The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by Olsondogg »

Majerus was who's homerun hire?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Majerus was who's homerun hire?
https://usctrojans.com/news/2004/12/15/ ... eason.aspx" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm not a big Lavin guy.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute always liked Lavin, remember when he intentionally lost to Lavin's UCLA PAC tourney team when Lavin was about to get fired?

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Lute always liked Lavin, remember when he intentionally lost to Lavin's UCLA PAC tourney team when Lavin was about to get fired?

Lavin is a good guy, terrible coach. Still much better than Alford, though, so there's that.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Nice 19-20 preview summary from the Daily Star here.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 4e2a7.html

Lot of early season superlatives for Arizona, a consensus ranking of the high teens to edge of top 25, and some elite praise for Nico Mannion (who Liddy's projects as a second team all american in his freshman season).
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Some comments on and from Max Hazzard - from studying entrepreneurship at Eller, to his comfort in shooting NBA range threes, to the battles that he and Nico have shared going against each other at the PG spot in practice.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure already mentioned, but Baker is filing a waiver asking for immediate eligibility.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... mUN4ER1QiA" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:Not sure already mentioned, but Baker is filing a waiver asking for immediate eligibility.

Guess he wants to play before the hammer comes down. Can't blame him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Not sure already mentioned, but Baker is filing a waiver asking for immediate eligibility.

Guess he wants to play before the hammer comes down. Can't blame him.
More likely, we need an extra wing without BWill. With BWill, time wasn't really there. Without him, that extra MPG is valuable.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Missed his freshman season with a knee injury and the start of his sophomore season with the same - struggled throughout his sophomore year to play healthy. Doesn't fit the letter of the law for a medical exception though, which is that the athlete has a season ending injury prior to the completion of 30% of the games for the prior season (Baker had his injury before the season began and attempted to come back and play through it - flipped timeline and played for more than 30% of the games, though sparingly for most). Had Baker sat out last season, he would have been eligible for the two year non-participation exception.

Can't see this getting approved. Would be much appreciate for depth at ball handling, perimeter shooting, and defense.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Missed his freshman season with a knee injury and the start of his sophomore season with the same - struggled throughout his sophomore year to play healthy. Doesn't fit the letter of the law for a medical exception though, which is that the athlete has a season ending injury prior to the completion of 30% of the games for the prior season (Baker had his injury before the season began and attempted to come back and play through it - flipped timeline and played for more than 30% of the games, though sparingly for most). Had Baker sat out last season, he would have been eligible for the two year non-participation exception.

Can't see this getting approved. Would be much appreciate for depth at ball handling, perimeter shooting, and defense.
Is there an immediate eligibility exception for consecutive medical redshirts? Otherwise, extra years for medical redshirts are only granted at the exhaustion of eligibility. Or at least they used to be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Mentioned it awhile ago my man. No reason to be optimistic or pessimistic about it yet.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Let's say Baker's eligible immediately. Is he good enough to get big minutes this season? Would he be our third best guard?

I've seen very little footage of Baker, certainly not enough to have a strong opinion on his prospects.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Let's say Baker's eligible immediately. Is he good enough to get big minutes this season? Would he be our third best guard?

I've seen very little footage of Baker, certainly not enough to have a strong opinion on his prospects.
Yes, he would probably start at the 2 if eligible and provide another option at the 1 when Nico is on the bench.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Let's say Baker's eligible immediately. Is he good enough to get big minutes this season? Would he be our third best guard?

Yes, he would have a good role. He had a 10-15 mpg role on a Kentucky team that made a good tourney run last year. He would at least do the same for us.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Over 500 Red Blue tickets available still. Top 2 rows are available in lots of upper sections. Can't remember the last time it didn't sell out
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:Over 500 Red Blue tickets available still. Top 2 rows are available in lots of upper sections. Can't remember the last time it didn't sell out
Frustrating. Last season sucked, sure, but this is a heck of a team we have here and they deserve our support.

I'll be watching from home in SoCal to the aggrievement of my wife ("It's already started?? Wait this isn't even a real game?!")
prh

Post by prh »

When did it switch from GA to assigned seating?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

prh wrote:When did it switch from GA to assigned seating?
3 or 4 years ago
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Yes, he would probably start at the 2 if eligible and provide another option at the 1 when Nico is on the bench.
Wow. So it's potentially big news if he's eligible. Fingers crossed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Wow. So it's potentially big news if he's eligible. Fingers crossed.
Any time you can gain a player which would make Dylan Smith see more minutes on the bench it's big news.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

September 25, 2019

TUCSON - On the eve of the eve of the annual Red-Blue event at the McKale Center, rumors have circulated that YoDeFoe plans on starting a "This Year... 2019-20" thread in order to transition from the "Next Year... 2019-20" thread, whose very title no longer bears a logical correspondence to ongoing conversations about the current season.

An unnamed source, thought by some to be Alieberman, has expressed worry that ongoing references to conversations in the existing thread could exacerbate confusion between past and present, creating a potential dysphoria that threatens place the history in the future.

"I worry about my kids," said AzGreg. "We talk about Greta Thunberg, but nobody is talking about how much ChooChooCat is confusing our children."

In the journal Shit, one team of scientists has published a model showing how the Cherry Avenue parking garage could become a vortex that tears apart time itself. Spaceman Spiff did not respond to requests for comment.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

:lol:
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
"I worry about my kids," said AzGreg. "We talk about Greta Thunberg, but nobody is talking about how much ChooChooCat is confusing our children."
I'm f***ing dying :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:
An unnamed source, thought by some to be Alieberman, has expressed worry that ongoing references to conversations in the existing thread could exacerbate confusion between past and present, creating a potential dysphoria that threatens place the history in the future.
Fucking whistleblowers.

I'm guessing your "source" was Merkin. That guy loves to talk (judging by the amount of posts he has here)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:September 25, 2019

TUCSON - On the eve of the eve of the annual Red-Blue event at the McKale Center, rumors have circulated that YoDeFoe plans on starting a "This Year... 2019-20" thread in order to transition from the "Next Year... 2019-20" thread, whose very title no longer bears a logical correspondence to ongoing conversations about the current season.

In the journal Shit, one team of scientists has published a model showing how the Cherry Avenue parking garage could become a vortex that tears apart time itself. Spaceman Spiff did not respond to requests for comment.
Untrue. I traveled into the past to supply quotes for the article, but your article was printed before I bent the space time continuum, and is thus flawed.

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think our freshmen group is going to be a special group and fan favorites.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:I think our freshmen group is going to be a special group and fan favorites.
It's a throwback to classes like AG, RHJ and York. Talented guys, but also hard workers and team guys. It's too bad we might only get a single year from Nico, Green and Zeke all.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

First off, Longhorned that was epically hilarious. Well done. Second, so looking forward to our redemption tour. Lets get this thing started.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

JFC Longhorned hahahaha
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Fucking whistleblowers.

I'm guessing your "source" was Merkin. That guy loves to talk (judging by the amount of posts he has here)
"True as such, but I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk." ~ Longhorned
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

LH, that was unfreaking real. Appreciable by such a small, strange group of people, too. Love it.

And holy shit I'm excited for this team.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

It’s a unique mix of old and young in this team, really interesting.

Four freshman and four super seniors with only Lee and Doutrive (our “everybody loves them, ultimate energy guys”) in between.

For six or seven of these guys it’ll be there final season playing college ball (even though for many it’ll be their first). Just an interesting dynamic.

Oh and you’ve got to love that we’ve got Baker and Brown in the practice squad. Those guys would start on most Pac-12 teams and they’re in practice making our guys better everyday. Sacrificing. Waiting their turn.

Then you consider our final scholarship player, Brandon Williams. Fighting just to be able to play ball again at a competitive level. Sacrificing. Waiting his turn.

What a team.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Jefe wrote:Over 500 Red Blue tickets available still. Top 2 rows are available in lots of upper sections. Can't remember the last time it didn't sell out
Doesn't help that they booked the game on a school day. Impossible for me and the fam to make it down to Tucson before tip.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:
Doesn't help that they booked the game on a school day. Impossible for me and the fam to make it down to Tucson before tip.
Hadn’t considered how this makes it harder for the fans coming down from PHX. Sat early evening (5pm) seems like the best timing.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Olsondogg wrote:
Coach moved the game up to help with recruiting. Can't have it on the same day as a football game and Sunday night is out of the question
Under Sean Miller, the Red-Blue Game has typically taken place two or three weeks into full practices. The move to an earlier date, just two days after the Wildcats are eligible to begin full practices, will allow the Wildcats to attract recruits earlier to watch the event and give the current team an entire month of privacy before its Nov. 1 exhibition game with Chico State (UA will play a closed scrimmage in late October).
Who are we practicing against?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

we shouldn't have any problem rebounding this year. Zeke will probably be our best per minute rebounder. Chase, Stone, Ira, Koloko.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone have a link to Red/Blue highlights? Thanks.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Thanks, dcc!

Gotta say: Josh looks like the real deal. Nico too. Lots of made threes in these highlights, which is fantastic. Does this team have it in them to be dominant defensively, in the way Miller always aspires to?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Did any noteworthy recruits attend?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:Did any noteworthy recruits attend?
There was like 15 recruits at the game.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Looks to me that we are way more athletic and longer this year. Can't wait until these kids get their legs under them.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

azgreg wrote:Looks to me that we are way more athletic and longer this year. Can't wait until these kids get their legs under them.
As long as there are some shooters, everything should be fine.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

How high should our hopes be on Baker being eligible?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:How high should our hopes be on Baker being eligible?
Not very high. The NCAA has been lax lately, but Baker doesn't have the greatest waiver case.

If Doutrive is as improved as he looks, it might not matter.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:How high should our hopes be on Baker being eligible?
Not very high. The NCAA has been lax lately, but Baker doesn't have the greatest waiver case.
If only he was a quarterback.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:
Who are we practicing against?
Sorry, just saw this now, but it'll be St. Mary's, which is the usual.