Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: #2

Post by Olsondogg »

azgreg wrote:In my uneducated opinion I saw pretty good improvement in all parts of Zeus's game from year 1 to year 2 and expect the same level of improvement throughout this year. he may not get the blocks a guy his size should, but he sure as hell effects a lot of shots.
This. And to say he can't rebound is comical.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If Ristic is as good as his Red/Blue performance then we have a legit backup for Zeus which will allow him to be more assertive on defense and the boards without having to worry about foul trouble.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:If Ristic is as good as his Red/Blue performance then we have a legit backup for Zeus which will allow him to be more assertive on defense and the boards without having to worry about foul trouble.
This is what I hope for. Miller has stated that he played better in the Red/Blue than he had in practice...and he looked more polished offensively than I expected. Miller also said that he has a ways to go defensively...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

pokinmik wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:I would if you know....Tarc could defend and rebound.
Ha...so you basically think the team would be better w/o Tarc?

It's obviously frustrating when he has butterfingers or misses a point-blank shot but he's a great FT shooter that can go for 14&10 on any given night while altering countless shots from the opposition. A great deal of what Tarc provides won't show up on the stat sheet and Miller knows this and has Tarc's back accordingly.
Which was your favorite Tarc tournament game? His 1 rebound against SDSU, his 4 rebounds against Wisconsin, his 4 rebounds against Weber? I'm guessing it is his 5 rebound game against Gonzaga. Fourteen rebounds in 111 minutes. Tremendous stuff all around.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:If Ristic is as good as his Red/Blue performance then we have a legit backup for Zeus which will allow him to be more assertive on defense and the boards without having to worry about foul trouble.
This is what I hope for. Miller has stated that he played better in the Red/Blue than he had in practice...and he looked more polished offensively than I expected. Miller also said that he has a ways to go defensively...
If Ristic's D isn't where it should be for Miller, then the only way we'll see him is if we're in dire straits with foul trouble. I'd imagine Miller would rather go smaller than put in a player who isn't D'ing up the way he wants them to be.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
If Ristic's D isn't where it should be for Miller, then the only way we'll see him is if we're in dire straits with foul trouble. I'd imagine Miller would rather go smaller than put in a player who isn't D'ing up the way he wants them to be.
I am excited to see him in spurts this year, but future years will be more fruitful for Ristic for sure.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

POM, then Miller must REALLY have Tarc's back, because even Don Maclean was calling him out more than once for letting Ristic get the ball so close to the hoop and do work.

Tarc is one of the most beastly Division I physical specimens, yet he's still fading away from the hoop and getting shots stuffed at the rim.

These are reasons why he might be the sole returner from this year's starters. The man needs to go to the rim with authority every time he gets the damn ball this season.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ZONACAT wrote:Which was your favorite Tarc tournament game? His 1 rebound against SDSU, his 4 rebounds against Wisconsin, his 4 rebounds against Weber? I'm guessing it is his 5 rebound game against Gonzaga. Fourteen rebounds in 111 minutes. Tremendous stuff all around.
I'm not going to say he was awesome during the tournament, because he wasn't. Guarantee he paved the way for our other players to grab alot of rebounds either by tip outs or occupying the opposing big men though. As I said, Tarc's real value usually isn't going to show up on the stat sheet. Miller wouldn't play him if he was only grabbing 4 rebounds and nothing else like you're implying. But yea, Tarc should be much more assertive and physical on a more consistent basis, he is farrr from perfect. I just think he'll be a quality center for what should be a FF team, not some scrub who should be riding pine for Ristic.
gumby

Post by gumby »

ZONACAT wrote:
Puerco wrote:I laugh when I hear people say that a freshman Ristic will be more effective than a junior Zeus. Don't you people care about defense and rebounding out of your center? Sure he's got a nice hook, but as for the rest let's just wait a bit, eh?
I would if you know....Tarc could defend and rebound.
Would you start him?
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:POM, then Miller must REALLY have Tarc's back, because even Don Maclean was calling him out more than once for letting Ristic get the ball so close to the hoop and do work.

Tarc is one of the most beastly Division I physical specimens, yet he's still fading away from the hoop and getting shots stuffed at the rim.

These are reasons why he might be the sole returner from this year's starters. The man needs to go to the rim with authority every time he gets the damn ball this season.
Same question. Start him? If so, why?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zero chance Kaleb Tarczewski doesnt start every game this season unless hes injured or suspended.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Of course Zeus starts. Ristic is Arizona's future, and so far I like what I see. He just has different strengths than Zeus.
ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

gumby wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:
Puerco wrote:I laugh when I hear people say that a freshman Ristic will be more effective than a junior Zeus. Don't you people care about defense and rebounding out of your center? Sure he's got a nice hook, but as for the rest let's just wait a bit, eh?
Would you start him?
Sure, but I'd have a quick hook and not necessarily for Ristic. I'd like to see Bash at the 5 a lot this year.

Tarc being dreadful in the tournament and especially against SDSU/Wiscy when Arizona needed him the most has made me question if he will ever "get it" and be the player SM wants him to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

catgrad97 wrote:Of course Zeus starts. Ristic is Arizona's future, and so far I like what I see. He just has different strengths than Zeus.
Of course? I only see putdowns. Why start him?
gumby

Post by gumby »

ZONACAT wrote:
gumby wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:
Would you start him?
Sure, but I'd have a quick hook and not necessarily for Ristic. I'd like to see Bash at the 5 a lot this year.

Tarc being dreadful in the tournament and especially against SDSU/Wiscy when Arizona needed him the most has made me question if he will ever "get it" and be the player SM wants him to be.
This is your "pro" for why you'd start him? Hate to see the con.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Twin Towers in AZ!

TJ
SJ
BA
DR
KT

We could make two starting 5s that are better than any other in the country
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:POM, then Miller must REALLY have Tarc's back, because even Don Maclean was calling him out more than once for letting Ristic get the ball so close to the hoop and do work.

Not sure why you're directing this to me, or really what you mean by it.

Someone else said that Miller said Ristic isn't where he needs to be defensively. I simply chimed in that if it's true that Ristic isn't where he needs to be, I seriously doubt we'll see Miller put him on the floor very often (barring extreme foul trouble).

Do you doubt that Miller would rather go to a slightly smaller lineup of guys who play D up to his level, rather than put in a guy just cause he's tall?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ZONACAT

Post by ZONACAT »

Arizona will go small a ton this year, there will be a lot of games where Ristic is a DNP or will get <5 minutes.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Last Serbian big man at Arizona as a Freshman - Ivan Radenovich:

Played in 23 of 30 games, 14.2 mpg, 5.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg.

Would not surprise me if Dusan ended up with fairly similar numbers.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Rhymes with Tucson?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

ZONACAT wrote:
gumby wrote:
ZONACAT wrote:
Would you start him?

Aren't a lot of guys awful against Kaminsky? Ristic had 2 rebounds in red-blue. Tarc had what, 9? Do you think Miller is just blowing smoke when he raves about Tarc's defense?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Someone else said that Miller said Ristic isn't where he needs to be defensively. I simply chimed in that if it's true that Ristic isn't where he needs to be, I seriously doubt we'll see Miller put him on the floor very often (barring extreme foul trouble).

Do you doubt that Miller would rather go to a slightly smaller lineup of guys who play D up to his level, rather than put in a guy just cause he's tall?
Miller wants to have the right matchup to win every game.

I only addressed you because Olsondogg responded before I could reply directly.

Tarczewski has GOT to get to the ball in many more situations this year than last. He can't be the unused option down the stretch anymore.

You can't teach height? Then show what it can do.

He also can't be the one practice starter who needs help on D during games. Loren Woods never did, and he had all sorts of confidence problems while he was here.

Zeus doesn't. If he is going to make the legit first-round jump, it must be this year, and it must be by playing aggressively with his hands.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

catgrad97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

Tarczewski has GOT to get to the ball in many more situations this year than last. He can't be the unused option down the stretch anymore.

He also can't be the one practice starter who needs help on D during games. Loren Woods never did, and he had all sorts of confidence problems while he was here.

Zeus doesn't. If he is going to make the legit first-round jump, it must be this year, and it must be by playing aggressively with his hands.

I agree with all of this, but I don't see how it changes that Ristic won't be seeing the floor if he can't D up.

But yeah, Zeus needs to improve a bit.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I agree with all of this, but I don't see how it changes that Ristic won't be seeing the floor if he can't D up.
If Ristic allows big men to establish in the paint like Tarc did at Red-Blue, Miller would have every right to go small and not give him any minutes beyond the first half to avoid foul trouble.

I hope we can suffocate the paint as much as, if not more than, our big guys did last year. Opponents just couldn't score down there--trouble is they got too many second chances, which is where Tarc and Ristic come in too.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Jefe wrote:Twin Towers in AZ!

TJ
SJ
BA
DR
KT

We could make two starting 5s that are better than any other in the country
Miller openly laughed at this lineup and suggestion when it was presented at media day. Like literally laughed aloud and said no way.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tarc doesn't get the credit he deserves on defense. He is the reason teams will game plan differently against Arizona. He's one of the reasons they did last year. He protects the middle and the rim. He can do that without getting blocked shots. When he is out, teams have more success down low.

Ask his 'mates if they like having him down there. Bet they say, "hell yeah!"

We run pack line. Having a very large, mobile dude down there is hell on opponents. If he doesn't get much better offensively, he will still be valuable. That's why Miller raves. He loves defense. He hates giving up points in the paint.

There is no stat for this, other than FG% defense as a team. If he becomes an offensive force, that's gravy. It would be nice, but it's not vital. Not as vital as what he does on the other end.

I do agree that he could rebound better. Think it's his hands that betray him. He fumbles balls and has no second jump. Not much of a first one either.

I think he's a four-year player. I think he is as valuable as coach says.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Ristic allowed Tarc to set up in the paint? Not as much as Tarc allowed Ristic. Ristic scored seemingly at will against Zeus in the very low post. Let's just put it this way: they both need to work on their post defense.

Go Cats!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Kenpom preseason has us at #5 behind Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, and Kansas.

http://kenpom.com/index.php

Which leads me to wonder... With absolutely no data to go on so far, how is there a Kenpom ranking for anyone?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Chicat wrote:Kenpom preseason has us at #5 behind Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, and Kansas.

Which leads me to wonder... With absolutely no data to go on so far, how is there a Kenpom ranking for anyone?
There's a couple of links in the first paragraph here: http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog ... s_glossary
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:Kenpom preseason has us at #5 behind Duke, Kentucky, Louisville, and Kansas.

sometimes you have to take KenPom w/ a grain of salt.....like when he ranks UCLA 13th preseason.....YIKES
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

dcZONAfan wrote:

sometimes you have to take KenPom w/ a grain of salt.....like when he ranks UCLA 13th preseason.....YIKES
Yeah. KenPom starts to make sense right around the beginning of the conf. season. Until then, it will vary dramatically often from week to week.
gumby

Post by gumby »

What's all this talk about KenPorn?

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

dcZONAfan wrote:

It's just based on computer numbers that are virtually meaningless early in the season. All the computer rankings are similarly bad and volatile.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

2nd week at #2 with 4 first place votes. 16 pts ahead of Wisc and 83 behind Kentucky. If Kansas wins tonight we could be #1. We haven't even been playing like a top 20 team...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:We haven't even been playing like a top 20 team...
Sure we have. For one thing, we're holding opponents to 40% shooting while shooting 55% ourselves. We're also averaging 11 steals a game. That's elite level defense right there.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Then maybe there are no top-20 teams yet. AP should rank numbers 60-84. Arizona can be #61.
gumby

Post by gumby »

splitsecond wrote:I give Kentucky a max of 6 games before we overtake them.
I don't.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ok then I give Kentucky a max of 7 games before we overtake them.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

gumby wrote:Tarc doesn't get the credit he deserves on defense. He is the reason teams will game plan differently against Arizona. He's one of the reasons they did last year. He protects the middle and the rim. He can do that without getting blocked shots. When he is out, teams have more success down low.

We run pack line. Having a very large, mobile dude down there is hell on opponents. If he doesn't get much better offensively, he will still be valuable. That's why Miller raves. He loves defense. He hates giving up points in the paint.

There is no stat for this, other than FG% defense as a team. If he becomes an offensive force, that's gravy. It would be nice, but it's not vital. Not as vital as what he does on the other end.

I do agree that he could rebound better. Think it's his hands that betray him. He fumbles balls and has no second jump. Not much of a first one either.

thanks for the excellent post!!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Jefe wrote:We haven't even been playing like a top 20 team...
i dont agree
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:
gumby wrote:Tarc doesn't get the credit he deserves on defense. He is the reason teams will game plan differently against Arizona. He's one of the reasons they did last year. He protects the middle and the rim. He can do that without getting blocked shots. When he is out, teams have more success down low.

If Zeus is a four-year player, then no Rabb.

4 year Zeus + Risic or Rabb + Risic?

(Damn, Zeus would dominate year four with all those youngsters relying on him. Unquestioned leader, plus Anderson, Victor)
Last edited by Bosy Billups on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Who is Risic?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bosy Billups wrote:

(Damn, Zeus would dominate year four with all those youngsters relying on him. Unquestioned leader, plus Anderson, Victor)
Rabb is a power forward. If Arizona wants to play him at his NBA position instead of center, then that's a selling point for Rabb.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

97cats wrote:i dont agree
damnit, OK. I hate these slow starts and I need to stop comparing this years team with last years.

Cant wait to watch the big man battles tonight. Row 4 seats so I imagine Ill be looking up at them
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:
97cats wrote:i dont agree
damnit, OK. I hate these slow starts and I need to stop comparing this years team with last years.

Cant wait to watch the big man battles tonight. Row 4 seats so I imagine Ill be looking up at them
As frustrating as they are to watch, I think the slow starts are beneficial. And I'm fine with us not blowing these teams out by 50.

It's become cliche, but it really is a process. Mistakes made in November are valuable teaching points for games in March.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What is a slow start? What is a fast start?

Is it better to run faster in the beginning of a marathon or the end? Or should there be pacing involved?

Why am I creating running analogies?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:
97cats wrote:

Pot stirred.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:What is a slow start? What is a fast start?

Is it better to run faster in the beginning of a marathon or the end? Or should there be pacing involved?

Why am I creating running analogies?
Just don't hit "the wall." Gonna miss that analogy with Nick gone.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cats are going to come back and win, but this should throw some flags up about UA being a very far #2 from UK.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:Cats are going to come back and win, but this should throw some flags up about UA being a very far #2 from UK.
Through 2.5 games, I'd be hard pressed to defend the Cats' current ranking.