UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: UA Basketball 2014-2015 Discussion

Post by gumby »

Dosia wrote:Dookie V puts us at #6. Lmao
He's still exhausted from playing Corrado Soprano and Larry David while trying to keep up on college basketball.

(Yes, I just recently saw that episode)
Right where I want to be.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Main Event wrote:
Tarc not in the top 100? Huh?
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Tarc impressed with Victor.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ona-102814
"Craig is an unbelievable worker," said Tarczewski. "I've never seen someone rebound as well as him."
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

gumby wrote:Tarc impressed with Victor.

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... ona-102814
"Craig is an unbelievable worker," said Tarczewski. "I've never seen someone rebound as well as him."
Sounds like he's got heart.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

A poorly written article by Gottlieb, where he leaves out mentioning 1 of the 1 seeds UA beat in 1997 prior to Indy, confuses the recruiting timeline, compares UA's style to Cuse's 2/3 zone, and speculates that York is starting over Stanley Johnson.

Enjoy if you can:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... t-well-see

Oh, and he blames an editor for the timeline mistake. Damn editors!!!
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I remember a lot of strong disagreements on the old site about Doug.

I like the guy. He seems to always give Arizona plenty of run when he's writing/on tv/radio & he seems to be pretty well informed on Southern California since he's from there. I think you're being a little harsh...but that's just me.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Probably am being harsh as I am not a Gottlieb fan at all. Dude is scum.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CBSSports Top 100 Players of 2014-2015

#9 • RONDAE HOLLIS-JEFFERSON | ARIZONA

We expect RHJ to take a big step forward after coming off the bench in 2013-14. No player in college basketball is a better source of relentless energy, and if he can add a midrange jumper to the mix Arizona's offensive balance will be tough to defend. -- SV

#10 • STANLEY JOHNSON | ARIZONA

As is also the case at Wisconsin, it's difficult to pick between Arizona's top two players. Obviously, Hollis-Jefferson got the nod here. But the difference between he and Johnson is slim, and Johnson is widely regarded as the superior NBA prospect even if Hollis-Jefferson might be the better college player. -- GP

#42 • BRANDON ASHLEY | ARIZONA

Arizona started the season 21-0 before losing Ashley to a broken foot in February against Cal. After his injury, the Wildcats went 12-5. Ashley provides the Wildcats with a lot of versatility, especially on the defensive end; he has the athleticism and length to defend both on the perimeter or in the paint. His return is a big part of why the Wildcats are among the favorites to win the NCAA title. -- SV

#95 • KALEB TARCZEWSKI | ARIZONA

Blame the other two guys voting for this list for the top returning rebounder -- and second-leading returning scorer -- from a consensus top-four team being this low. To earn respect from Norlander and Vecenie, Tarzcewski might out to transfer to a Big West school. -- GP
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NYCat wrote: Tarzcewski might out to transfer
Out? Perhaps "ought"?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

If there are 41 players in college better than Brandon Ashley it is clear I do not know the first thing about basketball.

Go Cats!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Catstatic wrote:If there are 41 players in college better than Brandon Ashley it is clear I do not know the first thing about basketball.

Go Cats!!
If there are 100 players better than the 5th year senior point guard of the #2 team in the country, I don't know jack shit about college basketball.

BTFD!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Talented Arizona Wildcats build more expectations

By JOHN MARSHALL

AP Basketball WriterOctober 29, 2014

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/29/3776 ... rylink=cpy

TUCSON, Ariz. — Losing the two best players from a team that came within a few seconds of reaching the Final Four would be a crushing blow for most teams.

At Arizona, where talent seemingly comes through the McKale Center in a revolving door, the expectations have gone up, not down.

"I think we have the makings of a team that can go on and do some great things," Wildcats coach Sean Miller said.

The Wildcats were predicted for big things last season and came through, winning 33 games while coming within a last-second shot to just miss the Final Four for the second time in three seasons.

Arizona lost two key contributors from that team: Guard and leader Nick Johnson, and athletic freshman forward Aaron Gordon.

And yet, the Wildcats are considered to be on the short list of favorites to win this season's national title.

Look at their roster and it's easy to understand.

Forward Brandon Ashley is back after missing the final 16 games of last season with a broken foot. He's healthy, though he may get extra rest early in the season to ease back into things.

Gritty, steady point guard T.J. McConnell returns for a second season. Sharpshooter Gabe York and play-it-at-level-11 forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson also return.

And, of course, there's another sterling recruiting class by Miller.

Stanley Johnson leads the way. Like Gordon a year ago, the 6-foot-7 forward appears ready to step in and play at a high level right away.

The class also includes speedy guard Parker Jackson-Cartwright, 7-foot center Dusan Ristic of Serbia and junior college transfer Kadeem Allen.

Even for a storied program like Arizona's, expectations will be ratcheted up this season.

"Everybody is going to be looking to knock you off. You have to certainly embrace that and acknowledge it, but you have to take the challenge as well," Ashley said. "With such a high statement of how talented our team is, you have to embrace that."

Here are a few more things to look for as Arizona heads into the 2014-15 season:

JOHNSON ARRIVES: Arizona has had some heralded freshman in five seasons under Miller and Johnson has a chance to become the best of the bunch. As Gordon did last season, he arrives in the desert with a polished game and incredible athleticism. Johnson could be a nightmare match-up for opposing teams, able to score inside against smaller players, get around bigger players on the perimeter. He also should be a better outside shooter than Gordon was.

MCCONNELL'S BACK: McConnell was heralded as the true point guard Arizona had been missing and didn't disappoint. The 6-foot-1 transfer from Duquesne added a dose of steadiness and intensity to the Wildcats, orchestrating the offense and hounding opposing guards at the top of the defense. He averaged 8.4 points and 5.3 assists per game, but his value goes well beyond numbers.

ZEUS' PROGRESSION: Kaleb Tarczewski made some impressive strides as a sophomore last season. A little raw as a freshman, the 7-footer known as Zeus had improved footwork last season, shot better away from the basket and increased his free-throw shooting from 63 to 76 percent. With another offseason to work on his game, he will be a handful for opposing teams.

THE DEFENSE REIGNS: Miller has stressed the defensive side of the ball since arriving in the desert — well, even back to his Xavier days — and the Wildcats have become one of the stingiest teams in the country. Arizona was fourth nationally in shooting defense, holding opponents to 38 percent, and was sixth in scoring, allowing 58.6 points per game. With the roster Miller has assembled, the Wildcats could be even better this season.

ASHLEY'S RETURN: Ashley's injury against California last season was a huge blow for the Wildcats. They still made it to the regional final, but Ashley could have been the player to push them over the edge. The 6-foot-9 junior is a difficult match-up on offense, almost impossible to stop down low — on the post or offensive rebounds — and is a good perimeter shooter after working on his shot last season. He may be even more valuable on defense, a long-armed shot blocker inside and agile enough to keep up with smaller players on the outside. Having Ashley healthy will be a huge boost to Arizona.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/29/3776 ... p=/99/181/
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Player rankings are shit. Since when did they lose sight of the "freshman focus"?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

HiCat wrote:Talented Arizona Wildcats build more expectations

By JOHN MARSHALL

AP Basketball WriterOctober 29, 2014

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/29/3776 ... rylink=cpy
"Everybody is going to be looking to knock you off. You have to certainly embrace that and acknowledge it, but you have to take the challenge as well," Ashley said. "With such a high statement of how talented our team is, you have to embrace that."
I know this has been said a few times, but I love how no matter which player gives an interview you can hear a little Miller speak in his answer.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Every player interview basically has a statement about "All in" or "honor the process" or "players program" etc.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UAEebs86

Arizona ranked #2 in AP Poll

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I remember a lot of strong disagreements on the old site about Doug.

I like the guy. He seems to always give Arizona plenty of run when he's writing/on tv/radio & he seems to be pretty well informed on Southern California since he's from there. I think you're being a little harsh...but that's just me.
I am one of those who do like Gottlieb and I didn't think that was a particularly good article. Not horrible, just shallow and without a ton of substance.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Olsondogg wrote:Probably am being harsh as I am not a Gottlieb fan at all. Dude is scum.
haha, I love and respect your strong talking-head/reporter hate.

This upcoming season is going to be awesome though. Will definitely be a classic season, and possibly and hopefully, a legendary season around these parts. Fucking 14 years needs to end! I'm sick of reading click-bait, meaningless player-ranking articles and looking at empty McKale reno-pics. I can't wait for the games..the suffocating D, the massive frontline just dominating most teams, raucous McKale crowds, Miller commanding the sideline with piercing intensity...gonna be a hell of a ride for 6 months.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't necessarily hate all talking heads and reporters. Gottlieb and Davis are two that I absolutely cannot stand. Most of the reporters on ESPN read summaries of things and change around their wording and slap their name to it (see Eamonn Brennan's synopsis of PAC media day as an example).

I like Bilas, but he has his head way up Coach K's arse, and also can't get rid of his hard-on for the NCAA. The nice part is that he keeps that to twitter, and when he's on GameDay he's all class keeping his opinion out of it.

I do hate fluff pieces. Most people want more UA articles and attention and figure "any press is good press" for the team. I disagree. Fluff sucks, and it means nothing except that at least we get to complain or talk about something until games actually start.

I am enjoying the fact that, as I've stated before, the two players in the starting 5 that are most ignored by the press are the two most important players on this year's team.

Can't wait....
Zero

Post by Zero »

I usually enjoy Gottliebs radio show. And, he picked us to win it all last year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:Every player interview basically has a statement about "All in" or "honor the process" or "players program" etc.
Hence the brewing chemistry explosion, sources say.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Olsondogg wrote:Fluff sucks,
except for fluffernutters and Fluffhead!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
UAEebs86

Ristic cleared

Post by UAEebs86 »

Didn't realize this was an issue:
-JB
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Arizona freshman Dusan Ristic has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season, sources told ESPN.

The NCAA was looking into amateurism issues involving the 7-foot, 245-pound Serbian big man since he played limited minutes in the Adriatic League and the EuroCup, a source told ESPN.

Ristic never signed a pro contract and wound up spending last season at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kan.

Ristic will join a strong front line in Tucson that already includes 7-foot center Kaleb Tarczewski and forwards Brandon Ashley and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

Ristic will give Arizona coach Sean Miller a different look than the other big men in the program. He's long and skilled -- and is able to score in the low post and also step out and make shots from the perimeter. He was the MVP of the Nike International Junior Tournament in 2013 after averaging 17.7 points and 9.5 rebounds per game.

The Wildcats are ranked No. 2 in the country in the Associated Press preseason poll that was released on Friday.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... -play-ncaa
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

8 days till an exhibition, 13 days to a real game.

hurry the hell up and get here Basketball season.

::::p.s. I didn't even know Ristic had possible eligibility issues, but glad they cleared him.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Tomorrow we have a secret scrimmage to talk about!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

PieceOfMeat wrote:8 days till an exhibition, 13 days to a real game.

::::p.s. I didn't even know Ristic had possible eligibility issues, but glad they cleared him.
No Shit!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:::::p.s. I didn't even know Ristic had possible eligibility issues, but glad they cleared him.
I don't think anyone in the AD was really concerned about it. The NCAA is just slow and stupid with even the most clear cut cases.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bump.

Can't wait.

Football season is always prelude till the real UA sport starts.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

After last night's game? Whooo baby, can't wait!!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

CalStateTempe wrote:

Bump.

Can't wait.

Come on, CST. That's a bunch of crap. Football team is 6-2, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Don't be so spoiled.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:::::p.s. I didn't even know Ristic had possible eligibility issues, but glad they cleared him.
I don't think anyone in the AD was really concerned about it. The NCAA is just slow and stupid with even the most clear cut cases.
Yes. They can basically announce a foreign player has been "cleared" by the NCAA, as all foreign players have to go through the process.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:
Ah just typical NCAA then, glad I wasn't just in the dark about something like that. Which wouldn't surprise me, if I had been, since sometimes I don't pay too much attention to off season stuff.
CalStateTempe wrote: Bump.

Can't wait.

Ah yes, that point in an Arizona Wildcat fan's Football season where he decides that "no, this won't be the year we've all been waiting for" and turns towards Basketball :lol:
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote: Come on, CST. That's a bunch of crap. Football team is 6-2, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Don't be so spoiled.
I'd tend toward thinking it's less a CST (or any fan) problem and more the nature of the football beast. Could we still win the South, go to the pac12 title game, and who knows what else? Sure, we're not mathematically eliminated. But....what are the odds? I'd say pretty low. At that point, why shouldn't a Cat fan get excited about Basketball, while still enjoying football and caring of course, rather than get excited about....what....another possible Vegas bowl if we're lucky?

Until football has a real playoff with a lot more teams....I find it hard to blame fans who want to get excited over Basketball, especially AZ fans, given our history.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Ah yes, that point in an Arizona Wildcat fan's Football season where he decides that "no, this won't be the year we've all been waiting for" and turns towards Basketball :lol:
Been that way for me since Larry Smith left the football program and Lute took over the basketball program so going on 30 years and I don't see it changing in the near future. RR just can't get the recruits to get over the hump.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote: Ah yes, that point in an Arizona Wildcat fan's Football season where he decides that "no, this won't be the year we've all been waiting for" and turns towards Basketball :lol:
Been that way for me since Larry Smith left the football program and Lute took over the basketball program so going on 30 years and I don't see it changing in the near future. RR just can't get the recruits to get over the hump.
For the most part, same here. Though Tomey did get me awfully excited a couple years.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Basketball is too exciting to not shift your focus to now. Just have to accept that in football we'll be like 8-4 in the Vegas bowl against Colorado state.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Seriously jonesing for hoops. I see the UW-St. Martin's game is upcoming on the Pac-12 Network. Better DVR it!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Glad our exhibition game is on the Pac12 network Sunday
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ASUHATER! wrote:Glad our exhibition game is on the Pac12 network Sunday
Odogg and Odogg Jr. will be at McKale...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Best time of the year when both the football and the hoops team is playing. Fun having in week games and then the weekend football game.

I will be at homecoming Saturday and then the hoops game befire making the trek home Sunday night. Not sure you could ask for a better weekend.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UA Wildcat basketball players left off elite lists

1 hour ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Just in case the Arizona Wildcats are feeling comfortable with all those No. 2 and No. 3 rankings, this popped up today:

-- No Wildcats were named on the Associated Press' preseason all-America team. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Stanley Johnson did receive votes but it's not clear how many since the AP listed players outside the top five alphabetically.

Other players receiving votes who will face Arizona this season: Kevin Pangos (Gonzaga), Caris LeVert (Michigan), Chasson Randle (Stanford), Josh Scott (Colorado) and Delon Wright (Utah).

-- Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson were named to ESPN's list of players ranked between 39-20 (meaning they did not make the elite 1-19).

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/u ... eb7a9.html
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The only thing more irrelevant that preseason rankings for teams are preseason rankings of players.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Puerco wrote: Come on, CST. That's a bunch of crap. Football team is 6-2, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Don't be so spoiled.
I'd tend toward thinking it's less a CST (or any fan) problem and more the nature of the football beast. Could we still win the South, go to the pac12 title game, and who knows what else? Sure, we're not mathematically eliminated. But....what are the odds? I'd say pretty low. At that point, why shouldn't a Cat fan get excited about Basketball, while still enjoying football and caring of course, rather than get excited about....what....another possible Vegas bowl if we're lucky?

Until football has a real playoff with a lot more teams....I find it hard to blame fans who want to get excited over Basketball, especially AZ fans, given our history.
I don't mind anyone getting excited over UA hoops. Hell, I'm excited about it year-round. But you don't have to be excited about one over the other, unless you've got a really short attention span.

You also don't have to label one sport as the 'real' UA sport. Even if we're talking about things from purely the perspective of team accomplishments, I think softball, baseball, and swimming might have an argument to be considered above basketball. But why bother? Why not cheer for all of them?

EDIT: sorry, wanted to mention that I'm not talking about liking one sport more than another. That's natural. I just don't like when you have to express your excitement for one team by denigrating the other.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Puerco wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:

I don't mind anyone getting excited over UA hoops. Hell, I'm excited about it year-round. But you don't have to be excited about one over the other, unless you've got a really short attention span.

You also don't have to label one sport as the 'real' UA sport. Even if we're talking about things from purely the perspective of team accomplishments, I think softball, baseball, and swimming might have an argument to be considered above basketball. But why bother? Why not cheer for all of them?

EDIT: sorry, wanted to mention that I'm not talking about liking one sport more than another. That's natural. I just don't like when you have to express your excitement for one team by denigrating the other.
Fair enough,and rightly so, didn't realize that's what you meant originally :D

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

cats101

Post by cats101 »

Sweet I need to go pick up a copy