UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Post by Olsondogg »

Odogg has questions? Yeah of course I do. So should you.

Gabe York: 37% FG, 38.5% from 3, 67% from line

Those are numbers that need improvement, along with his defense...which has improved and needs to continue.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Furthermore, there wasn't a player with significant minutes last year who shot worse than York City, outside of Jordin...who was roasted by this fan base fare more than Gabe.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

"Shot worse" is kinda marginal. Guards have lower shooting percentages, especially when they take a lot of threes.

You're right about the need for improvement, but comparing him to the frontline is pointless on FG%. As for the frontline, Ashley and Tarc need to gather more boards, even though they're better rebounders than York. :mrgreen:
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:"Shot worse" is kinda marginal. Guards have lower shooting percentages, especially when they take a lot of threes.

You're right about the need for improvement, but comparing him to the frontline is pointless on FG%. As for the frontline, Ashley and Tarc need to gather more boards, even though they're better rebounders than York. :mrgreen:
True on the FG accounts, but I also wanted to point out to Harvey that the one player that shot a lower % was beat up on the boards a lot more than York City.

I want him to play better just like we all do. Hopefully what I've read about him will translate on the court.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If there weren't a Jordin Mayes (before that Fogg), we would've had to invent him. Who will that be this year?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Cbs sports named rhj a preseason first team all American and Stanley Johnson as third team.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I read on the pay sight that, apparently, Stanley Johnson is a bit of a nerd.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I'm wondering if Elliot Pitts gets more playing time this season. York seems to have
Miller's attention at the moment, but EP has a good bball IQ, shoots the 3 well, is bigger and stronger...so does he get on the 6-8 rotation?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

HiCat wrote:I'm wondering if Elliot Pitts gets more playing time this season. York seems to have
Miller's attention at the moment, but EP has a good bball IQ, shoots the 3 well, is bigger and stronger...so does he get on the 6-8 rotation?
That's a great question. We all know the usual pattern where the big jump in improvement is usually comes in the sophomore year. York finished his sophomore year with, basically, having a long ways to go. Are Miller's comments about York observations, motivations, or general support? Right now is the real start of York and Pitts competing for backup minutes at the 2. I don't think we really know who will come out on top.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote: I still have questions on York. I need to see more on the floor. It's nice being a spot up shooter, but the dude needs to hit the mid-range and take it to the rim w/o rejection.

Exactly. Gabe shot 73 2 point shots last year making 25 (34%). He shot 148 3 pt shots and made 57 (39%). We know from his HS highlight reel he has some very nice hops and hopefully should get some of those Nick Johnson backdoor cuts.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well..at least we have basketball. Now that we have a bye week I think I'm going to check out of football for a couple weeks and only think basketball.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

And with Red/Blue being televised (on a delay) we can spend next Saturday night with the basketball team. And it's impossible for the team to lose! :P
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
az91

Post by az91 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well..at least we have basketball. Now that we have a bye week I think I'm going to check out of football for a couple weeks and only think basketball.
I am checking out of football for the rest of the season after the USC fiasco. Basketball season can't get here quickly enough.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The year of the Yorkshire
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

This attitude is why our football program is the way it is. Support your team. I am sure you were probably saying this team is legit and you are behind them. And after a loss to legitimate top 20 in the country now it's they shouldnt even have a team. COME ON MAAAAAAAN!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

az91 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Well..at least we have basketball. Now that we have a bye week I think I'm going to check out of football for a couple weeks and only think basketball.
I am checking out of football for the rest of the season after the USC fiasco. Basketball season can't get here quickly enough.
Are you serious? Checking out after a two-point loss when we're 5-1 and tied for the best record in the conference? Man, I hope the hoops season meets up with your lofty expectations.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Puerco wrote:
az91 wrote:
Are you serious? Checking out after a two-point loss when we're 5-1 and tied for the best record in the conference? Man, I hope the hoops season meets up with your lofty expectations.
PREACH!!!!!!!!!
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Arizona basketball is great, but any implication that it doesn't have it's own immense frustrations is revisionist history. Remember all the first round exits? Remember Horne's shot coming up 2 inches short against UConn? How about Steve Kerr's horrific 3 point shooting in the FF? What about Johnson's phantom offensive foul against Wisconsin just last year? And don't even get me started with our loss to Duke in the 2001 championship game or our loss to Illinois in the 2005 elite eight!

Football has ripped our collective heart out numerous times, but so has basketball.

Far as I'm concerned, only one basketball season ended with anything other than incredible disappointment, and that is 1997. That's the level of Arizona basketball. Will football get to that level? Maybe. But even if it does, immense frustration will still come along for the ride ready to kick us all in the nads!

Go Cats!!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Catstatic wrote:Arizona basketball is great, but any implication that it doesn't have it's own immense frustrations is revisionist history. Remember all the first round exits? Remember Horne's shot coming up 2 inches short against UConn? How about Steve Kerr's horrific 3 point shooting in the FF? What about Johnson's phantom offensive foul against Wisconsin just last year? And don't even get me started with our loss to Duke in the 2001 championship game or our loss to Illinois in the 2005 elite eight!

Football has ripped our collective heart out numerous times, but so has basketball.

Far as I'm concerned, only one basketball season ended with anything other than incredible disappointment, and that is 1997. That's the level of Arizona basketball. Will football get to that level? Maybe. But even if it does, immense frustration will still come along for the ride ready to kick us all in the nads!

Go Cats!!
The difference is that Arizona BB has mostly been elite. Any frustration is regarding games which would allow Arizona to be a FF or NC. Football's frustration has been that the team is not elite and can't make breakthroughs. I don't think these two are in the same category. Every year (other than the transition period from Olson to Miller) we expect the BB team to make the tourney and do well. Not so with the FB team.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Daryl Zero wrote:
The difference is that Arizona BB has mostly been elite. Any frustration is regarding games which would allow Arizona to be a FF or NC. Football's frustration has been that the team is not elite and can't make breakthroughs. I don't think these two are in the same category. Every year (other than the transition period from Olson to Miller) we expect the BB team to make the tourney and do well. Not so with the FB team.
Well said Daryl. I truly expect the basketball Cats to win every game. Still a football fan, and watch every single game and root for them to win, but I just don't expect it. Did not expect the Cats to beat USC, but watched the whole game anyway. Still upset when they lost but that's what happens when you put walk ons in critical spots. Too bad Anu could not hit a downfield receiver.

UA football never won a sole conference championship in football while in the WAC and PAC.

Not a football school.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Catstatic wrote:
This.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Tbh the success or lack thereof never determines my excitement for basketball. They could go12-0 andI'd be just as excited. Think I saw a survey where only 3% of America picks CBB as their favorite sport to follow, pretty sure I'm inthat category. Maybe Arizona being good helps, but as a kid I loved CBB.

Yes Arizona basketball has had it's fair share of disappointment but I've yet to have a football season where I was truly satisfied at the end. Even Wazzu has been to a Rose Bowl. Besides, you lose one regular season game in basketball and it didn't feel the same as football.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I just hope they get to a Rose Bowl in my lifetime. Can you even imagine the scene in Pasadena when/if they finally get there? We're talking multiple generations of long-suffering Wildcat fans eager to get a glimpse of something that likely will only happen once in our lifetimes.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

cats101 wrote:Tbh the success or lack thereof never determines my excitement for basketball. They could go12-0 andI'd be just as excited. Think I saw a survey where only 3% of America picks CBB as their favorite sport to follow, pretty sure I'm inthat category. Maybe Arizona being good helps, but as a kid I loved CBB.

Yes Arizona basketball has had it's fair share of disappointment but I've yet to have a football season where I was truly satisfied at the end. Even Wazzu has been to a Rose Bowl. Besides, you lose one regular season game in basketball and it didn't feel the same as football.
The year we smoked Miami in the Fiesta Bowl 29-0 (I think) and ended the year 12-1 (again, I think), was quite satisfying, but I get what you're saying. Another difference between basketball and football is a huge number of football teams end their years on a high note with victories in bowl games. In basketball, only one. While I agree the overall basketball season is generally much more satisfying than football, a loss in March Madness almost evens the whole thing out.

Go Cats!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:I just hope they get to a Rose Bowl in my lifetime. Can you even imagine the scene in Pasadena when/if they finally get there? We're talking multiple generations of long-suffering Wildcat fans eager to get a glimpse of something that likely will only happen once in our lifetimes.

And hopefully to the Rose Bowl when it is at the Rose Bowl, unlike this year when the Rose Bowl is in the CFB playoffs. UA wil be representing for sure. If UM turns it around can you imagine a RR coached UA team playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl?
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:I just hope they get to a Rose Bowl in my lifetime. Can you even imagine the scene in Pasadena when/if they finally get there? We're talking multiple generations of long-suffering Wildcat fans eager to get a glimpse of something that likely will only happen once in our lifetimes.

And hopefully to the Rose Bowl when it is at the Rose Bowl, unlike this year when the Rose Bowl is in the CFB playoffs. UA wil be representing for sure. If UM turns it around can you imagine a RR coached UA team playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl?
I still want to arizona stick it to the stoops boy in Oklahoma first
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Catstatic wrote:
cats101 wrote:Tbh the success or lack thereof never determines my excitement for basketball. They could go12-0 andI'd be just as excited. Think I saw a survey where only 3% of America picks CBB as their favorite sport to follow, pretty sure I'm inthat category. Maybe Arizona being good helps, but as a kid I loved CBB.

The year we smoked Miami in the Fiesta Bowl 29-0 (I think) and ended the year 12-1 (again, I think), was quite satisfying, but I get what you're saying. Another difference between basketball and football is a huge number of football teams end their years on a high note with victories in bowl games. In basketball, only one. While I agree the overall basketball season is generally much more satisfying than football, a loss in March Madness almost evens the whole thing out.

Go Cats!!
Fiesta Bowl year Cats went 10-2. ('93 season)

The 12-1 team beat Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl (1998).
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:

Oh, man. That would be amazing.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

az91 wrote:

What the hell?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Dude, I literally live 10 minutes southeast of the Rose Bowl. Hell I can see the fireworks from my house.
We better get there in my life time.

Cannot. Wait.

How fun will Old Town Pasadena be with all the Cats down there. Epic. And if we win??? Can you say, Party!!!!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CBCat wrote:
Dude, I literally live 10 minutes southeast of the Rose Bowl. Hell I can see the fireworks from my house.

Cannot. Wait.

How fun will Old Town Pasadena be with all the Cats down there. Epic. And if we win??? Can you say, Party!!!!
If/when AZ gets to (and actually wins!) a Rose Bowl, it will indeed be epic. It will be like 4th Ave in '97, maybe better. Can you even imagine all the peeps that'll come out for that one? Bruschi, Tomey, Foles, McAlister...this list could be a mile long. And those are just football guys. Do you think Luke and Iggy will miss this one?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:
CBCat wrote:

Cannot. Wait.

If/when AZ gets to (and actually wins!) a Rose Bowl, it will indeed be epic. It will be like 4th Ave in '97, maybe better. Can you even imagine all the peeps that'll come out for that one? Bruschi, Tomey, Foles, McAlister...this list could be a mile long. And those are just football guys. Do you think Luke and Iggy will miss this one?
"Mackovic, Mackovic ... I don't see your name on the list ..."
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Catstatic wrote:

Go Cats!!
Fiesta Bowl year Cats went 10-2. ('93 season)

The 12-1 team beat Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl (1998).
Thanks. It's all run together ... Now, when we get to the Rose Bowl, that will stick out like 1997 in bball!

Go Cats!!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97 wrote:Do you think Luke and Iggy will miss this one?
Dont forget about J Stew
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

"UA Embracing Favorite Role"

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/coll ... orite_role

Parker Jackson Cartwright Learns from Mistake

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/c ... /17332387/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Any idea what his mistake was?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jefe wrote:Any idea what his mistake was?
He broke the school code of conduct (I believe he cheated on something) and had to transfer to another school.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Set your dvr's
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

delete
Last edited by 84Cat on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

online streaming also
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Loving this coverage. Man we are lucky to have Coach Miller.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This is a Sean Miller/Arizona love fest. I could get used to this. :)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Yeah this coverage is unreal, can't wait for the live practice look in
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Dookie V puts us at #6. Lmao
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I hope we can listen to the practice at the next live look in. As nice as it is to hear how awesome Miller is, I don't need a bunch of talking heads in my ear when I'm trying to watch what the team is doing.

Interesting hearing how Stanley had some growing up to do. Glad to hear he's matured a lot over the summer.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks
1. Arizona: This was a relatively easy pick for the top spot. It starts with T.J. McConnell, one of those senior point guards whose value doesn’t always get noticed, and continues with Stanley Johnson and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, who are as good of a pair of wings as you’ll find anywhere in the country. Shooting will be a concern, which points to the importance of Kadeem Allen and Gabe York, but good luck trying to run offense against the Wildcats.
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... r-attacks/
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ESPN's power rankings out...UA number 2:

Coach Sean Miller has the bodies to play with any team in the country because he possesses a fleet of big athletes. But Miller's roster also boasts a unique element. Stanley Johnson's arrival and the first-year big man's ability to play multiple positions will allow Miller to shift between bigger and smaller lineups, when prudent, throughout the season.

Johnson is a 6-foot-7, 230-pound wing who had 6.7 percent body fat the day he arrived in Tucson. He's a genetic freak with the speed to play shooting guard and small forward but the brawn and power to thrive on the inside. Johnson's inclusion gives Miller options that he lacked last year. He could go with a traditional lineup that features T.J. McConnell, Gabe York, Johnson or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarczewksi. But what if he wants to step outside the box or even smash the box?

Miller could roll with McConnell, Johnson at shooting guard, Hollis-Jefferson at the 3-spot, Ashley and Tarczewski. If Arizona faces a quicker, shifty opponent, he could use a McConnell/York/Hollis-Jefferson/ Johnson/Ashley arrangement. The bottom line is that the Wildcats are not only huge (7-footer Dusan Ristic and 6-7 Craig Victor will come off the bench), they're adaptable.

JAY BILAS' BEST CASE
Freshman F Stanley Johnson proves to be more effective than Aaron Gordon was -- particularly on offense. He teams with Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Kaleb Tarczewski and Brandon Ashley to form a deep, big frontcourt, while T.J. McConnell provides great leadership at the point. Coach Sean Miller finally leads his team past the Elite Eight, and it challenges for a title.

AND WORST CASE
Nobody fills the void Nick Johnson left at shooting guard and as a clutch scorer. A lack of veteran leadership keeps the team from title-level chemistry, and the offense continues long stretches of inefficiency. Once again, the Wildcats knock on the Final Four door but fail to kick it down

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... r-rankings
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UA 7/1 to win it all:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-bas ... s/futures/

Kentucky 3/1
Arizona 7/1
Duke 10/1
Wisconsin 10/1
North Carolina 12/1
Kansas 15/1
Florida 17/1
Gonzaga 28/1
Texas 28/1
Iowa State 35/1
Louisville 35/1
San Diego State 35/1
Villanova 35/1
Wichita State 35/1
Michigan State 40/1
Michigan 45/1
Syracuse 45/1
VCU 45/1
Virginia 45/1
Ohio State 65/1
Oklahoma 65/1
UConn 65/1
Pittsburgh 70/1
Iowa 80/1
Miami, Fl 80/1
SMU 100/1
Field (Any Other Team) 100/1
Arkansas 110/1
Baylor 110/1
Florida State 110/1
Georgetown 110/1
Indiana 110/1
Kansas State 110/1
Memphis 110/1
Minnesota 110/1
Providence 110/1
Seton Hall 110/1
St Louis 110/1
Stanford 110/1
Tennessee 110/1
UCLA 110/1
UNLV 110/1
St. Johns 150/1
Illinois 175/1
Utah 175/1
Alabama 200/1
Cincinnati 200/1
Colorado 200/1
Dayton 200/1
Georgia 200/1
Harvard 200/1
Marquette 200/1
Maryland 200/1
Nebraska 200/1
Notre Dame 200/1
Oklahoma State 200/1
Oregon 200/1
NC State 250/1
Clemson 300/1
Creighton 300/1
George Washington 300/1
Georgia Tech 300/1
Missouri 300/1
New Mexico 300/1
Ole Miss 300/1
South Carolina 300/1
UMass 300/1
USC 300/1
UTEP 300/1
Vanderbilt 300/1
West Virginia 300/1
Xavier 300/1
Auburn 350/1
Arizona State 500/1
BYU 500/1
Boston College 500/1
Butler 500/1
California 500/1
Colorado State 500/1
DePaul 500/1
Fresno State 500/1
Illinois State 500/1
LSU 500/1
LaSalle 500/1
Louisiana Tech 500/1
Murray State 500/1
New Mexico State 500/1
Northern Iowa 500/1
Northwestern 500/1
Penn State 500/1
Purdue 500/1
Richmond 500/1
St. Bonaventure 500/1
St. Joseph's 500/1
Texas A&M 500/1
Texas Tech 500/1
Washington 500/1
UCSB 1000/1
Virginia Tech 1000/1
Wake Forest 1000/1
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The two players of our starting 5, that are getting the least attention in the press, are the two most important players to success this year.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »