let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: let's talk '20

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: I get that, Spiff, but every year there are freshmen who begin the season with lofty year-one expectations but don’t quite reach them. It takes a lot to be a first round pick.
Yeah, but in Green's case, I think physical measurables alone get him into the first round barring injury. I see him similar to Nassir Little, who was a bench guy at UNC, but still was a first round projection based on his physical talent.

Green's athleticisim, frame and length gets him a first round grade alone unless he gets injured or forgets how to dribble.
Yeah you look at Little as the downside case - both freak athletes with great length, highly touted out of high school. But the knocks on Little shouldn't apply to Green: uninterested, low BBIQ, poor feel for the game. The poor outside shooting could apply to Green, that's TBD, but plenty of NBA-bodied wings don't shoot well in college and still get drafted on upside (RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish say hello).

What will deliver for Green is his feel for the game, his engagement, and his high IQ. He's the opposite of Little in that regard. Playing alongside Mannion will only help in buttressing those strengths. So the scouts see an NBA-bodied 19 year old with great athleticism and good feel for the game (and maybe a developing jumper)... that's a top 20 pick, no doubt.
Yeah, even with Little's knocks, he still went first round. That's why I can't see Green not being a first rounder unless he implodes hugely or gets (God forbid) injured.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UNC nabs a five star center for 2020... front court is going to be loaded there, should take them out of the running for Dawson Garca.

That leaves Kansas, Missouri, Auburn, Marquette and Minnesota (along with Arizona). KU is going to get an NOA with level 1 violations. Auburn may as well (two athletes paid, two assistants caught up in the investigation, Pearl's history of NCAA violations, and the half-assed self punishment all weigh). I like our chances in a grouping of Missouri, Marquette, Minnesota, and Arizona.

Edit: Indiana also still in the running.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:UNC nabs a five star center for 2020... front court is going to be loaded there, should take them out of the running for Dawson Garca.

That leaves Kansas, Missouri, Auburn, Marquette and Minnesota (along with Arizona). KU is going to get an NOA with level 1 violations. Auburn may as well (two athletes paid, two assistants caught up in the investigation, Pearl's history of NCAA violations, and the half-assed self punishment all weigh). I like our chances in a grouping of Missouri, Marquette, Minnesota, and Arizona.

Indiana is more than in the running here. This recruitment could very well be a Miller battle to the death. Also Mizzou isn't involved, I think you meant Memphis.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Any insight Choo on how the Millers handle recruiting the same players?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Any insight Choo on how the Millers handle recruiting the same players?
Well they certainly don't talk shit about the other coach lol. Honestly this is the first major player where the Millers are going head to head, so I have no idea.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Other than proximity... does Garcia have any Hoosier ties?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:UNC nabs a five star center for 2020... front court is going to be loaded there, should take them out of the running for Dawson Garca.

Indiana is more than in the running here. This recruitment could very well be a Miller battle to the death. Also Mizzou isn't involved, I think you meant Memphis.
Memphis, not Mizzou - correct.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:Other than proximity... does Garcia have any Hoosier ties?
Not that I'm aware of.

Either way the kid has two more official visits left to use and I'd imagine Arizona & Indiana are the two schools to get those. Funny enough he took two officials to Texas & Baylor and both are no longer under consideration.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.

Either way the kid has two more official visits left to use and I'd imagine Arizona & Indiana are the two schools to get those. Funny enough he took two officials to Texas & Baylor and both are no longer under consideration.
Thanks Choo. Gotta think we have a good shot here, particularly if Zeke is a OAD.

I know he's currently a 2021 guy, but do you have any intel on Mojave King as far as where we stand? He's the guy I want above all else right now, particularly if he reclassifies.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.

Thanks Choo. Gotta think we have a good shot here, particularly if Zeke is a OAD.

I know he's currently a 2021 guy, but do you have any intel on Mojave King as far as where we stand? He's the guy I want above all else right now, particularly if he reclassifies.
All I know about both the 2021 Aussie guys is we're doing very well for both.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.

Awesome, thanks Choo. I actually think it makes a lot of sense for us to try to build out international pipelines, particularly in AUS. I think it will be easier to recruit international kids with less of an understanding of all of this NCAA/Book nonsense. And I think we've seen a consistent uptick in the quality of international recruits in the last decade plus.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Odds that Zeke is a OAD? Historically there's not a lot of players ranked out of the top 30 that get a first round selection in the draft following their freshman season. I know he's gotten some rave reviews but he's one of four quality players in our front court. Maybe he defies the odds and emerges like Zach Collins, maybe he's been under-ranked or is on a meteoric rise.

A Zeke / Brown / Lee / Koloko front court would be nice for next season.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Odds that Zeke is a OAD? Historically there's not a lot of players ranked out of the top 30 that get a first round selection in the draft following their freshman season. I know he's gotten some rave reviews but he's one of four quality players in our front court. Maybe he defies the odds and emerges like Zach Collins, maybe he's been under-ranked or is on a meteoric rise.

Depends a lot on what he shows. I think he has OAD tools, but his name isn't in that pool right now. Arizona insiders are putting him out there, but he has to show that nationally to really be a potential to leave after one.

You're 100% correct about the correlation of recruiting rank to OAD status.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Odds that Zeke is a OAD? Historically there's not a lot of players ranked out of the top 30 that get a first round selection in the draft following their freshman season. I know he's gotten some rave reviews but he's one of four quality players in our front court. Maybe he defies the odds and emerges like Zach Collins, maybe he's been under-ranked or is on a meteoric rise.

The only reason Arizona is in the position it's in with Dawson Garcia, outside of the relationship built with his circle and AAU program obviously, is the fact that Zeke is expected to be a OAD.

97cats has hinted at it here plenty of times, Zeke is going to be very good.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Not that I'm aware of.

Awesome, thanks Choo. I actually think it makes a lot of sense for us to try to build out international pipelines, particularly in AUS. I think it will be easier to recruit international kids with less of an understanding of all of this NCAA/Book nonsense. And I think we've seen a consistent uptick in the quality of international recruits in the last decade plus.
When you have a recruiting tool in Josh Green who absolutely loves U of A, it would behoove you to capitalize on that tool by pursuing his country mates who he has great relationships with.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

The only reason Arizona is in the position it's in with Dawson Garcia, outside of the relationship built with his circle and AAU program obviously, is the fact that Zeke is expected to be a OAD.

Zeke and Brown would have the inside track on starting jobs no matter how good Garcia is. Both would be high level talents with system experience, and Garcia is good, but not really that transcendant guy like Ayton who starts no matter what.

Frankly, if we could pick up a grad transfer at the 4/5 and one of Zeke/Garcia, we'd be in good shape. I'm not sure Koloko will be ready.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Zeke and Brown would have the inside track on starting jobs no matter how good Garcia is. Both would be high level talents with system experience, and Garcia is good, but not really that transcendant guy like Ayton who starts no matter what.

Frankly, if we could pick up a grad transfer at the 4/5 and one of Zeke/Garcia, we'd be in good shape. I'm not sure Koloko will be ready.
If Zeke isn't here then Garcia would likely start alongside Brown. If Zeke is here then Garcia probably isn't at all (slight chance he could commit regardless). That's the point.

Koloko has been better than expected. Good odds he can contribute in a year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Are we trying to bring in 2020 PF Terren Frank?

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... vanderbilt" target="_blank

Surprised to see us in his top four, hadn’t heard anything to date.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

YoDeFoe wrote:Are we trying to bring in 2020 PF Terren Frank?

It appears our goal is to recruit as many wings as we can order.
Terry
Puff
Walton
Zaire
and now Frank
(I'm sure I am missing some)
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

We are not recruiting Frank. I believe he is just keeping us on the list to increase his profile? I think we had talked to him a bit in the past but nothing substantive.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote:

We are not recruiting Frank. I believe he is just keeping us on the list to increase his profile? I think we had talked to him a bit in the past but nothing substantive.
Thanks, that's what I figured.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:

It appears our goal is to recruit as many wings as we can order.
Terry
Puff
Walton
Zaire
and now Frank
(I'm sure I am missing some)
Frank is a 4 and we're not recruiting him.

The 2020 guys we're on are literally just Terry, Puff, Walton, Ziaire, Garcia, and Adam Miller....and maybe Devin Askew.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So very little news on the red/blue visitors recruiting wise. A bit surprising
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

azcat49 wrote:So very little news on the red/blue visitors recruiting wise. A bit surprising
very ready for puff to commit soon. or kerwin.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

azcat49 wrote:So very little news on the red/blue visitors recruiting wise. A bit surprising
thought the same thing...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

A1RZONA wrote:
thought the same thing...
Have to assume that's the flip side of holding the event earlier. We get to see the recruits early, but it's harder to secure a commitment.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I have to believe some of them are waiting to see what NCAA sanctions fall on us.

If any of them are planning on only 1/2 years in college you wouldn't want to attend a school thats
been banned from post-season.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Soon one of them will commit. Once that happens, it will be a free-for-all and those that want to come will jump in too so to not loose their spot.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:
I have to believe some of them are waiting to see what NCAA sanctions fall on us.

If any of them are planning on only 1/2 years in college you wouldn't want to attend a school thats
been banned from post-season.
We had two uncommitted 2020 guys there and neither are in the realm of one and dones. They're both signing in November and our sanctions sure as shit won't happen by then.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Do we expect Puff to make the Nov 1 visit to UNC?

Is Walton scheduled to visit anywhere else?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:Do we expect Puff to make the Nov 1 visit to UNC?

I think he does take all his officials. Kid wants to have fun, but I wouldn't be concerned. I believe Walton is gonna take a visit to Creighton soon, once again wouldn't be concerned.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:

I think he does take all his officials. Kid wants to have fun, but I wouldn't be concerned. I believe Walton is gonna take a visit to Creighton soon, once again wouldn't be concerned.
thanks for the insight choo!
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Thanks CCC... just trying to get a feel for decision timing.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo. Puff is on campus and at practice today. We on commit watch?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Choo. Puff is on campus and at practice today. We on commit watch?
Think he's going to make us wait.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Just saw an article from Rivals implying that we are out of the running for Dawson Garcia...I don’t trust those guys as much as the 24/7 crew but still doesn’t seem ideal?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Just saw an article from Rivals implying that we are out of the running for Dawson Garcia...I don’t trust those guys as much as the 24/7 crew but still doesn’t seem ideal?
Yeah wouldn't get your hopes up with Garcia. Not sure he's a need any more with how well Koloko has looked and the hopes for Brown anyways.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Just saw an article from Rivals implying that we are out of the running for Dawson Garcia...I don’t trust those guys as much as the 24/7 crew but still doesn’t seem ideal?
Yeah wouldn't get your hopes up with Garcia. Not sure he's a need any more with how well Koloko has looked and the hopes for Brown anyways.
Koloko, Brown, Lee big man rotation next year? Ideally would want a grad transfer PF that can shoot it a bit if so, but that's not a bad group I guess.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Koloko, Brown, Lee big man rotation next year? Ideally would want a grad transfer PF that can shoot it a bit if so, but that's not a bad group I guess.
I could see going the JUCO route.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Interesting....any potential names as of now?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Interesting....any potential names as of now?
Nah, nobody now, I just think it's difficult to get a grad transfer to 1. Buy in as a bench player and 2. In our situation convince a grad transfer to come with zero shot at a NCAA tourney berth if the sanctions deem a tourney ban. With a JUCO there's more likely chance of a buy in and they'd still have another year to make the tourney.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Nah, nobody now, I just think it's difficult to get a grad transfer to 1. Buy in as a bench player and 2. In our situation convince a grad transfer to come with zero shot at a NCAA tourney berth if the sanctions deem a tourney ban. With a JUCO there's more likely chance of a buy in and they'd still have another year to make the tourney.
KU just picked up a JUCO forward and number two of the above immediately came to mind.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw this is where we're at:

Dalen Terry - Locked in
Puff Johnson - He's ours to lose, but UNC looms
Kerwin Walton - Miller has a very good relationship with his HS coach, but once again UNC looms, and the threat of sanctions may turn the tide in their favor. Dawson Garcia eliminating us didn't help either.
Ziaire Williams - I wouldn't get your hopes up, but we're still in it
Adam Miller - Good news is sounds like ASU ain't it for him any more, but is likely Illinois bound

We're about to offer a post player who is going to reclassify to 2020, but I have no idea where we'd stand after the offer, since he'll have tons of options. I've already heard we've reached out to a guy we should've been on from the start because he's a perfect fit for Miller, but I'm not sure if that ultimately goes anywhere (probably depends on Walton). The KU sanctions have scared some recruits needless to say.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw this is where we're at:

Dalen Terry - Locked in
Kerwin Walton - Miller has a very good relationship with his HS coach, but once again UNC looms, and the threat of sanctions may turn the tide in their favor. Dawson Garcia eliminating us didn't help either.
Adam Miller - Good news is sounds like ASU ain't it for him any more, but is likely Illinois bound

We're about to offer a post player who is going to reclassify to 2020, but I have no idea where we'd stand after the offer, since he'll have tons of options. I've already heard we've reached out to a guy we should've been on from the start because he's a perfect fit for Miller, but I'm not sure if that ultimately goes anywhere (probably depends on Walton). The KU sanctions have scared some recruits needless to say.
once again choo, thanks for the info!
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Dalen Terry - Locked in

appreciate it as always Choo. Would love to get Puff locked in, and then figure things out from there. Doesn't sound like anybody else we should be particularly hopeful for. Maybe some international kids we go after other than the 2021 Australian duo? A bit concerning on the whole though...
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Dalen Terry - Locked in

Thanks CCC.

The Miller recruitment has the feel of CSM being CSM. Just feels like the kid likes AZ but is being pulled away by other forces. Miller has succeeded in similar situations before.

Our lack of a PG next year has to have some interest to him as well.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Dalen Terry - Locked in

is that player jaylen clark? because if so, I agree re: being a fit with Miller.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This guy is technically 2021, but he's fully expected to reclassify to 2020.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UNC picked up a commitment from RJ Davis, who is a 3 point dominant guard like Kerwin Walton, so that may take them out for his services.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:UNC picked up a commitment from RJ Davis, who is a 3 point dominant guard like Kerwin Walton, so that may take them out for his services.
Gotta think their class at this point is just missing a wing...think they're gonna continue to go hard on Zaire and Puff, but hoping we can at least get one of those two.