let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

IndianaZonaFan

Re: let's talk '20

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: If we were recruiting out of 90's basketball movies, I'd prefer Above The Rim.
Speaking of....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sort of a rough night for Dalen Terry.

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Sort of a rough night for Dalen Terry.
Missed it but looks like 15 pts, 5 asts in a losing effort. Was avg'ing 15 and 10 coming in. Jalen Green ate Hillcrest alive for 33pts including 10/10 from the line.

Next game is Sat night.

Any added feedback?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Just watching highlights of Terry and it doesn’t appear he has good hops.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

zonagrad wrote:Just watching highlights of Terry and it doesn’t appear he has good hops.
We didn’t recruit him for his superb athleticism
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Missed it but looks like 15 pts, 5 asts in a losing effort. Was avg'ing 15 and 10 coming in. Jalen Green ate Hillcrest alive for 33pts including 10/10 from the line.

Next game is Sat night.

Any added feedback?
He was directly matched up with Jalen Green and it didn't do him any favors. Green just looked better.

You can see Terry has good vision, and he was clearly in control of things for Hillcrest. That said, his J was way off and he struggled creating for others due to TO's. I'm sure it colors my opinion that a lot of the game was him vs Green and Green just won in all phases.

Filling out his frame and consistency with his jumper would go a long way. I see him much more as a wing with good vision than a PG.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Next game is Sat night.

Any added feedback?
He was directly matched up with Jalen Green and it didn't do him any favors. Green just looked better.

You can see Terry has good vision, and he was clearly in control of things for Hillcrest. That said, his J was way off and he struggled creating for others due to TO's. I'm sure it colors my opinion that a lot of the game was him vs Green and Green just won in all phases.

Filling out his frame and consistency with his jumper would go a long way. I see him much more as a wing with good vision than a PG.
One game but that certainly tempers my expectations. Thanks (and James Akinjo... come on down).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:

Next game is Sat night.

Any added feedback?

One game but that certainly tempers my expectations. Thanks (and James Akinjo... come on down).
Don't get me wrong, he's a good prospect. I see him more as a 3-4 year guy, though. He isn't an explosive athlete, so I think he needs the physical development and skill development to realize his potential.

Right now, he has a long frame and high IQ. Green was a tough matchup for him because Green is an athlete a few levels above Terry. If Terry can add 10-15 pounds of good muscle and become a good shooter, he should be a highly productive college player.

Last night was hard for him because Green canceled his length, he had trouble getting at the rim and the J wasn't going in. He made a couple nice passes, but you could see him pushing too hard to try to get Hillcrest back into it.

Thinking of comparisons, post-injury Shawn Livingston occurs to me. Long, slender, not super athletic, but good vision. Delon Wright was another one I put out there. I just think he isn't that guy until he develops physically a bit. Green isn't a bodybuilder, but you could see the difference, and Terry doesn't have burst to help him until he gets that strength.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Frank Anselem did absolutely nothing

Puff Johnson hardly played, didn't look ready for that competition.

Burnett and Green are filthy together

Would've been cool to have Puff/Terry together on the wings for 3/4 years.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Green is a pro. Terry is a good player with lottery upside due to basketball IQ and length. They're at completely different points of their development and have different strengths. Apples to oranges.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Green is a pro. Terry is a good player with lottery upside due to basketball IQ and length. They're at completely different points of their development and have different strengths. Apples to oranges.
I walked away thinking Green was one and done and Terry was Solomon Hillish. I could see him having a long pro career, but the rest of the package has to come together for him.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

This may seem like a silly question, but why are we not in on Jalen Green as a west coast guy at a position of need next year?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote:This may seem like a silly question, but why are we not in on Jalen Green as a west coast guy at a position of need next year?
I assume competition priced us out. Green is a massive talent. I was very impressed last night.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

He's grown a bit and put on some weight

He's definitely not explosive. I think he could be a good small ball 4 if he puts on some weight and muscle.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So as of today, what would be our best case scenario’20 class? And worst case?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:So as of today, what would be our best case scenario’20 class? And worst case?
At the moment some mix of Dalen Terry, Ziaire Williams, Kerwin Walton, Ben Mathurin and a PG (Akinjo or another guy) or all 5 of them. Maybe a post in there as well.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Green is a pro. Terry is a good player with lottery upside due to basketball IQ and length. They're at completely different points of their development and have different strengths. Apples to oranges.
I walked away thinking Green was one and done and Terry was Solomon Hillish. I could see him having a long pro career, but the rest of the package has to come together for him.
Don't hate that comparison at all. Also Green is pretty much likely to go the overseas route instead of college.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:This may seem like a silly question, but why are we not in on Jalen Green as a west coast guy at a position of need next year?
We recruited him heavily at one point, but both parties decided to move on. Green probably heading the overseas route obviously made the decision real easy for us.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Don't hate that comparison at all. Also Green is pretty much likely to go the overseas route instead of college.
Yeah. I meant it more as that Green screams pro, from body to athletic ability to skills.

Terry has pro length and IQ. His athleticism isn't great. That's why it matters much more that his skill and physical maturity come together. Green, I'd draft him this second in the high lottery. Terry, he has to show his game can balance his lack of physical explosiveness before that pro future opens up.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:So as of today, what would be our best case scenario’20 class? And worst case?
At the moment some mix of Dalen Terry, Ziaire Williams, Kerwin Walton, Ben Mathurin and a PG (Akinjo or another guy) or all 5 of them. Maybe a post in there as well.
That's a pretty damn good class. Terry, Williams, Walton and Akinjo is a formidable core to build around. Haven't seen Mathurin yet. Also, we could get lucky with Brandon Williams. We have Brown, Koloko, Baker, and Lee. I'm now starting to expect that Nico, Josh and Zeke will all be OAD, but even if one of them stays, that's yet another major contributor.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Brown, Koloko and Lee as next year's frontcourt.
prh

Post by prh »

I'd be perfectly fine with a guy with high IQ, passing skills, and willingness to play defense, who will be around for 3-4 years. Wow that sounds like a dream in fact
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I know it is not the point of your question, but our best case scenario has Zeke returning, Jordan Brown becoming the level of player he was recruited as, BWill being healthy, and a solid SR transfer PG to join a class of Terry and Ziaire Williams in an 11th hour steal. Akinjo maybe as a 2nd semester eligible?

It isn't well balanced, especially at the post, where you would really need Koloko to be ready to play some minutes. Maybe a transfer big? But there is talent there. A super-best-case would have Josh Green deciding he could improve his draft stock from lower 1st round as the team's #1 backcourt scoring option.

Obviously, worst case is erase Williams and BWill with no 11th hour recruiting surprises.

Miracle-best-case has the NBA and the NBAPA deciding to go to a 2-and-done college rule immediately.

PG/SG
(SR Transfer)
BWill
Baker
SG/SF
Terry
Williams
PF/C
Zeke Nnaji
Ira Lee
Christian Koloko
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I would love that class. A ton of 6'5 - 6'7" guys who can pass and shoot and with length to defend is the way to go in cbb right now. Terry and Mathurin have a ton of upside, Williams is a OAD lotto pick and Walton can contribute day one with his jump shooting and size on the wing. Wouldn't be the highest rated class (partly due to Mathurin not getting the top 50 ranking since he's an international player) but it'd be damn effective for us.

Don't want to get ahead of myself but that'd be a very fun team with Baker, Lee, Brown, and Koloko joining them (as well as hopefully Akinjo or another PG). BWill would make it an absolute party.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
I know it is not the point of your question, but our best case scenario has Zeke returning, Jordan Brown becoming the level of player he was recruited as, BWill being healthy, and a solid SR transfer PG to join a class of Terry and Ziaire Williams in an 11th hour steal. Akinjo maybe as a 2nd semester eligible?

It isn't well balanced, especially at the post, where you would really need Koloko to be ready to play some minutes. Maybe a transfer big? But there is talent there. A super-best-case would have Josh Green deciding he could improve his draft stock from lower 1st round as the team's #1 backcourt scoring option.

Obviously, worst case is erase Williams and BWill with no 11th hour recruiting surprises.

Miracle-best-case has the NBA and the NBAPA deciding to go to a 2-and-done college rule immediately.

PG/SG
(SR Transfer)
BWill
Baker
SG/SF
Terry
Williams
PF/C
Zeke Nnaji
Ira Lee
Christian Koloko
You mentioned Brown and then forgot to put him in your lineup lol. If Nnaji stays we won't need another post.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Is the Mathurin kid hoping to be recruited by more teams or something
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Is the Mathurin kid hoping to be recruited by more teams or something
Walton sure is making Arizona work for it. I'm not sure what Mathurin's deal is, but he is being recruited by plenty. From what I understand it's still an Arizona/Baylor decision.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
You mentioned Brown and then forgot to put him in your lineup lol.
And this is why I usually stay out of these conversations :)

Other than high school recruiting, I find it hard to emotionally look ahead because it would be my hope that Nnaji plays so well, he has to go. But it is also my hope that he returns.

I'll stick to paying attention to recruiting...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any news on Akinjo? A G'Town buddy told me Akinjo is a head case and probably not worth the trouble. Not sure how credible that is.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Any news on Akinjo? A G'Town buddy told me Akinjo is a head case and probably not worth the trouble. Not sure how credible that is.
We're involved, but the more I hear the more it sounds like Gonzaga or even St. Mary's. Arizona really likes its other PG target, so I don't know how much effort they plan on putting into Akinjo ultimately. We'll see.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Who is our other target?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azcat49 wrote:Who is our other target?
Secret...for now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Secret...for now.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Damnit LH if we lose that dog because of your posts...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Damnit LH if we lose that dog because of your posts...
LH is the embodiment of anarchy.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Any news on Akinjo? A G'Town buddy told me Akinjo is a head case and probably not worth the trouble. Not sure how credible that is.
We're involved, but the more I hear the more it sounds like Gonzaga or even St. Mary's. Arizona really likes its other PG target, so I don't know how much effort they plan on putting into Akinjo ultimately. We'll see.
If they aren't putting much effort into Akinjo then this guy better be pretty damn good.

I could be wrong, but a player that isn't on any recruiting websites and is unknown to the public seems like a pretty big risk of being legit. Especially when compared to a guy that's already proved that he can play the point in college at a high level.

Seeing how Nico impacts the offense this year makes me never want to go back to the level of PG's of the post TJ years. Not having talent at that position scares me more than any other, is this guy early career starter level good?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
If they aren't putting much effort into Akinjo then this guy better be pretty damn good.

I could be wrong, but a player that isn't on any recruiting websites and is unknown to the public seems like a pretty big risk of being legit. Especially when compared to a guy that's already proved that he can play the point in college at a high level.

Seeing how Nico impacts the offense this year makes me never want to go back to the level of PG's of the post TJ years. Not having talent at that position scares me more than any other, is this guy early career starter level good?

It better be a legit top tier grad transfer or else there's no way he's better than Akinjo. Akinjo already proved himself in a tough Big East conference and won Freshman of the year in high major ball already.

Plus added to that if it isn't a grad transfer, he'll only be here for a year, Akinjo is here for the next 2 years or 2.5 yrs (sorry but the dog is already 13.5 years old and on his way out).

Colbey Ross of Pepperdine looked legit, is he grad transfer eligible?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Secret...for now.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-Ball% ... ept_Secret" target="_blank

B-Ball's Best Kept Secret is a compilation album released by Epic Records that featured NBA players performing songs with hip hop artists including Shaquille O'Neal.

"Hip Hop Basketball Genie"- :48
"Check It"- 4:07 (Dana Barros)
Lost in the Sauce"- 4:57 (Malik Sealy)
"Mic Check 1-2"- 3:45 (Shaquille O'Nealand Ill Al Skratch)
"Earl the Goat"- :34
"Flow On"- 4:03 (Cedric Ceballos and Warren G)
"Anything Can Happen"- 5:03 (Brian Shaw)"
Sumptin' to Groove To"- 3:21 (Chris Mills)
"From the Bay to L.A."- 1:14 (Sway & King Tech)
"What the Kidd Didd"- 3:52 (Jason Kiddand Money-B)"
Funk in the Trunk"- 4:17 (J.R. Rider)
"Phat Swoosh"- :55
"All Night Party"- 3:47 (Dennis Scott)
"Livin' Legal and Large"- 3:54 (Gary Payton)
"D.J. S and S Represents"- 1:18
"Ya Don't Stop"- 4:42 (Dana Barros, Cedric Ceballos, Grand Puba, Sadat X, AG and Diamond D)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Funk in the Trunk by J.R. Rider is a hip hop classic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I never said he was unknown to the public. He just wasn't a guy who was considering playing college ball until recently. He is most certainly known by the scouting world and has been for a long time.

Before Lauri Markkanen decided to play college ball he wasn't on the recruiting websites either, but he sure as hell was well known in the scouting world.
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-Ball% ... ept_Secret

B-Ball's Best Kept Secret is a compilation album released by Epic Records that featured NBA players performing songs with hip hop artists including Shaquille O'Neal.

"Hip Hop Basketball Genie"- :48
"Check It"- 4:07 (Dana Barros)
Lost in the Sauce"- 4:57 (Malik Sealy)
"Mic Check 1-2"- 3:45 (Shaquille O'Nealand Ill Al Skratch)
"Earl the Goat"- :34
"Flow On"- 4:03 (Cedric Ceballos and Warren G)
"Anything Can Happen"- 5:03 (Brian Shaw)"
Sumptin' to Groove To"- 3:21 (Chris Mills)
"From the Bay to L.A."- 1:14 (Sway & King Tech)
"What the Kidd Didd"- 3:52 (Jason Kiddand Money-B)"
Funk in the Trunk"- 4:17 (J.R. Rider)
"Phat Swoosh"- :55
"All Night Party"- 3:47 (Dennis Scott)
"Livin' Legal and Large"- 3:54 (Gary Payton)
"D.J. S and S Represents"- 1:18
"Ya Don't Stop"- 4:42 (Dana Barros, Cedric Ceballos, Grand Puba, Sadat X, AG and Diamond D)
Burying the lead on the Chris Mills track!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vj-bAOWs6D0" target="_blank
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Hopefully a rocking crowd vs the Zags locks this up. But he also gets to see Gonzaga and how they play
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gets to check out two of his choices on one trip
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:Gets to check out two of his choices on one trip
is the likelihood that he commits on campus close to 0% choo?
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I never said he was unknown to the public. He just wasn't a guy who was considering playing college ball until recently. He is most certainly known by the scouting world and has been for a long time.

Before Lauri Markkanen decided to play college ball he wasn't on the recruiting websites either, but he sure as hell was well known in the scouting world.
Yeah, I misinterpreted what you had said. Lauri is the really the best case scenario, but I always know Miller is making the right decisions in recruiting and I want who he wants. Just wouldnt mind Akinjo too lol.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So maybe that's one recruiting trip on one continent.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote: I never said he was unknown to the public. He just wasn't a guy who was considering playing college ball until recently. He is most certainly known by the scouting world and has been for a long time.

So we are getting Lauri's younger brother?

Nice!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

A1RZONA wrote:
Depends how badly he wants to see Spokane I guess. I certainly wouldn't say 0%.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah, I misinterpreted what you had said. Lauri is the really the best case scenario, but I always know Miller is making the right decisions in recruiting and I want who he wants. Just wouldnt mind Akinjo too lol.
Yeah this guy wouldn't be Lauri good, but he's no slouch certainly. I imagine if Miller gets the bird in hand with Akinjo that would end the recruitment of the other guy though. Akinjo has to decide real soon.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:
A1RZONA wrote:
Depends how badly he wants to see Spokane I guess. I certainly wouldn't say 0%.
makes sense. thanks