Dear AZ Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

catgrad97

Re: Dear AZ Basketball

Post by catgrad97 »

I want to post more, but for now all I can do is mirror POM's OP.

Sure, you grow up and grow a distance from the AD. You don't allow the losses to hurt as much.

But, my God, I still gave my mind, body and spirit to this AD in the great years. Now 1993-97 might as well be as far away as Camelot.

My dad got two degrees from the U in the '60s and played trumpet in Bear Down under Jack K. Lee, for crying out loud! He and Mom met at Louie's Lower Level in '62.

All I can sit here and recount is how many cherished memories I have embedded in my involvement with University of Arizona athletics. I wore a lanyard literally every working day, I repped with the shirts, caps or colors every day before that...since I was 7.

Bad enough all the gut punches I have to ride out for wanting to follow in dad's footsteps and stay a teacher in Arizona. But when some pencil-pusher comes along and just arbitrarily decides to blow up the heart of the AD, the standard bearer for pride and success in the school?

I won't lie to you guys. It's devastating. I've taken so much sh*t from so many small people over the decades who hang around like worms, yet are always silent when Arizona wins like no one has before.

If this truly is the end of the age of greatness in this university's athletics, the destruction of all my yesterdays spent helping, in some small, modest ways I could, build the legacy of Bear Down into a respected rep of this state nationally, then...

....I cannot help but feel lost. Jerry Kindall, the greatest baseball coach I have ever known, is dead. Tomey is heading out that door. Lute, the God on his mountaintop, cannot put back everything to what it was and just make it all better.

I've just...this school is in my heart and so much a part of me. After last night's disappointment, though, what is there left to fight for anymore, save memories?

I just need to leave. Just go as far away from everything associated with this school. Where I never have to talk about it anymore. Never have to try and explain what happened. Just go be someone else than a pure, incorruptible Wildcat fan.

Because what's left to move forward on after this? The notion that being an Arizona fan meant something, that it built a tradition people respected, understood and guarded carefully, flew out the window last night.

And I can't keep sacrificing my fan passion on the altar of cruel reality, in which responsible people are no longer that. It's a virtue that no longer carries any reward.

Sure, I have a wife and kids. I don't think they understand what U of A means to me. Maybe they never will, completely.

Hell, maybe I won't. I was moving so fast between McKale, Sancet and J school that final furious run in the spring semester of '97 that I sometimes can't even recognize myself, looking back.

You would think enough of us would want those days back that we would revolt and bolt from the travesty occurring now. One would hope. But it seems that scrambling to protect people's jobs is all that seems to happen in any college AD anymore, I don't know.

I do know this: Many factors brought us to this point. But it is the university president and athletic director who are ultimately culpable. They talk responsibly, but they killed the spirit of Bear Down trying to avoid personal liability and lawsuits.

I don't know if it was just they or the whole lousy NCAA system who created them. Either way, they are the cancer in college athletics--one that only makes the rich richer and works against the underdog. I am through with them and their type.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

AZ basketball was the first love of my life. 12 years old moved to Tempe and went to a Red/Blue game that they held at Brophy. No joke, that's where the Red/Blue was.

My mom still has the paper pamphlet somewhere in her house that has Kerr and Elliot's signatures that I got when I met them. It also has Wilbur's signature which I think I might have been more excited about at the time.

Long time ago...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

TucsonClip wrote:
phenom5 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote: Exactly how I feel. And I say this as someone born in Tucson, into a family who has had season tickets my entire life. Someone whos passion was built from going to EVERY UA home game throughout my childhood with my mother. Someone who took said seed that was planted, basically at birth and watered it throughout my life.

I just cant take the heartbreak anymore right now. As fucking sad as this all makes me, and I have no idea if I should be more upset at Miller or Heeke, or hell, myself. I just need a break and it all stems back to corrupt college athletics.

Thankfully, my thirst is undeniable for NBA basketball, and like you, am so fucking glad professional sports can at least act with some adult-level integrity, admit there were things that were illegal, punish them in a meaningful way, and MOVE ON.
Well dammit TC, tell me the Lakers are going to make some moves before the deadline. I need so good sports news dammit.
Not the move you want. Honestly, they could offload the back of their bench and sign guys like Wayne Ellington, Wes Matthews, Robin Lopez, enes Kanter (bleh), possibly DeAndre Jordan (unlike he is bought out), and be in much better shape than they are now, even without AD.
So no Bron for AD straightup trade?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I took my daughters to the rado game this year and got them little stuffed animals of Wilbur and Wilma.

It’s their favorite doll toy to the day. The play “house”

Typing this just broke my heart in the contrxt of what is going on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lakers are a perfect example of why I don't like pro sports.

Why even have a head coach when the patients run the asylum?

Like Larry Brown said, the biggest difference between college and the NBA is that in college the players still listen to you.

Although I can certainly see why Luke and Steve Kerr have no interest in coaching college with all the recruiting and the rules.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:AZ basketball was the first love of my life. 12 years old moved to Tempe and went to a Red/Blue game that they held at Brophy. No joke, that's where the Red/Blue was.

My mom still has the paper pamphlet somewhere in her house that has Kerr and Elliot's signatures that I got when I met them. It also has Wilbur's signature which I think I might have been more excited about at the time.

Long time ago...
It was actually at Brophy in '88 and '89 too. I was there in '88. They absolutely mobbed Sean Elliott. Never seen such craziness.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I think most of the posters here need to step back from the cliff.

At the moment Sean Miller is still the basketball coach and the NCAA has not sanctioned us (yet).

You might want to wait until something actually happens before you commit ritual Seppuku! :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dmjcat wrote:I think most of the posters here need to step back from the cliff.

At the moment Sean Miller is still the basketball coach and the NCAA has not sanctioned us (yet).

You might want to wait until something actually happens before you commit ritual Seppuku! :lol:
Why? We’re just taking the lead of our AD.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'll tell you right now, there is a 0% chance I watch tonight. Between all of it and my certainty about how ESPN's announcing crew will handle it...

I used to take personal days from work for tourney games during the day.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I took my daughters to the rado game this year and got them little stuffed animals of Wilbur and Wilma.

It’s their favorite doll toy to the day. The play “house”

Typing this just broke my heart in the contrxt of what is going on.
Whenever my 3 year old plays with Legos or Play Doh or literally anything with color he specifically picks out the red and blue ones, plays with them, and says these are my Bear Down (legos, play doh, toys). Breaks my fucking heart too man. I want to tear all my U of A gear off the wall in my man cave. I don't know what to do.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Was just going to post something to this effect.

It's going to be hilarious if all of this blows over somehow, and we're full speed ahead with Miller at the helm and the '19 class in tact.

#wishfulthinking
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:

It's going to be hilarious if all of this blows over somehow, and we're full speed ahead with Miller at the helm and the '19 class in tact.

#wishfulthinking
If this blows over completely, I will literally strip naked and run around the court at next year's Red/Blue game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

#wishfulthinking
If this blows over completely, I will literally strip naked and run around the court at next year's Red/Blue game.
Sounds like a plan. Maybe we can organize the first annual message board streaking event in honor of the 2019-20 season...IF it all blows over.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

#wishfulthinking
Saved in the rare event that this does happen! Lol
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I was a diehard sports nut most of my life but slowly grew out of it as my priorities have shifted to my family. Arizona basketball is the only exception. Disaster here would be the nail in the coffin for sure.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If this blows over completely, I will literally strip naked and run around the court at next year's Red/Blue game.
Better hope they don't have the AC on full blast.

Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:Lakers are a perfect example of why I don't like pro sports.

Why even have a head coach when the patients run the asylum?

Like Larry Brown said, the biggest difference between college and the NBA is that in college the players still listen to you.

Although I can certainly see why Luke and Steve Kerr have no interest in coaching college with all the recruiting and the rules.
I take a totally different view. Fuck coaches.

I love how much power Lebron has or NBA players have and how little coaches have. To me, its capitalism at its finest. To get guys to listen, you have to be an awesome coach like Pop or Kerr or Phil Jackson. Guys are not just going to listen to you because they have to.

Keep in mind, I am also the guy who never won a coaches award and owns his own business. I fucking hate bosses and pretty sure all got sick of me questioning their authority and how they were doing their jobs.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TucsonClip wrote:
phenom5 wrote:
TucsonClip wrote: Exactly how I feel. And I say this as someone born in Tucson, into a family who has had season tickets my entire life. Someone whos passion was built from going to EVERY UA home game throughout my childhood with my mother. Someone who took said seed that was planted, basically at birth and watered it throughout my life.

I just cant take the heartbreak anymore right now. As fucking sad as this all makes me, and I have no idea if I should be more upset at Miller or Heeke, or hell, myself. I just need a break and it all stems back to corrupt college athletics.

Thankfully, my thirst is undeniable for NBA basketball, and like you, am so fucking glad professional sports can at least act with some adult-level integrity, admit there were things that were illegal, punish them in a meaningful way, and MOVE ON.
Well dammit TC, tell me the Lakers are going to make some moves before the deadline. I need so good sports news dammit.
Not the move you want. Honestly, they could offload the back of their bench and sign guys like Wayne Ellington, Wes Matthews, Robin Lopez, enes Kanter (bleh), possibly DeAndre Jordan (unlike he is bought out), and be in much better shape than they are now, even without AD.
Like I said...
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If this blows over completely, I will literally strip naked and run around the court at next year's Red/Blue game.
Better hope they don't have the AC on full blast.

My bigger problem is between skin tone and body hair I'm pretty sure my butt cheeks look like uncooked chicken breasts that got dragged over a shedding dog.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

#wishfulthinking
Something something is a witch....

"Blow over" is maybe too much. But I don't think Miller, or our money base, are going to go down without a fight for that last run.

If we are going down, we might as well go down swinging. Not throwing in the towel. The sucker punch of the last 24 hours will wear off and there will be reaction behind the scenes.

We'll see...but I am not jumping off the cliff just yet. I have identified a cliff, arranged for transport, and put my affairs in order. But I am not jumping just yet...
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Decided to take a 24 hour break from here and I come back to this. Geeze should have stayed away. Good thing I didn't see this last night, had high amounts of alcohol in me.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

TucsonClip wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
phenom5 wrote:

Like I said...
Great calls
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

God I am getting so much quality work done today...

Its funny I remember these days so much. I remember 2001. I remember 2003. I remember 2005, fuck I do. I vividly remember the day Lute retired or quit...the first time and the second. I remember the day/night Sean Miller turned us down. I remember the weekend when Sean was going to Maryland. I remember 2014 and 2015. I remember 2017 when we found out about Book, I remember the day seeing the ESPN article about Ayton. I remember March 1st watching the Miller press conference in a car driving to a meeting with the city of Aliso Viejo. I remember the game that night.

Whats funny is outside of 2001, I had no where to turn too. All those days I was on goazcats or here during those times. Checking, re checking, posting,

Funny world but I don't fondly remember these days

Only day since 2003 I fondly remember is the Duke game in 2011. That was so amazing. Is that weird?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Newportcat wrote:Only day since 2003 I fondly remember is the Duke game in 2011. That was so amazing. Is that weird?
This in 2003, but probably the most exciting Arizona basketball game I have ever seen.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/bo ... izona.html" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I was there and it was awesome but yeah meant everything after this year
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:God I am getting so much quality work done today...

Its funny I remember these days so much. I remember 2001. I remember 2003. I remember 2005, fuck I do. I vividly remember the day Lute retired or quit...the first time and the second. I remember the day/night Sean Miller turned us down. I remember the weekend when Sean was going to Maryland. I remember 2014 and 2015. I remember 2017 when we found out about Book, I remember the day seeing the ESPN article about Ayton. I remember March 1st watching the Miller press conference in a car driving to a meeting with the city of Aliso Viejo. I remember the game that night.

Whats funny is outside of 2001, I had no where to turn too. All those days I was on goazcats or here during those times. Checking, re checking, posting,

Only day since 2003 I fondly remember is the Duke game in 2011. That was so amazing. Is that weird?
Sort of, yeah. Short list of days I fondly remember:

Coming back vs Texas in 2011 right before Duke.
Whipping Duke in the Garden in 13-14.
The crazy comeback vs Florida in McKale, 2012-13.
Blowing Zaga off the floor in the tourney in 13-14.
Beating UCLA at Pauley with Trier back in 16-17.
Salim's game winners vs UCLA and OSU in 04-05.
Getting in the tourney over ASU in 08-09.
Miller calling timeout vs UCLA in the conference tourney.
TJ's last home game, specifically kissing the A.
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

The Duke game is my favorite of the Sean Miller era, by far. Next would be against Washington at home when Derek Williams swatted the ball 20 rows deep with 0.2 seconds left to preserve a 1 point win.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
phenom5 wrote:Interesting post. I love sports in general too much to walk away.

But watching this season with my 2 month old son on my lap has really helped keep my anger level waaaayyyyy down. I just don't get too worked up over things like I used to.
Same with me. My kid was born on November 30th, when was yours born?
Savor every second of it, gentlemen. I even miss the eyes 3/4 closed at 2am exhausting every one of your daddy tricks to try to rock them back to sleep moments.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Sort of, yeah. Short list of days I fondly remember:

Coming back vs Texas in 2011 right before Duke.
Whipping Duke in the Garden in 13-14.
The crazy comeback vs Florida in McKale, 2012-13.
Blowing Zaga off the floor in the tourney in 13-14.
Beating UCLA at Pauley with Trier back in 16-17.
Salim's game winners vs UCLA and OSU in 04-05.
Getting in the tourney over ASU in 08-09.
Miller calling timeout vs UCLA in the conference tourney.
TJ's last home game, specifically kissing the A.
You are right, all good games/days Sadly only one in the tourney was that Texas game before Duke. Zags too but barely remember that game. I more remember them beating us past couple of years
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Too early to put together a list of greatest moments/games of this era and run a poll? Probably good therapy for many of us before we take our extended breaks from the board.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Too early to put together a list of greatest moments/games of this era and run a poll? Probably good therapy for many of us before we take our extended breaks from the board.
I just saw your avator of Nick Johnson and kind of teared up....sorry lots of dust here in Newport right now, its just dusty
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

One of my all-time favorites. An old coworker of mine ran into him at a restaurant weeks back and got a pic w him. Was super jealous :lol:
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

I'm an alum and go to games, and the overall depression of it all has sunk in on me too. It's gotten to the point where I'm somewhat disenchanted with Miller's offensive schemes regardless of scandal. We're nearly unbearable to watch. I get how our team has been hollowed out this year by ESPN. But we literally NEVER do anything different from game to game, we play the same crappy stodgy defense, never mix in a zone when literally nobody in college basketball can shoot reliably since nobody has good seniors or juniors left on their team anymore, we don't press, don't try and run in transition, we do nothing different. It's groundhog day game after game. I miss how under Lute our defense always jumped passing lanes, played with more risk and gave up a backdoor cut from time to time. Our defense created offense like fast break opportunities and was a much more fun style of play to watch.

But with this new assistant coach scandal, it's just the constant waiting for the next shoe to drop. Waiting and wondering what if any sanctions we'll get. Wondering what Miller does or doesn't know or did. We give our somewhat increasingly hollow defenses of him, how long as fans do we have to take this? I like Miller as a person, and I'll always be loyal to Cats and follow them. But maybe not watch every game in my quiet boycott at this point until this dread lifts, but the University of Arizona has WAY more going for it than this crap we've been subjected to over the past few years. And btw at McKale last night, for a big game vs undefeated Washington, you could tell there were lots of empty seats in the rich premium sections, people boycotting. Seats were empty you never see empty. Probably why some of you got some calls today.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Really good post Catsby.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:I'm an alum and go to games, and the overall depression of it all has sunk in on me too....

And btw at McKale last night, for a big game vs undefeated Washington, you could tell there were lots of empty seats in the rich premium sections, people boycotting. Seats were empty you never see empty. Probably why some of you got some calls today.
I go to the games too and the overall depression in McKale took it's toll on me. My row all season hasn't even been 1/4 full most games - the four seats to my left have been empty all but one or two games, and there are typically two to four empty seats to the right of ours every game. Many of the familiar faces over the years (presumably) did not renew their season tickets or are not showing regularly. People just seem disengaged, down, unexcited. Yes, the talent is way down and the basketball can be downright ugly, but there is obviously more.

I havent been able to attend three of the last four home games, so I decided to throw the Washington tickets on stubhub and got $8 a ticket and there were plenty close to that amount still left. And my seats are as good as youre gonna get in the non-priority upper level.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

rgdeuce wrote:
TheGreatCatsby wrote:I'm an alum and go to games, and the overall depression of it all has sunk in on me too....

And btw at McKale last night, for a big game vs undefeated Washington, you could tell there were lots of empty seats in the rich premium sections, people boycotting. Seats were empty you never see empty. Probably why some of you got some calls today.
I go to the games too and the overall depression in McKale took it's toll on me. My row all season hasn't even been 1/4 full most games - the four seats to my left have been empty all but one or two games, and there are typically two to four empty seats to the right of ours every game. Many of the familiar faces over the years (presumably) did not renew their season tickets or are not showing regularly. People just seem disengaged, down, unexcited. Yes, the talent is way down and the basketball can be downright ugly, but there is obviously more.

I havent been able to attend three of the last four home games, so I decided to throw the Washington tickets on stubhub and got $8 a ticket and there were plenty close to that amount still left. And my seats are as good as youre gonna get in the non-priority upper level.
$8 a ticket...fuck tucson is so cheap i miss it

i thing something is wrong with all of college basketball. It feels like it gets zero love anymore outside of these scandal stories except come tourney time.

hearing mckale not selling out depresses me the most as that revenue maintains our program
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Newportcat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

$8 a ticket...fuck tucson is so cheap i miss it

i thing something is wrong with all of college basketball. It feels like it gets zero love anymore outside of these scandal stories except come tourney time.

hearing mckale not selling out depresses me the most as that revenue maintains our program
It is depressing to see. And to be honest It could be a long time before McKale sells out again unless a really good team comes in. Before Lute Olson took over there were literally cob webs on some of the seats at McKale. Looks like history is going to repeat itself at this point barring a monumental resurgence. Couple the state of the basketball program with another sub par football season and revenues will potentially sink to an all time low. Just a total dumpster fire.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

A lot depends on if Miller survives the NCAA investigation. It is amazing how he rebounded from last year from a recruiting perspective -- AZ essentially loses an entire class, and follows it up with the number one class (until Duke or Kentucky wins out during the late signing period). But what happens if Miller has to step down? It is all about the next hire. Look what Louisville did -- they were facing a much more severe scenario, but got Mack (and Mack knew there would be some potentially lean years). AZ is still a major basketball brand nationally, a top ten to top fifteen program. It will still be an attractive job even if there is a year probation and some lost scholarships. But again, it will be all about the hire. There will not be a lateral move by a coach from another major program. I saw some people mention Tony Bennett -- there is no way a guy like that leaves VA to rebuild AZ. It will have to be a situation where a guy like Rick Barnes is available (I still think it is baffling that TX canned him to bring in an inferior coach). Time will tell, but none of what is happening is surprising. Everyone knew the NCAA investigation was around the corner, and the NCAA is going to be looking to make an example out of someone from this FBI debacle, and you can be sure it won't be Kansas (just like the NCAA was never going to take down North Carolina).

All that being said, it has been a rough couple of years of AZ basketball. It is tough to watch.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I’m trying really hard to care about this awful loss today

I didn’t watch it just saw the score

What’s really sad is I really don’t care. Like don’t care at all.

I can still remember losing to WSU at home in 2007 on the same day I found out I got into the grad school I was dreaming of getting into. I was so pissed my girlfriend could not understand why as we went out to celebrate. I said because we lost to WSU at fucking home

Today, I am honesty still fired up as my daughter change into her own clothes, with socks and shoes, without our help for the first time.

I don’t advocate for Miller to be fired but to me this is a major problem for Arizona basketball ...indifference as I know I am not alone.

I’m honestly upset I am not upset if that makes sense. It’s so weird to check an Arizona basketball school and shrug knowing we lost to WSU at home
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yep, I don't care. I forgot about it and just saw the score. Swept at home. Sad, oh well.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I still care, not that it matters. I criticize it but I covet this program. As long as the fundamental structure of AZ BB is still intact then the suck of this year is just that: a year of SUCK. If we lose Miller and the admin disables the future potential of our history, our devotion, and our ability to recruit then there is serious grounds for despair, but until that happens all it is is that we're getting our lips ripped off, our fucking faces glazed in a series of bar fights. The good news is we're going to get more abject beatdowns this year and as fans it'll teach us what it's like to be the other guy. FUCK THE OTHER GUY. IT'S OUR TURN IN THE BARREL. I'm not an alum and I don't have the long history most of you have, but this is big boy basketball and you have to be able to take a punch and not shit yourself. Otherwise you might as well beg for your fucking beer on Blue Apron and drink it at home fisting your mister.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law