Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

luteformayor2

Re: Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Post by luteformayor2 »

I didn't read this thread but can tell by it's length and the title that is bullshit.

Can we stop making stupid fucking threads like this.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

luteformayor2 wrote:I didn't read this thread but can tell by it's length and the title that is bullshit.

Amen.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Just be prepared because people will dig and find something to complain about when there's nothing on the surface to focus on.
Zero

Post by Zero »

As soon as I saw who started this thread I knew it was all bullshit.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Come on, you guys! This one is obvious. I mean a guy who lead his HS team to four straight championships, while playing whichever position on the court, potentially to the detriment of his national rankings, has GOT to be a me-first ball-hogging chemistry issue, right? Next thing you know, ODogg will start posting photos of him stoned in bed.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

NEW RULES FOR THIS FORUM

No open discussion

No opinions or thoughts that are anti-consensus

No not being a homer

No speculation, ever, without blood proof

No questioning anything, just to question it.

Nice guys, I mean girls.
az91

Post by az91 »

This thread is idiotic. The season can't start soon enough, so we can have some real discussion on here.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Bosy Billups wrote:NEW RULES FOR THIS FORUM

No open discussion

No not being a homer

Nice guys, I mean girls.
Spare us the Drama Queen act.

You don't want "open discussion", you want people who agree with you. I see plenty of "open discussion" in this thread, but when you get some blow back for your topic/post you suddenly take the role of victim! OH NO! I WAS JUST HAVING AN OPINION! WHY CAN'T I HAVE AN OPINION!

Nonsense.

Oh...and this?....
Bosy Billups wrote:But bottom line, as of today, there is an issue, or a potential issue, and it's probably w/ SJ.
Is junk.

as of today, _____ is true, or potentially true.

you can fill in the blanks with anything and you've got a 'true' statement.

I'm not even talking about whether there IS an issue, just the way you've chosen to phrase it is junk. Again, you don't want a discussion, you want to be right and you want people to agree with you.
gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:But bottom line, as of today, there is an issue, or a potential issue, and it's probably w/ SJ.
Actually, you haven't demonstrated this yet. But I love how you constructed that escape hatch with "potentially."

Funny isn't it.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

No open discussion

No not being a homer

Nice guys, I mean girls.
Discuss anything you want. Just be prepared to be ridiculed if your opinion/theory is wholly without merit.

And speculation is fine, but if it's based on nothing more than the foul emanations of your own anus, then be prepared to see people tell you that your shit stinks.

Did you honestly think that you were just going to throw out this theory and everyone was going to tell you what a genius you are?

This. Thread. Is. An. Abortion. Don't get butthurt when people point that out. There's far more evidence that this thread sucks a syphilitic penis than Stanley Johnson is some kind of bad teammate.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No open discussion

No not being a homer

Nice guys, I mean girls.
Just so you know, when you submit this post, you sign up for Percy status.

As if it's the board's fault for being some kind of "herd" when, in fact, you're the one creating consensus by claiming something so baseless that there's no option but for everyone to agree that there's no real open discussion to be had. It isn't about "blood proof." You could argue for an unpopular opinion. Many of us do that all the time, and we disagree with one another. But you're just speculating on a circumstance without giving any reason for our consideration. If I start a thread arguing that Miller's comments about chemistry point to the unwillingness of York, Pitts, and Allen to accept their roles on this year's team, that discussion won't go anywhere, either.
Last edited by Longhorned on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

We need a thread about Mayes. Or Kreal.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

No open discussion

No not being a homer

Nice guys, I mean girls.
The new board has developed enough where we have are beginning to get Percys. YES! SUCCESS!
Zero

Post by Zero »

What a joke.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The responses from some of you in this thread is making me think twice about starting a"Sean Miller may have herpes" thread

I am entitled to my opinion!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Larry Scott has hemorrhoids.

I am entitled to my opinion!!!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Larry Scott is a hemorrhoid.

Stanley Johnson is a great teammate by all accounts.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Zero

Post by Zero »

I heard he just drank the last of the milk and put it back in the fridge and didn't refill the Brita pitcher. We are doomed and will flame out in the first round.

Damn you Stanley!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Puerco wrote:Come on, you guys! This one is obvious. I mean a guy who lead his HS team to four straight championships, while playing whichever position on the court, potentially to the detriment of his national rankings, has GOT to be a me-first ball-hogging chemistry issue, right? Next thing you know, ODogg will start posting photos of him stoned in bed.
Still strokin that hard on for me eh, Puerco?

I know there aren't chemistry issues or other issues with SJ, aside from the fact that he is a highly regarded freshman with alot of attention on him.

If you or others are looking for Josiah-ish problems, there aren't any there.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

97cats wrote:FTR -- Johnson lives with Ristic and Allen
Yeah, but Johnson is the problem, based on stuff people are hearing, which is based on ... I dunno .. free-basing.
Right where I want to be.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Underrated and underappreciated aspect of Chemistry is, while important to structure on offense, helping to create open shots, defensive scrambling chaos, and precision passing, it's actually of much more importance to defense, it's timing, rotations, exactness and type of help, the spacing and positioning for rebounding positioning, and secondary recovery should an offensive board be given up.

Knowing Miller, his emphasis on defense, and exactly who Arizona lost defensively last year, I think it's incredibly superficial to think of Miller's stressing of chemistry as an offensive issue stemming from selfishness, and not defensive issues stemming from losing two of the top-5 defenders in the nation, unfamiliarity to new roles and positions, and developed timing and precision to defend at an elite level without fouling.

Last year spoiled us. The defense will never come that easily again.

Playing structured defense as a unit of 8 rotation players is difficult. Add to this the turnover, the evolution of roles, and Miller's emphasis on contesting without reckless abandon or fouls, and you have my interpretation of Millers early chemistry emphasis.

Defense

Not offense.

But that's just my opinion.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:
Puerco wrote:Come on, you guys! This one is obvious. I mean a guy who lead his HS team to four straight championships, while playing whichever position on the court, potentially to the detriment of his national rankings, has GOT to be a me-first ball-hogging chemistry issue, right? Next thing you know, ODogg will start posting photos of him stoned in bed.
Still strokin that hard on for me eh, Puerco?

I know there aren't chemistry issues or other issues with SJ, aside from the fact that he is a highly regarded freshman with alot of attention on him.

If you or others are looking for Josiah-ish problems, there aren't any there.
Sarcasm, ODogg. Miss me, don't you?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Nope. But me being referenced by you in several posts over different threads shows you do.

I am so honored.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

At the R&B game it felt like SJ was out of sync with his teammates. They didn't seem to pass much to him and vice versa. You can just tell when a team is happy and playing together and I def got the SJ against the world vibe. Good news is everyone else look to be working together besides parker.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Olsondogg wrote:Nope. But me being referenced by you in several posts over different threads shows you do.

I am so honored.
Good. My mission is complete then.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

elriop20 wrote:At the R&B game it felt like SJ was out of sync with his teammates. They didn't seem to pass much to him and vice versa. You can just tell when a team is happy and playing together and I def got the SJ against the world vibe. Good news is everyone else look to be working together besides parker.
Miller agrees with you, and what he said about SJ after the game (from above):

"What we're trying to teach him is all the intricacies of college defense and how to play with other good players and utilize our offense to create good opportunities," Miller said. "If you watch us 10 days from now or three weeks from now, I would hope you'd see him using our offense to be more efficient and be a better defender. And he'll do that every day."

But Johnson is just 18, and has been "the man" his whole life on the court. He'll adjust.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

JMarkJohns wrote:Underrated and underappreciated aspect of Chemistry is, while important to structure on offense, helping to create open shots, defensive scrambling chaos, and precision passing, it's actually of much more importance to defense, it's timing, rotations, exactness and type of help, the spacing and positioning for rebounding positioning, and secondary recovery should an offensive board be given up.

Knowing Miller, his emphasis on defense, and exactly who Arizona lost defensively last year, I think it's incredibly superficial to think of Miller's stressing of chemistry as an offensive issue stemming from selfishness, and not defensive issues stemming from losing two of the top-5 defenders in the nation, unfamiliarity to new roles and positions, and developed timing and precision to defend at an elite level without fouling.

Last year spoiled us. The defense will never come that easily again.

Playing structured defense as a unit of 8 rotation players is difficult. Add to this the turnover, the evolution of roles, and Miller's emphasis on contesting without reckless abandon or fouls, and you have my interpretation of Millers early chemistry emphasis.

Defense

Not offense.

But that's just my opinion.

Thank you very much for this JMJ. I didn't read into it the way some have but even if there is a hint of the reference there - this makes much more sense. It's too early to say it any other way. In my very uneducated but not so humble opinion.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

As a freshman, Johnson won't be taking Organic Chemistry, that is a Sophomore subject. Organic Chem is the one that turned me from a Chem/Physics major to Engineering. If he stays around for his sophomore year (yeah, right!) he will have proven that he is ready for Organic Chemistry.

Freshman Physical Chemistry is pretty straightforward if you can remember the consequences of spin and charge; I understand he is already intimately familiar with the weights so picking up the valences should be easy. He's gonna excite the fans and put the whole team into a higher energy orbit.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

From a source based on early practices:

Stanley Johnson: It’s going to take the first part of the season for him to find his groove and be the stud we’re all expecting. Don’t expect that player out of the gate. His size and strength is obvious and formidable. He can go anywhere he wants on the floor and nobody is going to keep him from that spot. He still needs to realize that this team has a ton of offensive weapons and he doesn’t need to be the primary scorer all the time. He is a great passer, but doesn’t do it very much. On the occasions that he does, it works out great, especially when he’s throwing an alley-oop to Rondae. He is capable of knocking most shots down, including the 3-ball, but needs to learn to take them within the flow of the offense.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

A freshman will need time to become accustomed to working with other high level players and knowing his role on the team?

That is simply shocking...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

That is a source?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the team is sick of playing against and beating the crap out of each other -- when it's someone else and:

McConnell
Johnson
Jefferson
Ashley
Tarczewski

are playing together, Arizona and Johnson will be HUGE.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I just hope we don't lose the secret scrimmage though...it was disastrous for us last year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:A freshman will need time to become accustomed to working with other high level players and knowing his role on the team?

That is simply shocking...
Yeah, it's a wonder Miller keeps bringing them in. Just asking for trouble.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Lay off on Miller. He's just not as focused on freshman as we all were last year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I googled: Sean Miller freshman chemistry aaron gordon rondae hollis-jefferson

and got this, don't get the reference.

Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Merkin wrote:Just reading between the lines from Miller's quotes on SJ.
More like reading into it way too much.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Question: "Rondae, what's your scouting report on Stanley Johnson?"
RHJ: "My scouting report? He's one of the best of the best"
Question: "How do you guard him?"
RHJ: "You can't."
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Olsondogg wrote:Question: "Rondae, what's your scouting report on Stanley Johnson?"
RHJ is certainly confirming how selfish SJ is, he won't let people guard him.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Question: "Rondae, what's your scouting report on Stanley Johnson?"
Haha, this was a real LOL.

Okay, I'm convinced the issue isn't with him, it's with the bench players. Probably the guards, is my hunch.

Fix? Let Pitts Red-Shirt

Sincerely,

The Chemist
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Haha!

I'm just waiting till November 14th. We'll beat Mount Saint Marys by 30, and we'll all have a good time arguing about how it should have been 50 if we were any good. Can't wait.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

luteformayor2 wrote:I didn't read this thread but can tell by it's length and the title that is bullshit.

Clicked on page 2 to catch up on recent history.

Great post! Don't need to read anymore. :)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I know Stanley Johnson;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
But trust me.... You don't.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
This is how bad info gets passed around.
If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do.
Cos some fans believe anything they hear.
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

Clearly this is the biggest problem. We have all the talent in the world, but clearly with SJ in chemistry disappears.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

So...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He still is getting passed the ball. Let's see how long that lasts.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I really hoped jack a three would end with Lyons. Don't let that name get stuck to you Stanley...
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Merkin wrote:He still is getting passed the ball. Let's see how long that lasts.
i did notice a few times in the 2nd half where stanley was wide open on the wing, arms in the air, clap clap, yo i'm open, etc. and no one dished to him. not worth reading too much into at this point, but... yeah, let's see how long that lasts, too.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

He needs to earn his stripes before the chemistry is solidified.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

R-E-L-A-X
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We are too good, too deep, and have too many options for Stanley to fall into a chuck'em trap. He'll find that if he does what he does well on this team, he will get tons of opportunities. He is our best pure late-in-shot-clock-need-an-iso player already, and will only get better. Lyons was Lyons because we had to have Lyons on the court. Plus, despite this bizarro thread, I have never heard complaints about Stanley Johnson being a head case. Strong willed, confident, used to being the man...sure. But he will conform to the needs of this team, and within that conformity, he will learn how this system will actually give him fantastic, efficient opportunities. If he keeps seeing the cutter, then becoming that cutter the next possession, with the passing ability of BAsh and TJ...he and Rondae are going to have numerous one on one opportunities at the basket.

Stanley will get his. And he will learn he can't just make it happen as he wants like in high school, so he will come to the fold. He isn't a bad kid, or a selfish kid. He's just a star with an eye on the league. Thing is, we have a whole team of those, and they learn. This team was already coming around and feeding off the energy of the baseline screen layups and steal-to-dunks. Playing correctly within this system means winning, and winning is a lot of fun