2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by Newportcat »

Was going to post this. Really liked it a lot and glad our program is doing it

Having not grown up playing basketball, I do not know the game from a detailed point of view as well especially on defense

Game also moves so fast sometimes you don’t recognize or have an appreciation for everything really going on

Really enjoyed it and hope they continue them
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

cal poly game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Since our OOC schedule is so weak, it would really help us if the rest of the PAC didn't shit the bed in their OOC games
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Since our OOC schedule is so weak, it would really help us if the rest of the PAC didn't shit the bed in their OOC games
Indeed it would. The reality, though, is that the Pac (in both hoops and football) has made an obvious decline over the past decade. We’re normally a top heavy league, but in some years even the top teams are pretty mediocre. Remember when Pac champion UW didn’t even reach the NCAA tourney? That’s some crazy sh*t.

This season doesn’t look that different. Oregon and UCLA appear to be the best teams, with a few others (AZ among them) giving chase. I think this is a 4 bid conference at best, but 3 is probably the most likely outcome.

I’m looking forward to Maui. It sucks that we don’t have Ayton for this tourney, but I also like being an underdog. No one expects much from us this year, so hopefully our guys can use that as motivation.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Is it really weak if we play Gonzaga, Auburn or Duke? No. Would be awesome to get past Iowa St and face Gonzaga. Boost the strength of schedule.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MC1983 wrote:Is it really weak if we play Gonzaga, Auburn or Duke? No. Would be awesome to get past Iowa St and face Gonzaga. Boost the strength of schedule.

Home schedule is extremely weak.

I see a lot of tweets about how Miller is doing so well at McKale with OOC teams, but when you schedule the Sisters of Mercy to come in and get beat down then really does hurt your SoS.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Merkin wrote:
MC1983 wrote:Is it really weak if we play Gonzaga, Auburn or Duke? No. Would be awesome to get past Iowa St and face Gonzaga. Boost the strength of schedule.

Home schedule is extremely weak.

I see a lot of tweets about how Miller is doing so well at McKale with OOC teams, but when you schedule the Sisters of Mercy to come in and get beat down then really does hurt your SoS.
I do miss how Lute used to schedule. Top teams used to come into McKale every year. Olson used to say you gain nothing by scheduling cupcakes except running up your record. I can't think of the last big time team we played at McKale.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Last year. The # 3 team in all the land ASU lol. Not OOC though
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

MC1983 wrote:Last year. The # 3 team in all the land ASU lol
Oh yes! Shame on me. Forgot about that juggernaut of a team. It always a good feeling reminding them they're the third best team in the state behind us and GCU.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

In the ten years before Sean Miller became coach the UofA had nine years with a (Sagarin) top 20 SOS.

In the ten years since Sean Miller became coach the UofA has had zero years with a (Sagarin) top 20 SOS.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

So thinking about weak OOC schedule’s made me look around at others in the PAC 12. Wow does it look like a really weak one for PAC favorite Oregon. Toughest teams they could possibly face in a tournament is Syracuse or Connecticut.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KaibabKat wrote:In the ten years before Sean Miller became coach the UofA had nine years with a (Sagarin) top 20 SOS.

In the ten years since Sean Miller became coach the UofA has had zero years with a (Sagarin) top 20 SOS.
This has to change. There's no reason Sean shouldn't be scheduling elite OOC opponents every year.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The 1 moment that really sticks out for me during our last game vs Cal Poly

During the 2nd half there was a moment when we were playing only 1 starter (B Williams) and rest were bench players. Dylan Smith hits another big 3 as our spurt of death continued.

2 big things I observed in this moment.

1- Was there ever a time last year when we played more than 2 subs at a time, let alone 4? (Not including garbage time). Not to mention was there ever a time last year that we played multiple subs and actually increased our lead? Last years team was certainly more top heavy .... not even close.... but 6-10 we are in a much, much better position

2- At the moment when Dylan Smith hit that 3.... ALL OF OUR RESTING STARTERS were on their feet jumping up and down and screaming in appreciation of their teammates. It struck me as I don't recall ever seeing anything like that coming from our leaders last year. (Ristic was the only 1 I can recall). We had shitty leadership last year and shitty chemistry. This team is different.

We are going to struggle at times this year but we have the foundation and next year we are going to be special
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Watching Miller postgame, he pushes togetherness and effort really hard. That's going to define this year's team. We don't have the same stars as last year, but playing as a unit on offense and D and just busting ass is an area this team can be more fun to watch.

There will be rough patches. Keeping that positive attitude and aggressive, competitive working spirit is a big thing in terms of setting the culture.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:The 1 moment that really sticks out for me during our last game vs Cal Poly

During the 2nd half there was a moment when we were playing only 1 starter (B Williams) and rest were bench players. Dylan Smith hits another big 3 as our spurt of death continued.

1- Was there ever a time last year when we played more than 2 subs at a time, let alone 4? (Not including garbage time). Not to mention was there ever a time last year that we played multiple subs and actually increased our lead? Last years team was certainly more top heavy .... not even close.... but 6-10 we are in a much, much better position

2- At the moment when Dylan Smith hit that 3.... ALL OF OUR RESTING STARTERS were on their feet jumping up and down and screaming in appreciation of their teammates. It struck me as I don't recall ever seeing anything like that coming from our leaders last year. (Ristic was the only 1 I can recall). We had shitty leadership last year and shitty chemistry. This team is different.

We are going to struggle at times this year but we have the foundation and next year we are going to be special
There aren't any individual agendas this year like there were last year, so the leadership and chemistry is ridiculously better. Justin Coleman deserves a lot of credit in regards to leadership.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:In the ten years before Sean Miller became coach the UofA had nine years with a (Sagarin) top 20 SOS.

This has to change. There's no reason Sean shouldn't be scheduling elite OOC opponents every year.
The landscape has changed in scheduling. Top opponents don't do home and homes to places that aren't recruiting hubs or going to give them something they can't get elsewhere through neutral site games.

We can schedule neutral site matchups, and we do...we are almost always in some early elite tournament or matchup. But the PAC is, right now, going to pull SOS down. Duke won't leave North Carolina for a true road game until the turn of the year. I did this last year and am not going to look again, but if you take the top 10 programs in the country and look at their true road games, you won't find but one, maybe two, OOC. And if they do, there is an obvious reason (major city, recruit in area, blue bloods playing for a TV game).

In Lute's day, if you were willing to go there and were a big name, they were willing to come here. Now? You can't get the call answered for home and homes. So you have to go the neutral route. Like Maui. Like Texas A&M last year. Like the Bahamas.

SOS totals are coming way more from conference foes today. Any elite matchup is neutral court, and those are limited.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Alieberman wrote:The 1 moment that really sticks out for me during our last game vs Cal Poly

Similarly, I think it was around the 10m mark of the second half and the team got a defensive stop with Smith just switching and harassing the ball handler(s). I think CP called a timeout and as the team came to the bench everyone was just up and giving Smith tons of love.

It was great to see.

This team is already growing on me.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:

There aren't any individual agendas this year like there were last year, so the leadership and chemistry is ridiculously better. Justin Coleman deserves a lot of credit in regards to leadership.
Great points all, Alieb. Especially on depth, and your terrific word-picture reminder of our starters doing their best Gumby stuff! Like old times when chemistry was a big part of our game.

Choo, hmm....Coleman re chemistry. Guy feels like a leader---yeah.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I noticed this too Alieb and honesty why I am bullish on the cats right now.

I feel miller has the chance to really get these guys to hit their potential over the next two seasons. I also noticed ed his sub patterns seemed more like a late non conference early conference season game rather game 2 wrt to getting everyone involved.

Also because of lack of star talent and all hands on deck mentality, I’m reluctant to jump on the bag on Dylan smith bandwagon. He’s been a liability in the past but he shot well on Sunday; I hope he keeps it up. Nice to see Barcello get some run even if he is more of a long term project.

I just really like this team a hell of a lot more than last years (even though I loved some of the individual players). The are fun to watch. And BWill is the guard he is billed. It will be fun watching him live up to his potential.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I know it was cal poly but I loved watching Luther too.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Doutrive needs more minutes, he has so much upside. But that means we need to play a 10 man rotation
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I noticed this too Alieb and honesty why I am bullish on the cats right now.

I feel miller has the chance to really get these guys to hit their potential over the next two seasons. I also noticed ed his sub patterns seemed more like a late non conference early conference season game rather game 2 wrt to getting everyone involved.

Also because of lack of star talent and all hands on deck mentality, I’m reluctant to jump on the bag on Dylan smith bandwagon. He’s been a liability in the past but he shot well on Sunday; I hope he keeps it up. Nice to see Barcello get some run even if he is more of a long term project.

I just really like this team a hell of a lot more than last years (even though I loved some of the individual players). The are fun to watch. And BWill is the guard he is billed. It will be fun watching him live up to his potential.
I'll be happy if Dylan proves me wrong and contributes. His rebounding may not be a fluke any more and if he brings work on the glass and D, he'll earn a spot. I was not sold, but am ready to be sold.

Last year, it wasn't fun because it was all expectations and games like Cal Poly felt like chores. This year, beating Cal Poly is actually enjoyable instead of wondering what that means for March.

Plus, the things we see from the kids...we get to think about how that looks next year when our talent level swells. Our culture felt decayed last year. This team, it feels more alive.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Traditionally, UCONN, Alabama & Baylor look like a respectable OOC schedule. Baylor was top15 the last few years. Then crapped the bed in their opener against Texas Southern. UCONN? Who knows? They play Syracuse in a few days which could be telling.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApLz3V94uI" target="_blank

another film breakdown, this time with Akot
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApLz3V94uI

another film breakdown, this time with Akot
Commented during the game but will reiterate since Miller brings it up: love Akot in the middle of the zone. Also love the Miller telling Akot to be more aggressive AND putting him in the position where he has to be aggressive in order to be successful (trapping the post, pushing the ball in transition). Really want aggression out of Akot, good to see this film session with Miller iterating it.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I think Smith is a very important piece. The dude brings a lot to the table, you just never know which night youre going to get it. How many on the team have defended the perimeter at a higher level thus far?

This team is gonna have to find ways to get buckets. If he is getting his, we are in much better shape.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

The points distribution in tonight's box score reminds me of Lute's mid 90s teams. A couple guys with around 20, another in the mid teens, and then 20-25 points spread out over the rest of the roster. The Brandon's are for real
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

rgdeuce wrote:I think Smith is a very important piece. The dude brings a lot to the table, you just never know which night youre going to get it. How many on the team have defended the perimeter at a higher level thus far?

This team is gonna have to find ways to get buckets. If he is getting his, we are in much better shape.
Offensively Dylan reverted to the mean tonight. Until he has back to back games where he plays well on both ends of the court I will remain
skeptical. I have this nagging feeling that Doutrive should be getting at least some of his minutes.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

dmjcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:I think Smith is a very important piece. The dude brings a lot to the table, you just never know which night youre going to get it. How many on the team have defended the perimeter at a higher level thus far?

Offensively Dylan reverted to the mean tonight. Until he has back to back games where he plays well on both ends of the court I will remain
skeptical. I have this nagging feeling that Doutrive should be getting at least some of his minutes.
As bad as Smith has been offensively, he has been phenomenal defensively, and was again tonight. I’m with you on Doutrive playing, but sadly I think it’s Barcello’s minutes he should be taking and not Smith. Barcello just has absolutely no confidence and it’s tough to watch. Not sure he’ll ever turn into a worthwhile piece here.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Brandon has 14 assists and 0 TOs so far.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Any word on our game time on Monday?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote:Any word on our game time on Monday?

7pm Arizona time on ESPNU
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

My thoughts so far.

Defense--The brightest spot. I know we're playing bad teams, but this has been the area we consistently produce in that's seen us through some rough patches. The really good part is our execution should improve and shave down mistakes. This team wants to play D.

Rebounding--The darkest spot. Against bad teams, barely winning on the glass bodes ill. A good defensive posession is completely negated by failing on the offensive glass.

Offense--We are very 3 dependent, and that worries me. Smith is in a dark hole and our overall shooting has been inconsistent. Being consistent from the 3 would go a long way towards solving issues because we have no real post attack.

Overall: Hawaii is really huge for us. Beating ISU would go a long way and a 2-1 record would really help our tournament resume. I could see it happening. I could also see us going 0-3 if we shoot poorly and the rebounding issues continue. This year, every game matters.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

goslingswagg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

As bad as Smith has been offensively, he has been phenomenal defensively, and was again tonight. I’m with you on Doutrive playing, but sadly I think it’s Barcello’s minutes he should be taking and not Smith. Barcello just has absolutely no confidence and it’s tough to watch. Not sure he’ll ever turn into a worthwhile piece here.
Doutrive definitely needs more minutes. Depth at the guard position can be an extremely important asset at the season progresses, particularly for a team that is not going to be able to rely much on its front court rotation. I would hate to see that kid transfer out because of minutes.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Doutrive definitely needs more minutes. Depth at the guard position can be an extremely important asset at the season progresses, particularly for a team that is not going to be able to rely much on its front court rotation. I would hate to see that kid transfer out because of minutes.
Was talking to my brother about this, but can you name one positive thing Barcello does out there if he's not shooting at all? Even when he is good luck. Smith keeps his minutes, but Doutrive needs all of Barcello's. The difference between the talent level is night and day. Also it's not as if Barcello's defense is good enough to keep him on the depth chart above Doutrive.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
midnightx wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
dmjcat wrote:

Was talking to my brother about this, but can you name one positive thing Barcello does out there if he's not shooting at all and even then good luck. Smith keeps his minutes, but Doutrive needs all of Barcello's. The difference between the talent level is night and day. Also it's not as if Barcello's defense is good enough to keep him on the depth chart above Doutrive.
Barcello does everything good besides scoring. Good ball movement. Good defense.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Barcello does everything good besides scoring. Good ball movement. Good defense.
The entire team does good ball movement. I've yet to see any impact he makes on defense. Literally the only thing you can say about Barcello at this point is he's there. That's it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
The entire team does good ball movement. I've yet to see any impact he makes on defense. Literally the only thing you can say about Barcello at this point is he's there. That's it.
His defense is really good. But hey you know more than Miller so I will just listen to you
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
His defense is really good. But hey you know more than Miller so I will just listen to you
No, it's not. He got lost on defense on a couple of possessions last night. It didn't cost us at all, because it's UTEP, but nothing about him on either end of the floor is a net positive for Arizona. At least with Doutrive you know you're getting offense and superior athleticism. I'm going to look right over your Miller comment though, that's just bait, and you're too easy.

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Miller is going to give Barcello every chance to hold onto his spot in the rotation but you can see DD breathing down his neck.

DD is just not as strong, which Miller values as well as experienced but unless something kicks in that we have not seen yet I think it's just a matter of time before AB falls out of the rotation. Next week should be very telling
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Miller is going to give Barcello every chance to hold onto his spot in the rotation but you can see DD breathing down his neck.

DD is just not as strong, which Miller values as well as experienced but unless something kicks in that we have not seen yet I think it's just a matter of time before AB falls out of the rotation. Next week should be very telling
Who does DD need to defend to where he needs to not be overpowered exactly? How about Barcello? Regardless when they're in they're going to defend the weakest perimeter player on the floor for the opposition, so who cares about strength? I know one thing for sure, DD would be able to recover his on his defender at a much higher rate than Barcello ever could. The one advantage Barcello has on DD is time in the system. That's great and all, but you've gotta produce something of worth when you're out on the court, otherwise you're nothing more than a glorified walk on who is just merely present.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Look for AB to be at GCU or similar next season. Love to see him here at Cal Poly too.

He's just a good practice player who gets the yips in real game situations, and if he hasn't made the freshman to sophomore leap he never will.

I don't expect to see him again once the PAC schedule starts.

Doutrive is going to be a huge fan favorite, so hard to keep him on the bench end of blowout games.
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I think the only reason Barcello is getting minutes is that he is a sophomore. The only other thing I can think of is since Barcello is the best shooter in practice, Sean thinks that if he gets him comfortable on the court he will start hitting his shots. Otherwise Doutrive should get all of Barcello's minutes
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Yeah. I am not really seeing it with Barcello. You know the Value Over Replacement Player metric? He's replacement player.

He doesn't look overwhelmed like last year, but he doesn't really make any plays.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Barcello reminds me of Daniel Dillon. Just handle the rock and don't lose the lead.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Miller has been very vocal that last year's defensive performance was unacceptable. He will value defense over offense when it comes to filling out his rotation, so I'd imagine the Barcello / DD / Dylan Smith discussion will be ongoing all season.

Outside the starting five and Ira, this team doesn't have any depth. You have two really inconsistent players (Akot and Smith), one meh player at this point in his career (Barcello) and one unknown (DD). Need one of the four to step up if they want to have a successful week in Maui.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I guess Alex is the guy who drew the short straw this year and is the one that everyone will hate on all year. A tradition unlike any other around here
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS wrote:I guess Alex is the guy who drew the short straw this year and is the one that everyone will hate on all year. A tradition unlike any other around here
Or maybe he just sucks and isn't Arizona good.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

PHXCATS wrote:I guess Alex is the guy who drew the short straw this year and is the one that everyone will hate on all year. A tradition unlike any other around here
I don't hate Alex at all, he's just not very good right now.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Merkin wrote:Look for AB to be at GCU or similar next season. Love to see him here at Cal Poly too.

He's just a good practice player who gets the yips in real game situations, and if he hasn't made the freshman to sophomore leap he never will.

I don't expect to see him again once the PAC schedule starts.

Doutrive is going to be a huge fan favorite, so hard to keep him on the bench end of blowout games.
Yes, I would be surprised if Barcello is on the roster next season. Agreed with Choo in that Doutrive should get every minute that Barcello has gotten/will get so far. Our team's ceiling is much higher with another creator and offensive weapon in the rotation, as it seems clear that really only the Brandons can create anything offensively. DD can do that. I also think DD will be much improved defensively by the end of the year, particularly if he is getting consistent minutes throughout the year. Frankly, you could convince me to play an 8 man rotation with the starters plus DD, Lee, and Smith, as I don't think Akot has brought much to the table either.