The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote:We're going to bring a grand transfer in to play what role?

We have three point guards. We have incoming potential NBA-caliber wings. We have a starting C, two seasoned versatile bigs, and an incoming top forward recruit.

What holes are we plugging? Roll the fucking ball out.
Unless something has changed, I thought Jeter was still exploring his options?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:

We have three point guards. We have incoming potential NBA-caliber wings. We have a starting C, two seasoned versatile bigs, and an incoming top forward recruit.

Does anyone really think that Jeter won't be back? He's in the middle of a graduate degree and he just posted a 3.5 GPA. He's finishing at Arizona.

"Better days are ahead for us" - C. Jeter.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote: Does anyone really think that Jeter won't be back? He's in the middle of a graduate degree and he just posted a 3.5 GPA. He's finishing at Arizona.

I imagine you are correct. I think he needs to come back just to prove he can be injury free for a full season.

Not sure what his new program is, but according to the campus phone book it's not for a degree.

Graduate - Graduate Non-Degree Seeking - Nondegree Seeking
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: Does anyone really think that Jeter won't be back? He's in the middle of a graduate degree and he just posted a 3.5 GPA. He's finishing at Arizona.

I imagine you are correct. I think he needs to come back just to prove he can be injury free for a full season.

Not sure what his new program is, but according to the campus phone book it's not for a degree.

I don't think you can get a graduate degree in basketball, but that doesn't quell most grad transfers. I doubt CJ is making his decision to stay or go on school.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote:

Interesting note. I thought he'd already started his graduate degree but that may not be the case.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Does anyone really think that Jeter won't be back? He's in the middle of a graduate degree and he just posted a 3.5 GPA. He's finishing at Arizona.

It's not 100% yet on him coming back. Leans more towards him coming back than not though.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Thank you Choo
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

If we are going after a Grad Transfer, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for it to be Derrik Smits.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:If we are going after a Grad Transfer, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for it to be Derrik Smits.
Not sure he signs up for being a back up or running a time share with Jeter. If Jeter bows out though it's probably a no brainer for both parties.
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:If we are going after a Grad Transfer, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for it to be Derrik Smits.
Not sure he signs up for being a back up or running a time share with Jeter. If Jeter bows out though it's probably a no brainer for both parties.
I thought he declared for the draft? Or is this if in case he withdraws?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never seen him play, but looking at his stats why does he only get limited minutes?

FR: 12.8
SO: 17.8
JR: 21.7

You would think being 7'1" you would want him on the court as much as possible.

Only averaged 5.7 boards a game too as a freshman, which might be OK given his limited minutes.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Declared without an agent, likely withdraws and transfers.

Per game stats limited by 22min/g PT, but some of his advanced stats are elite. 25 PER, 16% Treb, 60% TS, .175 WS/40.

That all rests on a super high usage (29.5%) when he is on the court. Limited offensively - just an around the rim guy. High foul rate and is fouled often in return, though he’s a poor foul shooter. I don’t see him as a fit for us except as a backup center to Jeter.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Personally I’ll take Zeke Nnaji at 6’11” 220lbs as our backup center (along with Lee) and call it a damn day.

If Jeter left for the G League, sure add him.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Limited minutes because he’s limited on both sides of the court. Relatively narrow frame and slow feet. No passing. Not much of a mid range jumper. Again, foul prone. Also likely that he’s facing smaller, quicker players in the MVC and he doesn’t match up well.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Personally I’ll take Zeke Nnaji at 6’11” 220lbs as our backup center (along with Lee) and call it a damn day.

If Jeter left for the G League, sure add him.
With Jeter, I completely agree that Nnaji, Lee and Gettings can handle the backup minutes. I just don't know how we recruit someone appreciably better when the only selling point is they might get minutes if Jeter goes down.

If Jeter leaves, yes, the minutes are there. I just want Chase back and then we roll on.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

jajoyce wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I thought he declared for the draft? Or is this if in case he withdraws?
Just doing his due diligence and checking his stock/getting advice, etc. He'll be at a college next year, just don't know if that's Arizona or not.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Limited minutes because he’s limited on both sides of the court. Relatively narrow frame and slow feet. No passing. Not much of a mid range jumper. Again, foul prone. Also likely that he’s facing smaller, quicker players in the MVC and he doesn’t match up well.
In all he's a great back up for Jeter and hell if it came down to it he's a great backup to Nnaji at the 5 as well. I'm sure he'd want more than to be a back up though. What Arizona has going for it is his parents live in Phx and Danny Peters already has a relationship with him.

Truthfully I think the precedence in Miller wanting another 5 so badly has to do with how little he trusts Jeter's health and willingness to play when he has a boo boo and doesn't get kisses on it from his mommy. He'd rather have depth than not. You know what you get with Lee playing the 5 and Gettings would be Ryan Luther redux at the 5, so he really wants another guy. Plus this is literally THE YEAR for Sean Miller. There's no such thing as taking chances on guys any more. He needs to win and win big.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Jeter is not ready for any professional basketball. It would be nuts to forgo his final season. What a career. He fizzled out at Duke, sat out a year at AZ, then the FBI shit-storm passed through Tucson, he finally played in the aftermath and had a very inconsistent and unhealthy season. One would think he would want to make things right and finish on a positive note -- on a team that will have legitimate national championship aspirations.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote:t's not 100% yet on him coming back. Leans more towards him coming back than not though.
I don't think any team has more guys leave early who go undrafted or to europe than us so even tho I see no reason why he would leave I guess we'll have to wait and see.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Turnover is to high.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Limited minutes because he’s limited on both sides of the court. Relatively narrow frame and slow feet. No passing. Not much of a mid range jumper. Again, foul prone. Also likely that he’s facing smaller, quicker players in the MVC and he doesn’t match up well.
In all he's a great back up for Jeter and hell if it came down to it he's a great backup to Nnaji at the 5 as well. I'm sure he'd want more than to be a back up though. What Arizona has going for it is his parents live in Phx and Danny Peters already has a relationship with him.

Truthfully I think the precedence in Miller wanting another 5 so badly has to do with how little he trusts Jeter's health and willingness to play when he has a boo boo and doesn't get kisses on it from his mommy. He'd rather have depth than not. You know what you get with Lee playing the 5 and Gettings would be Ryan Luther redux at the 5, so he really wants another guy. Plus this is literally THE YEAR for Sean Miller. There's no such thing as taking chances on guys any more. He needs to win and win big.
Choo, Does Miller even want Jeter back? You statement seems to imply he quit on the team a lot like Akot did. Just seems maybe it’s time to gut the roster and just start new.

Any chance we can find a 7’6” center from Senegal LOL
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Choo, Does Miller even want Jeter back? You statement seems to imply he quit on the team a lot like Akot did. Just seems maybe it’s time to gut the roster and just start new.

Any chance we can find a 7’6” center from Senegal LOL
Yes, Miller wants him back. Having him even part time is better than not having him at all considering the lack of options at his position.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So.. Randolph is returning?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

NYCat wrote:So.. Randolph is returning?
other than people short shortsightedly wanting him gone or him wanting a fresh start perhaps, whats a better option for him than at AZ next season?

this isnt me calling you out, rather wanting your position and opinion.

i have held the opinion that it would be in his best interest to play with Green, Mannion, and Williams in what could potentially be one of the deepest and best wing units in the nation versus the unknown and adjustment required to a new culture and surroundings elsewhere.

in reality the added depth takes pressure off a guy like Randolph and allows him to focus on scoring the basketball in bunches, his strength, and puts the onus on Williams and Mannion to handle the bulk of the field plowing.

Randolph to me is the exact type of player whos game can be limited or expanded just based upon the aptitude and competency of his teammates - that was on display this season.

he isnt going to take the team and put them on his back, hes just not that guy and it showed.

however, with improved talent and capability, i see a situation where he can really thrive next year at AZ...what does leaving for a fresh start present as a benefit superior than the one in Tucson next season?

for me i dont see one...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I agree, and I think he'd be dangerous (for the other team) if surrounded by actual threats on offense.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Oh I want him back. Frankly I don't trust Williams & Jeter, I think they're injury prone and will likely always struggle with it unfortunately.

As for Randolph, i think it's better that the ball is taken away from him and be in Mannion's (and/or Williams) hands and he can sit in the 3pt line and shoot 3s or slash and score. Plus he'll have more space with other legitimate scoring options. Lastly, and more importantly, you need upperclassmen to win in the tournament. Of course I want him back.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:
other than people short shortsightedly wanting him gone or him wanting a fresh start perhaps, whats a better option for him than at AZ next season?

i have held the opinion that it would be in his best interest to play with Green, Mannion, and Williams in what could potentially be one of the deepest and best wing units in the nation versus the unknown and adjustment required to a new culture and surroundings elsewhere.

in reality the added depth takes pressure off a guy like Randolph and allows him to focus on scoring the basketball in bunches, his strength, and puts the onus on Williams and Mannion to handle the bulk of the field plowing.

Randolph to me is the exact type of player whos game can be limited or expanded just based upon the aptitude and competency of his teammates - that was on display this season.

he isnt going to take the team and put them on his back, hes just not that guy and it showed.

however, with improved talent and capability, i see a situation where he can really thrive next year at AZ...what does leaving for a fresh start present as a benefit superior than the one in Tucson next season?

for me i dont see one...
Totally agree.

Our 2-3 best players on this year's team may be our 3rd-5th best players on next year's team.

I like that.... a lot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:

for me i dont see one...
I think it's probably the best decision for Randolph.

My question is always if he can fit into a role where he takes smart shots. He took a lot of bad shots this year, which we let slide because we needed points and didn't have many options. Next year, those shots take from legit scorers like Jeter, BWill, Nico and Green.

I think it would be excellent for his game to learn how to complement others. I just worry he can't. I hope I'm wrong.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I'm fine with him coming back provided he accepts his bench role. I think we're bound to have chemistry issues if all 3 of him, DD, and Smith are back...just can't see them accepting those roles. I also am worried about Miller's propensity to prefer older players - I can just imagine my seething rage seeing Green playing less than 25 mins a game just so that Miller can play Smith/Randolph more...I really don't want that to happen.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
97cats wrote:

for me i dont see one...
I think it's probably the best decision for Randolph.

My question is always if he can fit into a role where he takes smart shots. He took a lot of bad shots this year, which we let slide because we needed points and didn't have many options. Next year, those shots take from legit scorers like Jeter, BWill, Nico and Green.

I think it would be excellent for his game to learn how to complement others. I just worry he can't. I hope I'm wrong.
He will have to take smart shots next year otherwise he will be on the bench.

This year we had no options. Next year will be a whole different story.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:

for me i dont see one...

All of this.

I want to know what grad transfer will be better than a dude that has 2 years in the system and has produced in the past.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I want everyone that's eligible, back. Yes, everyone.

Unless it's a traditional transfer or JUCO transfer, I don't want them anymore. Grad transfers are fine for a stop-gap, but they aren't winning you a champ.

I remember that grad transfer last year that was a world beater and ended up doing next to nothing at Nova. Or the other world beater that wound up at Ville the year that they imposed a tourney ban.

I am over the grad transfer. Guys who stick around in the program and have big moments is what great teams have.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Randolph was always best when he was the 3rd option on offense. He should really excel next year without all the pressure he puts on himself when he has to be "the guy"
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

goslingswagg wrote:I'm fine with him coming back provided he accepts his bench role. I think we're bound to have chemistry issues if all 3 of him, DD, and Smith are back...just can't see them accepting those roles. I also am worried about Miller's propensity to prefer older players - I can just imagine my seething rage seeing Green playing less than 25 mins a game just so that Miller can play Smith/Randolph more...I really don't want that to happen.
Devonaire could be good by his upperclassmen years with Armstrong. Smith.... lol

Hopefully only a spot defender
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So... where are we hearing about "everyone" returning?

Has anyone made any actual announcements or is this just the direction the wind is blowing today?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

For those on the "come on back, BR" bandwagon, I'm just curious what you see as the key parts of his game in need of improvement. He didn't make the supposed "sophomore leap" that we've come to expect in players, and there were times this year where I thought he looked worse than last season. He shot 38% this year, 29% from 3. Those are really bad numbers. I expect he'll get more open looks with so many good offensive players roaming the floor, but I'm concerned about those shooting numbers.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Alieberman wrote:So... where are we hearing about "everyone" returning?

Has anyone made any actual announcements or is this just the direction the wind is blowing today?
I'm guessing it's from this?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:
Alieberman wrote:So... where are we hearing about "everyone" returning?

I'm guessing it's from this?

No idea, Ari...

I said this same thing weeks ago:
Olsondogg wrote:Want all those guys back in an Arizona uni. In fact, I would take anyone back, yes anyone, who was on this team this year. Much better than what you'd get on grad transfer market IMO.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So if they all come back are we good with the schollies? Do we have to pull one of the walk on scholarships back because we are over one?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

1. Nico Mannion
2. Josh Green
3. Terry Armstrong
4. Zeke Nnaji
5. Christian Koloko
6. Brandon Williams
7. Ira Lee
8. Chase Jeter
9. Brandon Randolph
10. Alex Barcello
11. Devonaire Doutrieve
12. Dylan Smith
13. Stone Gettings
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

NYCat wrote:1. Nico Mannion
2. Josh Green
3. Terry Armstrong
4. Zeke Nnaji
5. Christian Koloko
6. Brandon Williams
7. Ira Lee
8. Chase Jeter
9. Brandon Randolph
10. Alex Barcello
11. Devonaire Doutrieve
12. Dylan Smith
13. Stone Gettings
That is a roster with:

Stud freshmen
Tested Upperclassmen
Depth, depth, depth.

I'll take it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

2. Josh Green
3. Terry Armstrong
4. Zeke Nnaji
5. Christian Koloko
6. Brandon Williams
7. Ira Lee
8. Chase Jeter
9. Brandon Randolph
10. Alex Barcello
11. Devonaire Doutrieve
12. Dylan Smith
13. Stone Gettings
The bench could be the second best team in America.*

*This was an emotional, even teary post, written with a quaking hand on my heart and a quivering lip. If you take me seriously, you're an idiot.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx for the count. Lute used to say it all starts st the PG position at both ends. Watching Nico letting Anthony in the lane at the McDonalds was a bit of a concern. Hope he moves his feet better on defense come November
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

One of the most important qualities for tourney success is a mixture between talent and experience.

- Expert

Expert
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

2. Josh Green
3. Terry Armstrong
4. Zeke Nnaji
5. Christian Koloko
6. Brandon Williams
7. Ira Lee
8. Chase Jeter
9. Brandon Randolph
10. Alex Barcello
11. Devonaire Doutrieve
12. Dylan Smith
13. Stone Gettings
It will have been a long time since AZ has had that kind of deep roster. Miller will have to look beyond a 7 man rotation that he has become accustomed to (granted, that happened to some degree out of necessity).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Just gotta hope these freshmen are ready to contribute from day one. A team with three freshman lotto picks just failed to reach the FF, didn't even win its league. If that Duke team can fall short, any team can.

Still, I love Nico. He's clearly a special player. Probably one of the better PGs to come into the Pac this decade, and certainly our best since TJ.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

midnightx wrote:
2. Josh Green
3. Terry Armstrong
4. Zeke Nnaji
5. Christian Koloko
6. Brandon Williams
7. Ira Lee
8. Chase Jeter
9. Brandon Randolph
10. Alex Barcello
11. Devonaire Doutrieve
12. Dylan Smith
13. Stone Gettings
It will have been a long time since AZ has had that kind of deep roster. Miller will have to look beyond a 7 man rotation that he has become accustomed to (granted, that happened to some degree out of necessity).
He handled that well in 2010 IMHO in the Dance. It would be nice to go back to the luxury of situational subs when conference refs revert to form and get our starters in foul trouble for no good reason.

A full roster is great. Last I heard, though, DD wasn't coming back. If that is the case just because Randolph is returning, I don't know who wouldn't rather have DD back in that situation.

Full rosters are not only nice, they are IMHO necessary for proper player development. A transfer here or an injury there wouldn't usually hurt our bench under Lute, because he recruited the type of player who could, and did, step up.

Miller hasn't enjoyed that kind of depth since Matt Horcheck left. The nature of recruit departures has forced him to repeatedly burn redshirts and recruit grad transfers, which are stopgaps but more often have acted like a crowbar in the gears of the system.

He deserves this kind of roster again.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:For those on the "come on back, BR" bandwagon, I'm just curious what you see as the key parts of his game in need of improvement. He didn't make the supposed "sophomore leap" that we've come to expect in players, and there were times this year where I thought he looked worse than last season. He shot 38% this year, 29% from 3. Those are really bad numbers. I expect he'll get more open looks with so many good offensive players roaming the floor, but I'm concerned about those shooting numbers.
He has a ton of talent. Figuring out how to slot it into the team concept is the challenge there.

Vs guys like Doutrive or Smith, he has so much higher a ceiling. Learning a good shot from bad shot and how to play well with others instead of freelancing is his challenge.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just me but It seems Miller has shied away from his biggest motivational tool... the bench. Been awhile since he pulled all 5 guys because they stopped playing defense or that he has said in a press conference that if they are slow back in transition they won’t play for A under him.

I hate to ask the question but has Pittsburgh bred Miller gone soft?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Just me but It seems Miller has shied away from his biggest motivational tool... the bench. Been awhile since he pulled all 5 guys because they stopped playing defense or that he has said in a press conference that if they are slow back in transition they won’t play for A under him.

I hate to ask the question but has Pittsburgh bred Miller gone soft?
Hard to go to the bench when you don't have one.