let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RawleArenas

Re: let's talk '19

Post by RawleArenas »

On a much brighter note considering our recent woes on the court, I am thoroughly impressed with Terry Armstrong. Before he committed, every time I looked at his tapes I just sat there dumbfounded. There's was no way a guy like should be ranked 60th in his class.

I haven't been excited about a player like that since Alkins came to Tucson. Which is a bit of a sour note for me, because I feel that if he, Kobi and Chance had stayed we would have had our FF, or at least a really good shot to make it there.

Terry Armstrong reminds me a little of Iggy, but is much more talented offensively. I think he might the most polished scorer that Miller has ever had. He also plays great defense. If he stays here three years, he has the potential to be one of the all-time Wildcats.

In my opinion, he's a top 20 guy, possibly top 10.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our '19 class is potentially Miller's best ever. That's saying a lot.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Wow. Sean knows he’s losing some of these guys on the current roster.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Wow. Sean knows he’s losing some of these guys on the current roster.
Or at least he wants a few of those guys to know they’re leaving.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Wow. Sean knows he’s losing some of these guys on the current roster.
*Finger to nose*
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

*Foot to buttocks*
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he'll be unemployed this off season.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he'll be unemployed this off season.
Sure doesn’t.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who are the 13 now on paper?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
*Finger to nose*
Randolph hasn't exactly inspired me to want him back. Based on what people think around here, that would be my one gone.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:Who are the 13 now on paper?
Williams
Barcello
Doutrive
Randolph
Lee
Jeter
Smith
Gettings
Mannion
Green
Armstrong
Nnaji
Koloko
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Randolph and Smith make the most sense.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Need Jeter to stay next year. Arizona will need a rim protector and someone inside to keep opposing defenses honest as we bring in an incredible backcourt of Mannion, Green, and Armstrong. Jeter or any UA bigs will get a lot of easy buckets because of our backcourt.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I feel like barcello might be gone, though I like him, he has tenacity and if he could translate his shooting from practice to game time could be like York, and also back up at point. But that's just a feeling, not even as strong as the feeling of share of the PAC regular season and play in the title game, which was not close. Maybe, it might still be possible.

But, I do owe someone a signature I believe.
Nothing offensive, no swears, self deprecating humor allowed, I have a veto.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I feel like barcello might be gone, though I like him, he has tenacity and if he could translate his shooting from practice to game time could be like York, and also back up at point. But that's just a feeling, not even as strong as the feeling of share of the PAC regular season and play in the title game, which was not close. Maybe, it might still be possible.

If the transfer decisions were being made today Barcello would not be one of them.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I feel like barcello might be gone, though I like him, he has tenacity and if he could translate his shooting from practice to game time could be like York, and also back up at point. But that's just a feeling, not even as strong as the feeling of share of the PAC regular season and play in the title game, which was not close. Maybe, it might still be possible.

If the transfer decisions were being made today Barcello would not be one of them.
Goodbye Randolph and Smith...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm less certain about Smith. He actually has more of a role on next year's team than Randolph, even though Randolph is easily more talented.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm less certain about Smith. He actually has more of a role on next year's team than Randolph, even though Randolph is easily more talented.
I would like to see Smith stick around too as long as he agrees to improve his shot selection and learn to stay within his role.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just really want to see Lee, B Williams and Jeter back.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Not saying Smith has a big role on next years team... but he is shooting 45% from 3 in Pac12 play (unfortunately he is shooting 33% inside the arc!)

And to show how much Williams might help this team... he has as many 3's in Pac12 play as Coleman on 7 less shots and has scored 2 more points total (110 -108). He also has more made 3's (14-13) than Randolph on 19 less shots!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:Not saying Smith has a big role on next years team... but he is shooting 45% from 3 in Pac12 play (unfortunately he is shooting 33% inside the arc!)

And to show how much Williams might help this team... he has as many 3's in Pac12 play as Coleman on 7 less shots and has scored 2 more points total (110 -108). He also has more made 3's (14-13) than Randolph on 19 less shots!
I'd like to see Smith return to take 3's, play D and rebound. He doesn't need to do much more to be a solid role player, and we could use a solid role player on the wing.

Williams was really getting to a solid, efficient place before the knee. Losing Jeter, then him, it really was a loss of our two best players right in a row.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't have much hope for Williams. Congenital knee problem in high school, and now this. Just see Ray Smith all over again unless Williams goes through another surgery again.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... ets-offers" target="_blank

Williams was experiencing pain in his right knee in the fall of 2016, which turned out to be osteochondritis dissecans, a joint condition in which bone underneath the cartilage of a joint dies due to lack of blood flow. He was forced to have season-ending surgery in January of 2017, which took away his junior season. More than 10 months of recovery and rehab generated frustration and, at times, self doubt.

baycat93 wrote:unfortunately he is shooting 33% inside the arc!!
Smith driving to the basket is pretty much a guaranteed blocked shot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ray Smith was fundamentally different from Williams. Smith blew different ACL's, and was prone to that. Williams has an underlying chronic condition.

Williams won't suffer actue injury like Smith. How much the bloodflow issue may return...well, that's a faith based solution.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I would guess he is the least likely of the three or four people look at leaving. He knows his role, accepts it, and is not driven by delusions of grandeur.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Good, I hope he stays.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Little birdie told me to keep an eye on this kid.

https://247sports.com/Player/David-Skogman-46058779/" target="_blank
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Little birdie told me to keep an eye on this kid.

Looks like he's got good hands.

goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Wouldn't mind him at all. Seems more like a developmental piece though, would doubt he would play any sort of role next year. Kinda similar to us kicking the tires on Parker Braun last year? Although this kid seems like a better prospect than him. I like late-rising guys like this a lot. I would guess we would want to pair bringing him in (if we do go after him) with one grad transfer that can actually play some minutes next year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:

Wouldn't mind him at all. Seems more like a developmental piece though, would doubt he would play any sort of role next year. Kinda similar to us kicking the tires on Parker Braun last year? Although this kid seems like a better prospect than him. I like late-rising guys like this a lot. I would guess we would want to pair bringing him in (if we do go after him) with one grad transfer that can actually play some minutes next year.
Heard he's more advanced than that. Kid literally almost died from cardiac arrest on the court, had to sit out quite a bit, got cleared to play, gained 40lbs, and now he's got bigger schools on him after his play this year. I don't know if he gets an offer, but definitely someone to look out for.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

Heard he's more advanced than that. Kid literally almost died from cardiac arrest on the court, had to sit out quite a bit, got cleared to play, gained 40lbs, and now he's got bigger schools on him after his play this year. I don't know if he gets an offer, but definitely someone to look out for.
Yeah, definitely seems at a much higher level than Braun was based on the colleges interested in him. Seems like a large portion of the Big Ten is sniffing around as well. Gotta think he may be tough to pull if he's from WI and if a lot of the larger Big Ten programs start to pursue him more aggressively.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:

I wouldn't hate having him and Koloko as developmental big guys. Those developmental players don't always pay off, so it doesn't hurt to have a few options. If we have Jeter, Lee, Nnaji and Gettings next year, that rotation is pretty full without Koloko or this kid being ready.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This thread got bullish again.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Think we’re seeing this year how much trouble you can get into not having enough size on your bench. USC and UCLA basically just ran layup drills against us. Luther and Lee aren’t big enough to clog a lane and effectively defend the paint. Jeter is, but he’s missed games. I’m all for adding a couple 6’10 projects (a la Kirk Walters). Teach them to defend and board.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:This thread got bullish again.
Fanatics are gonna fanatic.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Longhorned wrote:This thread got bullish again.
Wouldn't say it's bullish, more just we think as of now Miller is most likely here next year, so we're not expecting the 2019 class to fall apart as of now. And also, this guy we're talking about is currently unranked so not like we're talking about a big time recruit here, just a late-rising, developmental type prospect.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

With our issues, I just love Doutrive, Williams and everyone in next years class. Take no prisoners and play onnMonday
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I wouldn't say the stock market is bullish, just all the prices are going up. :D
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I wouldn't say the stock market is bullish, just all the prices are going up. :D
Perfect.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Alieberman wrote:I just really want to see Lee, B Williams and Jeter back.
Jeter is not ready for the league. One would think after sitting through last year’s drama and the fallout from it this year, he wound want to finish his AZ career on a high note on a loaded title contender.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

azcat49 wrote:With our issues, I just love Doutrive, Williams and everyone in next years class. Take no prisoners and play onnMonday
Really hope Doutrive is back next year, so talented.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:

Looks like he's got good hands.

Nice offer list, but looks like he plays in some small Christian school league (although he doesn't) with all those tiny white boys.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

goslingswagg wrote:
azcat49 wrote:With our issues, I just love Doutrive, Williams and everyone in next years class. Take no prisoners and play onnMonday
Really hope Doutrive is back next year, so talented.
I really think its a 99.99999% chance Doutrive is back. Unless theres something totally secretive going on behind the scenes. Hes honored the process and earned playing time.
B-Will should be back
Barcello most likely - and hes starting to earn it

Jeter is iffy

Dylan Smith maybe we are stuck with. Same with Randolph. Would Randolph transfer? All the talk of adding more players but I dont see where the schollies are coming from. Maybe Miller is worried about a current commit ot two not coming rather than current guys on roster leaving? Can he just say hey Dylan and Randolph thanks for trying but you're not Arizona good?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I'd put Doutrive as a 50/50 shot of being back. Which coaches get fired and which players become available will play a huge part in the shape of the roster next year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Choo, can we assume DD would be welcomed back and being 50/50 would be a sign of the roster being too loaded and him seeing he can’t get minutes like he would like?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:So Choo, can we assume DD would be welcomed back and being 50/50 would be a sign of the roster being too loaded and him seeing he can’t get minutes like he would like?
Yeah I'd say it's all about role next season for him. I'm not sure what it'd take honestly, because he's not starting next year. I'm just guessing here, but I think if a 6th man role is there then he stays, if not then adios.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:So Choo, can we assume DD would be welcomed back and being 50/50 would be a sign of the roster being too loaded and him seeing he can’t get minutes like he would like?
Yeah I'd say it's all about role next season for him. I'm not sure what it'd take honestly, because he's not starting next year. I'm just guessing here, but I think if a 6th man role is there then he stays, if not then adios.
So if we can successfully push Smith and Randolph out the door, more or less
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
So if we can successfully push Smith and Randolph out the door, more or less
Less concerned with that and more concerned that 2019 recruiting is not done.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Choo what are you concerned with? Defections from our current class? I am excited about the idea of bringing in better talent as some of these guys who would return just have not developed like we had hoped. Would love to know the area of your concern