let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ChooChooCat »

Drew Timme will officially visit us in the next week or so. We're in his final 5, but we're probably sitting 4th at best at the moment.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
So, a pay cut vs college to play in Fort Wayne.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Disagree

I think a good amount of kids will choose this path as they can simply focus on basketball and not have to go to School

College Basketball exposure is not what it once was especially if that said player is only looking at being in school 1 year.

Step in the right direction in my opinion though from the standpoint if a kid needs money and does not want to go to College, has a better avenue now
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:Disagree

I think a good amount of kids will choose this path as they can simply focus on basketball and not have to go to School

College Basketball exposure is not what it once was especially if that said player is only looking at being in school 1 year.

Step in the right direction in my opinion though from the standpoint if a kid needs money and does not want to go to College, has a better avenue now
How much is a good amount of kids? I mean there's a few academic casualty kids and Kobi Simmonses out there that this is great for. Most kids as a business decision though will continue to choose the NCAA and it wont even be close.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

125K at 18 is a sh*t-ton of money, especially for kids who grew up poor.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:125K at 18 is a sh*t-ton of money, especially for kids who grew up poor.
Doesnt matter if they're exposed versus more mature players who are getting paid 30k and fighting to make it to the league. That 125k for one season is fools gold.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:125K at 18 is a sh*t-ton of money, especially for kids who grew up poor.
Doesnt matter if they're exposed versus more mature players who are getting paid 30k and fighting to make it to the league. That 125k for one season is fools gold.
It certainly sounds like that's what agents are saying this afternoon.

Following this logic...is there *any* salary amount that would effectively incentivize the G League? 250K? 500??
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Ouch! Duke is now going to have to raise their recruiting dollars in order to keep players from going to the NBA.

...Anyone for $150K...How about $200K...?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

it was called the development league (now gatorade league lol) but it is barely basketball. Kadeem Allen was freaking dropping 30 a couple of times. Almost everything about it es no bueno. Well now except for the money.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

How much is a good amount of kids? I mean there's a few academic casualty kids and Kobi Simmonses out there that this is great for. Most kids as a business decision though will continue to choose the NCAA and it wont even be close.
I could see 5-10 players doing this. To me that's a good amount.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

In no way is this going to fix the one and done problem. The top talent won't go this route unless they really hate school or can't meet the minimums(Shareef). Plus there's way more money available overseas. Ferguson got $1M from Australia? He wasn't even in the top 15 in the 2016 Class

Will be interesting to see who the GLeague makes offers to and who accepts
Ayton got $8M at 19 years old. The 20th pick in the draft is making $2.1M this season.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Sorry, when I said a good amount of players I did not mean the players like a Deandre Ayton. I mean more 3-4 star guys who hate school. I actually could see a decent

Deandre Ayton in 3 years is not going to college and going straight to the league.

I could see the guy who hates school just doing this. Like the 10th round pick in the MLB draft who goes straight to Professional baseball. Figuring if he craps out at 22, he can always go back to school (Which they will usually not do)

Both the NFL and NBA have long used college football and basketball as their minor leagues. NFL seems hell bent on continuing that for the foreseeable future while the NBA seems the opposite. It appears the NBA really wants to control player development more and create a better minor league system.

Not necessarily good for college basketball long term
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Can a 3★/4★ even make a G league roster out of HS? And if they did would they even play? The G league will be filled with college all stars, former 5★ prospects, former high prospects on two way contracts etc. And they're not getting the elite prospect money, they're getting paid shit.

Depending on how weak or strong a recruiting class is, usually only the top 13-15 prospects could do this without exposing weakness, not playing, etc
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

I think only ineligible guys are gonna do this. There are so many downsides, no matter where you're ranked. Not to mention agents are saying they would never advise someone doing it, that says something right there.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

This will be the new norm in a generation or less. $125k for 5 months, plus agent marketing and other benefits, no class, no act scores, and professional development. Prodigies could go full aau and give high school a middle finger. Granted, not all guys can command top dollar, but I think we project our love of college on a lot of guys that just want to ball and could care less about a college campus.

Will the Gleague take college basketball’s place on tv and interest? Hope not, but fear it will
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Per class? No way. Keep in mind this is meant for "elite players." The definition of that is up in the air certainly, but what normal people would consider elite roughly 99.5% would say fuck off to the G league for 125k.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

The best thing about playing college basketball is being a star on campus. No one cares about the gleague. You ain't getting no honeys in Sioux Falls lol.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

NYCat wrote:Can a 3★/4★ even make a G league roster out of HS? And if they did would they even play? The G league will be filled with college all stars, former 5★ prospects, former high prospects on two way contracts etc. And they're not getting the elite prospect money, they're getting paid shit.

Depending on how weak or strong a recruiting class is, usually only the top 13-15 prospects could do this without exposing weakness, not playing, etc
Yes they can

Kadeem Allen looks like the next coming of messiah in the G league. Heck I think chance comanche our up points in the G league
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Per class? No way. Keep in mind this is meant for "elite players." The definition of that is up in the air certainly, but what normal people would consider elite roughly 99.5% would say fuck off to the G league for 125k.
I think everyone here is missing the bigger point. NBA is trying to create a minor league system under Adam Silver that does look at bypassing college. Is it perfect yet, heck no but they are progressive steps forward from relying on college basketball to be their minor league system

If elite players don’t take $125k maybe they will take $500k. Point is NBA is making interesting changes

This coupled with removing one and done rule has major implications for college basketball over the next five years

Guys goals are to get to the league. If nba figured out a better way to do that then college guys will take it. My point is the NBA is clearly actively trying to create that better way.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I think everyone here is missing the bigger point. NBA is trying to create a minor league system under Adam Silver that does look at bypassing college. Is it perfect yet, heck no but they are progressive steps forward from relying on college basketball to be their minor league system

If elite players don’t take $125k maybe they will take $500k. Point is NBA is making interesting changes

This coupled with removing one and done rule has major implications for college basketball over the next five years

Guys goals are to get to the league. If nba figured out a better way to do that then college guys will take it. My point is the NBA is clearly actively trying to create that better way.
Once again, dominating your peers or remaining a mystery leads to being drafted higher, which leads to a longer guaranteed contract, and much more money, even if your fictional reality of $500K to every G League player comes true (spoiler alert, it won't).

Once the age restriction is over in 2022ish the real elite HS talent will just go pro and the secondary elite talent will dominate their talent pool in college and benefit tremendously in the draft for it.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

[/quote]Once again, dominating your peers or remaining a mystery leads to being drafted higher, which leads to a longer guaranteed contract, and much more money, even if your fictional reality of $500K to every G League player comes true (spoiler alert, it won't).

Once the age restriction is over in 2022ish the real elite HS talent will just go pro and the secondary elite talent will dominate their talent pool in college and benefit tremendously in the draft for it.[/quote]

I simply disagree from the standpoint that I think players will view the GLeague much more beneficially to doing what they ultimately want which is to play basketball professionally. It is not just about the $125K but all the other benefits the NBA is saying they will provide that will help prepare these guys for being a professional basketball player. Now will the GLeague ever get to $500K probably not, but they are providing alternatives that are much more attractive then they ever have been. Keep in mind too, these guys can now get endorsement deals so will add to $125K.

Look at this video and see the reaction of two former players. They seem very positive on this and thats really to me the most important opinion.

Dismissing this or thinking it will not affect College Basketball to me is short sided. Outside of the NCAA tournament, College Basketball has been on the decline for many years (attendance, TV ratings, etc) and decreasing the talent pool will only hurt the game further.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

They are just trying to mimic minor league baseball but the problem is college basketball is big time compared to college baseball plus the fact that in most cases players need to cut their teeth in the minor leagues before going to the show while that's not the case in basketball.

I get what they are trying to do but until the D league becomes a legitimate pipeline to the NBA throwing some extra money to the players are not going to entice NBA type players to skip the 1-and-done path they now have available to them.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Newportcat wrote:Once again, dominating your peers or remaining a mystery leads to being drafted higher, which leads to a longer guaranteed contract, and much more money, even if your fictional reality of $500K to every G League player comes true (spoiler alert, it won't).

Once the age restriction is over in 2022ish the real elite HS talent will just go pro and the secondary elite talent will dominate their talent pool in college and benefit tremendously in the draft for it.

I simply disagree from the standpoint that I think players will view the GLeague much more beneficially to doing what they ultimately want which is to play basketball professionally. It is not just about the $125K but all the other benefits the NBA is saying they will provide that will help prepare these guys for being a professional basketball player. Now will the GLeague ever get to $500K probably not, but they are providing alternatives that are much more attractive then they ever have been. Keep in mind too, these guys can now get endorsement deals so will add to $125K.

Look at this video and see the reaction of two former players. They seem very positive on this and thats really to me the most important opinion.

Dismissing this or thinking it will not affect College Basketball to me is short sided. Outside of the NCAA tournament, College Basketball has been on the decline for many years (attendance, TV ratings, etc) and decreasing the talent pool will only hurt the game further.
I support this 100%.

In fact, the next step could be trying to set up a minimum college commitment similar to baseball's - three years there. However, I think that is contingent upon baseball's anti-trust exemption - correct?

IMNSHO, anything that reduces/eliminates "one-and-done" would be beneficial for the college game....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The G-League is bad at transitioning kids from high schoolers getting fed by their mom's into professional athletes.

College basketball is very good at helping kids make that transition.

Arizona has a whole program of teaching kids to be on time, how to talk to the media, how to eat, how to lift, how to recover, how to train, and what "being away from home" is really like. Heck - Miller has said the hardest part is just teaching incoming freshman what basketball terminology means - says its like teaching a foreign language. They don't know!

You want to get buckets up at 5am? Text a manager and they'll pick you up on a golf cart and rebound all morning for you. Want to mess around with a Keto diet? Tell the team nutritionist and they make it happen, free of charge. Want to blow off steam? Whole team lives in a mile radius and you're the toast of the town.

There just aren't a lot of kids who have the mental ability to go straight to professional basketball. You ever hear the story about Kwame Brown? Dudes came over to his apartment and found a whole pile of dirty clothes... Kwame had been wearing shit once and then tossing them in the corner, because no one taught him to do laundry and no one was there to look out for him.

You play at Arizona, you play in the Pac-12 - you're part of a brotherhood. TJ McConnell and Zach LaVine were chatting after the Sixers v Bulls game last night. Stanley and Zo practice against each other in the offseason.

If the G-League can replicate all that, if they somehow become both a place where they help kids become young adults while also being a place that has dudes in their late 20's hustling... that'd solve half the problem. The other half - kids playing against dudes in their late 20's hustling - would still remain.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

I think YDF hits on the most important piece to this. Mentality, Drive, Determination. Kobe, Lebron, KG. The elite of the elite (MJ/Steph) have a mental approach far beyond even their most successful peers. There are lesser talented guys who likely have this same attitude. Those guys can and maybe should go to the Gleague or pro. It is everyone else that it becomes so much more risky.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Anyway, back to recruiting. It's looking like Arizona will be done with recruiting in November (at least high school prospects). Fire up the 2020 thread

• Terry Armstrong: will decide soon, taking a visit to UNM. Heavy favorites here
• Zeke Nnaji: decides in November after all of his visits. Down to KU & UA. Robinson-Earl committing first to Kansas could help
• Jeremiah Robinson-Earl: decides sometime in November. Feels like KU, UNC, Nova are ahead
• Drew Timme: decides in November, feels like Arizona is way behind.

Scholarship count for 2019-2020 is looking tight..

1. Nico Mannion*
2. Josh Green*
3. Christian Koloko*
4. Chase Jeter
5. Ira Lee
6. Devonaire Doutrive
7. Brandon Williams
8. Terry Armstrong*
9. Dylan Smith**
10. Emmanuel Akot**
11. Stone Gettings
12. Brandon Randolph**
13. Alex Barcello

* 2018 recruit
** If they return to Arizona

Smith grad transferring is possiblity if he loses minutes this season, that opens up a spot. One or both of Akot/Randolph entering the draft also opens up another scholarship or two.

Frankly I like all the versatility, athleticism, multiple ball handlers etc Arizona could have at the wing. Beyond Jeter, just park Koloko down low to protect the rim and grab boards and let the wings do their thing.
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

NYCat wrote:Anyway, back to recruiting. It's looking like Arizona will be done with recruiting in November. Fire up the 2020 thread

• Terry Armstrong: will decide soon, taking a visit to UNM. Heavy favorites here
• Zeke Nnaji: decides in November after all of his visits. Down to KU & UA. Robinson-Earl committing first to Kansas could help
• Jeremiah Robinson-Earl: decides sometime in November. Feels like KU, UNC, Nova are ahead
• Drew Timme: decides in November, feels like Arizona is way being

1. Nico Mannion*
2. Josh Green*
3. Christian Koloko*
4. Chase Jeter
5. Ira Lee
6. Devonaire Doutrive
7. Brandon Williams
8. Terry Armstrong*
9. Dylan Smith**
10. Emmanuel Akot**
11. Stone Gettings
12. Brandon Randolph**
13. Alex Barcello

* 2018 recruit

Smith grad transferring is possiblity if he loses minutes this season, that opens up a spot. One or both of Akot/Randolph entering the draft also opens up another scholarship.

Frankly I like all the versatility, athleticsm Arizona could have at the wing. Beyond Jeter, just park Koloko down low to protect the rim and grab boards and let the wings do their thing.
Love this. Obviously don't have any inside knowledge but I would be surprised as of now if Dylan Smith came back next year, I would guess he grad transfers. I would also guess we lose at least one more guy...Akot/Randolph to the draf potentially, maybe Barcello as a transfer. If we can snag Armstrong (likely) and Nnaji (maybe 50/50 here), this would be an absolutely fantastic class. If no Nnaji, potentially a traditional transfer for 2020. Either way, has the makings of a national title contender imo. Key will be Williams coming back...if he does, I think we have the best group of guards/wings in the country next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newport you're point about the G league being a better developer of talent isnt unfounded, however you're missing so much on this man. For one if a kid goes straight to the G league then they're not tied to any NBA team, hence no team truly gives two shits about the development of that player. Say he plays for the Lakers G League team and they dont own the rights to him, why would they ever play him above guys whose rights they do own and whose development they're invested in? If they come to a college, guess what, the college is immediately invested in the physical and mental development of that player and he will absolutely get as many minutes as he can handle. Also let's not forget the difference in marketing. Any "elite" player will get infinitely more shine playing at Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, etc. than they will with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Branding matters for "elite" guys and the NCAA absolutely shits all over the G League in this matter.

Ultimately you're falling for the dog and pony show. The G League is providing a bogus PR stunt to make it look like they're trying to "fix" a mess they caused in the first place with the one and done rule. Another words you're a sucker lol. Agents, however, are not. They are the ones providing information to these prospects, hence why you'll see little to none of these guys go this route until 2022.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Anyway, back to recruiting. It's looking like Arizona will be done with recruiting in November (at least high school prospects). Fire up the 2020 thread

• Drew Timme: decides in November, feels like Arizona is way behind.

1. Nico Mannion*
2. Josh Green*
3. Christian Koloko*
4. Chase Jeter
5. Ira Lee
6. Devonaire Doutrive
7. Brandon Williams
8. Terry Armstrong*
9. Dylan Smith**
10. Emmanuel Akot**
11. Stone Gettings
12. Brandon Randolph**
13. Alex Barcello

* 2018 recruit

Smith grad transferring is possiblity if he loses minutes this season, that opens up a spot. One or both of Akot/Randolph entering the draft also opens up another scholarship or two.

Frankly I like all the versatility, athleticism, multiple ball handlers etc Arizona could have at the wing. Beyond Jeter, just park Koloko down low to protect the rim and grab boards and let the wings do their thing.
The quicker Jeremiah Robinson-Earl commits to Kansas the better.

Smith is a no brainer transfer candidate since he wouldn't have to sit out.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:Newport you're point about the G league being a better developer of talent isnt unfounded, however you're missing so much on this man. For one if a kid goes straight to the G league then they're not tied to any NBA team, hence no team truly gives two shits about the development of that player. Say he plays for the Lakers G League team and they dont own the rights to him, why would they ever play him above guys whose rights they do own and whose development they're invested in? If they come to a college, guess what, the college is immediately invested in the physical and mental development of that player and he will absolutely get as many minutes as he can handle. Also let's not forget the difference in marketing. Any "elite" player will get infinitely more shine playing at Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, etc. than they will with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Branding matters for "elite" guys and the NCAA absolutely shits all over the G League in this matter.

Ultimately you're falling for the dog and pony show. The G League is providing a bogus PR stunt to make it look like they're trying to "fix" a mess they caused in the first place with the one and done rule. Another words you're a sucker lol. Agents, however, are not. They are the ones providing information to these prospects, hence why you'll see little to none of these guys go this route until 2022.
I could definitely be wrong and your points about the teams not owning their rights and therefore not caring about their development is a great point.

I do think the marketing of a player through college basketball is much less prevalent today then what it was 20 years ago. As I tell all my buddies, I remember the starting 5 still from the Fab 5 and UNLV's early 90's team. I have no idea who was on Kentucky last year or this year. I did not realize Booker went to Kentucky until like 2 weeks ago. Everyone knows Ayton went to Arizona but for all the wrong reasons. I think the marketing you are discussing for the elite players who ultimately get most of the marketing by being in college a year or two is weak unless their team makes a final four.

You make some very valid points and again could be very wrong on this. If I am I will happily eat crow. But to me the NBA is aggressively trying to find ways to create a better Minor league/development system which should scare any fan of the college game. This coupled with the fact the casual fan really does not care much about college basketball anymore until the tournament and all the FBI issues recently suggest to me the College game is in a precarious situation.

I also believe this PR stunt is a step and not a final one. When one and done rule is removed then a team could own their rights to a player who opted to go straight to the G League or NBA out of high school.

Ultimately I think guys want to get paid as early as possible. Tell a guy he has a chance to make $125K a year and skip going to college and the NBA figures out how to make it a better path to the NBA, more guys will go that way. Players listen to their parents, other family members, and other players first, not agents. One of my good friends is a top NFL agent and he would tell you this.

That's why that video struck me so much as both Chauncey and Tracy felt like this was a great move and guys should do it.

Again, could be totally wrong and always respect your opinions Choo
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Where are we at with this guy?
Vrenz Bleijenbergh, 6"10" PF/SF, Belgium
Bleijenbergh was by far the biggest breakout prospect of this event. After averaging just 5.9 points and 4.0 rebounds at the 2017 FIBA u18 Division B European Championships, Bleijenbergh attempted at going the college route but didn't receive a single offer. Regardless of his future, Bleijenbergh has very good size, a frame with plenty of room to gain strength, can play both forward positions due to his shooting ability, quick first step, body control and terrific vision and rebounds in and outside of his area. He's averaging 14.0 points, 7.4 rebounds and an event-leading 6.2 assists per game.
Had a 27 and 10 game last week: http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18b/ ... eijenbergh" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Newport you're point about the G league being a better developer of talent isnt unfounded, however you're missing so much on this man. For one if a kid goes straight to the G league then they're not tied to any NBA team, hence no team truly gives two shits about the development of that player. Say he plays for the Lakers G League team and they dont own the rights to him, why would they ever play him above guys whose rights they do own and whose development they're invested in? If they come to a college, guess what, the college is immediately invested in the physical and mental development of that player and he will absolutely get as many minutes as he can handle. Also let's not forget the difference in marketing. Any "elite" player will get infinitely more shine playing at Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UCLA, etc. than they will with the Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Branding matters for "elite" guys and the NCAA absolutely shits all over the G League in this matter.

I could definitely be wrong and your points about the teams not owning their rights and therefore not caring about their development is a great point.

I do think the marketing of a player through college basketball is much less prevalent today then what it was 20 years ago. As I tell all my buddies, I remember the starting 5 still from the Fab 5 and UNLV's early 90's team. I have no idea who was on Kentucky last year or this year. I did not realize Booker went to Kentucky until like 2 weeks ago. Everyone knows Ayton went to Arizona but for all the wrong reasons. I think the marketing you are discussing for the elite players who ultimately get most of the marketing by being in college a year or two is weak unless their team makes a final four.

You make some very valid points and again could be very wrong on this. If I am I will happily eat crow. But to me the NBA is aggressively trying to find ways to create a better Minor league/development system which should scare any fan of the college game. This coupled with the fact the casual fan really does not care much about college basketball anymore until the tournament and all the FBI issues recently suggest to me the College game is in a precarious situation.

I also believe this PR stunt is a step and not a final one. When one and done rule is removed then a team could own their rights to a player who opted to go straight to the G League or NBA out of high school.

Ultimately I think guys want to get paid as early as possible. Tell a guy he has a chance to make $125K a year and skip going to college and the NBA figures out how to make it a better path to the NBA, more guys will go that way. Players listen to their parents, other family members, and other players first, not agents. One of my good friends is a top NFL agent and he would tell you this.

That's why that video struck me so much as both Chauncey and Tracy felt like this was a great move and guys should do it.

You're absolutely right that the NBA is trying to make a competent minor league system and this is just step 1 of raising wages to really make it a competitive option for prospects. I'm glad you didnt take it personally when I called you a "sucker," I felt bad reading my post again and made it seem like I thought you were dumb, which was totally not what I was trying to convey.

Great discussion either way and I think there will be a place in the world where both a competent G league and a NCAA exist and those two sides will be more in a competition in a few years from now rather than they will be immediately due to this 125k rule. I disagree with your brand argument, but also see your point. I think the reason the NCAA survives regardless of losing talent to the league will be the brands of its schools. I think the mid majors of the world will be the ones to ultimately suffer and the NCAA couldn't care less about them.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote: Where are we at with this guy?
Vrenz Bleijenbergh, 6"10" PF/SF, Belgium
Bleijenbergh was by far the biggest breakout prospect of this event. After averaging just 5.9 points and 4.0 rebounds at the 2017 FIBA u18 Division B European Championships, Bleijenbergh attempted at going the college route but didn't receive a single offer. Regardless of his future, Bleijenbergh has very good size, a frame with plenty of room to gain strength, can play both forward positions due to his shooting ability, quick first step, body control and terrific vision and rebounds in and outside of his area. He's averaging 14.0 points, 7.4 rebounds and an event-leading 6.2 assists per game.
Had a 27 and 10 game last week: http://www.fiba.basketball/europe/u18b/ ... eijenbergh" target="_blank
He signed a pro contract and is not going to play college ball.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think we could use the Jay Johnson approach of how college baseball developed players better than the lower minor league systems while also providing 5 star hotels, planes and food tables.

Hopefully these kids know the G league will be there when they get done developing in college
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The only way this becomes viable is if the NBA says that if you go to college it will be a minmum of 3 years. Then you will see guys go not for the $150k but to be drafted sooner and start the time clock for contract 2. That would get closer to making financial sense.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Newportcat wrote:Sorry, when I said a good amount of players I did not mean the players like a Deandre Ayton. I mean more 3-4 star guys who hate school. I actually could see a decent

Deandre Ayton in 3 years is not going to college and going straight to the league.

I could see the guy who hates school just doing this. Like the 10th round pick in the MLB draft who goes straight to Professional baseball. Figuring if he craps out at 22, he can always go back to school (Which they will usually not do)

Both the NFL and NBA have long used college football and basketball as their minor leagues. NFL seems hell bent on continuing that for the foreseeable future while the NBA seems the opposite. It appears the NBA really wants to control player development more and create a better minor league system.

Not necessarily good for college basketball long term
Problrm is, those dudes aren't gonna get offered a contract according to what was stated. They are offering 125k for high level guys with NBA prospects, not 4 year college level dudes.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

You're absolutely right that the NBA is trying to make a competent minor league system and this is just step 1 of raising wages to really make it a competitive option for prospects. I'm glad you didnt take it personally when I called you a "sucker," I felt bad reading my post again and made it seem like I thought you were dumb, which was totally not what I was trying to convey.

Great discussion either way and I think there will be a place in the world where both a competent G league and a NCAA exist and those two sides will be more in a competition in a few years from now rather than they will be immediately due to this 125k rule. I disagree with your brand argument, but also see your point. I think the reason the NCAA survives regardless of losing talent to the league will be the brands of its schools. I think the mid majors of the world will be the ones to ultimately suffer and the NCAA couldn't care less about them.
After Machina told me I was a bad fan of the U of A for not attending U of A football games, nothing anyone can say will make me feel worse then that....:)

In the end it will be very interesting to see how everything shakes out but just think Adam Silver is very component and bright and would bet on him rather then the NCAA to take progressive steps to fix what is now a broken system. NCAA is a giant joke and will be completely behind the 8 ball here. If I am right and NBA figures out a solid way to secure and develop talent outside of college basketball, NCAA will realize it 5 years too late and then make changes 5 years after that which are worthless.

I love Arizona basketball and concerned about its long term future in light of where I see things going and the fact the NCAA is the one who we need to rely on to help protect/enhance it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

h
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I can’t read the athletic so you can post a Summary

$125k plus the potential to sign an endorsement deal right away is a lot of money to many of these players and their families
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Newportcat wrote:I can’t read the athletic so you can post a Summary

$125k plus the potential to sign an endorsement deal right away is a lot of money to many of these players and their families
The danger is if the kid truly isn’t ready. Getting exposed by a bunch of stronger, hungrier dudes nightly under the NBA’s microscope is not ideal. At least in Australia you’re largely hidden behind some highlight packages and stat sheets.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Screw $125k
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Some kids just don't like school. No more classes, no more homework? I imagine there are plenty of groupies in the G League too.

Look at all the UA players who left before they were NBA ready.

Chance Comanche, now in Serbia.

Grant Jerrett spent a couple years in China, now back in the G league in Canton.

Brandon Ashley, in the G league too.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Terry Armstrong finished his visit to UNM over the weekend and should be deciding soon. Lots of recent crystal ball picks for the good guys have come in.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Terry Armstrong finished his visit to UNM over the weekend and should be deciding soon. Lots of recent crystal ball picks for the good guys have come in.
Jeez. Nico, Green and Armstrong would be super effing loaded on the perimeter. Add BWill, Randolph and Akot, maybe Doutrive and good lord.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Terry Armstrong finished his visit to UNM over the weekend and should be deciding soon. Lots of recent crystal ball picks for the good guys have come in.
To boot: the only non-Zona pick was made in 2016 and is for Sparty, who is not in his final four.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Going to be such a great class. Gotta think at least one of Akot/Randolph will be gone next year just based on the number of guards/wings coming in next year.

Wouldn't be shocked if Bwill went pro after this year based on practice reports and red blue game....seems like he's looked very good.

Regardless, will be a very exciting year next year and should be a national title contender once again.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jeez. Nico, Green and Armstrong would be super effing loaded on the perimeter. Add BWill, Randolph and Akot, maybe Doutrive and good lord.
This would be crazy and if/when he commits I'm not even going to understand it still. Once I get to the fifth dude on that list my brain just starts to melt down.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Honestly, if and I realize it will be almost impossible to have all of those perimeter players, but practices would be must watch.
bwill, randolph, akot v Nico, Green, Doutrive w/ armstrong rotating through. They would be the most honed backcourt/wings in the country. Arkansas level hockey subs.

Really want to see Bwill and Nico together. Keep one of Randolph/Akot. I think there is enough minutes 5 of those guys together maybe 6 if Akot is splitting time at 4.

As they say, 1st world problems.