let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

billk78

Re: let's talk '19

Post by billk78 »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
azgreg wrote:Is out '19 class full now?
I think we take a traditional sit out transfer or two as well, but as far as guys who will play immediately yeah that's probably it.
So how many early exits you think we have next year if you had to guess? 3?
Do you mean at the end of this season or the end of 19?

I'm nowhere near in the know like some of these guys so this is purely me guessing because it seems fun.

I think after this year anywhere from 1-3 guys could be gone (Smith, Barcello, Akot) maybe transfer due to lack of time next year. Only guys I could see trying to go to the league are Randolph or Williams. But I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe Randolph tests the waters but I dont think he's ready....could change by March. I'm hoping Doutrive gets minutes so we dont have to worry about him going elsewhere.

After 2019 we will probably be looking at a lot of guys leaving if we end of being as good as most people hope. Green, Nnaji, Nico all possible one and dones. But I think Nico stays. Have to see how they all perform though. If he develops like we hope, Williams will likely be gone after his sophomore year. Randolph could go as well.

So it might be '19 or bust for now.

Again, this is my totally guessing and I have no insight lol.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think we take a traditional sit out transfer or two as well, but as far as guys who will play immediately yeah that's probably it.
No inside info here, just my observations and knowledge of how these things go, but I'd definitely say 2-3.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No inside info here, just my observations and knowledge of how these things go, but I'd definitely say 2-3.
Yeah I think that makes a lot of sense. Dylan plus one of Akot/Barcello plus Randolph would be my guess. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was 4 tbh.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I feel outside the norm here, but I'd be really disappointed to see Akot leave. I think I'm higher on him than most here. He is struggling on offense, but it's more noticeable because we badly need scoring punch off the bench. His D is something that really helps us. Having a veteran wing who knows D is big for next year because I don't really expect Smith back and am not sure about Randolph.

Guys like Green, Armstrong and Mannion are talented, but we've seen talented guys struggle to adjust on D. Defense is always the biggest adjustment for a player hs to college. Having Akot there bridges that gap. Also, he needs to do a lot less on offense when he's surrounded by more firepower.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I feel outside the norm here, but I'd be really disappointed to see Akot leave. I think I'm higher on him than most here. He is struggling on offense, but it's more noticeable because we badly need scoring punch off the bench. His D is something that really helps us. Having a veteran wing who knows D is big for next year because I don't really expect Smith back and am not sure about Randolph.

Guys like Green, Armstrong and Mannion are talented, but we've seen talented guys struggle to adjust on D. Defense is always the biggest adjustment for a player hs to college. Having Akot there bridges that gap. Also, he needs to do a lot less on offense when he's surrounded by more firepower.
Good point. I agree with this along with the fact you never know (and I am not trying to jinx here) when the injury bug may hit us like it did a couple of years back or even worse a stupid suspension. Your 8 deep rotation could drop to 6 in a heartbeat.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I feel outside the norm here, but I'd be really disappointed to see Akot leave. I think I'm higher on him than most here. He is struggling on offense, but it's more noticeable because we badly need scoring punch off the bench. His D is something that really helps us. Having a veteran wing who knows D is big for next year because I don't really expect Smith back and am not sure about Randolph.
Akot is big and athletic. He's got a great basketball build. I'm just not seeing a lot of hoops skill. Maybe his defense is so valuable that his O becomes less of an issue. Maybe. But it's hard to win Pac titles and advance deep in the tourney with offensive liabilities on the floor.

I, too, would be disappointed to see Akot leave. He needs to figure out how to make an impact on offense. He doesn't have to be a three-point shooter or drive-and-dish player. He can impact the offensive end by crashing the boards and making good post entry passes. This year, he's shooting 30% FG, 11% 3FG% and 66% FTs. That's pretty bad for a 5-star sophomore.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Akot is big and athletic. He's got a great basketball build. I'm just not seeing a lot of hoops skill. Maybe his defense is so valuable that his O becomes less of an issue. Maybe. But it's hard to win Pac titles and advance deep in the tourney with offensive liabilities on the floor.

I, too, would be disappointed to see Akot leave. He needs to figure out how to make an impact on offense. He doesn't have to be a three-point shooter or drive-and-dish player. He can impact the offensive end by crashing the boards and making good post entry passes. This year, he's shooting 30% FG, 11% 3FG% and 66% FTs. That's pretty bad for a 5-star sophomore.
Akot is a hell of a player with the ball in his hands against inferior competition. He has poise, timing, passing, handles, finishing, outside shooting, and the ability to generate his own shot. To me, that means he's can adjust to better defenses if he gets reps and can work through mistakes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Akot is a hell of a player with the ball in his hands against inferior competition. He has poise, timing, passing, handles, finishing, outside shooting, and the ability to generate his own shot. To me, that means he's can adjust to better defenses if he gets reps and can work through mistakes.
Timing? Passing? Handles? Are we watching the same guy? Maybe you're basing this more off of his best games last year and not off the current season? There's the old adage about guys making the biggest leap between freshman and sophomore year. I'm not seeing that from Akot. Yet.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

I don't think it's hard to advance with a guy who isn't great on O. Look at Eugene Edgerson. He pretty well shot only dunks and layups and he played on a few teams that advanced.

Akot actually has to be guarded more than Edgerson did.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Against inferior competition. He was All-World on offense against Western New Mexico.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Remember, Akot is a 18 yo sophomore. If you want 4 year guys, he is your guy. He just needs to learn his role. Play tough d, get some boards and put backs & you will get playing time on a Miller coached team
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:Remember, Akot is a 18 yo sophomore. If you want 4 year guys, he is your guy. He just needs to learn his role. Play tough d, get some boards and put backs & you will get playing time on a Miller coached team
The fact he reclassified gets lost a lot with Akot. He should be a few games into his college career.

I fully agree with the idea that you need to ride with guys through tough times if you want four year players. He doesn't do anything that implies he can never be a decent offensive player. Make a few shots and he's fine.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:Remember, Akot is a 18 yo sophomore. If you want 4 year guys, he is your guy. He just needs to learn his role. Play tough d, get some boards and put backs & you will get playing time on a Miller coached team
The fact he reclassified gets lost a lot with Akot. He should be a few games into his college career.

I fully agree with the idea that you need to ride with guys through tough times if you want four year players. He doesn't do anything that implies he can never be a decent offensive player. Make a few shots and he's fine.
Sounds good to me. I want to see him stick around and evolve. Next year is shaping up to be a special one, and I'd love to see EA involved.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I like Akot, but every time he dribbles or shoots I’m filled with a sense of impending doom.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

He's 19 about to turn 20 in March- which is the typical age of non redshirt sophomore athletes and non athlete students. Guys like Bagley, Mannion etc reclassifying doesn't mean they're jumping ahead, it means they were a year behind (and year older for their class) and jumping back into the academic year typical of their age.

Johnathan Givnoy wrote this on Akot on February 24th, 2017 before reclassifying.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Emmanuel-Akot-90626" target="_blank
Strengths:
-Good size for the wing at 6'6 ½ without shoes. -Strong 195 pound frame that should continue to fill out significantly in time
-Measured the biggest hands at the camp
-Very good athlete. Good combination of quickness and power, although not incredibly explosive
-Showed nice versatility offensively, bringing the ball up the court regularly and getting his team into their offense.
-Shows potential as a shot-creator in the half-court. Impressive changing gears powerfully in pick and roll situations
-Finds teammates off the dribble unselfishly -Bulldozer in transition who loves to drive straight into opponents' bodies to clear space or draw fouls
-Strong first step attacking closeouts. Shows some creativity with his finishes
-Makes more spot-up jump-shots than you'd think considering how unconventional his mechanics are. Appears to have good touch
-Unlimited energy. Plays with a very high intensity level on both ends of the floor. Tough, no-nonsense demeanor that coaches will love.
-Multi-positional defender that showed the ability to guard anywhere from 1-4 at this camp. Relishes the challenge of stopping the opposing team's best player
-Playmaker who crashes the glass, gets in the passing lanes and even blocks some shots on occasion. Boxes out opponents, goes out of area and pursues loose balls with a purpose.
Here his weaknesses pointed out by Givony are glaring and apparent what we are watching.
Weaknesses:
-Year old for his class. Turning 18 next month but over a year and a half away from entering college still. -Measured a 6'9 wingspan, which is not ideal for someone you'd like to see spend time at the stretch-4 position.
-Lacks some shake/polish as a half-court ball-handler, especially in one on one situations.
-Shooting mechanics are inconsistent/unconventional. Brings the ball around the world, jumps forward, and shoots a push shot that he snaps from in front of his face. Elevates high off the ground and doesn't always shoot it with the same release point.
-Struggles to make shots off the dribble consistently.

Outlook: Akot has taken his game to another level in the last year, adding 20 pounds to his frame and apparently even growing an inch according to our measurements. His athleticism has evolved and the new-found strength is allowing him to punish opponents on both ends of the floor when combined with his motor and toughness. Akot had a very impressive showing at this camp and it's easy to see why he is such a highly sought after recruit for college coaches. If he continues to polish his scoring arsenal, he'll be considered a top-shelf prospect for NBA teams in time as well. -
Personally, Akot might be a good college player in a couple of years if he stays, but have given up any hope. How many 20 year old kids who aren't genetic freaks like Giannis learn how to play basketball at that stage? He isn't big enough to be a stretch 4 -which were his skill set could be more useful- certainly doesn't have the wing span either. Personally, Lee has better potential, at least he's thick.

When Akot puts the ball on the floor, he just doesn't know what to do at this level. He also gets lost on defense repeatedly and isn't as good of a on ball pressure defender that this team badly needs (switched on every screen).

I was completely driving the train before that we didn't need Nnaji or JRE because Gettings, Lee and stretch Akot would suffice, not anymore. Thank God for the Nnaji commitment.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:6'8 stretch 4's are great in college, but not likely to be able to leave immediately for a high pick.
He's 6'11...
Well, I don't know why I started to think he was 6'8. Maybe I looked at an old profile.
I like that better, and that's nice because he can easily be a 5 backing Jeter a little. That does also make me think if he transitions well to college, he has a better crack at getting drafted. Sorry, I forget why I got stuck on him being 6'8.
Here he is next to Desjardins and Jeter. Id like to think I played a small part in his recruitment but it was probably all the girls in short shorts on the mall. Stole another one away from the 24/7 Crystal Ball!
Jefe wrote:Ran into Jeter, Desjardins and Zeke Nnaji at the tailgate. They were showing Zeke around for his unofficial visit. Kid is huge! I was with a group of bball fans so we all did our part to fill him in on what to expect. He was having a blast

goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I get what you're saying, but I don't feel like Akot's D is actually great? Maybe I'm missing it when I watch, but I feel like the defense Akot theoretically should provide given his body and athleticism is not all that close to the defense Akot actually provides. I have seen basically zero tangible improvement in Akot's game from last year, which is very disappointing for a big time recruit like he was. To defend Akot a bit though, as of now I'd definitely prefer Barcello and Smith leaving next year over him. At least I see the possibility of some upside with Akot...
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Coach is locked in and fully engaged. I love the intensity he shows in this pc

prh

Post by prh »

NYCat wrote:
That's the Sean we saw in post-Schlabach presser. I like that Sean.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote:

I get what you're saying, but I don't feel like Akot's D is actually great? Maybe I'm missing it when I watch, but I feel like the defense Akot theoretically should provide given his body and athleticism is not all that close to the defense Akot actually provides. I have seen basically zero tangible improvement in Akot's game from last year, which is very disappointing for a big time recruit like he was. To defend Akot a bit though, as of now I'd definitely prefer Barcello and Smith leaving next year over him. At least I see the possibility of some upside with Akot...
FWIW: There is no one I've been more disappointed in this season than Akot.

ORtg by game:

Houston Baptist 107
Cal Poly 90
UTEP 46
Iowa St 0
Gonzaga 56
Auburn 43

Akot is in the same offensive production group as Dylan Smith and Alex Barcello. He's the same height as Ira Lee and rebounds at half the rate.

Akot failing to step up so far this season is the biggest gut punch of the season so far. We really need him with our thin front court. I'm losing faith.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

FWIW: There is no one I've been more disappointed in this season than Akot.

ORtg by game:

Houston Baptist 107
Cal Poly 90
UTEP 46
Iowa St 0
Gonzaga 56
Auburn 43

Akot is in the same offensive production group as Dylan Smith and Alex Barcello. He's the same height as Ira Lee and rebounds at half the rate.

Akot failing to step up so far this season is the biggest gut punch of the season so far. We really need him with our thin front court. I'm losing faith.
Man, we sucked on O vs Iowa St.

The Smith comparison I can get on board with. I think Akot has produced similarly. I think we get disappointed with Akot in a way we don't with Smith because we can see so much more potential in Akot.

If you look at Akot's advanced stats, his D and rebounding are slightly up vs his freshman year. His offense is dragged down by not making shots, but not as far as Smith's. Starting to make shots is a premium for both.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

28 last night

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ballislife is putting up videos for basically every game Nico plays.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That team he’s playing against looks TERRIBLE. But still, it’s clear we’re getting a very good player.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Zeke- ... nkHistory/" target="_blank

Nnaji was ranked >#200 in the nation coming into this summer AAU season. Guys that blow up like that usually ends up two ways. One, they blow up and plateau either because they over performed to climb in the rankings or they reached their peak. Two, they keep getting better and better.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ighlights/" target="_blank

Zeke looks to me like a guy who can come in and make an impact right away. His size and skill level mean he can likely contribute significantly as a freshman. He'll need to add strength and improve his conditioning, obviously, but that's true of 99% of freshman.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Zeke- ... nkHistory/

Nnaji was ranked >#200 in the nation coming into this summer AAU season. Guys that blow up like that usually ends up two ways. One, they blow up and plateau either because they over performed to climb in the rankings or they reached their peak. Two, they keep getting better and better.
Or option 3, which is they played for a small AAU team that no one cared to watch then switched to one many people cared to watch and came from off the radar to squarely on it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Makes sense. Saw that Evan Daniels player comp for Nnaji is Trey Lyles, which is just fine
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... co-mannion" target="_blank

Q&A with five-star Nico Mannion

EB: You made the move from 2020 to 2019 and get the commitment out of the way. What does that do for you? What about your No. 1 recruiting class?

NM: We have the No. 1 class right now and I’m stoked. I can’t wait to get up there. Everyone that’s going I’m close to. So it’s nice because we are all good players but great kids to so it will be easy to mesh that group together.

After I committed, it’s been really easy. I’m really comfortable in my decision and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. It really helps me to just play my game and not worry about anything else, just the games.

EB: I’d like to get your scouting report on the class. Let’s start with Josh Green because you’ve played with him for a while. What do you like about him, how is he going to fit in with you?

NM: Me and him already have chemistry. It will be easy to play with him. He’s just coming back off of shoulder surgery right now and is back playing games and his jumper is looking even better than it was. Still ultra athletic and he can guard one through four and he’s put on weight. He’s looking great right now. He’s easy to play with.

EB: Zeke Nnaji, what are you looking forward to about him?

NM: I haven’t really seen him play as much but from what I’ve heard he can really stretch the floor. He’s tough a tough as nails matchup and I’ve heard he’s really easy to play with. He’s not high maintenance and it will be nice to have a four that can stretch the floor, play pick and pop.

EB: Terry Armstrong is kind of that athletic X factor kind of wing. What’s you feel on him?

NM: He’s about 6-foot-7, has long arms and can score and shoot. He’s going to be easy to play with as well. The good thing about everyone in this class is that we are all close and we are all good kids. We all know what we do well and to mesh it should be easy.

EB: What about you? What’s your self scouting report?

NM: I’m a high IQ point guard. I really like to pass, I really like to get the ball ahead and push because I feel like I play well in transition. I also feel like I can shoot and if we need a bucket, I can get one.

EB: Do you take a lot of pride in being the No. 1 class in the country?

NM: I do. When I committed, I really wanted to get that one spot or at least be top three. Once Terry came, Josh had already come, then Zeke was that piece to push us over the edge because we needed a four. The fact that Zeke committed was huge.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/arizona-be ... -armstrong" target="_blank

Bella Vista Prep head coach Kyle Weaver thinks the group will connect well as Wildcats next year.

“They’re going to have the best backcourt in college basketball,” Weaver said. “I truly believe.”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

One thing that hit me yesterday is how much higher our defensive ceiling should be.

Armstrong is long and athletic. Green is athletic with a good motor. Nnaji moves really well for a big guy. Mannion is athletic and decent size for a pg. Our returners should also be athletes who can move and attack.

It feels like that aspect of the program was slipping and this year is about reestablishing D. Our recent recruiting seems more perimeter oriented, but also getting back to guys who can create problems for the other team on D.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:One thing that hit me yesterday is how much higher our defensive ceiling should be.

Armstrong is long and athletic. Green is athletic with a good motor. Nnaji moves really well for a big guy. Mannion is athletic and decent size for a pg. Our returners should also be athletes who can move and attack.

It feels like that aspect of the program was slipping and this year is about reestablishing D. Our recent recruiting seems more perimeter oriented, but also getting back to guys who can create problems for the other team on D.
The pieces are certainly there to be a better defensive team, but the issue always seems to be knowledge of the system. Hell based on measurables Doutrive should be a very good defender, but he's far from it at the moment. Green, however, should be our best defender with his 6'10 wingspan, which means he can play the 4 in spurts where it makes sense to. Should be interesting just how we look on that end of the floor next year, but experience in the packline will not be on our side.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:One thing that hit me yesterday is how much higher our defensive ceiling should be.

The pieces are certainly there to be a better defensive team, but the issue always seems to be knowledge of the system. Hell based on measurables Doutrive should be a very good defender, but he's far from it at the moment. Green, however, should be our best defender with his 6'10 wingspan, which means he can play the 4 in spurts where it makes sense to. Should be interesting just how we look on that end of the floor next year, but experience in the packline will not be on our side.
I hope Jeter, Williams, Lee, Akot, Doutrive and maybe Randolph help. I'm not sure if Randolph returns and I think Smith is likely gone. At least we have a solid core of 5 guys who all have packline experience.

We were our best in 13-14 and we had 3 sophs (one of whom, York, got less time than DD), 2 freshmen and two juniors in our initial rotation. Packline has worked with a similar level of experience before to produce the nation's best defensive team.

I share concern that things don't develop, but we don't have the glaring physical issues guys like PJC and Dusan brought to the table. We were always limited by that, IMO.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I hope Jeter, Williams, Lee, Akot, Doutrive and maybe Randolph help. I'm not sure if Randolph returns and I think Smith is likely gone. At least we have a solid core of 5 guys who all have packline experience.

We were our best in 13-14 and we had 3 sophs (one of whom, York, got less time than DD), 2 freshmen and two juniors in our initial rotation. Packline has worked with a similar level of experience before to produce the nation's best defensive team.

I share concern that things don't develop, but we don't have the glaring physical issues guys like PJC and Dusan brought to the table. We were always limited by that, IMO.
SS, I am most worried about Jeter returning. He really is the key to having that experience. The recent statements/inferences by people who are/seem connected about him graduating in December and maybe just wants to get on with this career are concerning.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:

That’s something I’ve been thinking a lot about recently...our defensive performance the last few years has been pretty meh. I don’t think the packline is conducive to a program that recruits like we do. Too many freshmen struggle to pick up the concepts, regardless of how athletic or talented they are. At times, I wish Miller had a bit more flexibility in his defensive concepts to play to the strengths of the team, as opposed to fitting a square peg in a round hole.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

I think in order to win a National Championship you have to be able to adjust and try new things. I would like Arizona to play different defenses to throw the opponent off. It can also change the flow of a game.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

So there's a real chance Chase Jeter won't be back next year? Where is he going? NBA?
Seems like as captain who has finally found a home here he would want to stick around for what could be a special season. I sure hope he does.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

billk78 wrote:So there's a real chance Chase Jeter won't be back next year? Where is he going? NBA?
Seems like as captain who has finally found a home here he would want to stick around for what could be a special season. I sure hope he does.
Jeter not returning would be a nightmare for our defense next year...need him or a high quality grad transfer replacement if we want to be title contenders next year. I think Nnaji and Gettings will be solid enough but need one more high quality big with them, hoping it’s Jeter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote:So there's a real chance Chase Jeter won't be back next year? Where is he going? NBA?
I'd be interested in people with real connections weighing in about whether this is a real possibility. I know it's tossed out, but it seems odd, and I can't imagine the NBA is really high probability for him at this point.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'd be interested in people with real connections weighing in about whether this is a real possibility. I know it's tossed out, but it seems odd, and I can't imagine the NBA is really high probability for him at this point.
No connections here on any of that, but I think its clear he isnt an NBA player.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
No connections here on any of that, but I think its clear he isnt an NBA player.
I agree. That's why I don't get the justification for leaving. Overseas teams don't have the rookie salary structure that justifies getting your clock ticking a year earlier. They also expect immediate production to a degree NBA teams don't.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He could have gone pro at any time but chose to sit out a year to play at Arizona.

That strikes me as a guy with a long term plan to maximize his earning potential.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
He'll have his degree in hand by the end of this month and while he's aware the NBA is probably not in the cards the quicker he goes pro the quicker he makes money (no rookie wage scale or not). Nothing is done either way and that final decision won't take place until the season is over, but he needs to be sold on a grad degree along with playing for a FF. He's not leaning in either way at the moment from what I understand, so no reason to panic, but the option is fully on the table for him still.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:He could have gone pro at any time but chose to sit out a year to play at Arizona.

That strikes me as a guy with a long term plan to maximize his earning potential.
This.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:He could have gone pro at any time but chose to sit out a year to play at Arizona.

He wouldn't have had his degree if he went pro anytime prior to this season. That mattered to him and his family.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

He wouldn't have had his degree if he went pro anytime prior to this season. That mattered to him and his family.
Do you think he would have gotten drafted if he went pro prior to what he's done this season?
Would he even get drafted after this season? Does he care?
Seems to me best case scenario is play one more season, improve, go pro after your final season when you're at your best. Figures to give him the best chance.

I do think it's possible he plays well enough this year to get noticed. But enough to be drafted? I guess we will see.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

You don't need to be drafted to get paid in Europe or China.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote:You don't need to be drafted to get paid in Europe or China.
Or New York.