Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by YoDeFoe »

There's a whole group of ESPN folk who have super hurt feelings bc Arizona fans were mean to them ...because they spread lies that hurt and could have ruined our program.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck that guy seriously.

And fuck crying Roy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I honestly don't get what his hard on is with us. I mean I understand why ESPN is more than willing to ship us down the river and not give a shit (we have our wonderful hairplug wearing commissioner to thank for that), but Dick's coworkers sans Schlabach of course aren't on a tirade against Arizona like he is. Unless Sean told him to fuck off a time or two I honestly don't get it. He does link the AZ Star a lot though, maybe he's buddies with Hansen?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

when Dick Vitale dies, I am going to find where he is buried and piss on his grave. I might go to hell for it but spending eternity in damnation will be worth it
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:
F*** Dickie V too. His boy Pitino is getting the worst of this, KU is next up, and he picks us.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

So today we're on the Nassir Little portion, where an Adidas AAU coach told the Adidas guys we had an 150K offer for Little, so he could literally rob the Adidas guys of money and keep it for himself. For all references to how this affects Arizona refer to this tweet. Augustine was a con man and he was conning these Adidas dipshits out of money.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Also Ayton's family didn't even get the money directly, so there's even less to this than originally thought.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:So today we're on the Nassir Little portion, where an Adidas AAU coach told the Adidas guys we had an 150K offer for Little, so he could literally rob the Adidas guys of money and keep it for himself. For all references to how this affects Arizona refer to this tweet. Augustine was a con man and he was conning these Adidas dipshits out of money.
You think Book is keeping notes on this portion of the trial to analogize himself to the AAU coach?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Also Ayton's family didn't even get the money directly, so there's even less to this than originally thought.
Nothing exemplifies the state of AAU recruiting and CBB's current system like passing $15,000 to a guy you know only as "Larnelle," in hopes of getting an in with DeAndre Ayton.

Dammit Larnelle, you let me down big on this, if that is your real name.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Whats the odds that people will correct the story today saying a guy paid a friend of the family in hopes that he would pass it on to Ayton? Vs just keeping it as Miller paid Ayton. Same odds as me hitting the Powerball?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

On Vitale: some of you young'ens were still in diapers when Lute was on the sidelines, but I remember in '98, Vitale was in town for our game against Stanford. My friend and I were pumped and got there crazy early, and there was Vitale, chumming it up with the local media and taking pics with students. He was getting asked questions about that AZ team and Lute, and he made Lute sound like the second coming of John Wooden. I remember feeling happy that Vitale regarded Lute and our program so highly since in those days Vitale was sort of the face of college basketball media.

So I suspect this has something to do with Miller. Vitale doesn't like him, clearly. I also think Vitale's faculties are declining a bit. He turns 80 next year. It's unfortunate that he's decided to be so recklessly judgmental towards AZ while other schools escape his criticism.
prh

Post by prh »

Gilbertcat wrote:Whats the odds that people will correct the story today saying a guy paid a friend of the family in hopes that he would pass it on to Ayton? Vs just keeping it as Miller paid Ayton. Same odds as me hitting the Powerball?
Zero chance
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I honestly don't get what his hard on is with us. I mean I understand why ESPN is more than willing to ship us down the river and not give a shit (we have our wonderful hairplug wearing commissioner to thank for that), but Dick's coworkers sans Schlabach of course aren't on a tirade against Arizona like he is. Unless Sean told him to fuck off a time or two I honestly don't get it. He does link the AZ Star a lot though, maybe he's buddies with Hansen?
100% because we're eviscerating him on Twitter. It's probably why Schlabach is still fucking with us as well. ESPN either doesn't notice, or like you said, is happy to let them roil us.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:I honestly don't get what his hard on is with us. I mean I understand why ESPN is more than willing to ship us down the river and not give a shit (we have our wonderful hairplug wearing commissioner to thank for that), but Dick's coworkers sans Schlabach of course aren't on a tirade against Arizona like he is. Unless Sean told him to fuck off a time or two I honestly don't get it. He does link the AZ Star a lot though, maybe he's buddies with Hansen?
100% because we're eviscerating him on Twitter. It's probably why Schlabach is still fucking with us as well. ESPN either doesn't notice, or like you said, is happy to let them roil us.
There’s a “chicken & the egg” thing going on here, but we know which came first.

At this point Dick NEEDS Miller to be guilty. Otherwise he just looks like a bitter old man who did everything to deflect blame from his paisans...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:At this point Dick NEEDS Miller to be guilty. Otherwise he just looks like a bitter old man who did everything to deflect blame from his paisans...
I think the "bitter old man" tag is now permanently affixed to his forehead.

The minute Vitale (and others) kept insisting on Miller's guilt, after Miller looked the world in the eye and said his hands are clean, he sealed his fate as a biased prick.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
There’s a “chicken & the egg” thing going on here, but we know which came first.

At this point Dick NEEDS Miller to be guilty. Otherwise he just looks like a bitter old man who did everything to deflect blame from his paisans...
Good call.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:On Vitale: some of you young'ens were still in diapers when Lute was on the sidelines, but I remember in '98, Vitale was in town for our game against Stanford. My friend and I were pumped and got there crazy early, and there was Vitale, chumming it up with the local media and taking pics with students. He was getting asked questions about that AZ team and Lute, and he made Lute sound like the second coming of John Wooden. I remember feeling happy that Vitale regarded Lute and our program so highly since in those days Vitale was sort of the face of college basketball media.

So I suspect this has something to do with Miller. Vitale doesn't like him, clearly. I also think Vitale's faculties are declining a bit. He turns 80 next year. It's unfortunate that he's decided to be so recklessly judgmental towards AZ while other schools escape his criticism.
Part of it is protecting his boy Pitino. Vitale loves Pitino, and the only chance that Pitino isn't the face of this scandal is to try to make Miller the face.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:At this point Dick NEEDS Miller to be guilty. Otherwise he just looks like a bitter old man who did everything to deflect blame from his paisans...
I think the "bitter old man" tag is now permanently affixed to his forehead.

The minute Vitale (and others) kept insisting on Miller's guilt, after Miller looked the world in the eye and said his hands are clean, he sealed his fate as a biased prick.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

I wonder if a lot of this is because Rick sent hookers to his best friend Dick?

You never forget a best friend when they lend a hand to make you smile.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Do you think he is talking about his buddy Pitino?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Louisville & NC State are the only schools so far that have been implicated in saying they're asst coaches were taking money to give to recruits. Kansas is kind of in the middle, apparently they worked so Self didn't know but they're looking not so good. Although every guy has said they didn't want the coaches and schools to know anything. Pitino looks slightly better but Louisville looks worse.

Ultimately, I don't the NCAA does anything, at worst scrub records and vacate wins. FBI says the institutions are the victims and getting defrauded.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote:Do you think he is talking about his buddy Pitino?
It's also sort of funny he's all shocked and upset that young African American men are getting paid because they have marketable talents. The sleazy horror of it all!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Shoutout to Scheer for finding this one.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I mean he could at least acknowledge Bill Self at this point if he wants to blame the head coaches of programs.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
It's also sort of funny he's all shocked and upset that young African American men are getting paid because they have marketable talents. The sleazy horror of it all!
How dare anyone make money off their talent besides the schools, coaches, and broadcasters!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Russ Smith...still obsessed. Like Vitale his focus on this whole affair is Arizona and no other. Hope UCLA gets more seriously wrapped up just to fuck with Russ.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Admittedly, I am not following this as closely as others on this board. However, this all seems like whole lot of nothing? Am I missing something?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ESPN refuses to report the facts in evidence. This is slander...
He said no such fucking thing about Ayton’s father. What the fuck?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Chicat wrote:ESPN refuses to report the facts in evidence. This is slander...
He said no such fucking thing about Ayton’s father. What the fuck?
Fwiw the article Borzello wrote up doesn't say "payments made to father" but "payments made to family member." But making Ayton the face of this thing is what ESPN will do, a #1 overall pick supposedly involved in this sells more.

But even the money to Ayton's family is wrong, tweet below
ChooChooCat wrote:Also Ayton's family didn't even get the money directly, so there's even less to this than originally thought.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Any accountants here? Any audit experience? I mean, can you imagine running the audit for Adidas and the cash expenditures for players? What is the ROI?
I find it hysterical (if true), that some guy solicited money from Adidas (thousands) to give to a friend of Ayton. Ayton then goes to play for a Nike school and signs with Puma.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

What will Ayton do once the season starts and ESPN sticks a microphone & camera in his face to talk about his stellar rookie season? I've love for Ayton to grab a UA hat, smile at the camera and tells ESPN to pound sand. And that Sean Miller says "hello."
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Has Dickie V been living in a bubble? The guy has been around the inner-workings of college basketball for decades -- like he hasn't heard rumors over the years of how the system is rigged. Yes, for some reason he hates Miller, but he truly wonders in a sarcastic manner how head coaches had no idea what was going on, then he has to start admitting that Bill Self, Roy Williams, Dana Altman, etc. have had a hand in all of this. He is such a phony.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Dick keeps replying to fans. I'm stunned by how tied to Twitter this old dude is.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Light him up boys.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

YoDeFoe wrote:Dick keeps replying to fans. I'm stunned by how tied to Twitter this old dude is.
The last few years have made it clear that the world doesn’t need a direct feed into the minds of old men with deteriorating intellects. When do people admit that it’s time to retire from public life? We suffered through it with the ugly end of the Lute era and the people most responsible are the ones around who enable the sad behavior of old people who no longer have the mental faculties to be the face of multimillion dollar organizations.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

UAdevil wrote:Russ Smith...still obsessed. Like Vitale his focus on this whole affair is Arizona and no other. Hope UCLA gets more seriously wrapped up just to fuck with Russ.
It’s hyste at this point. He’s just repeating himself like a much more long-winded Dick Bitale
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

zonagrad wrote:Any accountants here? Any audit experience? I mean, can you imagine running the audit for Adidas and the cash expenditures for players? What is the ROI?
I find it hysterical (if true), that some guy solicited money from Adidas (thousands) to give to a friend of Ayton. Ayton then goes to play for a Nike school and signs with Puma.
It's a $21 billion dollar company that is headquarter'd in Europe. No way it's on anyone's radar.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Dick keeps replying to fans. I'm stunned by how tied to Twitter this old dude is.
The last few years have made it clear that the world doesn’t need a direct feed into the minds of old men with deteriorating intellects. When do people admit that it’s time to retire from public life? We suffered through it with the ugly end of the Lute era and the people most responsible are the ones around who enable the sad behavior of old people who no longer have the mental faculties to be the face of multimillion dollar organizations.
Ain't that the fucking truth.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

zonagrad wrote:Any accountants here? Any audit experience? I mean, can you imagine running the audit for Adidas and the cash expenditures for players? What is the ROI?
I assume it is on expense sheets as "Grassroots" or "Development - AAU". Just a slush fund, basically.

A lot of times, the kids have no idea someone has their hand out behind them. It could very well be there was money seeded to get him to go to KU, and he decided he didn't want to go to KU.

Would make for an interesting eligibility case. Can inducements paid to people who, in the end, have no influence, even if they are family, threaten the eligibility of a player who did not know of the payments and made a decision independent of advisors that went against their paid-for advice?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
I assume it is on expense sheets as "Grassroots" or "Development - AAU". Just a slush fund, basically.

A lot of times, the kids have no idea someone has their hand out behind them. It could very well be there was money seeded to get him to go to KU, and he decided he didn't want to go to KU.

Would make for an interesting eligibility case. Can inducements paid to people who, in the end, have no influence, even if they are family, threaten the eligibility of a player who did not know of the payments and made a decision independent of advisors that went against their paid-for advice?
The NCAA rules create the shadowy figures here. That's one reason I like allowing athletes to make money off their likeness. Instead of throwing money at random hangers on, Adidas could just sign Ayton. The money would actually be routed to the person who deserves it instead of having to run through back channels.

The end result would be basically the same.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: The NCAA rules create the shadowy figures here. That's one reason I like allowing athletes to make money off their likeness. Instead of throwing money at random hangers on, Adidas could just sign Ayton. The money would actually be routed to the person who deserves it instead of having to run through back channels.

The end result would be basically the same.
You and I have gone back and forth on allowing increased revenue streams to players (in various forms)... while I still think this is essentially legalized bribery, rather than the good old fashioned low key bribery we've currently got, I overwhelmingly agree that it's better to be transparent and clear about where the money is coming from and to whom it is going. Draw back the curtains and the shadows scatter.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Sorry for not following this as closely as some.

Has Arizona even been mentioned at all in this trial? Is Ayton only mentioned in hopes of luring him to Kansas?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

EVCat wrote:

Wouldn't this be similar to the Cam Newton case? His dad was trying to get money from Mississippi St but he went to Auburn. The NCAA ruled that Cam and Auburn knew nothing about it so there were no violations. It was something like that anyway.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Alieberman wrote:Sorry for not following this as closely as some.

Has Arizona even been mentioned at all in this trial? Is Ayton only mentioned in hopes of luring him to Kansas?
Not directly. Allegedly Nasir Little would have gotten money to attend Arizona as well as other schools. But this isn’t the trial with the most direct link. That’ll be when Book Richardson is in the dock. I haven’t been following too closely either so everything I just said may be full of crap.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Not directly. Allegedly Nasir Little would have gotten money to attend Arizona as well as other schools. But this isn’t the trial with the most direct link. That’ll be when Book Richardson is in the dock. I haven’t been following too closely either so everything I just said may be full of crap.
Pretty sure this is accurate, Jove. Book's court date is what could potentially impact AZ.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Here's a great recap of the events so far. #1 is all about Arizona.

https://www.flohoops.com/articles/62545 ... ball-trial" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Arizona never offered shit for Nassir Little. Proof it was all to scheme Adidas out of money.