Post by Jefe »

Is the scrimmage here?
goslingswagg

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: so I don't think this knocks them off the preseason throne.
But would you take Oregon's roster over ours?
Without N'Faly, I definitely would not take Oregon's roster over ours.
Me neither. And I may be in the minority, but even *with* N'Faly, I'd still take our roster. Give me the experience of upperclassmen like Jeter and Lee over a raw freshman. N'Faly isn't Ayton. He's a very tall, very athletic player, but in the footage I've seen, he doesn't look like he's simply a game-changer. Don't even think he'd be Oregon's best player.
yeah, agreed, I don't think Oregon is clear cut a better roster than ours with N'faly. Just saying I think with him it's debatable, without him and I think I'd definitely prefer our roster.

Jefe - regarding the scrimmage, I do not know
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If I see one more post on the scrimmage, I'm moving this thread to the We Fucking Lost to St. Mary's Again board.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:If I see one more post on the scrimmage, I'm moving this thread to the We Fucking Lost to St. Mary's Again board.

Machina would love that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: so I don't think this knocks them off the preseason throne.
But would you take Oregon's roster over ours?
I prefer our roster but I get the appeal of the Oregon team - returning veteran PG; collection of interchangeable wings who can shoot it between transfers Mathis and Duarte, returnee Richardson, and incoming frosh Patterson; lengthy bouncy forward CJ Walker paired with long burly banger Shakur Juiston; and rim protector Okoro returning along with the possible addition of N'Faly Dante.

That's a good team! Those are good pieces! Let's not fuck this up and pretend like that's not a team we'd be okay fielding.

Their frontcourt is going to be very good defensively, once they start playing as a unit but even just individually. Duarte, Juiston, Walker, Okoro, Dante are all very good defenders with size and length. I don't expect the backcourt of Prtichard and Mathis to do much defensively but everything behind them will be tough.

If Pritchard gets his shot back, him and Mathis and Duarte will be a killer collection of outside shooters. There won't be any stretch shooting out of their frontcourt (a significant negative for them), but their backcourt and a couple of those wings can really shoot it.

They only return one impact player and two role players. Integrating six new players into your seven man rotation is a task. But Altman is a good coach and he's shown the ability to get new teammates working (if only late into the season).

Arizona will obviously be dealing with integrating some new important pieces as well, though to a considerably smaller degree with five of our top ten returning. I like Arizona's versatility and depth in the front court - we can go three deep at both PF and C, while Oregon currently has only one legit PF and one legit C to start the season (tbd on Dante and tbd if Walker can play PF effectively). And ultimately I like that we'll probably have the best two players on the floor at most times, with the potential to have a flat out better one through five against most opponents (including Oregon) if reports on Zeke and DD prove true (the gold jerseys they've won adding to my confidence in those reports).
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Last note on Oregon: While they ended the off season with the number one recruiting class in the Pac-12, I'm not convinced that a single one of their incoming freshman will be starters on this team. And I don't mean that as a compliment. Of their top 50 recruits, Dante has eligibility concerns and lacks strength and experience, Walker is an upside play competing for minutes with experienced transfer Shakur Juiston (who has all of the muscle that Walker lacks at PF) and experienced transfer Chris Duarte (who has all the ball handling and shooting that Walker lacks at SF), and Patterson is a reclass that will be competing with senior transfers Mathis and Duarte on the wing.

Someone may see that as depth, but it can also lead to frustration if a five star like Dante struggles to work his way into the rotation or his fellow five star Walker lacks a clear path to starting. Walker is a SF/PF tweener who has struggled to put on weight and would prefer to play outside - when he signed last fall, there was no clear SF or PF on the team. Since then, the Ducks have added two top grad transfers who will force competition for those spots. And because of the lack of depth at center, Walker may be encouraged to find time playing up at PF. A season of discontent for their five stars could prove toxic for this season and the future.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:Is the scrimmage here?
Phoenix, not sure where, guessing GCU.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Jefe wrote:Is the scrimmage here?
We talkin bout practice man!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Most preseason rankings have us between 15 and 20. I’m good with that to start the season. It’s nice to see other Pac teams ranked (UW, Oregon, Colorado).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Most preseason rankings have us between 15 and 20. I’m good with that to start the season. It’s nice to see other Pac teams ranked (UW, Oregon, Colorado).
I hope it stays that way. It would be nice to have a season unlike 17-18 where we won the Pac regular season and tourney and couldn't crack a top three seed.

The Pac having competition that you can benefit from beating is a big deal in our tourney future.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Most preseason rankings have us between 15 and 20. I’m good with that to start the season. It’s nice to see other Pac teams ranked (UW, Oregon, Colorado).
I hope it stays that way. It would be nice to have a season unlike 17-18 where we won the Pac regular season and tourney and couldn't crack a top three seed.

The Pac having competition that you can benefit from beating is a big deal in our tourney future.
Briefly looking at the schedule (aka scraping it to excel, scraping the Bartorvik preseason projections, and dropping in projected net rankings based on home/away/neutral and projected ranking along with an eye test)...

We should have 10 or so Q1 games and 14 or so Q2 games in our schedule - that's a good opportunity to post enough quality wins to get a good seeding. For reference, a Big XII or an ACC team last year would have about 14 Q1 games and 7 Q2 games... a little heavier on the Q1 games but a little lighter on the Q2 games so it almost balances out. B1G schools could have had up to 17 Q1 games though. Last year we had 7 Q1 games and 12 Q2, so a definite step up for us.

Because conferences like the B1G, SEC, Big XII, and ACC will all have a higher number of Q1 wins among their conference winners, and because the American has stepped up as of late, it'll be tough for us or any Pac-12 team to get up to a 1 seed. We'd likely need a Gonzaga-esque performance of dropping a max of 3 Q1 games and running the table through the rest. Even a 2 seed for the Pac-12 conference winner will be tough.

If we go 6-4 in those Q1 games... we're in a dog fight for a fourth seed. Not bad but that's likely the ceiling we're fighting for. Much higher ceiling than last season where we might has had an 8 seed with a similar performance.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chase Jeter makes the best C in cbb watchlist, along with Josh Green at the SF spot. Mannion noticeably left off the PG list, which I assume Miller paid them to do for bulletin board material.

Also: We're two weeks to tip off.

Also: new pics.
Stone Gettings is a beast.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Goodness, I hate the gradient.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I still have yet to see the issue. It's so small and barely noticeable and doesn't really matter.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:I still have yet to see the issue. It's so small and barely noticeable and doesn't really matter.
The gradient sticks out on every jersey by the simple fact there shouldn't be one.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

what's that one called?

Desert fog?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I still have yet to see the issue. It's so small and barely noticeable and doesn't really matter.
The gradient sticks out on every jersey by the simple fact there shouldn't be one.
Yes. And it will never stop feeling like:

-----
Nike Jerk: Let's put gradients on Arizona's football uniforms!

Every U of A Fan: What the fuck? That's horrible. How did that just happen to us? Make it go away!

Nike Jerk: They hate it! Ha ha! Let's put it on their basketball jerseys! And their shorts!

Every U of A Fan: What in the actual fuck? How is this happening? Why us? What the hell did we do? Make it go away now!

Nike Jerk: Ha ha! They're pissed! Nobody wants it! It looks ridiculous! Let's add some red-and-yellow Ronald McDonald clown uniforms into the mix!

Every U of A Fan: Holy shit, this is getting worse. Who okay'd this? Why is this happening? How do we make it stop?

Nike Jerk: Yes!!! Here's a white one with glitter-gold lettering! We'll make them looking like princess fairies!!!!

Every U of A Fan: Oh my god. Whatever the fuck has happened to us? Can we just go back in time? Who are you in there? Come out and show yourselves!

Nike Jerk: Ha ha! You'll never have decent uniforms again!!!

-----
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

What time is the scrimmage?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Disagree and who cares? It's barely visible unless it's like a tv shot zoomed into the torso of the player. Get over it as Mick Mulvaney says

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Disagree and who cares? It's barely visible unless it's like a tv shot zoomed into the torso of the player. Get over it as Mick Mulvaney says
I was going to say that you couldn't be more wrong but you prove over and over that you can be.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
There are red and blue uniforms where it's beyond noticable if for some reason you lack depth perception and can't see them on the white unis.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
There are red and blue uniforms where it's beyond noticable if for some reason you lack depth perception and can't see them on the white unis.
Meaningfully: the players have said that they like them. Personally: I only like the white ones, wish they were an alternate to our normal BEST UNIFORMS OF ALL TIME (e.g. anything between 1997-2016).
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Soooooo. Any news from our scrimmage? We’re getting stat lines and scores from everyone else’s scrimmage and zip on ours.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Kenpom laughs at the Pac 12 preseason rankings...sorta...

Az- 24
Oregon -30
Colo -37
USC- 48 (they held their own against Vanila-nova in the not so secret televised scrimmage for charity)
Wash. -52
Oregon St- who cares?
ASU - fuck 'em
Stanford -just below fuck 'em
Utes...

Grand Canyon nipping at Utes heels...

Etc...
UCLA -107

https://kenpom.com/" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

NickyBCats wrote:Soooooo. Any news from our scrimmage? We’re getting stat lines and scores from everyone else’s scrimmage and zip on ours.

Machina anxiously awaits the results so he can freak out.
-JB
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Soooooo. Any news from our scrimmage? We’re getting stat lines and scores from everyone else’s scrimmage and zip on ours.

You are fucking obsessed brother. Let me know your address so I can send you a signed picture
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We've got a lotto pick PG, a stronger Nick Johnson, experienced guards coming off the bench, and a cluster of solid frontcourt players. AZ looks like the Pac favorite to me, but what do I know?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

You are fucking obsessed brother. Let me know your address so I can send you a signed picture

Stop posting and tweeting stupid shit if you don't want to get called out.

We all remember when you freaked out when we "lost" the scrimmage to St. Mary's a few years ago.

We talkin' about practice?
-JB
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

We all remember when you freaked out when we "lost" the scrimmage to St. Mary's a few years ago.

Yeah UA made the final four that year right?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

Well we would have if we had won that scrimmage.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Kenpom laughs at the Pac 12 preseason rankings...sorta...

Az- 24
Oregon -30
Colo -37
USC- 48 (they held their own against Vanila-nova in the not so secret televised scrimmage for charity)
Wash. -52
Oregon St- who cares?
ASU - fuck 'em
UCLA -107

https://kenpom.com/" target="_blank
I don’t have significant beef with any of this. UW doesn’t get credit for Quade Green in this model so consider they’ll rise with his addition in conference play.

In total, I think we all hope the PAC-12 is about ten points higher than each team is regarded here but we’ve gotten a reputation for mediocrity (a history of it) that we’ll have to prove wrong before we earn improved preseason perception - especially in this model that heavily factors prior performance.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Scheer doesn’t have a final result but said he was told Zeke stood out and was our best player on the floor.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

If only you had been a better fan...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

NickyBCats wrote:Scheer doesn’t have a final result but said he was told Zeke stood out and was our best player on the floor.

Was hoping that Nico stood out but then maybe he made everyone else better on the floor. I guess we should soon see.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

azcat49 wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Scheer doesn’t have a final result but said he was told Zeke stood out and was our best player on the floor.

Was hoping that Nico stood out but then maybe he made everyone else better on the floor. I guess we should soon see.
I think we never want Nico to look like the best player on the floor. If he does, that means we are probably in trouble.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Better is somewhat relative. Making things easy for others can be very noticeable even if you are not scoring. I get what you are saying but want to hear more great things about him I guess
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Edit: I was talking nonsense.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Impressive given the talent and experience in the Gonzaga front court. Tillie, Timme, Petrusev, Kispert and a bunch of young bigs behind them.

I thought it was St Mary’s
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Impressive given the talent and experience in the Gonzaga front court. Tillie, Timme, Petrusev, Kispert and a bunch of young bigs behind them.

I thought it was St Mary’s
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

All I know about the scrimmage is Arizona won the first 20 minutes and St. Mary's won the last 20.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:All I know about the scrimmage is Arizona won the first 20 minutes and St. Mary's won the last 20.
Not sure if the final score was pretty tight, but I'd consider a push to be a positive result in this scrimmage, considering they are going to be a pretty damn good team and have a ton of continuity on their roster.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:All I know about the scrimmage is Arizona won the first 20 minutes and St. Mary's won the last 20.
I'd be interested to know if this is won or "won." Especially with how Miller treats things, I would not be shocked if a lot of the word out was for development purposes, not actual scores.

There's a big reason things are fairly tightly controlled in terms of what gets out. I find it hard to believe the scoreboard is the standard for a win.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Just happy to hear it was competitive and there were no injuries. Any time our teams can get challenged in a setting that doesn't affect our tournament seed and no one gets hurt is always good. Win or lose.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'd be interested to know if this is won or "won." Especially with how Miller treats things, I would not be shocked if a lot of the word out was for development purposes, not actual scores.

There's a big reason things are fairly tightly controlled in terms of what gets out. I find it hard to believe the scoreboard is the standard for a win.
Yeah the whole "won" thing is subjective certainly and the way Arizona & St. Mary's handles these scrimmages goes way beyond points scored obviously. Every thing is very tight lipped and Nnaji being the best player isn't surprising based on how he's been practicing from what I understand.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats told me we won 100-0.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AP poll is out. Ranked 21st to begin the season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oregon is #15. Washington and Colorado are the first teams receiving votes at #26 and 27.