let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '19

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:It will be interesting to see how we screw this all up.
Like when Book is on the stand and says Miller ordered the code red, in which case Dick Vitale puts Sean on the stand and goes toe to toe with him and asks him if he ordered the code red, to which Sean replies "YOU WANT ME IN MCKALE, YOU NEED ME IN MCKALE!" Then the prosecutor gets in his face again asking one more time if he ordered the code red, to which Sean replies "YOURE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID!"

Is that what you're referring to?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:Arizona high school basketball took a big jump. Our whole class played high school ball in AZ.
Minus Koloko.
If there wasn't this amount of good in state prospects that wanted to come here, would the class be as good? Maybe Miller prioritize Boogie Ellis more, but who else?

I realize this is a unnecessary hypothetical question, maybe rhe 2020 class will answer this. Thank God for the in state recruits anyhow
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Alieberman wrote:It will be interesting to see how we screw this all up.
Like when Book is on the stand and says Miller ordered the code red, in which case Dick Vitale puts Sean on the stand and goes toe to toe with him and asks him if he ordered the code red, to which Sean replies "YOU WANT ME IN MCKALE, YOU NEED ME IN MCKALE!" Then the prosecutor gets in his face again asking one more time if he ordered the code red, to which Sean replies "YOURE GOD DAMN RIGHT I DID!"

Is that what you're referring to?
That's certainly 1 scenario!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:Arizona high school basketball took a big jump. Our whole class played high school ball in AZ.
Minus Koloko.
If there wasn't this amount of good in state prospects that wanted to come here, would the class be as good? Maybe Miller prioritize Boogie Ellis more, but who else?

I realize this is a unnecessary hypothetical question, maybe rhe 2020 class will answer this. Thank God for the in state recruits anyhow
Yeah if we don't have Nico then Boogie is probably our PG in this class (he's a combo guard). My guess is someone like Lester Quinones would've been our guy if no Green. May make a bigger play for Iverson Molinar if no Armstrong. The state of Arizona certainly came in for the clutch for us.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

According to 24/7 we now have the #2 class in the country
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

whatisee wrote:According to 24/7 we now have the #2 class in the country
Too bad Miller stopped recruiting
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NYCat wrote:
Imagine if he hadn’t?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Imagine if he hadn’t?
:lol: :lol:
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
I forget who, but someone posted a photo of Miller 2 days after the Buffalo loss at a HS game and said he was obviously defeated and had given up. Maybe not.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

No thanks to espn. :P

Well done Coach!

What we do know is that the demise of Arizona in its ability to recruit has been greatly exaggerated.

Sean Miller currently has the second best class in the nation.

On paper, he has one of the best point guards he has ever landed. He added one of the top shooting guards in the country, one of the most athletic wings, and a center with an extremely high ceiling.
https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... -123756708" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

My impression of Sean Miller right now

My Impression of myself after thinking about our 2019 recruiting class

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote: Image
Lol I don't think either of those guys are remotely good comparisons for Terry. I mean Terry can score the ball (Trier) and he has numerous aggressive dunks (Rawle), but that's about it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:My impression of Sean Miller right now

My Impression of myself after thinking about our 2019 recruiting class

This is my Miller impression.

goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Lol I don't think either of those guys are remotely good comparisons for Terry. I mean Terry can score the ball (Trier) and he has numerous aggressive dunks (Rawle), but that's about it.
Who do you think is a good comparison Choo? Caris Lavert maybe? Long, athletic wing scorer. Lots of natural upside. Needs to put on weight, improve defensively but decent shooter and really solid midrange game?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Armstrong reminds me of Brandon Randolph more than Trier or Alkins. Long, slender, athletic scorer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Who do you think is a good comparison Choo? Caris Lavert maybe? Long, athletic wing scorer. Lots of natural upside. Needs to put on weight, improve defensively but decent shooter and really solid midrange game?
A more athletic Caris Levert is actually a great comparison, well done my man. In general Arizona fans and in turn Arizona recruits (when being interviewed) will use Arizona examples to compare players, because we're intimately familiar with these guys. There's certain guys he's similar too (Spiff's example of Randolph isn't far off the mark for the reason he explained), but going outside of Arizona specific players, such as Levert, would provide a more accurate comparison IMO.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
Word on the street is Nova. If you want Zeke Nnaji you want JRE to pick Kansas.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Drew Timme

Contenders: Final five of Alabama, Arizona, Gonzaga, Illinois and Texas A&M.

Early or late: Early.

Breakdown: The only school Timme hasn't visited officially is Arizona and he'll head to Tucson within the next few weeks. His current plan is to announce on national signing day and he's done a good job of keeping his intentions under wraps. Texas A&M is thought to have made a pretty strong impression at this point but Brad Underwood of Illinois was the first high major coach to offer (while he was coaching at Oklahoma State).
Zeke Nnaji

Contenders: Final five of Arizona, Baylor, Kansas, Purdue and UCLA.

Early or late: Early.

Breakdown: Nnaji has seen Arizona, Kansas and UCLA officially at this point. He takes in Baylor this weekend and wraps things up with a visit to Purdue. Arizona and Kansas have gotten a lot of talk and are in there strong. But, keep an eye out for Purdue as the darkhorse candidate here.
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl choosing Villanova would be bad.

Don't have any confidence we land any of these guys.

Bring on the grad transfers
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
A more athletic Caris Levert is actually a great comparison, well done my man. In general Arizona fans and in turn Arizona recruits (when being interviewed) will use Arizona examples to compare players, because we're intimately familiar with these guys. There's certain guys he's similar too (Spiff's example of Randolph isn't far off the mark for the reason he explained), but going outside of Arizona specific players, such as Levert, would provide a more accurate comparison IMO.
Awesome, good to hear. That's an exciting type of multi-year prospect that I was hoping Miller would go after more often.

Regarding a big, the tea leaves seem to be pointing to a traditional transfer big man, which I am perfectly fine with. If it can be someone of Ryan Luter or Stone Getting's quality, I'll be very happy/
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:
A more athletic Caris Levert is actually a great comparison, well done my man.
well I guess it depends on which Cariz Levert. Levert might be an Allstar in the East if he keeps on playing the way he has started the year. At Michigan he went from solid college player his sophomore year to late 1st round pick his senior year. I don't think he was even ranked in the top 400 in high school and didn't even get any high level D1 scholarships. So this guy has gotten incredibly better since he was 17.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SunnyAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
well I guess it depends on which Cariz Levert. Levert might be an Allstar in the East if he keeps on playing the way he has started the year. At Michigan he went from solid college player his sophomore year to late 1st round pick his senior year. I don't think he was even ranked in the top 400 in high school and didn't even get any high level D1 scholarships. So this guy has gotten incredibly better since he was 17.
The guy got a full ride to Michigan out of high school lol, but yes he wasn't a highly ranked guy at all out of HS.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
Can we just marvel for a moment at the arrival of Nova as a major player in national recruiting? It's incredible what a couple national titles does for a program. Reminds me of Florida under Donovan.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I want:

PG: Williams, Mannion, Barcello.
Wing: Randolph, Akot, Green, Armstrong.

With a healthy dose of a lot of those guys playing together in lineups with flexible positioning. No disrespect to Nnaji, but returning BWill, Akot, Randolph, Lee and Jeter would give us a boost a freshman never could.

Who do I have to debase myself to in order to make that happen?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I want:

With a healthy dose of a lot of those guys playing together in lineups with flexible positioning. No disrespect to Nnaji, but returning BWill, Akot, Randolph, Lee and Jeter would give us a boost a freshman never could.

Don't forget Devonaire...think he may play a large-ish role depending on Randolph/Akot being around next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:
I want:

Don't forget Devonaire...think he may play a large-ish role depending on Randolph/Akot being around next year.
Oops. Forgot him. Add him on the wing.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Agreed on preferring everyone back rather than having another freshman come in, though I'd be a-okay with Randolph balling out this season and getting drafted, clearing some line-up time for Green / Doutrive / Amstrong next season. We'll also have Koloko for back-up C depth, and I think a junior could be an impact C (though Jeter went right over and through him in the Red Blue).
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Guys like Lauri or Ayton are outliers in their production, I don't think either Robinson-Earl or Nnaji would've done anything close to that. Maybe somewhat close to Ashley's freshman season of 7ppg/5rpg stat line, maybe add a couple/several pts & rebs (especially for Robinson-Earl). I think Gettings can come in and have a more immediate impact & get more production while not being the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th scoring option next year. Defensively, none of the recruits seem to be defensive juggernauts, which would be more needed next year than a scoring post.

Nnaji & Robinson-Earl both sort of have Trey Lyles qualities, Lyles averaged 8ppg/5rpg during his only season at UK.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

NYCat wrote:Guys like Lauri or Ayton are outliers in their production, I don't think either Robinson-Earl or Nnaji would've done anything close to that. Maybe somewhat close to Ashley's freshman season of 7ppg/5rpg stat line, maybe add a couple/several pts & rebs (especially for Robinson-Earl). I think Gettings can come in and have a more immediate impact & get more production while not being the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th scoring option next year. Defensively, none of the recruits seem to be defensive juggernauts, which would be more needed next year than a scoring post.

Nnaji & Robinson-Earl both sort of have Trey Lyles qualities, Lyles averaged 8ppg/5rpg during his only season at UK.
I really like what I have seen in limited clips and read about Stone Gettings...I think he will be a very solid rotation big for us next year. If Akot, Jeter, Lee, and Gettings are all on the roster in 2019 (along with Koloko), we certainly won't need a big that year, and a traditional transfer big man would make a lot of sense (to help replace Jeter, Gettings, and potentially Akot/Lee in 2020).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote:
NYCat wrote:Guys like Lauri or Ayton are outliers in their production, I don't think either Robinson-Earl or Nnaji would've done anything close to that. Maybe somewhat close to Ashley's freshman season of 7ppg/5rpg stat line, maybe add a couple/several pts & rebs (especially for Robinson-Earl). I think Gettings can come in and have a more immediate impact & get more production while not being the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th scoring option next year. Defensively, none of the recruits seem to be defensive juggernauts, which would be more needed next year than a scoring post.

I really like what I have seen in limited clips and read about Stone Gettings...I think he will be a very solid rotation big for us next year. If Akot, Jeter, Lee, and Gettings are all on the roster in 2019 (along with Koloko), we certainly won't need a big that year, and a traditional transfer big man would make a lot of sense (to help replace Jeter, Gettings, and potentially Akot/Lee in 2020).
Re-upping this article on Gettings, who I've yet to get excited about but looks like he could be a legitimate contributor and leader.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
The guy got a full ride to Michigan out of high school lol, but yes he wasn't a highly ranked guy at all out of HS.
I guess but he was going to Ohio University because them and Alabama St. were the only ones who offered him a scholly. Also Beilein doesn't count because he has a thing for low level guys. He even asked him to redshirt.

I was reading this thing he did predraft yesterday right before I saw the Caris comp lol. that's why I mentioned it.
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us ... ter-to-gms" target="_blank
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Robinson-Earl committed to Nova as expected, which leaves a wide open space for Nnaji at Kansas.Timme's visit was seemingly cancelled, this is likely unofficially wraps up the 2019 recruiting class. Hopefully things change with Nnaji, but regardless he won't be an instant high impact guy.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

North Carolina is taking a swing at top 40 big man Zeke Nnaji.

On Sunday, the fluid and skilled 6-foot-10 big man returned home from his fifth and final official visit, to Purdue -- after previously seeing Arizona, Baylor, Kansas and UCLA. Sunday night, Nnaji and his family hosted Roy Williams and his staff for an official visit and the Tar Heels coach offered a scholarship.

Carolina has been scrambling to get involved with another skilled big man since being cut by Jeremiah Robinson-Earl a few weeks ago and after kicking the tires on Nnaji, they are all in in an attempt to get him.

Here's where it gets tricky. Nnaji has had a plan to commit on Nov. 24 for some time now and he's out of official visits. So, if Carolina is going to make a run here, it is going to have to hope Nnaji can make an unofficial visit (and he's taken several of them to other programs during his recruitment) before his commitment date.

Of late, Purdue and Kansas have been getting a lot of talk as the two that are moving ahead in his recruitment. We'll see if UNC can change that over the next three weeks
Probably going 0 for 3 on PF recruits
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Is that a bad thing considering how we would like to play going forward?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote:Is that a bad thing considering how we would like to play going forward?
If Akot, Lee and Gettings are our 2019 options, no, that's not a bad thing. Those guys feed into the perimeter oriented game Miller can play with BWill, Nico, etc.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx, Spiff, that is what I thought. Seems we want shooters and ball handlers all over the floor. Not sure if those top 3 fours were stretch fours and it appears we are going smaller with Akot at the 4 at times this year.

For me, Akot is a great facilitator from that spot but I still question his ability to shoot. Average at best IMO. I like guy like Luther who can drill it from deep in a mismatch. Beilein at Michigan is a genius in finding these guys and exploiting that mismatch
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Is that a bad thing considering how we would like to play going forward?
I'm honestly not in love with an Akot, Jeter, Lee, Gettings (assuming he's pretty much another Ryan Luther) post rotation, so it would've been nice to land a guy who you can trust to get a bucket in the post.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm honestly not in love with an Akot, Jeter, Lee, Gettings (assuming he's pretty much another Ryan Luther) post rotation, so it would've been nice to land a guy who you can trust to get a bucket in the post.
I'm certainly less enthused right now - our rebounding and interior defense was dogshit last night.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Christ, went and looked at the 2020 class for bigs on the west coast, good god it's weak again. I know it's early, that class is 2 years away from playing, a year away from being evaluated and being recruited & committing, but jeez it's so bad. There's like 5 total bigs in the top 100, only one top prospect, Mobley the #1 player who's going to USC.

Might have to depend on transfers for a couple years if no one on the west coast develops, or go try to recruit one nationally. Maybe even recruiting lower rated multi year projects.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm actually more bullish on Gettings than I am on Luther...think him plus a senior Jeter will be just good enough to compete for a FF. Lee in my opinion just does not have it, and I think he may be a transfer candidate. Akot hopefully can develop into a very competent versatile wing, but seems like he may not have made a "leap" this year...hopefully it comes next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
If we're serious about 4 out sets, traditional post play is not necessarily huge in that equation. I don't mind being all in on BWill, Nico, etc to make plays because we have some playmakers to get buckets.

On D, I'd rather have a junior Lee or Akot than a frosh. You hope the building of toughness continues. Offensively, a lot of our better teams and current top teams aren't built on post play.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
If we're serious about 4 out sets, traditional post play is not necessarily huge in that equation. I don't mind being all in on BWill, Nico, etc to make plays because we have some playmakers to get buckets.

On D, I'd rather have a junior Lee or Akot than a frosh. You hope the building of toughness continues. Offensively, a lot of our better teams and current top teams aren't built on post play.
Just need one guy who is a ferocious rebounder and rim protector. Hoping that's Jeter (and that last night was just part of him getting into his game form). The other guys just don't have the length.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Just need one guy who is a ferocious rebounder and rim protector. Hoping that's Jeter (and that last night was just part of him getting into his game form). The other guys just don't have the length.
I know he is project, but, Koloko is raw and could accelerate his development. Especially on the defensive end.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I'm actually more bullish on Gettings than I am on Luther...think him plus a senior Jeter will be just good enough to compete for a FF. Lee in my opinion just does not have it, and I think he may be a transfer candidate. Akot hopefully can develop into a very competent versatile wing, but seems like he may not have made a "leap" this year...hopefully it comes next year.
I think Gettings will be more fleet of foot, but nothing way above Luther or anything. Another good 3 point shooter who can rebound, so that's nice.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think Gettings will be more fleet of foot, but nothing way above Luther or anything. Another good 3 point shooter who can rebound, so that's nice.
Most excited about the passing ability of a team that includes Gettings along with Akot and Green. Nice to have playmakers inside and out. Nico, BWill, Green, Akot, Gettings would make some beautiful offensive basketball.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Most excited about the passing ability of a team that includes Gettings along with Akot and Green. Nice to have playmakers inside and out. Nico, BWill, Green, Akot, Gettings would make some beautiful offensive basketball.
Yes, Gettings passing ability is part of the reason I like him better than Luther.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

It would be epic if Kansas loses both those players enfuego said were in the bag.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

We're most likely out of this thing, but hopefully he doesn't go to Kansas
UNC unofficial visit Nov. 16-17

Committing Nov. 23