Attendance

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CBCat

Attendance

Post by CBCat »

Soooo..
UCONN and TENN women’s b-ball teams get better crowds than the men’s team?
TatetheGreat

Re: Attendance

Post by TatetheGreat »

Why are you surprised? Their women's teams have a better history than their men's teams and UCONN and UT ladies are both undefeated this season. Also, how is this related to UA basketball?
prh

Post by prh »

Utah gymnastics gets better attendance than their men's basketball.

Technically they also have higher attendance than every Pac12 basketball program (and UConn women and a bunch of other things)
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Did the Zona zoo know there was a game last night? Couldnt have been more than 200 non berland member students
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I do have to say they left that end pretty empty. Got a text with a picture of it from the guy using my tickets at the game. Seems the students don't show until the second semester. Not sure if it's just they enjoy conference play more or if it is something else
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Students and others aren't showing because 1. This is not a top 25 team (at least at the moment) 2. There was no preseason hype for this team and no present hype nationally at the moment 3. The opponent isn't worth turning out for. If any one of of those 3 things change those empty seats go away. The diehards will always be there and thankfully those are aplenty in Tucson, but just not enough to fill 15k seats completely.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:Students and others aren't showing because 1. This is not a top 25 team (at least at the moment) 2. There was no preseason hype for this team and no present hype nationally at the moment 3. The opponent isn't worth turning out for. If any one of of those 3 things change those empty seats go away. The diehards will always be there and thankfully those are aplenty in Tucson, but just not enough to fill 15k seats completely.
That is all really sad to hear/read
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Besides being a school night game. I worked weekday evenings, and even when I didn't had to study so I couldn't have made the game if I was a student anyway.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Not surprising. Was the same when I was a student 07-11. Students rarely turn up for non-conference games (at least in my opinion) for obvious reasons (see Choo's post). Even when my brother was a student from 2013-17 (which included 2 EE/3 SS teams), the students didn't really turn up until January (minus a few games here and there). Now hopefully this doesn't turn into another student vs. non-student thread :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Funny how you go from a riot to get tickets to less than 200 students showing up in 15 years.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

It's not just the students that aren't showing up. The crowds have been thin all year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

SabinoDrifter wrote:It's not just the students that aren't showing up. The crowds have been thin all year.

Over a million people in the Tucson Metro and this was supposed to be the crown jewel of the town. So sad to see what happened to this University's athletic program
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It's every sport at every school. Period. Things have changed a lot in the 14 years since I started at uofa. Different priorities and things to do.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
SabinoDrifter wrote:It's not just the students that aren't showing up. The crowds have been thin all year.

Over a million people in the Tucson Metro and this was supposed to be the crown jewel of the town. So sad to see what happened to this University's athletic program
There were 13,651 people there last night, that's only 1,000 short of capacity. 1,000 people short due to all 3 factors I named, which for this program are all easily fixable either this year or next year. Take it easy clown.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

There were 13,651 people there last night, that's only 1,000 short of capacity. 1,000 people short due to all 3 factors I named, which for this program are all easily fixable either this year or next year. Take it easy clown.
This
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Only 34 straight years leading the PAC in attendance, what a fail :roll:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Resorting to name calling huh.

And watching the game there were far more than 1000 empty seats
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

So you watch basketball games and manually count how many empty seats there are. You truly are a winner. You're being a one man clown show on this topic, so yes calling you a clown is deserved. We'll still be one of the top 25 basketball schools in attendance in a down year. Quit being dumb and go back to bitching about football attendance.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Only empty seats I saw was when the game was well out of hand and people were heading home to unwind and get ready for their day today.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Watching the game . . . on TV?

Heh...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Watching the game . . . on TV?

Heh...

#badfan
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It is impossible to actually have a contrarian viewpoint on every topic ever brought up since the beginning of time.... isn't it?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote:It is impossible to actually have a contrarian viewpoint on every topic ever brought up since the beginning of time.... isn't it?
He just thinks it was "interesting".
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Alieberman wrote:It is impossible to actually have a contrarian viewpoint on every topic ever brought up since the beginning of time.... isn't it?
But he's gonna try.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:
But he's gonna try.
What a time to be alive....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

hand wringing about bball attendance?

:lol: :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I was at the game and I think the empty seat number was comfortably over 1,000. It hasnt just been the student section. There are multiple upper level sections that are completely empty. My section is among the most filled and its lucky if its half filled. The ones who move down cant even dent the void in the upper student section, and theres plenty of open high dollar seats.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

They had a ton of season tickets not sell this year. The most they've had in years but next year we'll be fine.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I have heard from locals I know attendance is down a bit but nothing major. I have heard the new donor lounge is a great feature and being able to get beer is as well.

My dad's cousin who has great season tickets says locals are upset at how poor the non-conference slate is and has been. I think that's just all of college basketball nowadays.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
sf25

Post by sf25 »

My friend and I share 4 upper level season tickets. One of our regular buyers told us the UTEP game was the worst he’s seen in a while. The 6 PM start didn’t do us any favors. Next year should boost the season ticket market again, with Gonzaga and UCLA back on the home schedule.