Red/Blue game is on October 18th!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: Red/Blue game is on October 18th!

Post by catgrad97 »

He knows, but no way does he care.

But hey, Stanford won the regular-season conference women's basketball title?! Larry is so there-y! :roll:
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

7 days until the red/blue game boys!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sadly I have to forfeit my ticket to my brothers gf who knows nothing about basketball since I'll be in probably el Paso during the game.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Has the replay time been set yet?

Why, yes it has, Gumby.

http://pac-12.com/article/2014/10/07/pa ... -730-pm-pt

7:30 PST. J.B. Long and Don "Stomp" MacLean with the call. DVR note: It follows a live show that follows live football, so it could start later.
Right where I want to be.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

What time is the football game? Is that on the Pac Network as well??
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CBCat wrote:What time is the football game? Is that on the Pac Network as well??
Bye week
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Since the Red vs Blue game isn't going to be televised live, and it's exhibition practice, do we want a game thread on it?

On an unrelated note, they won't have an autograph session after the game? that's freaking lame!
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... M_ID=30700
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I would like a game thread. I would also like a critique of __________'s performance and why he is/isn't going to be great this year.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I'm up for a game thread. I will have no other options than to follow along. Most relevant posts will be most appreciated.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i'll try and post some updates/pics from the game.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Hopefully they don't do that dumb dating game. Womens team a part of it this year?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:Since the Red vs Blue game isn't going to be televised live, and it's exhibition practice, do we want a game thread on it?
Even though I'm going, I think it's fun to have a game thread. Plus we can make fun of the Pac 12 announcers since I'm sure they'll say something ridiculous.

Do we know if they're airing the dunk contest as well? That's always fun to watch.
PieceOfMeat wrote:On an unrelated note, they won't have an autograph session after the game? that's freaking lame!
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... M_ID=30700
They haven't done an autograph session the past few years. I don't know if they used to, but I wish there was an easy way to get autographs from the basketball team.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
gumby

Post by gumby »

First post in the game thread: "Another f-ing slow start!"
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Any idea when rosters will be set for the red blue game?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

i would assume we woulda found out today or maybe tomorrow but who knows.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

It might not be until Saturday. I remember Miller saying that's something they could figure out 30 minutes before the game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Radio broadcast?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What time on Pac-12 net?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:What time on Pac-12 net?
Delayed at 7:30 Arizona time.
-JB
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Does anyone know if we will be able to watch the video on the pac-12 app at any time?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:What time on Pac-12 net?
Delayed at 7:30 Arizona time.
cool, thanks
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Hope Pac 12 shows this as well.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Red-Blue rosters announced

By Bruce Pascoe

UA has divided up its six potential starters carefully for today's Red-Blue Game:

Point guard T.J. McConnell will join Rondae Hollis-Jeffersona and center Kaleb Tarczewski on a red team that will face Brandon Ashley, Gabe York and Stanley Johnson.

The scrimmage will take place at some time after 3 p.m. today at McKale Center. A dunk contest and various videos are expected to precede the scrimmage.

The full rosters:

RED

G T.J. McConnell

G Elliott Pitts

F Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

F Craig Victor

C Kaleb Tarczewski

G Kadeem Allen

G Jacob Hazzard

F Drew Mellon

BLUE

G Parker Jackson-Cartwright

G Gabe York

G/F Stanley Johnson

F Brandon Ashley

C Dusan Ristic

F Matt Korcheck

G Trey Mason

F Ryan Anderson (will not play due to shoulder injury)

The dunk contest contestants are: York, Victor, Hollis-Jefferson, Allen and Johnson.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... 641b1.html
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

jameskelley520 @jameskelley520
Red (the more veteran side) leads 24-12 with 3:49 left in the first #ArizonaWildcats #RedBlueGame
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jon Gold @TheCoolSub
Surprise of the day at Arizona Red/Blue Game: Dusan Ristic outplaying Kaleb
Tarczewski. Ristic very nice in the post.

Bruce Pascoe @BrucePascoe
It's very, very early but Dusan Ristic sure doesn't look like a project. 14 for Blue already.

http://live.azstarnet.com/Event/Live_bl ... -Blue_game
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Jameskelley520 @jameskelley520
Red won 53-46 but with 17 points, 3 rebounds Stanley Johnson stole the show. Ristic scored 14 had 2 rebounds #ArizonaWildcats #RedBlueGame
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Reading some of the live blog posts (see link) on Miller's comments:

Zack Rosenblatt
Miller: “Kaleb is our most improved player. You didn’t see it tonight, but through 10 practices he might be our best player."

Miller on Rondae’s shot: “He’s shot thousands of shots in the offseason. He shoots better. That’s not his strength..” but he’s better

Miller: “I would be shocked if we didn’t have 4-5 players scoring in double figures."

Miller: “Today was really good for Brandon Ashley…he’s back full speed. Practicing well. Didn’t play well today, but you kinda expect that."

http://live.azstarnet.com/Event/Live_bl ... -Blue_game
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Just got back from the game. Ristic looked solid in the post. Its hard to put much meaning on the performance of a player in the red blue game, but his post moves were decisive and he has a really soft touch.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Last edited by NYCat on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Random thoughts and observations:

Dusan Ristic will play and not just in garbage time. He may be one of the most fundamentally sound players to come into the program in sone time. It is such a delight to see a player that knows how to use the glass from midrange. He altered several of Tarczewski's shots but Tarc consistently did the better job of blocking out and out-rebounded Ristic by a wide margin.

Rondae has improved his shot. Enjoy him this year.

T.J. shot is still terrible but he will probably end up logging the most minutes on the team. Backup PG could be a problem.

Stanley Johnson is pretty much as advertised.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This team looks ready to win a title right now.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Remember when Sidiki Johnson looked like Stanley Johnson in the red/blue
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

No
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Ristic should get his share of court time. Smooth moves near the hoop. Johnson wow, studly performance..maybe a "go to" guy later in the season? Rondae! Shots are falling..hard work paying off.
Ash is back, good to see him on the floor. When he's in game shape, look out. TJ's efforts stellar, but shots still shaky. Tarc a little off yesterday?
Last edited by HiCat on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

azcat49 wrote:Remember when Sidiki Johnson looked like Stanley Johnson in the red/blue

I get what you're trying to say and but we've moved on to a whole 'nother level ma man.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What I liked.

Stanley Johnson is terrific. Complete player who likes to compete. So big. So coordinated. He has that NBA third step down, but will get whistled on this level. Small thing to watch.

Rondae's shot looks better. Still a great finisher around the rim. A bit comcerned he will try to do too much. Sometimes guys like him can ease up defensively when they become more important offensively.

McConnell looks to be in total command. Supremely confident. Doesn't take plays off. Dove to get a steal on a ball that York should've easily picked up. Love that.

Ristic seems to embody what I've preached. You can be a great athlete, but without skills, it doesn't matter. He makes quick, decisive post moves and can go over either shoulder. Has a nice touch. That's all skill. For sure, he's limited defensively and on the boards, but will get PT because he has skills more athletic players don't have.

Craig Victor looked comfortable and effective. With him, Anderson and Ristic, the Rabb recruitment isn't so critical.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Miller is "all-in" on Tarc, it will be an interesting topic throughout the year with Ristic. Part of the reason why Ristic looked so dominant on the block is because Tarc still can't guard it.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

ZONACAT wrote:Miller is "all-in" on Tarc, it will be an interesting topic throughout the year with Ristic. Part of the reason why Ristic looked so dominant on the block is because Tarc still can't guard it.

From hints/posts read on scout through Ristic's commitment to Arizona I got/have the impression Ristic chose Arizona with the huge goal of development of his game and esp his strength and body to prepare for the NBA.
I agree of what you say of Miller and we've seen his loyalty "like this" every season with his players. See his NBA speak regarding TJ and we will hear it all year I suspect. It's one of the things that makes Miller great and a players coach but maybe can be a "weakness" too who knows? But my point is money talks for sure but I suspect Ristic is all in and is here to "develop" over the next couple years, has his goals and targets in mind and will stay to reach them. While we ride Tarc this season. I'm excited to see what Ristic brings the next two years. I'm also proud of what Miller is building in terms of development away from Basketball. I can see it's a point of emphasis that he enjoys providing some real building blocks away from Basketball for these guys within our University and community. You can see it through Rondae reaching out in some activities with Pres Hart/University this summer and you see it with Tarc too. I think it's pretty cool these guys get lots of opportunity here and not just basketball related. Miller is a great dude and really cares about these guys. And Pres Hart and Byrne obviously are really supporting what Miller is doing here. It's great and is paying dividends for everyone and whats the best is Miller is sincere about this and thee "education" of the guys.
catgrad97

My observations

Post by catgrad97 »

Rondae knows how to use the window. So many players never utilize that as an option. He looks stronger, more fluid.

Tarczewski either needs a fire lit under him or a new pair of hands, because Ristic made it look easy against
him. Why he's still finessing his opportunities around the rim in the paint instead of using his muscle at this point IMHO is probably indicative of his natural ceiling: His wingspan. A physical specimen like Kaleb should never be getting shots blocked at the rim after three years in this program, still. He should be a shotblocking force, in fact. And it happened multiple times in the first half alone Saturday. Disappointing.

York is York: Streaky. He hits his first shot, look out. He doesn't, he disappears and Miller will need other perimeter options that night.

Pitts will get all the time he wants this season if he can nail the three consistently when set up and develops serviceable ballhandling skills. First of he or York to be a threat off the dribble wins.

Allen has promise if he can be more than just an iso, step-back jumper kind of player. Can he shoot over a zone as soon as he receives the pass? Key to how much time we'll see from him this year.

Victor will be huge in games down the road. He already has a jumper out to the ft line and just needs to work on his post moves. He knows how to get his on the blocks.

Does TJ remember he has the green light on the kickout? He needs to show that dimension of his game now, not just when he is called on to do so.

Maclean's comparison of Stanley Johnson to James Harden is pretty accurate. When the shot clock is winding down and we need an option, he is No. 1.

Liked Korcheck's stepout J and block of Victor, who is behind Matt from the FT line and floor spacing IMO. We have four big options in the paint this year with little dropoff.

PJC is a mini-Damon. He'll make us laugh and cry this year as he gets the first-year jitters out. Kid can create points from anywhere on the floor, but again, I think perimeter shooting dictates his PT range this season. Hazzard can help there.

This is a different style of team than last year, one in which Brandon Ashley is still searching to find his new role. The defense will remain monstrous, but there's going to be more offense off the dribble and less around the rim. Two thumbs up to that, as last year's team proved too dependent on athleticism going to the hole.

A NBA-ready Tarczewski would be helpful. He shouldn't be going league on just height. Glad Ristic is here this year to push him, because nobody should be stopping Kaleb, much less making him fade away on post moves like he still did in the second half Saturday.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Starting 5 guesses? Will York make the list?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

HiCat wrote:Starting 5 guesses? Will York make the list?
No.
-JB
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

HiCat wrote:Starting 5 guesses? Will York make the list?
I know Miller has stated we have a starting 6, but the reality is TJ, Rondae and Stanley are guaranteed starting spots. No one can really compete with these three. I love Gabe, but he will never overtake them. There might be some jostling of the bigs if coach wants to go a bit smaller, but short of injury I will be shocked if TJ, Rondae and Stanley fail to start every single game this year.

The starters that will be pushed more by their backups will be Brandon and Zeus, which I think is a really good thing.

Regardless of which 5 start, I am putting my broken record back on the turntable: If Miller will use the bench (particularly the big guys) a lot in the first half of each game, and some in the second half, not only will it leave our starters fresh and out of foul trouble for the final 8 minutes but you might find a really hot hand from the bench that deserves more time at the end of the game. The knowledge that all of the top 9 players will play some each game will make everyone better, develop incredible team chemistry, keep the entire team engaged throughout the game, and avoid the Achilles' heal we have had the last couple of years: bigs who get in foul trouble (remember AG getting his 3rd in the first half at Colorado?) and/or wear down at the end of the game.

We were massive (as one of our favorite posters liked to say) last year, particularly before Brandon broke his foot. With Stanley playing the 2 and Craig and Ristic off of the bench, we are even more massive this year. Here's hoping the coaches take full advantage of this advantage! If so, these guys may be close to unbeatable. We shall see.

Go Cats!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ZONACAT wrote:Miller is "all-in" on Tarc, it will be an interesting topic throughout the year with Ristic. Part of the reason why Ristic looked so dominant on the block is because Tarc still can't guard it.

This is not true at all. Basing things off of a glorified scrimmage is foolish. Miller has stated that Zeus is dominant on the defensive end in practice:

“He’s a remarkable defensive player,” Miller said. “At his size, his agility, his understanding, his physicalness, rebounding and just how well he moves, he impacts the game on defense a lot like Nick and Aaron did.”

Some fans are hilarious.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

In the game that I watched Ristic's defense caused Tarczewski to alter/miss many of his shots (2/8). Zeus did not alter any of Ristic's (7/8).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

KaibabKat wrote:In the game that I watched Ristic's defense caused Tarczewski to alter/miss many of his shots (2/8). Zeus did not alter any of Ristic's (7/8).

Game? Really?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

LOL ok.

This just in, Zues gets manhandled by St. Marys during the "Game" on Nov. 2nd.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It's a practice guys. Can't believe they charge for it. ;)
-JB
eoe

Post by eoe »

It's generally tough to gauge or project how good a player will be in games like this, but this wasn't a typical exhibition game. They were going hard at each other and you have a top ranked team with incredible depth facing off against itself. I think it's fair to say Ristic is the real deal early on.

I'm not worried about the defense one bIt, that includes Rondae. He's not the type of personality that eases up on that end when his offensive game is excelling and he has everyone's attention.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Column: Takeaways from McDonald's Red-Blue Game

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/ ... -blue-game