2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrMeow

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by MrMeow »

PHXCATS wrote:Nobody cares about PAC12 titles besides homers and apologists. People only care about titles and final fours
PAC12 titles are like reunions. They're fun for about an hour.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

MrMeow wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Nobody cares about PAC12 titles besides homers and apologists. People only care about titles and final fours
Exactly. If people cared we would all be saying Bill Self is a top 3 coach ever and not talking shit about him all the time
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I care about Pac titles. And Self is a better coach than some here like to admit.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote:
They are also good for getting under ASU's skin.

ASU PAC championships:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:I care about Pac titles. And Self is a better coach than some here like to admit.
When was the last time at the game or watching the game you saw someone with a pac10 or pac12 regular season title shirt? Now think when you have seen national title and final four shirts.

Hell Underestimated City made new title shirts that sold a lot. Saw a lot in Vegas in March
Last edited by PHXCATS on Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

zonagrad wrote: So little to show for it?????

Arizona has won 5 Pac 12 titles in 9 years. Why is this somehow dismissed as no big deal?
I wanted to address this part of your post.

I think people dismiss this as no big deal for some very simple reasons:

1) The pac-12 has down-right sucked turing Miller's tenure at AZ
I mean the pac has been just awful during his time here. This isn't the pac-10 of Lute's heyday here, this is an era where regular season pac-12 champs aren't even guaranteed to make the real tourney. The pac-12 championship is a joke, both regionally and nationally at this point. So yes, we're winning the pac-12 frequently, but the pac-12 has ben shit so that isn't really too impressive. Just like Gonzaga constantly winning their shit conference isn't really impressive. Top teams should win shit conferences year after year.

2) Miller's won with some pretty amazing talent (this is both a positive as he's able to recruit well, and a negative as the talent hasn't broken through in the real tourney despite a couple of close calls)
Take last year as an example. #1 NBA pick at center and a future NBA star at a guard position and ..... won the pac-12 only to flame out 1st round in the real tournament.
Miller doesn't seem to know how to (or care to at the very least) tailor his system to the players on his team. He's intransigent and while the line of "do what we do" is catchy and all, eventually it turns into one of those "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Most of this comes off as entitled petulance, not the savvy, cynical take people think they are making. Especially if you are on the football board demanding people show up and support true mediocrity then coming on to the basketball board and saying FinalFour or hit the highway. I don’t get it.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Beachcat97 wrote:And the board is starting to turn against Miller.

Keep in mind, guys, that we were supposed to have Quinerly, Little and O'Neal.

Count me among those who think we're going to bounce back in a huge way next season.
Even with those three we wouldn't be much better IMHO. By bounce back in a huge way I'm assuming another 'elite' 8? No thanks. I'd almost rather us lose in the first round or not even make the tournament than fall on our faces again with a Final Four at stake.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Most of this comes off as entitled petulance, not the savvy, cynical take people think they are making. Especially if you are on the football board demanding people show up and support true mediocrity then coming on to the basketball board and saying FinalFour or hit the highway. I don’t get it.
Ok so we should celebrate the mediocrity that's the current state of the basketball program? If you want to celebrate that do it on your own time. Some of us have higher expectations.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:And the board is starting to turn against Miller.

Keep in mind, guys, that we were supposed to have Quinerly, Little and O'Neal.

Count me among those who think we're going to bounce back in a huge way next season.
Even with those three we wouldn't be much better IMHO. By bounce back in a huge way I'm assuming another 'elite' 8? No thanks. I'd almost rather us lose in the first round or not even make the tournament than fall on our faces again with a Final Four at stake.
That's probably very true. O'Neal is of course out for a heart condition, and Quinerly is barely in the rotation for Nova. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... rly-1.html" target="_blank

Little doing well though http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cbk/pla ... ?id=148418" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Nobody cares about people who communicate with sweeping generalities except...

oh, wait. If I finish, I am doing the same thing.

PHXCAT...you do you. But speaking for everyone else based on what you hear from your circle of whoever is just that...you speaking. Nothing more.

Final Fours are great. And are also a marketing tool that requires one more game in a single elim tournament. Titles are what we all play for. So, good catch.

But we also play in a conference. And the point is to win the conference. Then compete in the tournament. The conference determines a true champion. A 6 game single elimination tournament sometimes gets the best team, sometimes gets a fun series of upsets. It is March Madness, not March Of the Champion.

Sometimes you have a team to compete for a national title. Sometimes you don't. There are 350+ teams in D1, and few can compete for a national title. But while we are down, it would be pretty fucking awesome to win the PAC. To get a title out of this down season. To enjoy these particular student-athlete's rides, their moment. You know...be a human being, and enjoy the emotion of others trying to be their best selves.

Have you ever considered trying to do that?
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
zonagrad wrote: So little to show for it?????

Arizona has won 5 Pac 12 titles in 9 years. Why is this somehow dismissed as no big deal?
I wanted to address this part of your post.

I think people dismiss this as no big deal for some very simple reasons:

1) The pac-12 has down-right sucked turing Miller's tenure at AZ
I mean the pac has been just awful during his time here. This isn't the pac-10 of Lute's heyday here, this is an era where regular season pac-12 champs aren't even guaranteed to make the real tourney. The pac-12 championship is a joke, both regionally and nationally at this point. So yes, we're winning the pac-12 frequently, but the pac-12 has ben shit so that isn't really too impressive. Just like Gonzaga constantly winning their shit conference isn't really impressive. Top teams should win shit conferences year after year.

2) Miller's won with some pretty amazing talent (this is both a positive as he's able to recruit well, and a negative as the talent hasn't broken through in the real tourney despite a couple of close calls)
Take last year as an example. #1 NBA pick at center and a future NBA star at a guard position and ..... won the pac-12 only to flame out 1st round in the real tournament.
Miller doesn't seem to know how to (or care to at the very least) tailor his system to the players on his team. He's intransigent and while the line of "do what we do" is catchy and all, eventually it turns into one of those "insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".
Bingo! Plus, Miller doubles down by directing the players' every move so they will finally get his square peg in the round hole. Still waiting.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Captain Obvious wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Most of this comes off as entitled petulance, not the savvy, cynical take people think they are making. Especially if you are on the football board demanding people show up and support true mediocrity then coming on to the basketball board and saying FinalFour or hit the highway. I don’t get it.
Ok so we should celebrate the mediocrity that's the current state of the basketball program? If you want to celebrate that do it on your own time. Some of us have higher expectations.
I feel like I am doing this on my own time? {Taps watch to double check}

Do what you want on your time. If being chronically dissatisfied is your thing, knock yourself out. I know plenty of UCLA fans remain happy they ran Ben Howland out of town because they know UCLA deserved better than the mediocre state of the program he delivered and they continue to have higher expectations.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Captain Obvious wrote:
All of us have higher expectations for the basketball program...

... it’s hit a rough patch. Shit happens.

No one is “celebrating” these setbacks. But some are “bearing down” (heard of that, have you?), supporting the coach and student athletes, and putting all this in context....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The only Blame I have is to Book and ESPIN. I do not hold our coach responsible and Miller and staff worked their arses off to keep kids , get some decent transfers and mold them into kids who will give us some ups and downs.

I am really enjoying this year even as frustrating as it has been at times. I look forward to the journey back to the top with Miller at the lead.

Go cats and happy holidays to you all!!!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Merkin wrote:PAC-12 gives $30.9M to each school.

Total revenue for all UA sports is $75,114,700 with men's basketball bringing in $23.4M.

Nike gives $2.2M in apparel to the UA each year.

Miller's contract includes $750K in radio/TV money and $400K from Nike/IMG.
And all of these are from fans. Fans watching and listening and buying Nike gear.

Edit I admit I forgot about the student fee since it is so new. Still though no "tuition" money is used to fund athletics in any way
Machina

Is your job to just show how stupid you are every day because you do a great job of it. The student fee is included in a student tuition payment. So therefore tuition money does go to fund athletics because to a student it looks and feels like their tuition went up to cover the fee.

Also, u of a athletics ia given free scholarships by the school for all student athletes. Tuition waivers. Now there is no such thing as a free lunch so u of a recovers those costs with tuition from students as those teachers aren’t teaching athletes for free.

I don’t even disagree with the idea that entertaining fans is important as they are the main customer but your arguments are so dumb.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
prh

Post by prh »

Interesting to see the craziness in here. One down year, which means we will have roster continuity and returning talent for once, and all anyone cares about is arguing that Miller should go and whether the students have to pay for anything.

1. Miller should not go. Who the fuck is gonna replace him? He finally has some not-OAD talent that can grow over a few years. Last time we had some real veterans were Ashley/Tarc/TJ and that worked pretty well. And don't try to tell me that 14/15 weren't worth anything because no FF. That's a pretty lame copout. We know we can be at that level. If you are gonna argue that one (or two) rimmed shot is the difference between SM is amazing and SM won't ever get it done, well then head to Tempe because even they're more intelligent.

2. Who fucking cares if students have to pay something? That something gets them access to every event other than basketball and the special track meets (for some reason, always had to pay for those even with ZZ).

And students who don't care about sports? Too. Fucking. Bad. Sports programs have such a positive impact on the school that far outweigh whatever the fee is, which is very little in the grand scheme of tuition. If you think the existence of sports are waste and detriment to you, go to a D2 school instead. Because without sports, UA is not going to have 45k students and hundreds of excellent programs, including many that are world renowned.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

prh wrote: 1. Miller should not go. Who the fuck is gonna replace him? He finally has some not-OAD talent that can grow over a few years. Last time we had some real veterans were Ashley/Tarc/TJ and that worked pretty well. And don't try to tell me that 14/15 weren't worth anything because no FF. That's a pretty lame copout. We know we can be at that level. If you are gonna argue that one (or two) rimmed shot is the difference between SM is amazing and SM won't ever get it done, well then head to Tempe because even they're more intelligent.
This is the big one. Not only do I think Miller should remain our coach, given what he's achieved, but even if we were to entertain the possibility of making a change, it's not as though there's an obvious (and available) successor. No one seems to like the idea of hiring a former star player, as Georgetown, Memphis and UConn have done lately. Do you want an assistant from a different elite program? Do you want an up-and-comer, like Musselman perhaps?

Miller is a very good coach, and we're lucky to have him. We're nowhere near the point of needing to seriously consider a change.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

prh wrote:Interesting to see the craziness in here. One down year, which means we will have roster continuity and returning talent for once, and all anyone cares about is arguing that Miller should go and whether the students have to pay for anything.

1. Miller should not go. Who the fuck is gonna replace him? He finally has some not-OAD talent that can grow over a few years. Last time we had some real veterans were Ashley/Tarc/TJ and that worked pretty well. And don't try to tell me that 14/15 weren't worth anything because no FF. That's a pretty lame copout. We know we can be at that level. If you are gonna argue that one (or two) rimmed shot is the difference between SM is amazing and SM won't ever get it done, well then head to Tempe because even they're more intelligent.

2. Who fucking cares if students have to pay something? That something gets them access to every event other than basketball and the special track meets (for some reason, always had to pay for those even with ZZ).

And students who don't care about sports? Too. Fucking. Bad. Sports programs have such a positive impact on the school that far outweigh whatever the fee is, which is very little in the grand scheme of tuition. If you think the existence of sports are waste and detriment to you, go to a D2 school instead. Because without sports, UA is not going to have 45k students and hundreds of excellent programs, including many that are world renowned.
I hope this wasn’t directed at me. I am fine with the student fee as it’s pretty universal now and it’s a pretty small fee. I was more pointing out where machina was lying and making up stuff which is of course par for the course for him

I also agree letting go of Miller after this year and while he had a #1 recruiting class would be insane and so stupid. Now I do think Miller needs to continue to make adjustments as a coach but I think our alternatives are so potentially bad. Miller deserves another couple years before any decision is made and thankfully this is what Dr Robbins thinks too. Give him some time to get out of this shit sandwich. He has earned that right

All this being said, by 2022 and no final fours, I would be fine if we parted ways especially if the same problems kept coming up in terms of his coaching. I feel confident that the problems with this years team are less coaching and more that the guys on our team just aren’t good and don’t have next level talent.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Some of them don’t have this level talent.
prh

Post by prh »

Newportcat wrote:
prh wrote:Interesting to see the craziness in here. One down year, which means we will have roster continuity and returning talent for once, and all anyone cares about is arguing that Miller should go and whether the students have to pay for anything.

I hope this wasn’t directed at me. I am fine with the student fee as it’s pretty universal now and it’s a pretty small fee. I was more pointing out where machina was lying and making up stuff which is of course par for the course for him

I also agree letting go of Miller after this year and while he had a #1 recruiting class would be insane and so stupid. Now I do think Miller needs to continue to make adjustments as a coach but I think our alternatives are so potentially bad. Miller deserves another couple years before any decision is made and thankfully this is what Dr Robbins thinks too. Give him some time to get out of this shit sandwich. He has earned that right

All this being said, by 2022 and no final fours, I would be fine if we parted ways especially if the same problems kept coming up in terms of his coaching. I feel confident that the problems with this years team are less coaching and more that the guys on our team just aren’t good and don’t have next level talent.
Not directed at any one person (btw I agree with your takes about 99% of the time, including here re: the student fee).

I've just been busy and haven't been around for a few days, so after returning to absolute madness, just how I felt.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you’re not airing grievances about the basketball head coach on Christmas Eve, then you’re not doing your job as a sports message board poster.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Some of them don’t have this level talent.
I was trying to be nice since its Christmas Eve...but you are right

Sean Miller was delivered an absolute Shit Sandwich in the fall of 2017. One of his main recruiters was arrested by the FBI for taking money from Agents to direct players to them. Something if anyone thinks Miller knew about it, is so dumb it hurts me to think you could have graduated from the same university as me.

Regarding paying players, everyone does it and just facts of life but typically its done via the shoe companies through the AAU programs. The idea the Davis family is paying guys is just wrong. What Book did though taking extra cash from shady agents to push kids to them is something Miller had zero clue about and if he did, would have fired Book on the spot. Challenge was, really no way to know Book was doing that. Thats why Miller has not been fired from the U of A after they have spent over $1.7M in legal fees looking into the matter.

Then ESPN puts out its absolute BS article

Then after all this, Miller has to scramble to put a team on the court for this year. Literally field a team. Then does as good as he can but candidly the players are just not that good. It happens.

Now, he has also gone out and recruited the #1 recruiting class in the country. Which is maybe the greatest accomplishment in the history of our program outside of our National Championship if you think about it.

This in light of the fact College basketball essentially sucks nowadays too. You have to play by BS NCAA rules knowing full well everyone is cheating and breaking them. You have one and done's constantly leaving or guys leaving way before they are ready or transferring quickly so your roster turns over completely every single year which creates zero narrative like there was in college basketball before (I remember hating Jason Kapono so much now I cant even name anyone on UCLA). Now in sports Narrative is everything (Ie First Take taking the place of SportsCenter) and the only narrative in college basketball anymore is the recruiting scandals and Duke Basketball.

You have the NBA no longer looking at it as their Minor League like the NFL does and doing everything possible to undermine it with by far the best most progressive commissioner in sports. You have a younger fan base that is just not as into sports. You have to coach at a school where your Boss is not really your boss as he reports to essentially a board of directors, some of which is made up of people who dislike your program. You have the NCAA earning all their money from the NCAA tournament so all they do is hype that it up all the time with the Road to March Madness so every teams success is dictated by that. Then you have by FAR, and not even close, the most inefficient mechanism for determining a champion in sports, either college or Pro, domestic or internationally.

Oh and don't forget we have by far the worst commissioner in College sports for our conference who just absolutely fucking sucks

So yes, it is frustrating Miller can not scheme against a Zone, but have some perspective. As stated before, I have no idea why any coach would subject themselves to coaching in College right now outside of the money. And I have zero clue why Miller has not said Fuck you NCAA and become an assistant in the NBA and work himself into a head coaching job there.

Not only has he not done that, he has Bear Down and worked his fucking ass off to bringing in really talented players next year when no one thought it was possible. Knowing full well those talented players could just leave after a year too and he has to start all over again.

So give the guy some slack. We get rid of him, the chances are much greater then 50% we get someone WAY worse then him.

I want to make a Final Four as badly as anyone (Mainly because I think a lot of fans on this board would travel to it and would be cool to meet everyone in person except Machina) but given the way Miller recruits even in light of all the crap that has happened to us, it would be beyond stupid to get rid of him anytime soon.

Merry Christmas
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

That was awesome, Newport. Merry Christmas, brother.

Oh and one more thing, bear down!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Guys! Got my tickets to the Rado game next week. Going with my best bud from college, wife, and daughters. I really want to give my kids the best experience so any tips are welcome. My oldest (4yo) keeps saying she wants to see "the Arizona" which to her is the basketball court with the "big A".

How early should I show to get the kids a photo with Wilber and Wilma? Strategies for doing so? We are upper ring, but I figure get there early enough and we should be able to come down to the court to hunt them down, right? A picture of my kids with Wilbur and Wilma would just make my trip, win or lose.

Any other tips for a good day/time? We already have cheerleader outfits and other gear.

So stoaked, haven't seen a game at McKale since 2003.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:

Sean Miller was delivered an absolute Shit Sandwich in the fall of 2017. One of his main recruiters was arrested by the FBI for taking money from Agents to direct players to them. Something if anyone thinks Miller knew about it, is so dumb it hurts me to think you could have graduated from the same university as me.

Regarding paying players, everyone does it and just facts of life but typically its done via the shoe companies through the AAU programs. The idea the Davis family is paying guys is just wrong. What Book did though taking extra cash from shady agents to push kids to them is something Miller had zero clue about and if he did, would have fired Book on the spot. Challenge was, really no way to know Book was doing that. Thats why Miller has not been fired from the U of A after they have spent over $1.7M in legal fees looking into the matter.

Then after all this, Miller has to scramble to put a team on the court for this year. Literally field a team. Then does as good as he can but candidly the players are just not that good. It happens.

Now, he has also gone out and recruited the #1 recruiting class in the country. Which is maybe the greatest accomplishment in the history of our program outside of our National Championship if you think about it.

This in light of the fact College basketball essentially sucks nowadays too. You have to play by BS NCAA rules knowing full well everyone is cheating and breaking them. You have one and done's constantly leaving or guys leaving way before they are ready or transferring quickly so your roster turns over completely every single year which creates zero narrative like there was in college basketball before (I remember hating Jason Kapono so much now I cant even name anyone on UCLA). Now in sports Narrative is everything (Ie First Take taking the place of SportsCenter) and the only narrative in college basketball anymore is the recruiting scandals and Duke Basketball.

You have the NBA no longer looking at it as their Minor League like the NFL does and doing everything possible to undermine it with by far the best most progressive commissioner in sports. You have a younger fan base that is just not as into sports. You have to coach at a school where your Boss is not really your boss as he reports to essentially a board of directors, some of which is made up of people who dislike your program. You have the NCAA earning all their money from the NCAA tournament so all they do is hype that it up all the time with the Road to March Madness so every teams success is dictated by that. Then you have by FAR, and not even close, the most inefficient mechanism for determining a champion in sports, either college or Pro, domestic or internationally.

Oh and don't forget we have by far the worst commissioner in College sports for our conference who just absolutely fucking sucks

So yes, it is frustrating Miller can not scheme against a Zone, but have some perspective. As stated before, I have no idea why any coach would subject themselves to coaching in College right now outside of the money. And I have zero clue why Miller has not said Fuck you NCAA and become an assistant in the NBA and work himself into a head coaching job there.

Not only has he not done that, he has Bear Down and worked his fucking ass off to bringing in really talented players next year when no one thought it was possible. Knowing full well those talented players could just leave after a year too and he has to start all over again.

So give the guy some slack. We get rid of him, the chances are much greater then 50% we get someone WAY worse then him.

I want to make a Final Four as badly as anyone (Mainly because I think a lot of fans on this board would travel to it and would be cool to meet everyone in person except Machina) but given the way Miller recruits even in light of all the crap that has happened to us, it would be beyond stupid to get rid of him anytime soon.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas. Glad to know I own so much space in your head daddy's boy
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Guys! Got my tickets to the Rado game next week. Going with my best bud from college, wife, and daughters. I really want to give my kids the best experience so any tips are welcome. My oldest (4yo) keeps saying she wants to see "the Arizona" which to her is the basketball court with the "big A".

How early should I show to get the kids a photo with Wilber and Wilma? Strategies for doing so? We are upper ring, but I figure get there early enough and we should be able to come down to the court to hunt them down, right? A picture of my kids with Wilbur and Wilma would just make my trip, win or lose.

Any other tips for a good day/time? We already have cheerleader outfits and other gear.

Dont know how early but probably an hour or so to be safe. Wilbur and Wilma will be walking around the arena and will stop for you.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas. Glad to know I own so much space in your head daddy's boy
ew.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Scum did my property tax for the space I own in your head go up this year?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

PHXCATS wrote:Scum did my property tax for the space I own in your head go up this year?
Why are you such a terrible person?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

ASUHATER! wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Scum did my property tax for the space I own in your head go up this year?
Why are you such a terrible person?
Where is the proof of the millions of Canadians in the country illegally?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Newportcat wrote:Sean Miller was delivered an absolute Shit Sandwich in the fall of 2017. One of his main recruiters was arrested by the FBI for taking money from Agents to direct players to them. Something if anyone thinks Miller knew about it, is so dumb it hurts me to think you could have graduated from the same university as me.

What Book did though taking extra cash from shady agents to push kids to them is something Miller had zero clue about and if he did, would have fired Book on the spot. Challenge was, really no way to know Book was doing that. Thats why Miller has not been fired from the U of A after they have spent over $1.7M in legal fees looking into the matter.

Well, you left out Pasternack so that's 2 dirty assistants that Miller had absolutely no friggin idea what the hell they were up to and how they managed to reel in top-5 classes like magic every year. Also he never noticed anything with Book having worked more than 10 years together. Also he had no idea who this guy Dawkins was and why he was at some (closed to the public) practices "like he was on the team". Also Miller inexplicably admits that *JUST ONCE* someone suggested to him to do something shady and he did not do it.

Sound suspicious to me
Newportcat wrote:Then after all this, Miller has to scramble to put a team on the court for this year. Literally field a team. Then does as good as he can but candidly the players are just not that good. It happens.
Every single player on the roster is a 4-star and there are two 5-stars
meanwhile asu is light years ahead with 4-stars and below

Miller either has the worst luck in the entire world or more likely he is a horrible developer of talent and an awful in-game coach whose whole team together is rarely if ever greater than the sum of its parts.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Then go root for the scum dooshbag. Pasternack listened bit didn't bite. Miller had no idea Book went Benedict Arnold. Yes, players got paid and all coaches know they did as that has been going on since AAU ball at least.

Hand in your UofA card and GTF out of here. If your goal is to be annoying then you have done a great job. If the scum win a pac title good for them, it only took 40 years.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

To those continuing to bash Miller, it's worth pointing out that he may actually go down as the best Pac coach of his era. Altman is giving chase, and he's gotten to the FF, so there's that. But if Miller remains our coach, as I expect him to, it's actually a little difficult to imagine another coach making a run at "best in the Pac of his era."

You can say what you want about the Pac being worse these days, and that may be true. But that's not Miller's fault. All he's done is win league/Pac tourney titles and reach multiple E8s. He hasn't yet broken through to that true upper tier of active coaches (K, Self, Roy, Izzo, Wright), but he's really just one E8 victory away from doing that.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:To those continuing to bash Miller, it's worth pointing out that he may actually go down as the best Pac coach of his era. Altman is giving chase, and he's gotten to the FF, so there's that. But if Miller remains our coach, as I expect him to, it's actually a little difficult to imagine another coach making a run at "best in the Pac of his era."

You can say what you want about the Pac being worse these days, and that may be true. But that's not Miller's fault. All he's done is win league/Pac tourney titles and reach multiple E8s. He hasn't yet broken through to that true upper tier of active coaches (K, Self, Roy, Izzo, Wright), but he's really just one E8 victory away from doing that.
Who besides Altman has been worth a damn in the conference the last ten years? Being the best of that crew is not a shining accomplishment. (note this is not an attack on Miller, just pointing out that this is not a good reason to keep him or praise him if it is undeserved)
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Newportcat wrote:Sean Miller was delivered an absolute Shit Sandwich in the fall of 2017. One of his main recruiters was arrested by the FBI for taking money from Agents to direct players to them. Something if anyone thinks Miller knew about it, is so dumb it hurts me to think you could have graduated from the same university as me.

What Book did though taking extra cash from shady agents to push kids to them is something Miller had zero clue about and if he did, would have fired Book on the spot. Challenge was, really no way to know Book was doing that. Thats why Miller has not been fired from the U of A after they have spent over $1.7M in legal fees looking into the matter.

Well, you left out Pasternack so that's 2 dirty assistants that Miller had absolutely no friggin idea what the hell they were up to and how they managed to reel in top-5 classes like magic every year. Also he never noticed anything with Book having worked more than 10 years together. Also he had no idea who this guy Dawkins was and why he was at some (closed to the public) practices "like he was on the team". Also Miller inexplicably admits that *JUST ONCE* someone suggested to him to do something shady and he did not do it.

Sound suspicious to me
Newportcat wrote:Then after all this, Miller has to scramble to put a team on the court for this year. Literally field a team. Then does as good as he can but candidly the players are just not that good. It happens.

This is just laughable. ASU finished with a losing record in the Pac 12 last year, was swept by Arizona. Arizona won the Pac 12 regular season AND tournament. ASU is a decent team in a very mediocre conference this season. It's not that they're playing great, it's just that the rest of the conference is bad.

Miller either has the worst luck in the entire world or more likely he is a horrible developer of talent and an awful in-game coach whose whole team together is rarely if ever greater than the sum of its parts.
I keep scanning through the NBA box scores and sure see a lot of Miller's undeveloped talent putting up impressive numbers. To what do you attribute that?

Overall, a par for the course post by Rise & Fire. Care to comment on the incoming recruiting class Miller has put together?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Why do people keep quoting Crash and Burn? I have her on ignore for a good reason.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:To those continuing to bash Miller, it's worth pointing out that he may actually go down as the best Pac coach of his era. Altman is giving chase, and he's gotten to the FF, so there's that. But if Miller remains our coach, as I expect him to, it's actually a little difficult to imagine another coach making a run at "best in the Pac of his era."

Who besides Altman has been worth a damn in the conference the last ten years? Being the best of that crew is not a shining accomplishment. (note this is not an attack on Miller, just pointing out that this is not a good reason to keep him or praise him if it is undeserved)

A few short years ago as Miller was arriving, consensus was that Arizona basketball had slipped to a level not seen since the mid 80s. Lorenzo Romar was hailed as taking over recruiting in the Pacific Northwest and UW was going to dominate along with UCLA. The guy is now coaching Pepperdine at the moment. Speaking of the Bruins, how's that turned out? Despite oodles of talent, Alford continues to underperform. Even when Alford had a superior roster of Lonzo Ball and TJ Leaf, Arizona still took 2 of 3 AND won the Pac 12 tourney. Dana Altman missed the NCAA tournament last year. No injuries. No unexpected early departures. Oregon was just mediocre. And they certainly don't look like anything special this year. But the Miller detractors were certain Altman had passed Miller.

And what about Utah and Colorado? Weren't they on the cusp of becoming Arizona's biggest rival? In their fans' eyes, certainly so. CU is still celebrating their 2012 Conference Tourney Title. What the hell has Tad Boyle done other that have his ass handed to him by Miller year after year? When was the last time CU finished ahead of Arizona in the conference? Utah hit their high water mark three years ago. Again, Krystowiak was hailed as the next big thing in the Pac 12. Once again, the best Utah has done is split with Arizona in the regular season but finish behind the 'Cats in the conference standings every single time. Care to continue? Miller beat Johnny Dawkins so bad and so often, the former protege of Coach K finished his career winless against Arizona. What the hell has Stanford done in the last ten seasons?

But what about Andy Enfield. He was gonna set the Pac 12 on fire after his Sweet 16 run at Florida Gulf Coast. What's his head to head record against Miller? How many times has USC finished ahead of Arizona in the Pac 12?

The fact is, Miller and Arizona have been incredible. So now Bobby Hurley, who still hasn't beaten Miller, is the next "it" coach. ASU might very well beat Arizona this season and probably storm the court. Another high water mark for ASU. And then the planets will re-align themselves next year after Miller re-fills the recruiting cupboard and Arizona will be back on top.

How many years did Mark Few go winning the shitty WCC and bowing out by the Sweet 16?

Miller deserves a ton of credit and a ton of slack for what he's accomplished at Arizona. If this is our low water mark every 8-10 years, so be it. And right now, that's exactly what it looks like.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:Guys! Got my tickets to the Rado game next week. Going with my best bud from college, wife, and daughters. I really want to give my kids the best experience so any tips are welcome. My oldest (4yo) keeps saying she wants to see "the Arizona" which to her is the basketball court with the "big A".

$50 to guarantee that Wilbur and Wilma will come to your seats and take a picture with you all

https://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommer ... =BK11&cgc=" target="_blank
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Whoa that’s cool! Thanks!
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

zonagrad wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

Sound suspicious to me

This is just laughable. ASU finished with a losing record in the Pac 12 last year, was swept by Arizona. Arizona won the Pac 12 regular season AND tournament. ASU is a decent team in a very mediocre conference this season. It's not that they're playing great, it's just that the rest of the conference is bad.

I keep scanning through the NBA box scores and sure see a lot of Miller's undeveloped talent putting up impressive numbers. To what do you attribute that?

Overall, a par for the course post by Rise & Fire. Care to comment on the incoming recruiting class Miller has put together?
Fact-based, objective and free of any Miller-fanboy hot air - always!

asu hasn't played a single P12 game so Im not sure what being in the P12 has to do with how their NET rating is 30 and ours is 65. By any objective measure they are light years ahead of us, having beaten #1 ku. Our two games against ranked opponents we got smoked by 15-20

Recruiting class looks AWESOME and I could not be any less hyped.
Just for a second lets all pretend the recruits actually enroll at UA next year and Book's April trial is totally bombshell-free and no NCAA penalties are handed down. Phew! As usual the whole of the team under Miller will once again be worth less than the sum of the parts as is the case every year. They'll underachieve as usual and maybe get to the S16. IF they end up here.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I doubt Book ever makes it to trial. Not sure if you noticed but the USC asst took a plea deal and will get a years probation.

My guess is the fact the fees told the NCAA to do its thing that there was not much else to come out. Book, if smart, will try and fet a similar plea deal unless he thinks he did nothing wrong and he can make that argument work
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RiseAndFire wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

Sound suspicious to me

asu hasn't played a single P12 game so Im not sure what being in the P12 has to do with how their NET rating is 30 and ours is 65. By any objective measure they are light years ahead of us, having beaten #1 ku. Our two games against ranked opponents we got smoked by 15-20

Just for a second lets all pretend the recruits actually enroll at UA next year and Book's April trial is totally bombshell-free and no NCAA penalties are handed down. Phew! As usual the whole of the team under Miller will once again be worth less than the sum of the parts as is the case every year. They'll underachieve as usual and maybe get to the S16. IF they end up here.
You never cite any facts -- just your weak opinion. ASU won a few impressive OOC games last year and did a face plant in a conference you continue to rate as weak. So what does that say about ASU? So ASU at home beat a KU team that was not at full strength. Great. This will be the first time in more than a decade that ASU will possibly finish ahead of Arizona and have a better year. Your arguments never have any basis in fact. You hate Miller. We get it. The fact is (and yes, it is a FACT), Miller is without question the most successful coach in the Pac 12 since his arrival. And it's not even close. And if he had won just one of those 3 Elite Eight games, you'd be bitching because he didn't win two. Or three. Or won an NCAA title. I have no doubt that if you were an Arizona fan (of which I'm skeptical) in the late 80's or 90's, you were also critical of Lute for not doing more. Nobody cares about your opinion. I suppose it's probably a thrill for you to get responses to your asinine takes.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

RiseAndFire wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

Sound suspicious to me

So true, and when the world collapses and our program dies due to Sean Miller you will be able to stand there in your Mom's basement (Maybe the ceilings are too low to stand so you crouch) and scream "I was right!!!" I was smarter then a bunch of people on the internet!!! Look at me world!!!!!! I knew more then some random guy from Newport Beach who I will never meet. I saw it all coming. Miller sucks. We just lost in the Sweet 16 or even better we just were given the death penalty. I am so right!!!! Look how smart I was on something that provides me no income, no shelter, and is simply a form of entertainment. I am the greatest of all time.

Maybe enjoy the ride a little more Cogent
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

Sound suspicious to me

You never cite any facts -- just your weak opinion. ASU won a few impressive OOC games last year and did a face plant in a conference you continue to rate as weak. So what does that say about ASU? So ASU at home beat a KU team that was not at full strength. Great. This will be the first time in more than a decade that ASU will possibly finish ahead of Arizona and have a better year. Your arguments never have any basis in fact. You hate Miller. We get it. The fact is (and yes, it is a FACT), Miller is without question the most successful coach in the Pac 12 since his arrival. And it's not even close. And if he had won just one of those 3 Elite Eight games, you'd be bitching because he didn't win two. Or three. Or won an NCAA title. I have no doubt that if you were an Arizona fan (of which I'm skeptical) in the late 80's or 90's, you were also critical of Lute for not doing more. Nobody cares about your opinion. I suppose it's probably a thrill for you to get responses to your asinine takes.
I am taking the wait and see stance on Miller and next year's class. You are bragging about it but what has Miller done with these great classes? Win a down PAC12 half the time? You did go on and on about how the PAC12 was down and gave great insight into my claim of such in a few earlier posts. Zero final fours. If you take away the years when Miller did not have a full chance to recruit (first two) and this last one as it got railroaded by Mark Schlabach and Book not being fired earlier when the warning signs were out, Miller average class is 5th in the nation. Including 4 top 4 classes. We hang final four banners not recruiting banners.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Someone check IP addresses of Rise and Fire and Machina
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

scumdevils86 wrote:Someone check IP addresses of Rise and Fire and Machina
Hey you never answered my question about how much the property tax for how much space I own in your head went up this year. You probably think about and worry about me more than anyone in your family.

My posts today

Ira Lee house arrest-Scum responded one minute later and addressed none of the points I made
Dow Jones-Scum responded one minute later and addressed none of the points I made
2018-2019 Arizona Basketball-Scum responded seven minutes later and addressed none of the points I made
prh

Post by prh »

scumdevils86 wrote:Someone check IP addresses of Rise and Fire and Machina
I've actually thought this for a couple years too
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I think it's RockyRaccoon. Remember him?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote: I am taking the wait and see stance on Miller and next year's class. You are bragging about it but what has Miller done with these great classes? Win a down PAC12 half the time? You did go on and on about how the PAC12 was down and gave great insight into my claim of such in a few earlier posts. Zero final fours. If you take away the years when Miller did not have a full chance to recruit (first two) and this last one as it got railroaded by Mark Schlabach and Book not being fired earlier when the warning signs were out, Miller average class is 5th in the nation. Including 4 top 4 classes. We hang final four banners not recruiting banners.
You act as though winning the conference is no big deal. It is a big deal. A big fucking deal to win a conference with 12 teams. Every year, Arizona has a target on their backs and takes the best shot in front of the best crowd of the year from 11 other teams.

The problem is that the ultimate goal of the average fan is a Final Four. That's it. Watching the players go on to successful pro careers is a nice supplement to appreciate their time in an Arizona uniform. But for the recruits Miller brings in, the ultimate goal is a professional contract, preferably a guaranteed NBA contract. If they can get a Final Four in that 1-2 year process, great. But the ultimate goal is to develop into a professional.

Despite all the great players Miller has had, he hasn't had them very long. It's not as though Miller had the services of Lauri Markannen, Stanley Johnson, D'Andre Ayton for 3-4 years each and failed to deliver. And young, inexperienced but extremely talented players tend to have peaks and valleys. So it's not surprising they may struggle for one game during the NCAA tournament. And that one game has usually been the game where Arizona gets knocked out.

Throw in a lack of a point guard the last three seasons as the other criticism. Other than that, Arizona is lucky as hell to have Sean Miller. Unless the recruiting class unravels from the FBI case, Arizona is poised to be back on top in the Pac and in the hunt for a Final Four next season. And that's a fun place to be.