2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by Merkin »

That's a pretty cool device. Don't need any more Pastners anymore shagging down the shots.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Someone get on his footwork, immediately.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Really surprised at how fluid his form look...promising.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:Someone get on his footwork, immediately.
What do you see, Clip?

Dominant, staggered stance, feet angled to the side of the basket (all good things)... From this angle its tough to tell but: is he angled and staggered too far? Looks like he's shooting over his knee here, jumping laterally across the basketball court instead of into his shot. The degree of stance tilt is up to the shooter, and this camera angle exaggerates his... but are you seeing too much tilt?

Hard to see his left foot... but it looks like he's getting most of his lift from his right knee, with his left foot coming down much more softly than his leading right foot. Instead of those two heading together (right foot staggered in front of the left, as a righty) towards to the basket or slightly angled off of it, his right foot moves across the court to his left with his left foot sliding up and in behind it. His right knee then stays extra stiff on the landing and his left knee extra soft.

Any of that right?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
What do you see, Clip?

Dominant, staggered stance, feet angled to the side of the basket (all good things)... From this angle its tough to tell but: is he angled and staggered too far? Looks like he's shooting over his knee here, jumping laterally across the basketball court instead of into his shot. The degree of stance tilt is up to the shooter, and this camera angle exaggerates his... but are you seeing too much tilt?

Hard to see his left foot... but it looks like he's getting most of his lift from his right knee, with his left foot coming down much more softly than his leading right foot. Instead of those two heading together (right foot staggered in front of the left, as a righty) towards to the basket or slightly angled off of it, his right foot moves across the court to his left with his left foot sliding up and in behind it. His right knee then stays extra stiff on the landing and his left knee extra soft.

Any of that right?
He has his right foot move at a Lonzo Ball angle to the rim. Having better knee bend wouldb't hurt either.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
What do you see, Clip?

Any of that right?
He has his right foot move at a Lonzo Ball angle to the rim. Having better knee bend wouldb't hurt either.
I was thinking the same thing re: Ball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
What do you see, Clip?

Any of that right?
I was thinking the same thing re: Ball.
His release is way nicer looking than Lonzo's, but he has the same foot organization relative to the rim.

Maybe he's pigeon toed, and that contributes. That said, his upper body is lined up with the rim, but his lower body doesn't seem to be as lined up. That leads to the inconsistency that Lonzo's had issues with, missing left and right. The best shooter miss short and long but never right/left.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

YoDeFoe wrote:
What do you see, Clip?

Any of that right?
There is certainly more than one style in regard to footwork on jumpers. That said, he does a few noticeable things that I personally would correct, although some of this might be based on the camera angle.

First, im not letting him 1-2 into the shot. Work on shooting from the hop and keeping your base square. Especially if he is going to be catching and shooting off kick outs. Like you say, his dominant foot is a) angled across his body (or appears to be from this angle) and b) he is leaning to his dominant foot, which is screwing with his balance, and then causing him to lean forward into his shot with his right shoulder. Plus, some more knee flex, like Spiff mentioned. Looks a bit stiff, and I would bet his jumper in practice doesnt translate as well in-game because of the moving parts in his base right now.

Need to see a better angle and his full motion, but those were the things that stood out immediately. Overall, not bad all things considered. Just a bit frustrating having watched Trier and PJC, two of our better shooters, struggle through some rough stretches from distance, which I chalk up to awkward footwork.

Trier would shoot much like we are discussing. Right foot pointing across his body, turning his right shoulder in and going up somewhat sideways. PJC's base was always spread out, right foot distinctively forward, pulling his legs back up into his ass in some cases. Its why I never trusted him shooting that ball until mid way through his senior year. His base was in flux all the time.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I was taught to one, two step into the J like you were doing a straight up vertical jump. The reasoning was that you're trying to hit the most stable and powerful position to launch in a straight line up so you didn't have to correct motion with your release.

I'd like to see how it works in the game. He's noticeably not really jumping a ton and relaxed on the release. Throw him into a game situation and see if either changes.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I think most players use, and practice, both the 1-2 and hop. I just watched some Durant catch and shoot videos and he practices both. For me it is super awkward to hop into a C&S three off a drive and kick. But if I am running hard, maybe off a screen, and stopping my momentum to shoot it is natural to hop.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

SunnyAZ wrote:I think most players use, and practice, both the 1-2 and hop. I just watched some Durant catch and shoot videos and he practices both. For me it is super awkward to hop into a C&S three off a drive and kick. But if I am running hard, maybe off a screen, and stopping my momentum to shoot it is natural to hop.
Yea or it also feels like the pull up J. For all we know he did the next set C&S. I think he looks good - fluid, natural stroke. Good release point. Compared to some of our frosh wings in recent memory, i'd say he's well ahead of the curve..
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm scouring our players' instagram posts looking for workout footage bc I have a problem.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.tucson.com" target="_blank

While he was given a scholarship for the upcoming season, junior Jake DesJardins has also been handed some adversity. DesJardins underwent shoulder surgery this summer, and Miller said he won’t likely be cleared fully until October or November.

“He was here for summer II (UA’s second full summer semester) but his charge now is to rehab and get healthy,” Miller said.

The 6-foot-6-inch forward played in three games last season and might be used to help if UA has injury or foul trouble up front.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ira Lee super extreme DUI last Saturday. Cited and released. Also cited for going 29 over the speed limit back in May

How many games will he miss? 5?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I saw this article in the Melbourne Age today and it reminded me of Ray Smith He is working withthe team this year.

The knee Feller: plenty of mystery remains for footy's ACL expert

Not sure if that link works, i'll check it when I get home next week
Opening up someone’s knee after they have done their ACL, there is nothing inside that points to an obvious cause of the rupture.

“There is some evidence about the shape of the knee at the top of the tibia, it has got a slope on it and if that slope is higher, that might be a risk factor. You can see it on X-ray but are you going to go and change it? It’s a massive operation to go and change the slope of a knee,” Feller said.

There is no risk category for doing a first ACL, but once you have done one, you enter a new risk category.

“If you are under 20 when you have your first reconstruction, your risk [of another] goes up. If you are under 18 it really goes up that you will have another injury to the same knee, or the other knee,” Feller said.

“If you are a [young] male you have got a really high risk of further ACL injury.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UofA ranked #16 in Lindy's Pre-season Top-25
https://collegesportsmaven.io/arizona/b ... rJWCBbNIQ/" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Seems a little high. We may end up there by the seasons end but now if probably even have is unranked.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The media as a collective has no idea wtf this Arizona team will be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:The media as a collective has no idea wtf this Arizona team will be.
That's fair. Our entire season is based off projecting how new players will perform and how old players will respond to vastly increased roles. We don't have one guy who is playing the same role as last year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The media as a collective has no idea wtf this Arizona team will be.
That's fair. Our entire season is based off projecting how new players will perform and how old players will respond to vastly increased roles. We don't have one guy who is playing the same role as last year.
Yep, it's certainly hard to blame the media at all when we don't even know what the team will look like ourselves.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

For what its worth... Frank Burlison, who made that high projection, is based on the West Coast and has scouted our recruits better than 90% of the media. He was Lute's favorite evaluator of talent.

I like Oregon more than he does, Washington a lot more, and Arizona a bit less right now. But like everyone else says: we're doing a whole lot of projecting to pre-judge Arizona and so its all assumptions at this point.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This is good analysis:

But if a pair of grad transfers -- guard Justin Coleman and post Ryan Luther -- step in to blend with freshman guard Brandon Williams and ex-Duke center Chase Jeter ... well, there is enough of a sophomore foundation to think this team could be a Miller coach-'em-up special, with the kind of four-star talent he can develop without all the drama and NBA distractions of recent years.

It would be a huge plus if this squad just turns into Team Togetherness.

What I really enjoyed from the interviews we saw a few weeks back was how much this team sounded like Team Togetherness, and how much more present they all seem to be without the "three future NBA stars!" hype over their heads.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Athlon thinks I picked the right avatar for this season...

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Athlon thinks I picked the right avatar for this season...

I mean at least they picked a likely starter as the cover boy as opposed to at best the 2nd wing off the bench.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jeff Goodman puts Arizona outside of his preseason top 50.

Oregon at 17, Washington at 22, ASU, UCLA, and USC in the 25-50 group in that order.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Jeff Goodman puts Arizona outside of his preseason top 50.

Oregon at 17, Washington at 22, ASU, UCLA, and USC in the 25-50 group in that order.
Yeah not a fan of goodman and his need to be neutral in his reporting on his alma mater, which almost always comes off as biased against.

Still, hard to handicap this group. There is not a single player on the roster you can point to and say you know they are going to be good and make a consistent positive impact at doing XYorZ.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

baycat93 wrote:

Yeah not a fan of goodman and his need to be neutral in his reporting on his alma mater, which almost always comes off as biased against.

Still, hard to handicap this group. There is not a single player on the roster you can point to and say you know they are going to be good and make a consistent positive impact at doing XYorZ.
I can for certain - no chance this team is outside of the top 50 when all is said and done. I think we're a lower-end top 25 team, but not in the top 50 is outrageous imo.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

goslingswagg wrote:
baycat93 wrote:

I can for certain - no chance this team is outside of the top 50 when all is said and done. I think we're a lower-end top 25 team, but not in the top 50 is outrageous imo.
Swagg, I agree (with a heavy dash of trust in miller). I still feel like I could have some familiarity bias that adds to my belief. Should be a fun first couple of months watching this team come together.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Is it fair to say 18-19 is a "rebuilding year"? With Nico now on for next year and likely another top recruit or two joining him...is that our real time to shine? So is 18-19 more about getting guys to improve and seeing what we have at different positions?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Someone asked Omar what his vert was on his insta story and he said "it used to be 40 but with my knee..."

What happened with his knee?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Arizona makes the NCAA tournament. Look errr Book it
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona is going to better than most people think
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

SunnyAZ wrote:Someone asked Omar what his vert was on his insta story and he said "it used to be 40 but with my knee..."

What happened with his knee?
Me too, Omar. Me too.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Randolph is flying. 46.5" vert

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn5Am02H1lP/" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:Randolph is flying. 46.5" vert

No interest in seeing any of the players instagram posts of social media at at but lets hope he can put that together to be effective on the court
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

PHXCATS wrote:No interest in seeing any of the players instagram posts of social media at at
So you didn't watch it? Its jumping practice so makes sense
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:

No interest in seeing any of the players instagram posts of social media at at but lets hope he can put that together to be effective on the court
For someone with no interest in things you sure do go out of your way to make comments about how you’re not interested in those things.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:No interest in seeing any of the players instagram posts of social media at at
So you didn't watch it? Its jumping practice so makes sense
No why would I watch a college kid on social media or follow him? I dont know him. Weird to do it.

Hopefully this will mean he will finish at the rim a lot this year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:

Arizona is going to better than most people think
Jeff Goodman has never been known to be an unbiased commentator on Arizona Basketball.

Conversely, he’s always been known as an asshat who talks out of the side of his face for some strange reason.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:Is it fair to say 18-19 is a "rebuilding year"? With Nico now on for next year and likely another top recruit or two joining him...is that our real time to shine? So is 18-19 more about getting guys to improve and seeing what we have at different positions?
This team wont be competing for a final four or anything if that's what you mean. If every thing goes right it certainly is in play for the second weekend of the tourney though.

I do agree with 97 though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:

It's an 8 second video of him jumping. There's no explicit content and he keeps his clothes on. I don't know if that makes you any more or less interested, but that's the gist.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

PHXCATS wrote:Arizona makes the NCAA tournament. Look errr Book it
Izzat anything like 'Lock it in'?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

It's an 8 second video of him jumping. There's no explicit content and he keeps his clothes on. I don't know if that makes you any more or less interested, but that's the gist.
I have no interest in anyone's social media if I dont know them or if it isnt newsworthy. Especially college kids. Super weird and creepy and gives them too big an ego
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Lighten up Francis. They don't know you clicked on the link. You don't have to follow them to see the video.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

For someone with no interest in things you sure do go out of your way to make comments about how you’re not interested in those things.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PHXCATS wrote:says something stupid
No one cares about your "get off my lawn" philosophy re: social media. It's irrelevant to the conversation and worse it's a "look at me" distraction.

I'd honestly ban for this bullshit. Too many "PLEASE NOTICE ME" contrarian trash takes.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:Lighten up Francis. They don't know you clicked on the link. You don't have to follow them to see the video.
The idea of watching/following someone on social media when it isn't news and it isnt someone you know personally just weirds me out. Do you think the players look at your IG or Twitter or Facebook? Do you think they give a crap about you?

But if you get enjoyment out of it then have fun with it. To each their own.

Really hope he takes a big step up this year as he will be someone that the team depends on a lot when it is crunch time. Has a lot of talent. I do think this team will be very interesting to watch. Like Miller's first team at Arizona. Raw talent that hasn't fully come together yet but they will play hard and scrappy and I think they will gel together well come PAC-12 play. My guess is the 3 seed in Vegas and a 7 seed in the NCAA before things get back to normal next season.
Last edited by PHXCATS on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

YoDeFoe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:says something stupid
No one cares about your "get off my lawn" philosophy re: social media. It's irrelevant to the conversation and worse it's a "look at me" distraction.

I'd honestly ban for this bullshit. Too many "PLEASE NOTICE ME" contrarian trash takes.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

You really are a special kind of special Machina.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Lighten up Francis. They don't know you clicked on the link. You don't have to follow them to see the video.
The idea of watching/following someone on social media when it isn't news and it isnt someone you know personally just weirds me out. Do you think the players look at your IG or Twitter or Facebook? Do you think they give a crap about you?

But if you get enjoyment out of it then have fun with it. To each their own.

Really hope he takes a big step up this year as he will be someone that the team depends on a lot when it is crunch time. Has a lot of talent. I do think this team will be very interesting to watch. Like Miller's first team at Arizona. Raw talent that hasn't fully come together yet but they will play hard and scrappy and I think they will gel together well come PAC-12 play. My guess is the 3 seed in Vegas and a 7 seed in the NCAA before things get back to normal next season.
Yes, DeAndre Ayton and other Wildcats have slid into my DM's regularly.

It's only a big deal and creepy if you make it like that.