Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

splitsecond

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by splitsecond »

Wall Street Journal is reporting that Avenatti's co-conspirator Mark Geragos. I could have sworn he had some clients related to this and other NCAA legal issues.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I hope Nike doesn't get sympathy during this
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:I hope Nike doesn't get sympathy during this
I do. Sympathy for Nike helps Arizona.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I wouldn't be surprised if Avenatti actually has some dirt.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Alieberman wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Avenatti actually has some dirt.
Oh I am sure there is dirt, and I don't doubt he has some. Especially if someone as successful as Geragos gets involved. The issue is simple - if he doesn't have a client with a rightful claim to damages then his demand for payment becomes extortion, and sometimes even WITH a client who has a claim, you can overblow the claim or demand settlement in a way that is still extortion.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Getting this back and forth from CBS coverage of the Avenatti arrest:

Host: "The Client was apparently a coach who's team had previously had a contractual relationship with Nike, but had been terminated..."

Lawyer: "Right, so they lost the sponsorship..."

Host: "They had lost the sponsorship and according to Avenatti the client had evidence that one or more Nike employees had authorized and funded payments to the families of top high school basketball players and/or their families and attempted to conceal those payments similar to a rival company that had recently been the subject of a criminal prosecution in this district."

Any ideas who this client of Avenatti's is/was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k32DHGvCoLQ" target="_blank
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Of course the client is Gary Franklin Sr, coach of the California Supreme AAU program, the program where we've landed roughly 1738293637282 kids from in our past.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

So more ways to fuck Arizona, great!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Of course the client is Gary Franklin Sr, coach of the California Supreme AAU program, the program where we've landed roughly 1738293637282 kids from in our past.
At least at this point, Avenatti sort of cut the legs out from any credibility Franklin alone might have had with the bribe allegation. If he has hard evidence, maybe we do have to be worried, but by trying to get money out of Nike first, it harms his credibility a good bit.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So where does this put us? I still have to believe Miller told everything he knows as NIKE has been looked at for over a year. Can’t believe they have anything new and the fact. Nike giving up Franklin has to point to that being old news
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

azcat49 wrote:Do where does this put us? I still have to believe Miller gd told everything he knows as NIKE has been looked at for over a year. Can’t believe they have anything new and the fact. Nike gave up Franklin has to point to that being old news
If the FBI is going after Avenatti and Geragos, then Franklin & Nike are the victims, no?

I'm not an attorney, but whether or not any school knew about payments involving Nike and families is not relevant to the case. Avenatti and Geragos face extortion charges. They can run interference and say that Nike was paying X, Y, and Z but that really doesn't matter. But I'm not an attorney so what the hell do I know other than Rise & Fall is still an ass.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I’m choosing not to follow this latest episode. I’m tired of it, and Avenatti is an opportunistic scum.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

The more this all plays out the better I feel about Miller, or maybe I have just become Numb to it all.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Vitale needs to be put out to pasture. He is a hypocrite and has repeatedly used double standards throughout this scandal. I'm glad LSU fans are tearing him up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

It's always Ayton lol
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

For a guy so anti-nike he sure loved their money.
Mike Luke's burner account.
TJATUA

Post by TJATUA »

Jesus, why can’t we catch a break? I just want to go a week without hearing about Arizona and the FBI.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

ChooChooCat wrote:
That's not how I see it. The feds probably wanted him to play ball and didn't like his posturing so they dropped the hammer. In the end I think they are still after Nike and see Av as a tool in the toolbox, just like Book and the rest.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Longhorned wrote:I’m choosing not to follow this latest episode. I’m tired of it, and Avenatti is an opportunistic scum.
Well, an arrest isn't going to stop scumbag Avenatti from going to war with Nike:

edit: removed tweet that ChooChoo already posted, but, anyone else notice Avenatti is also calling out Boies? As in the guy the Clinton administration hired to take down Microsoft, and to a point did?

Who knew the path to taking on the world leads through Stormy Daniels?!?!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:It's always Ayton lol
Ayton is the biggest name and Avenatti is all about publicity.

The FBI served a warrant at Nike in September, 2017. The idea they'd ignore Nike evidence is humorous.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Bol Bol come on down you're the next contestant on Avenatti's national relevancy!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Bol Bol come on down you're the next contestant on Avenatti's national relevancy!!!
Well, if they were writing out receipts...

CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Tweet the receipts big guy!
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Maybe Mark Schlabach hacked his account.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bol-ing for dollars.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:It's always Ayton lol
Ayton is the biggest name and Avenatti is all about publicity.

The FBI served a warrant at Nike in September, 2017. The idea they'd ignore Nike evidence is humorous.

Good point Spiff!

Avenatti is having a really bad year...2 million in child support/alimony and his former law firm is in trouble as well, with his name on it...

I have a hard time knowing what Avenatti is up to...his info on Stormy Daniels/payoff proved accurate (there WERE receipts)...started an entire circus of trouble for others...

But he is also in a LOT of other messes...lawsuits at him, lawsuits at others...no doubt he's a celebrity sort of attorney, but I do wonder about both sides of this...

Some of this feels a little bit like "payback" directed from the AG's office now that Trumps ace in the hole Barr is running things...who else gets public television media events for indictments like this?

I'm a little bit tired of the Judicial system being weaponized by politics...it needs to be a third rail in our Nation to keep the other two rails in line...at this point I no longer trust the system to be unbiased in ANY direction...

Avenatti might have receipts...but if he does so does the DOJ...and if they have them and are not pursuing criminal charges it is either because they cannot or they don't exist...or there might be a third option but it seems a little too much conspiracy for my taste.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

First off fuck attorneys

Secondly fuck Michael Avenatti

Third, Nike did pay Deandre Ayton and his family. He did not come to Arizona for free. But this is not really news

Fourth, Nike DEFINITELY paid Bol Bol to go to Oregon. Zero question there
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:First off fuck attorneys

Third, Nike did pay Deandre Ayton and his family. He did not come to Arizona for free. But this is not really news

I've said it once and I'll say it 1000 times. Arizona's job isn't to out recruit Adidas or UnderArmour schools. It's job is to outrecruit other Nike schools, so it is a top player's top Nike option. The rest is up to Nike. When you recruit the Deandre Ayton's of the world this is how it works.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

So lets pretend Avenatti has some evidence that Nike IS paying players/and or their families to go to certain schools...

1. Oregon would be school number one...Phil Knight is STILL a major Ducks philanthropists and by this rule Oregon should ALWAYS have the number one class every year...yet they do NOT...almost never...like not even almost, just NEVER...and frankly in the last 10 years you can count their top ten players on your hands...we beat the shit out of them on this metric.

2. Pretend there are receipts...this would only affect current players...and beyond that it seems like it would not be something the Universities could control as a matter of fact, without direct lines of connections the Coaches could claim to being the victims here...you can have proof that the players/families got paid, but if there is no proof the coaches had anything to do with it whadda ya got? Nada.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:So lets pretend Avenatti has some evidence that Nike IS paying players/and or their families to go to certain schools...

1. Oregon would be school number one...Phil Knight is STILL a major Ducks philanthropists and by this rule Oregon should ALWAYS have the number one class every year...yet they do NOT...almost never...like not even almost, just NEVER...and frankly in the last 10 years you can count their top ten players on your hands...we beat the shit out of them on this metric.

2. Pretend there are receipts...this would only affect current players...and beyond that it seems like it would not be something the Universities could control as a matter of fact, without direct lines of connections the Coaches could claim to being the victims here...you can have proof that the players/families got paid, but if there is no proof the coaches had anything to do with it whadda ya got? Nada.
I don't think Oregon would be school 1. Avenatti's client ran Cal Supreme. The first school(s) would be ones who signed Cal Supreme players.

It's less about schools and more about the AAU team.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nike sure didn't get a good investment in their money since Ayton signed with Puma.

But then again, Nike is severely underpaying UA, so maybe it's a wash.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If I had $15,000 to spend on a suit like that, I'd spend it on a house built of chimichangas, and I'd eat my way out.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't care if NIKE or any shoe company throws money at a player or their families. Coaches, players, shoe companies, the NCAA, university presidents, ADs, assistants, fans, TV networks, etc... are all part of the same hypocrisy. Don't tell me Arizona is guilty and Sean Miller should be drawn and quartered unless you're willing to dig up the body of John Wooden and drag him through the mud and every other coach as well.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Longhorned wrote:If I had $15,000 to spend on a suit like that, I'd spend it on a house built of chimichangas, and I'd eat my way out.
I do like Walt's shirt though.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I've said it once and I'll say it 1000 times. Arizona's job isn't to out recruit Adidas or UnderArmour schools. It's job is to outrecruit other Nike schools, so it is a top player's top Nike option. The rest is up to Nike. When you recruit the Deandre Ayton's of the world this is how it works.
Yep, totally right. Deandre was getting paid regardless for where he went. We wanted to be the top school for him so then Nike steps up and does its job
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

zonagrad wrote:

I don't care if NIKE or any shoe company throws money at a player or their families. Coaches, players, shoe companies, the NCAA, university presidents, ADs, assistants, fans, TV networks, etc... are all part of the same hypocrisy. Don't tell me Arizona is guilty and Sean Miller should be drawn and quartered unless you're willing to dig up the body of John Wooden and drag him through the mud and every other coach as well.
The only reason Miller should be drawn and quartered if their is smoking gun proof he was in on it. Now was Miller in on it, of course he was. He knew exactly what is going on.

Kobi Simmons does not commit to Arizona without taking a visit because Book is an amazing recruiter

But if Miller was dumb enough to be on tapes talking about paying players to Christian Dawkins then he deserves to be drawn and quartered because that is just stupid on him.

I personally doubt he was that dumb so I agree we should not be drawn and quartered. He is playing the game like everyone else is.

So what Nike wants to give money to Deandre Ayton. Who is hurt in that? U of A? F*ck no, U of A makes $24M a year in revenues from basketball.

The whole thing is a crock of shit and NCAA is biggest issue on it. Too much money nowadays going around with College Basketball.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:Nike sure didn't get a good investment in their money since Ayton signed with Puma.

True but its throwaway Money for Nike. Deandre also helped to alleviate Arizona brand which helps Nike too while he was here

$150K (I heard what they paid) is a small investment for them
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Newportcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:Nike sure didn't get a good investment in their money since Ayton signed with Puma.

True but its throwaway Money for Nike. Deandre also helped to alleviate Arizona brand which helps Nike too while he was here

All this money to recruits is pocket change compared to the eventual payoff.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Longhorned wrote:If I had $15,000 to spend on a suit like that, I'd spend it on a house built of chimichangas, and I'd eat my way out.
So you like chimichangas?
I’m mean, do you REALLY like chimichangas?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Question:

If someone like Bol is looking at schools how does this work?
If he is choosing between Oregon and AZ is the Nike money the same?
Or do the shoe guys make offers and then once he picks a brand then he chooses between their affiliated schools?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

From the Yahoo story it looks like Avinati, geregos, and Franklin were all going after Nike.
Is that how you all see it?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote:Question:

Or do the shoe guys make offers and then once he picks a brand then he chooses between their affiliated schools?
The bidding war is two fold: Shoe companies battling each other and schools battling each other. If a player is committed to a shoe company through AAU, then it's schools that are furnished by THAT shoe company.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Newportcat wrote:

Nike might be slightly annoyed that it didn't go farther than that.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Postmaster wrote:Question:

Remember these players don't just get shoe money. Most of the AAU teams are run as non-profits and can take "Donations" from people or donors

https://californiasupremebasketball.com/donations/" target="_blank

What do those donations buy? Influence

The Nike money is ultimately the same but there can be other forms of payment via these donations

In the case of Deandre, I heard he legit wanted to come to Arizona over Kansas given where his parents lived. So he got money from Nike and I am not sure if there was anything else.

Others its different and you have to look at the connections to the AAU programs

Its why anyone would question the relationship between Pasternack and the Oakland Soldiers.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Zagoria is an idiot, thats not how subpoenas work...the actual WITNESS has to be served NOT the lawyer...

And I can assure you that both Millers lawyer and the UofA's lawyers will IMMEDIATELY issue a request to quash the subpoena and will have good solid grounds for doing so...this will go about as far as Dawkins integrity...it's another glorious nothingburger and Zagoria will ignore the results or spin it to make it look like Miller is guilty...but no one would respond to Dawkins lawyers by showing up...not anyone with a brain.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Looks like we missed a chance for some drama. ;)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Avenatti dropped a Duke tweet and then some sort of screenshot showing $5K to Aytons mom but everyone laughed it off. I never saw it before Avenatti's twitter went private