let's talk '19

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

Re: let's talk '19

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Lute would have handed the keys to a player like that. Didn't Steve Kerr just loll around playing Donkey Kong while yelling at Roz to peel his grapes and bring him another Tab?
You gonna order something, kid?

Ah, yeah. Give me - Give me a Tab.

Tab? I can't give you a tab unless you order something.

Right. Give me a Pepsi Free.

You want a Pepsi, pal, you're gonna pay for it.
Look, just give me something without any sugar in it, ok?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

MPG:

PG: BWill 28 Nico 8 Barcello 4
SG: Nico 20 Hazzard 16 Smith 4
SF: Josh 28 Terry 8 Smith 4
PF: Stone 18 Lee 18 Zeke 4
C: Chase 26 Zeke 14

idk, maybe give all of smith's minutes to terry, I doubt that will happen tho. in close games cut barcello's minutes.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Well, there you have it. Wish the kid well. Was really hoping he'd have made a sophomore leap this past season - I had high hopes.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SunnyAZ wrote:MPG:

idk, maybe give all of smith's minutes to terry, I doubt that will happen tho. in close games cut barcello's minutes.
Nico had better get more than 30 minutes a game. Josh as well.

Top teams play three or more guys at or above 30 min/g. Health allowing, I hope we see Nico, Josh, Brandon, and Chase at or above 30min/g.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Wed May 29, 2019 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Well, there you have it. Wish the kid well. Was really hoping he'd have made a sophomore leap this past season - I had high hopes.
In theory, it would have been great to have a player come back as a junior; providing experience, leadership, and an improved game. On paper it looked intriguing, but in reality, it is difficult to imagine he would have been the contributor the team needed and wanted.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Top teams play three or more guys at or above 30 min/g. Health allowing, I hope we see Nico, Josh, Brandon, and Chase at or above 30min/g.
What we know about CSM: He has a pretty short bench and his best/deserved player(s) will play 30 minutes.
Assuming healthy:
Mannion
Green
Williams
should log 30+ minutes. Williams may play less for health reasons, but he is and will be a tough player to keep off the floor.
Zeke is a wild card for minutes. Based on his recent play I would guess he is at least 25 and could push for more by conference play.
Jeter played 25 despite his health issues. I would expect the same.

Conference Play Minutes:
PG: Mannion 30 min / Hazzard 5 min/ Williams 5 Min
SG: Williams 25 min / Hazzard 10 min/ Green 5 min
SF: Green 25 min/ Smith 10 min/ Armstrong 5 min
PF: Zeke 20 min / Lee 10 min/ Gettings 10 min
C: Jeter 25 min/ Lee 10 min/ /Zeke 5 min

That is 9-10 man rotation with Armstrong/Hazzard and Gettings/Koloko in line for more minutes if/when injuries pop up.

All bets are off when Brown signs!
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

baycat93 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

What we know about CSM: He has a pretty short bench and his best/deserved player(s) will play 30 minutes.
Assuming healthy:
Mannion
Green
Williams
should log 30+ minutes. Williams may play less for health reasons, but he is and will be a tough player to keep off the floor.
Zeke is a wild card for minutes. Based on his recent play I would guess he is at least 25 and could push for more by conference play.
Jeter played 25 despite his health issues. I would expect the same.

Conference Play Minutes:
PG: Mannion 30 min / Hazzard 5 min/ Williams 5 Min
SG: Williams 25 min / Hazzard 10 min/ Green 5 min
SF: Green 25 min/ Smith 10 min/ Armstrong 5 min
PF: Zeke 20 min / Lee 10 min/ Gettings 10 min
C: Jeter 25 min/ Lee 10 min/ /Zeke 5 min

That is 9-10 man rotation with Armstrong/Hazzard and Gettings/Koloko in line for more minutes if/when injuries pop up.

All bets are off when Brown signs!
I think your conference play minutes estimate is pretty darn good...makes sense to me. Don't thin green plays any mins at the 2 most likely though, would guess a few more mins would go to Green at the 3/Hazzard instead.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

YoDeFoe wrote:Nico had better get more than 30 minutes a game. Josh as well.
Just for comparison, TJ averaged 32.3 mpg as a jr and 30.5 mpg as a senior as a redshirt upperclassman. Not sure if true freshmen are ready for that grind of that many minutes.

Miller seems to have his rotations set in stone, as evidenced by how many UA players have a hot hand and Miller pulls them at the TV time outs.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Merkin wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Nico had better get more than 30 minutes a game. Josh as well.
Just for comparison, TJ averaged 32.3 mpg as a jr and 30.5 mpg as a senior as a redshirt upperclassman. Not sure if true freshmen are ready for that grind of that many minutes.

Miller seems to have his rotations set in stone, as evidenced by how many UA players have a hot hand and Miller pulls them at the TV time outs.
That may be true, but I don't think that will stop Miller in the upcoming year. Really comes down to talent and need. Mannion and Green embody both in spades.

Freshman Season minutes:
Williams - 28+
Ayton - 33+
Markkanen - 30+
Trier - 28+
Johnson - 28+
Gordon - 31+
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Ira Lee = overlooked
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

97cats wrote:Ira Lee = overlooked
I hope so '97. I am a big big Ira fan. He has such an important role on this team. Hoping he makes a similar jump this season like he did last.

If he is the same Ira, I have a hard time seeing him above 20 min.

Ways he gets more minutes:
- free throw improvement (hard to have him in there in crunch time)
- mid-range/baseline jumper - it is there for him all the time- thinking michael wRight
- fouls
- general floor awareness
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ira Lee is to basketball games what Tommy Callahan III is to road trips.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

YoDeFoe wrote:

mine is more of a general season guess, assuming we stayed healthy all year. in tourney/close games we can cut barcello's and smith's minutes. lee and zeke can change C/PF distinction and same with bwill and nico at PG/SG.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Minute wise, I tend to think in terms of how much you want someone out there.

Around 30 MPG, you want Nico, BWill, Green and Jeter.

Around 20, Nnaji (although he could step up fast), Lee, then maybe Hazzard or Gettings, depending on how they look. If Smith is back, I could see him here, although I'd rather see him with less.

Around 10, Armstrong. Under 10, Barcello.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

The Ira of February/March last year is definitely a 20+ mins per game player, just hope we get a similar (but slightly improved) version of him throughout all of next year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Minute wise, I tend to think in terms of how much you want someone out there.

Around 20, Nnaji (although he could step up fast), Lee, then maybe Hazzard or Gettings, depending on how they look. If Smith is back, I could see him here, although I'd rather see him with less.

With Spiff here - we want those four guys at 30 or so. The rest of it sort of falls into place after that (with some "depends how they do" caveats).
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Minute wise, I tend to think in terms of how much you want someone out there.

With Spiff here - we want those four guys at 30 or so. The rest of it sort of falls into place after that (with some "depends how they do" caveats).
I would only quibble with Jeter. I think Jeter will be most effective in more moderate minutes. Per your caveat...if Lee/Nnaji/gettings are performing... a better spread of minutes in the post might be best over the course of the season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

baycat93 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I would only quibble with Jeter. I think Jeter will be most effective in more moderate minutes. Per your caveat...if Lee/Nnaji/gettings are performing... a better spread of minutes in the post might be best over the course of the season.
I see it like this. Jeter is our best, most reliable big man. Until someone shows they can lighten his load, he needs around 30. If Nnaji is ready, I could get on board with both having 25.

Preumptively, though, Jeter is the guy we have who can be a rock in the post, on D and on the glass. Only if/when that changes are his minutes more flexible, IMO.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

I see it like this. Jeter is our best, most reliable big man. Until someone shows they can lighten his load, he needs around 30. If Nnaji is ready, I could get on board with both having 25.

Preumptively, though, Jeter is the guy we have who can be a rock in the post, on D and on the glass. Only if/when that changes are his minutes more flexible, IMO.
Foul trouble is going to be a problem with Jeter in many games. And that will limit his PT. I doubt he will average 30 min/game even if that is what is desired.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote:
Foul trouble is going to be a problem with Jeter in many games. And that will limit his PT. I doubt he will average 30 min/game even if that is what is desired.
Injury issues too. Jeter is no iron man. Averaged a bit less than 25 mpg last season on a very weak team.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Don't think there's any wrong answers in the above replies.

I will add, hopefully the better team surrounding Jeter allows him to play more within himself - fouling less and being more efficient with his energy and shot selection. In that way, 30min/g can become more like the 25min of effort we saw last season.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

YoDeFoe wrote:Don't think there's any wrong answers in the above replies.

I will add, hopefully the better team surrounding Jeter allows him to play more within himself - fouling less and being more efficient with his energy and shot selection. In that way, 30min/g can become more like the 25min of effort we saw last season.
Jeter's minutes and the rest of Arizona's bigs all depend on match ups. A good game from Jeter vs. USC doesn't necessarily translate to him playing just as many minutes vs. UCLA (or vice versa).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I can't tell if it's excitement or dread that has us chatting about next season so intensely.

Feels like there's a lot at stake.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
Injury issues too. Jeter is no iron man. Averaged a bit less than 25 mpg last season on a very weak team.
I'd couched my thoughts in what I hope people would play. God forbid BWill's knee goes, we could see less from him.

Ideally, I think those are what I'd want. What circumstance allows may be different.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

He looked like by far the most improved player from the beginning of last season to the end.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Think Jeter needs his minutes managed properly, and that comes from Ira continuing to improve and Zeke showing he's ready.

We need Jeter locked in come March and not battling his mind and body over his back and some nagging minor injuries.

If by March we can rely on three of Jeter, Gettings, Ira and Zeke, we are going to be in great shape.

For those keeping track... Again, we need to keep Jeter healthy, I don't trust Gettings, Ira is too inconsistent but he gives you the flashes you want to see, Zeke I've never seen play, but we need him to hit.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Josh Green just had shoulder surgery April 2019, and as a freshman, not exactly ready yet to lock him in yet for 30 minutes a game (though we need it). Jeter is pretty fragile too.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:Josh Green just had shoulder surgery April 2019, and as a freshman, not exactly ready yet to lock him in yet for 30 minutes a game (though we need it). Jeter is pretty fragile too.
Green's shoulders should be better than ever by November - first (real) game is Nov 6th.

And top incoming freshmen typically get big minutes per game under Miller - Ayton (33), Markkanen (31), Trier (injury pulled him down to 28), Stanley (28), Gordon (31).

If Green got less than 30 min/g, it would be out of the ordinary and likely a result of injury (e.g. Trier) or Green struggling with defense / ball movement / foul trouble (e.g. Stanley). Hoping the first doesn't occur (hoping that for all players though) and can't see the second as Green is already known for his effort on defense and his passing on offense - especially when paired with his backcourt mate Nico.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri May 31, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Louisville? Wtf?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Gary Parish / CBS Final Preseason Top 25:

#14. Arizona Sean Miller, even with an NCAA cloud hovering over his program, has secured a top-five recruiting class that should return the Wildcats to the NCAA Tournament. The addition of grad-transfer Max Hazzard was a nice late development.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Aaron Torres:

12) Arizona Wildcats

Key Returnees: Brandon Williams, Dylan Smith, Chase Jeter, Ira Lee, Alex Barcello
Key Departures: Brandon Randolph, Ryan Luther, Justin Coleman,
Key Additions: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Zeke Njadi, Terry Armstrong, Max Hazzard (grad transfer)

Like Will Wade, a month ago we weren’t even sure if Sean Miller would be able to keep his job at Arizona until the start of the 2019-2020 season. And like Will Wade he not only survived but is somehow thriving. And after a year spent in the middle of the Pac-12 standings, he once again has the league’s best team.

Brandon Williams and Chase Jeter are both back after averaging double-figures a season ago, but the story here is really the freshmen. Nico Mannion and Josh Green are both McDonald’s All-Americans, and both Arizona natives (even if Green was originally born in Australia) who have decided that they want to be part of the process of restoring this proud program. Fellow freshmen Zeke Njadi and Terry Armstrong, along vets Ira Lee, Alex Barcello and Dylan Smith.

Again, this is the best team in the Pac-12 entering the 2019-2020 season. The only question is whether they’re good enough to get Miller to his first Final Four.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SB Nation:

14. Arizona Wildcats

2018-19 Record: 17-15

2018-19 Finish: No Postseason

Brandon Randolph staying in the draft was a blow, but with Brandon Williams and Chase Jeter back, and with one of the nation’s top-ranked recruiting classes on its way to Tucson, it’s looking like last season’s disaster may wind up being an isolated incident.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NBC Sports:

13. ARIZONA
WHO’S GONE: Justin Coleman, Ryan Luther, Brandon Randolph
WHO’S BACK: Dylan Smith, Chase Jeter, Brandon Williams, Alex Barcello, Ira Lee
WHO’S COMING IN: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Max Hazzard, Terry Armstrong, Christian Koloko, Zeke Nnaji, Stone Gettings
PROJECTED STARTERS: Max Hazzard, Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Ira Lee, Chase Jeter
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Seth Davis / The Athletic:

12. Arizona
Previous rank: 15

Departures: Justin Coleman, 5-10 Sr.; Ryan Luther, 6-9 Sr.; Brandon Randolph, 6-6 Soph.

Top returnees: Brandon Williams, 6-2 Soph.; Chase Jeter, 6-10 Sr.

Incoming: Nico Mannion, 6-3 Fr.; Josh Green, 6-6 Fr.; Terry Armstrong, 6-6 Fr.; Zeke Nnaji, 6-11 Fr.; Max Hazzard, 5-10, Sr.; Terry Armstrong, 6-6 Fr.; Christian Koloko, 7-0 Fr.

Here’s another program that has had to withstand all sorts of drama over the last year, including having two assistant coaches forced out. Then came the blizzard of headlines about Sean Miller because of revelations during the trial that was part of the federal government’s investigation into college basketball. And yet personnel-wise Miller had a fabulous spring. He also added two players in Nnaji and Hazzard (a grad transfer from UC Irvine) who will have an immediate impact. That comes on the heels of a consensus top-five recruiting class. Miller also signed a pretty good undergraduate transfer in Jemarl Baker, a 6-4 guard who came from Kentucky and will be eligible to play in 2020-21.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:NBC Sports:

13. ARIZONA
WHO’S COMING IN: Nico Mannion, Josh Green, Max Hazzard, Terry Armstrong, Christian Koloko, Zeke Nnaji, Stone Gettings
Do they not realize they're supposed to include a blurb about the dark cloud hanging over our program?

And LOL at Hazzard as a projected starter over BWill.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:NBC Sports:

13. ARIZONA
Do they not realize they're supposed to include a blurb about the dark cloud hanging over our program?

And LOL at Hazzard as a projected starter over BWill.
Obligatory: "Miller, who somehow still has a job!"

Also, yes - lol.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

I continue to be shocked by how Kansas is ranked on every poll I see. I don't really see how Kansas can be considered any higher than a top 12 Team. I just feel like they lost so much in Vick and Lawson off a team that underachieved. I think Dotson is very good but they aren't adding anything of note. Their starting 5 will be good and maybe I value depth a little too much but I don't feel they have a much better team that us and they are consistently 5-8 spots higher than us.

Note: I just read this and realized I am complaining about the positioning of other teams in preseason polls in in May. What have I become?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:I continue to be shocked by how Kansas is ranked on every poll I see. I don't really see how Kansas can be considered any higher than a top 12 Team. I just feel like they lost so much in Vick and Lawson off a team that underachieved. I think Dotson is very good but they aren't adding anything of note. Their starting 5 will be good and maybe I value depth a little too much but I don't feel they have a much better team that us and they are consistently 5-8 spots higher than us.

Note: I just read this and realized I am complaining about the positioning of other teams in preseason polls in in May. What have I become?
Yeah, Kansas's mantra of "we have the best front court in the nation!" is an eyebrow-raiser for me. They've got three bruisers (Doke, De Sousa, McCormack) and Mitch Lightfoot. None of those guys are shooters (despite Lightfoot's best impersonations) and you can't play two of those guys together without ruining your spacing (you thought Ayton + Ristic was a clusterfuck of spacing? At least they could hit mid range jumpers reliably). Having a bunch of guys that play the same role doesn't make a great team (or front court).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Andy Katz is a dummy

25. Arizona: The Wildcats have a highly-touted recruiting class led by Nico Mannion. The addition of UC Irvine transfer Max Hazzard is a huge add since they desperately needed experience on the wing. If this season is not disrupted by any results of an NCAA investigation then the Wildcats should be in a thick of a race for the Pac-12 title.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Feels like 10-15 is just about right for us to start the season.

We need to crush that OOC schedule and get our resume in order before Pac play starts.

And I entirely agree: Katz is not a smart man.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Expert (loosely defined) Consensus: 12th to 18th best team in the country

Wacko Arizona Fan Consensus: If Miller doesn’t make the Final Four with this team, it’s proof he’ll never make it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Expert (loosely defined) Consensus: 12th to 18th best team in the country

Wacko Arizona Fan Consensus: If Miller doesn’t make the Final Four with this team, it’s proof he’ll never make it.
I've never said the expectation should be higher than making it to an Esteemed Eighteen or a Tolerable Twelve.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Here's a fun one: Bart Torvick's preseason algorithm rankings are in... w/ Arizona @ #6 and the #1 offense.

http://barttorvik.com/trankpre.php" target="_blank

It's fun until you drill into the numbers and see how he projects our PPG distribution, see Stone Gettings as the preseason Pac-12 POY, and toss the whole thing out the window.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
I'd couched my thoughts in what I hope people would play. God forbid BWill's knee goes, we could see less from him.

Ideally, I think those are what I'd want. What circumstance allows may be different.
i got the impression that Hazzard was insurance for Bwill
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:

i got the impression that Hazzard was insurance for Bwill
More we needed a more consistent 3 point shooter on the perimeter, but insurance for BWill doesn't hurt.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

i'm so curious about Stone Gettings and if his skill will translate from Cornell to Arizona. Wondering about Ivy League transfer comps.

Shon Miller comes to mind - he was good on a bad Cornell team and became great at UConn, getting better on both sides of the floor in a more limited role. But he had an NBA level body and athleticism.

Makai Mason is a more recent example - he transferred from Yale to Baylor this past season and played very well there making second team all conference. And he might be a better example too as an offensive skill player who was limited defensively in the Ivy League. His offensive game translated to the Big XII but his defensive deficiencies were amplified.

My assumption is that Gettings, like Miller, will see similar or improved offensive efficiency with a reduced usage (both players had 30% usage at Cornell - absurdly high). While his total production will drop with his reduced minutes, his per 40 numbers could likely improve. Gettings was in the top ten in win shares per 40 min in the Ivy League with a 0.158 - a greater than 0.150 WS/40 would make him one of the most efficient contributors to the team next season.

But defensively Gettings will likely struggle as Mason did. Gettings won't get the minutes load of Mason (who played 30+), so his vulnerabilities will be more limited. The limited minutes should also help with his habit of getting into foul trouble against higher level competition. And Gettings is a smart, cerebral player who has the benefit of age and a half season of practice at Arizona under his belt. So allowing that Gettings will find himself physically outmatched at times, I still expect that he'll understand the packline and mostly be in the right place at the right time. Further offsetting the defensive concerns will be Ira Lee, one of the players who will share time with Gettings in the post. As an energy and athleticism player, Lee should be the yin to Gettings's skill-based yang.

One final note of positivity is found in this anecdote: Gettings played Auburn one game after posting a career high 39 points. Auburn 's game-plan centered on taking Gettings out of the game, smothering him on offense and forcing him into fouls on defense. It worked, with Gettings getting an inefficient 14 points before fouling out with 13 minutes to play. At the end of the season, when Gettings announced his intention to grad transfer - the 14th ranked Auburn Tigers was one of the first teams to offer him.

Anyone have any thoughts on Gettings? If there's been any reports about how he's performed in practice (or even any off the court anecdotes) - I'd love to read them.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Gettings content... working on his fitness in the 2018 offseason.

https://www.facebook.com/EpxElitePerfor ... 7891103025" target="_blank

No questions about his work ethic, fitness, or commitment to the game.

Also, fun note: Hazzard and Gettings played high school ball together (along with PJC).
And more: Gettings played for Earl Watson Elite / West Coast Elite in his AAU days... same as Nico, Josh, Ira, Jemarl Baker and walk-on Matt Weyand. Was teammates with Chance Comanche. Lots of west coast connections on our 2019-20 roster (LA kids: Hazzard, Williams, Gettings, Baker, Lee, Koloko, Weyand | PHX kids: Barcello, Mannion, Armstrong, Green | Vegas kids: Desjardins, Jeter).