Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatFanOneMil

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Rise and fire your last remaining brain cell is a moron...I've had it on my blocked list for about a year...

And yes it is adorable in the same way anti-vaxers recreated a measles outbreak is adorable.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bless your heart RiseAndFail
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RiseAndFire wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I am listening to a radio show right now with someone who says they talked to Steve Haney (Dawkins' lawyer) many times and how Haney will bring down the dirty coaches and will prove how Dawkins is innocent. Reminder this is the bribery trial not the fraud one earlier.

If Dawkins is trying to prove he is innocent, how does have Miller testify in any way help out Dawkins? The FBI did not charge Miller so obviously Miller did not commit bribery in their eyes. That just makes zero sense to me. IF Dawkins is right and Miller is a cheat, how does him taking the stand saying he paid for players help Dawkins prove his innocence?
He wants to garner sympathy from the judge as a small piece to a much larger puzzle that includes head coaches raking in $4M a year like Miller. How can you throw the book at one guy when all these high-profile coaches get off scot free?

Late April is shaping up to be a great time for UofA Athletics. To have our $4M flagship head coach grilled on the stand in federal court as all his wiretaps get entered into evidence will be such a good look for the university.

Heeke hasn't and won't fire Miller until the dirty laundry is aired in April. Then UA can fire him for cause and not owe on that ridiculous contract that they kept extending over and over.
I hope at least you didn't type all that naked.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:I am listening to a radio show right now with someone who says they talked to Steve Haney (Dawkins' lawyer) many times and how Haney will bring down the dirty coaches and will prove how Dawkins is innocent. Reminder this is the bribery trial not the fraud one earlier.

If Dawkins is trying to prove he is innocent, how does have Miller testify in any way help out Dawkins? The FBI did not charge Miller so obviously Miller did not commit bribery in their eyes. That just makes zero sense to me. IF Dawkins is right and Miller is a cheat, how does him taking the stand saying he paid for players help Dawkins prove his innocence?
He wants to garner sympathy from the judge as a small piece to a much larger puzzle that includes head coaches raking in $4M a year like Miller. How can you throw the book at one guy when all these high-profile coaches get off scot free?

Late April is shaping up to be a great time for UofA Athletics. To have our $4M flagship head coach grilled on the stand in federal court as all his wiretaps get entered into evidence will be such a good look for the university.

Heeke hasn't and won't fire Miller until the dirty laundry is aired in April. Then UA can fire him for cause and not owe on that ridiculous contract that they kept extending over and over.
How ironic would it be if Miller employed zone defense to quash the subpoena?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

no but it will be weird seeing Miller go down in flames in April - since usually it happens in March to a double digit seed
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

RiseAndFire wrote:no but it will be weird seeing Miller go down in flames in April - since usually it happens in March to a double digit seed
Yeah all the time when he's been a coach, except for 2006 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RiseAndFail,

You can drive back to Phoenix.
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:RiseAndFail,

Preach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Preach.
Fuckin’ A
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Preach.
Fuckin’ A
x 4.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Schlabach: Kansas seeks $1 million in restitution from corruption case

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ption-case" target="_blank
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:Schlabach: Kansas seeks $1 million in restitution from corruption case

If Kansas actually gets 1 million dollars from guys who were literally buying players for Kansas, my head might explode.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Schlabach: Kansas seeks $1 million in restitution from corruption case

If Kansas actually gets 1 million dollars from guys who were literally buying players for Kansas, my head might explode.
Maybe we can sue Adidas for 1 million and have a real reporter write a story about us and then we could change the narrative.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I seem to be out of the loop but what has happened to the Mark Phelps thing?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I seem to be out of the loop but what has happened to the Mark Phelps thing?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5078&start=2350#p375511" target="_blank

Choo - "People with brains took over. His contract runs out over the summer."
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Jefe wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:I seem to be out of the loop but what has happened to the Mark Phelps thing?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5078&start=2350#p375511" target="_blank

Choo - "People with brains took over. His contract runs out over the summer."
Thanks, the issue apparently got misplaced, buried and ignored...kinda like my sex life.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gatto sentenced to 9 months, Dawkins and Code both get 6 months. COLOSSAL WASTE OF FUCKING TIME. Our tax dollars went to this shit. Unbelievable.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The NCAA is now officially seeking access to information collected by the FBI during their investigation..........Lets hope the request is denied.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 016536002/" target="_blank
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Just a reminder that the four other defendants in the second case (the one that includes coaches like Book, along with Dawkins and Sood) have already plead guilty - everyone outside of Dawkins, who has already been found guilty and sentenced in his other trial.

But here is Dawkins trying to drag head coaches onto the stand. For what? Certainly not to prove his innocence.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Gatto sentenced to 9 months, Dawkins and Code both get 6 months. COLOSSAL WASTE OF FUCKING TIME. Our tax dollars went to this shit. Unbelievable.
My sentiments exactly. Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but did anyone find the timing of this whole scandal odd? Like, it was business as usual in NCAA hoops up until that Joon Kim press conference in the fall of '17. Was it simply that the investigation had ended and it happened to coincide with the start of the 2017-18 season? Or was there something else going on, something shadier?

It's really fucking mind-boggling that this non-story continues to be a story, and that there still seems to be a (very) remote chance that Miller could be out as coach this summer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Just a reminder that the four other defendants in the second case (the one that includes coaches like Book, along with Dawkins and Sood) have already plead guilty - everyone outside of Dawkins, who has already been found guilty and sentenced in his other trial.

But here is Dawkins trying to drag head coaches onto the stand. For what? Certainly not to prove his innocence.
Boggles the mind, his literal defense at the moment is "yeah I broke NCAA rules, but so does every body else."
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Just a reminder that the four other defendants in the second case (the one that includes coaches like Book, along with Dawkins and Sood) have already plead guilty - everyone outside of Dawkins, who has already been found guilty and sentenced in his other trial.

Oh, they are 100% trying to sell "the entire game is tainted...we did nothing unusual" defense, because he is dead to rights on the actual charges (which are silly, IMO, to be prosecuted at all, but whatever...)

Which is why it would be a real judicial reach for the judge to allow them to call Miller.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

It's really fucking mind-boggling that this non-story continues to be a story, and that there still seems to be a (very) remote chance that Miller could be out as coach this summer.
To be fair, that very remote chance of Miller being out this summer is smaller than the chance that any other coach to miss the tournament this year is fired.

But the overall point is spot on (maybe not the conspiracy angle)...this has been a colossal waste of time and resources. Defrauding state institutions, etc...no team that ends up involved in getting 5 star players is really giving a shit about being "defrauded" in this particular scheme. The only damage this kind of stuff does is to the integrity of the game, and we have known that to be compromised by outside influences for ever and ever.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Boggles the mind, his literal defense at the moment is "yeah I broke NCAA rules, but so does every body else."
Yeah, I'm not a lawyer but I'm really confused/skeptical as to why the judge would allow Dawkins to call Miller to testify. Even if Miller denies allegations of a payment plan for Alkins (or Ayton for that matter), that does nothing to disprove the other allegations against Dawkins. Nor does it disprove that Dawkins committed crimes in furtherance of those payments, if they existed, as Miller's lack of knowledge regarding them wouldn't be evidence that they didn't exist.

What in the world is Dawkins looking for from Miller? He can't exonerate Dawkins, the lone "not-guilty, though I've already been found guilty" hold-out. And if there is dirt on Miller... that's evidence of Dawkins's guilt.

Miller's attorneys should file a motion to quash and the judge should shut down the circus. Hopefully he's able to do so at the end of the season to avoid any further disturbance to this team. No "the season ended a long time ago" jokes.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

To be fair, that very remote chance of Miller being out this summer is smaller than the chance that any other coach to miss the tournament this year is fired.

But the overall point is spot on (maybe not the conspiracy angle)...this has been a colossal waste of time and resources. Defrauding state institutions, etc...no team that ends up involved in getting 5 star players is really giving a shit about being "defrauded" in this particular scheme. The only damage this kind of stuff does is to the integrity of the game, and we have known that to be compromised by outside influences for ever and ever.
The trial itself has done far more harm to UofA than the individual actions of those indicted.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Gatto sentenced to 9 months, Dawkins and Code both get 6 months. COLOSSAL WASTE OF FUCKING TIME. Our tax dollars went to this shit. Unbelievable.
My sentiments exactly. Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but did anyone find the timing of this whole scandal odd? Like, it was business as usual in NCAA hoops up until that Joon Kim press conference in the fall of '17. Was it simply that the investigation had ended and it happened to coincide with the start of the 2017-18 season? Or was there something else going on, something shadier?

The day that the Miller/Dawkins wiretaps are entered into evidence he is done. I wouldn't call the chance of that happening remote, sound like 50/50.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

I saw Michael Sokolove (he wrote about this case, Rick Pitino and spoke for a number of hours with Dawkins) speak at the Tucson Festival of Books this weekend and he basically confirmed your post. Reading between the lines, the mainstream media characterized him as an ambitious kid who made some dumb mistakes and Sokolove says he's a lot smarter than it appears.

For the record, he thinks the wildcard is the NCAA because they're so irrational. My sense is he didn't think anything substantial would happen to Miller.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

The trial itself has done far more harm to UofA than the individual actions of those indicted.
Without a doubt.

The lack of basic knowledge of what is actually happening here, what the schemes involved in the trial actually consisted of, what a subpoena from the defense lawyers in this circus actually means, and the constant blurring of what is a crime vs what is an NCAA violation by the writers of these national stories is shocking.

And every headline involving "corruption" and "Miller" creates a formed opinion in the lazy mass consciousness. It was easy to argue the facts about the initial stories and explain to less obsessed people that there was a disconnect between fact and ESPN reality, but those same people see each new story as a new "event". I have heard from people who are even casual fans of our program stuff like "I dunno...it just seems like there are too many different accusations against Miller for this to just be nothing. I mean, his name is coming up again in this new trial...he is being forced to testify or something. Where there is smoke there is fire." You can try to explain to these people that, really, there is nothing new, this is all related to the the same FBI probe, Miller is not a defendant or even a material witness, he is not being called by prosecutors to testify to his knowledge of schemes...and he is not being accused of anything by the Feds. But they just get glassy eyed. "Why is he so defensive about being asked about it, then? Why doesn't he just say he is innocent?" Innocent of what?

Yesterday, some writer was trying the angle "as the highest paid state employee, he owes the taxpayers more than "no comment" to these questions."

First, what taxpayer money is paid to Miller? The lowest paid employee of the state receives more tax dollar support as part of his/her compensation than Miller.

Second, what can he answer? Even forgetting the whole "he cannot comment on a Federal trial, etc., etc." part...what can he comment on? He isn't accused of anything. He isn't on trial for anything. He doesn't even know if he is going to be called to testify. And he has no idea what questions the defense attorneys will ask if he is put on the stand. To the larger issue, he has already stated that he has not participated in or been made aware of any scheme to pay players at Arizona. So if that is the larger question here, it has been answered. Specifically to the subpoena...there really isn't an answer to give because so much has yet to be determined, including his participation.
Last edited by EVCat on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

The day that the Miller/Dawkins wiretaps are entered into evidence he is done. I wouldn't call the chance of that happening remote, sound like 50/50.
What if this is all that's contained:

Dawkins: "Why do you play packline so much?"
Miller: "Honestly, I sort of prefer zone. But there's this asshole named Rise and Fire who builds half his life around me only playing man."
Dawkins: "So you're just screwing with him?"
Miller: "Yeah, and his wife too."
Dawkins: "Nice."
Miller: "He's always saying I should tell players to go harder. That's the same thing his wife tells me."
Dawkins: "That's cold. You want me to pay some players for you?"
Miller: "Nah, I'm good."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

Solid spiff
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RiseAndFire wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

How do you know what is on the tapes?

Miller said he spoke to Dawkins already. And he said he did nothing. He knew he was on tape at the time. So either

a) Miller will be praised for turning down paying for players
b) Miller will never coach again because he lied a year ago, have to think Miller knew that would be the case so why ruin your career?
c) Miller would have already been arrested for bribery
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Come on Choo think about the "victims" here...
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

RiseAndFire wrote:

As harsh as that sounds I tend to think the same thing with regard to what ends up happening to Miller. Blue bloods are the cash cows for the NCAA so they're essentially untouchable. Unfortunately we aren't a blue blood and because of it I believe we're the ideal type of program the NCAA decides to make an example out of. I just hope the embarrassment to the University is minimal but I'm not counting on it. I'm sticking with what I've said for a long time; no matter how you slice it this does not end well. Time will soon tell but I'm having a hard time staying optimistic at this point. This whole thing has been every bit as hard as 1983. If I can weather that I can weather anything as a UA basketball fan.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
Come on Choo think about the "victims" here...
The real question from today is if Kansas got their 1 million in restitution.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

PHXCATS wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

How do you know what is on the tapes?

Miller said he spoke to Dawkins already. And he said he did nothing. He knew he was on tape at the time. So either

a) Miller will be praised for turning down paying for players
b) Miller will never coach again because he lied a year ago, have to think Miller knew that would be the case so why ruin your career?
c) Miller would have already been arrested for bribery
the answer is b) but I think he will coach again. If you're CSM, you lie and take a gamble on the wiretaps never being released. You keep the circus going for a whole extra season and you pocket another nice $4 Million. Cha ching

The above scenario is far more likely than A) Miller having a dozen calls with Dawkins to turn down offers for players and C) Miller doesnt' have to be charged with bribery he only needs shown that he was involved/coordinating with Dawkins and Book but not taking any money directly (which is why he avoided bribery charge)
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ry-scandal" target="_blank

A federal judge sent three men caught in a federal probe of college basketball kickbacks to prison but gave them relatively lenient sentences for a striking reason: Corruption, he implied, is common in the sport.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

dmjcat wrote:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ry-scandal

A federal judge sent three men caught in a federal probe of college basketball kickbacks to prison but gave them relatively lenient sentences for a striking reason: Corruption, he implied, is common in the sport.

Annnnnd there's the money shot...

THIS is exactly what Dawkins is shooting for, to drag it out as long as possible (he's doing time no way to avoid it) and to drag some big names in with him so he looks like a regular Joe who got caught up in all the graft that goes on in the sport...

If Millers attorney is worth the $ being paid there has already been a motion to quash the subpoena based on Miller not having any charges against him and not being a witness to anything other than Dakins being a dipshit.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Sounds like the judge understands college basketball recruiting. Maybe he is a Kansas or Duke fan
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Rise and Fire has complained that his wife was brought into the discussion

R and F... the moment you positivity contribute to these forums I will take your complaints seriously

Until then go fuck yourself
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Rise and Fire has complained that his wife was brought into the discussion

R and F... the moment you positivity contribute to these forums I will take your complaints seriously

If it makes it any better, I didn't know he was married and wasn't trying to bring his wife into it. I was trying to be disrespectful to his speculation and oddly personal hatred of Miller, not impugn his wife's chastity.

If R+F wants to even the score, my wife and I have a cat we basically treat like our child. It's always an open topic of joking that I'm a crazy cat person, so I'd suggest he take shots at that part of my life. Those jokes hit close to home.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Alieberman wrote:Rise and Fire has complained that his wife was brought into the discussion

Seriously? (I have blocked his stupid ass so I do not see his tripe)...???

A dude on an internet forum has actually complained that someone else made an internet comment about his fucking wife?

What level of brain dead and socially disconnected to reality do you have to be to even frame a response like that?

Its the damn internot for crying out loud, unless of course his wife is a member here and can see the compliment/insult to her/her pathetic husband...?

There's no crying in male dominated sports forums...get a fucking life and step away from the damn computer, maybe your wife has something valuable to contribute to your world....the fact that he's online complaining that she was mentioned just reveals how much time he's NOT spending with her.

My god I had no idea I could disrespect him more, I was wrong.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I suggest we bring Rise and Fire's pet hermit crab into the conversation.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

To be fair, no one could have predicted that someone would actually marry RiseAndFail. Obviously Spaceman thought he was making a joke at the expense of someone who couldn’t possibly exist.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Truly our wives redeem us all, even FlaccidAndFlail deserves as much.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I had him down as an incel.
-JB
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

So there we go, 18 months into this scandal we finally found the true victim in all of this

Rise & Fire's Wife
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Newportcat wrote:So there we go, 18 months into this scandal we finally found the true victim in all of this

Rise & Fire's Wife
All our wives are guilty of having lousy taste in men. That''s victimization enough.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:To be fair, no one could have predicted that someone would actually marry RiseAndFail. Obviously Spaceman thought he was making a joke at the expense of someone who couldn’t possibly exist.
There are a lot of fetishes out there. I'm not stunned there's a woman that's uncontrollably attracted to discussion of the 2-3 zone.

Joking aside, I originally was going to make it his mom, but disregarded that because I figured that was too disrespectful. So I compromised with a wife joke, and look how that backfired on me.

I don't know, I figured my post was pretty blatantly not serious, but...it's another way R+F and I are very different as people.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I've closed the report.

I feel it is fairly obvious it was a joke post and not actually a personal dig at R&F's wife (especially considering nobody knew he was married).

From this point forward, I'd ask posters to refrain from bringing R&F's wife into the discussion, as it is apparently a sensitive area for him and I think we can all be the better man here and respect his wishes on this matter.

::::

Oh, and hey you mods, at least 2 of you fuckers saw that report and didn't clear it, just to make us other mods suffer through reading it, didn't you! You devious bastards!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:There are a lot of fetishes out there. I'm not stunned there's a woman that's uncontrollably attracted to discussion of the 2-3 zone.
Priceless.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand CUT!

~ Wilhoit's Law