The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Longhorned »

Josh Green doesn't strike one as the kind of player who misses a game because of a throat infection. He's more the kind of guy who eats throat infections for lunch. Okay, that came out weird but I'll just hit 'submit' anyway.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
Nico still has a bad back leftover from Anaheim

Stone has a bad black eye and/or bruise

A super early game on the road, Arizona's odds not looking favorable Saturday
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Colds are definitely going around right now.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

Stone has a facial fracture and a concussion, so a bit more than a bad black eye.

Either way yeah we're gonna be hurting for this game, but it's honestly the most affordable loss on our schedule. Get healthy for the Zags.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:

Stone has a facial fracture and a concussion, so a bit more than a bad black eye.

Either way yeah we're gonna be hurting for this game, but it's honestly the most affordable loss on our schedule. Get healthy for the Zags.
I think it's great and a test for those who don't receive the accolades because of the talent. Baker and Hazzard can really shine in this game. Losing won't hurt us much, but the opportunity of winning when we are short handed can mean a lot. If Baker, Hazzard, and Lee shines (and Koloko is serviceable) this could make a drastic difference in seeding come March. This game is in front of a national audience and can make an impression.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Us, after the Wooden Legacy: Thank God we have a week to practice and tighten up our defense.

God: Oh hell no.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

God hates us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Gotta believe Nico and Josh suit up.

Strep starts to clear within a couple days of taking antibiotics, Josh should be on the upswing by now. Nico's sore back... I don't know how bad it is but physical therapy is a life saver and I'm sure they're throwing everything they have at it (massage, stretching, TENS, cold laser, shockwave, ultrasound, etc).

We need Josh in particular for his versatility and ability to play small ball PF. Not sure how we make it through a game with just three guards/wings.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Gettings will likely get fitted for a mask after he is cleared to play. That hurts from a depth standpoint. Chance to show the nation and we get our usual bad dose of luck. Win and no way ESPIN could not talk about how bog a game the Zag game would be on a national level.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Baylor's main rotation, minutes played

Butler (G), 6'3: 30.2 mpg, 19.2ppg
Teague (G), 6'3: 30.3mpg, 14.9ppg
Mitchell (G), 6'2: 27.8mpg, 9.0ppg
Bandoo (G), 6'3: 25.3mpg, 9.4ppg
Vital (G), 6'5: 24.0mpg, 7.3ppg
Gillespie (F), 6'9: 27.5mpg, 8.3ppg
Clark (F), 6'10: 20.3mpg, 6.0ppg

Koloko and Lee won't matter much imo, that's not the depth that is good for this game because they're constantly going to go small ball and jack up 3s.

It's obviously guard and wing depth that does. If Josh and Nico are out, there's absolutely no depth whatsoever. Baker, Hazzard and Smith would have to literally play 40mins.

And that's if no one gets in foul trouble. If they have to play soft defense to avoid getting fouls or not play as hard defense so they won't get tired, Baylor is going to carve us up Saturday.

There's no way Josh and Nico don't play
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:Gotta believe Nico and Josh suit up.

Strep starts to clear within a couple days of taking antibiotics, Josh should be on the upswing by now. Nico's sore back... I don't know how bad it is but physical therapy is a life saver and I'm sure they're throwing everything they have at it (massage, stretching, TENS, cold laser, shockwave, ultrasound, etc).

We need Josh in particular for his versatility and ability to play small ball PF. Not sure how we make it through a game with just three guards/wings.
Yeah, there's some gamesmanship going on with who is questionable for Saturday.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This could be a good thing...........................maybe................
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I once killed a bear with my bear hands after throwing out my back while suffering from pneumonia.

Nico and Josh will not only play, but we will win.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Baylor absolutely killed us on the glass last year. Have to believe that has been a point of emphasis all week in practice (I know -- rosters are completely different this season).

An Arizona season just isn't complete without some drama every other week. Why should this year be different?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I once killed a bear with my bear hands after throwing out my back while suffering from pneumonia.

I once killed an alligator with my alligator hands but then I used lotion so everyone is okay.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

29 NBA scouts registered for the game...

Unrelated, but I think Lee could do well in this one at PF (if Josh is limited/out) - he could match up well with Mark Vital their small ball PF who loves to bang in the post.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

YoDeFoe wrote:29 NBA scouts registered for the game...
Hopefully that's a good sign. Scouts aren't making the trip if they know Nico and Josh are out. 1st rounders on Baylor though?
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

Jefe wrote:
Hopefully that's a good sign. Scouts aren't making the trip if they know Nico and Josh are out. 1st rounders on Baylor though?
These scouts probably planned on being at this game long before anyone found out about Nico/Josh's statuses.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Might be an incentive for them to play though. Just kind of spitballin here but it seems like Miller was frustrated with them not practicing in his Press Conference yesterday. Not sure if he was frustrated with them personally or just the situation as a whole. If anyone's holding back when they are actually able to play, then maybe the Scouts being there will push them.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

terryarms wrote:
Jefe wrote:
These scouts probably planned on being at this game long before anyone found out about Nico/Josh's statuses.
Well... it would be weird for them to decide to come to the game because of their pending statuses!
terryarms

Post by terryarms »

I just mean to say to Jefe that the presence of scouts doesn't indicate one way or another whether they know if Nico and Josh are suiting up.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

terryarms wrote:I just mean to say to Jefe that the presence of scouts doesn't indicate one way or another whether they know if Nico and Josh are suiting up.
Just giving you a hard time.... I agree.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote:
Alieberman wrote:I once killed a bear with my bear hands after throwing out my back while suffering from pneumonia.

I once killed an alligator with my alligator hands but then I used lotion so everyone is okay.
Underrated post. Nice catch.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

EVCat is right. Good eyes Longhorned. I taught high school English back in 1960 for one year just out of college. That one year ruined me for the rest of my life. I also caught the bear hands, but didn't come up with a sharp retort. I'm slowing down.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EVCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Underrated post. Nice catch.
Oops. I of course meant beer hands.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Hey, somebody's got to step up and play Gumby now that he's a star on Twitter.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 21070.html" target="_blank

"Typically, UA players who miss significant practice time before a week do not start, but Green and Mannion had both Thursday and Friday’s practices to prove themselves and are expected at least to play. (Miller does not usually issue further health updates after his weekly news conferences until the next game.)"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If Nico and Green are ready physically, they'll start. They're the sort of players typical rules don't apply to.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:Hey, somebody's got to step up and play Gumby now that he's a star on Twitter.
o'rlly???
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Nico and Green are ready physically, they'll start. They're the sort of players typical rules don't apply to.
perhaps, but this rule wont be bent for anyone, certainly not at this stage of the season.

the only time i can think it may be bent is in the NCAA Tournament or even Final Four, but even then i would be surprised.

remember, if there are five practices in a week and if the kid(s) practice once in the later part and display the fitness necessary they will play.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Looks like the boys have boarded the plane. Wonder when we get a heads up on starting line-up and DNPs.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

baylor thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Doesn't matter if Green/Mannion don't start, they'll check in 3-4 minutes into the game. And still play 30mins.

College coaches always do this. In football they'll come in after the first drive, sure punished them.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Doesn't matter if Green/Mannion don't start, they'll check in 3-4 minutes into the game. And still play 30mins.

College coaches always do this. In football they'll come in after the first drive, sure punished them.
This isn't disciplinary. If they are healthy they will play their normal roles.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

baycat93 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Doesn't matter if Green/Mannion don't start, they'll check in 3-4 minutes into the game. And still play 30mins.

This isn't disciplinary. If they are healthy they will play their normal roles.
I know that. I was referring to Miller's quote

“You have to practice to play in the game, certainly to start, because it’s a team sport,” Miller said. “We’ll see how those two guys are.”

If they were healthy and didn't practice they would still play but not start. Which doesn't matter because they would still get starter minutes.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

RondaeShimmy wrote:"Typically, UA players who miss significant practice time before a week do not start, but Green and Mannion had both Thursday and Friday’s practices to prove themselves and are expected at least to play. (Miller does not usually issue further health updates after his weekly news conferences until the next game.)"
stupid Daily Star, read all the articles I can for a month and can't view this one.

Is it saying they did practice Th/Fr or am I reading that wrong?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Jefe wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:"Typically, UA players who miss significant practice time before a week do not start, but Green and Mannion had both Thursday and Friday’s practices to prove themselves and are expected at least to play. (Miller does not usually issue further health updates after his weekly news conferences until the next game.)"
stupid Daily Star, read all the articles I can for a month and can't view this one.

Is it saying they did practice Th/Fr or am I reading that wrong?
Injuries, illness may limit several Wildcats in game at Baylor
By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Dec 6, 2019 Updated 2 hrs ago

Already facing by far their toughest test of the season Saturday at Baylor, the Arizona Wildcats learned this week it might be a little more difficult.

A follow-up X-ray revealed backup forward Stone Gettings suffered a facial fracture last Friday against Penn, in addition to the concussion he suffered, while starters Nico Mannion (continued back tightness) and Josh Green (strep throat) could be limited against Baylor after missing two practices earlier this week.

Speaking before Thursday’s practice, UA coach Sean Miller said Gettings would be out indefinitely but that he wasn’t sure how much Green and Mannion would play because they hadn’t been available to practice.

Typically, UA players who miss significant practice time before a week do not start, but Green and Mannion had both Thursday and Friday’s practices to prove themselves and are expected at least to play. (Miller does not usually issue further health updates after his weekly news conferences until the next game.)

“You have to practice to play in the game, certainly to start, because it’s a team sport,” Miller said. “We’ll see how those two guys are.”

Once he rewatched a little game video from last weekend, Miller didn’t have to see any more about Gettings, who took a hard hit against Penn in the Wooden Legacy semifinals.

“A very, very tough play. You don’t see it much in basketball,” Miller said. “He got tackled right there on the left block. He got the guy on a pump fake and the guy dismembered him. The guy was in the air and Stone was on the ground and had to go in the air — and both forces met.

“Disappointing there was no foul called, but that happens.”

Immediately after the Penn game, Miller said Gettings hadn’t yet shown any concussion symptoms but said Sunday that Gettings developed concussion symptoms overnight after the game.

Gettings stayed in the team hotel during Arizona’s game with Wake Forest on Sunday and took an X-ray upon returning to Tucson. Miller said Gettings has made some progress this week with the concussion itself, but said the fracture means Gettings will likely have to wear a mask for a while whenever he does return.

Since Gettings was already unlikely to play against Baylor because of the concussion — and considering how indispensable Mannion has been — Mannion’s back is a more pressing issue for the Wildcats. Miller said Mannion probably would be able to play Saturday at Baylor but “in what role, I don’t know.”

After the Wooden Legacy championship game last Sunday, Mannion said he didn’t feel as quick laterally even after trying to rehab the injury the day before. He also shot just 3 for 11 from the field on Sunday against Wake Forest after going 11 for 14 against Penn two days earlier.

“But I’ll be good for the next one, I’m going to get home and recover,” Mannion said then. “We’re all a little beat up here playing three games in four days.”

While it’s hard to imagine Mannion playing only a limited role if he’s on the floor, if he does, that likely means more minutes for Jemarl Baker.

The sophomore transfer from Kentucky is averaging 7.2 points and 2.9 assists per game with just three turnovers to his 26 assists, playing an average of 16.8 minutes at both guard spots off the bench so far.

Yet, thanks to UA’s resiliency, none of this appeared to be much of a worry to junior forward Ira Lee, the player UA made available for comment Thursday. Lee said practices were still productive without the three players and that he expected Mannion and Green to return.

“I think that’s the best part about this team — we’ve got a lot of guys that can play, we’ve got a lot of guys that bring a lot of energy every day,” Lee said.

“So I don’t think there’s that much of a drop off from practice.

“Obviously we missed having them and they’ll be good for Saturday, but I don’t think there was any drop-off in practice.”

Lee already played four minutes above his average on Sunday against Wake Forest without Gettings around, and Miller said he could stay deep by looking to freshman center Christian Koloko, which he did briefly on Sunday.

Another option, Miller said, is to play Green at power forward along with three other perimeter players in a smaller lineup, something the Wildcats have already briefly experimented with.

In a way, though, maybe playing a ranked team on the road, and with health issues to boot, is the kind of test the UA needs at this point.

Miller says he would categorize his team as having only “early season success” so far, knowing things will get tougher the rest of this month.

After the visit to Baylor, Arizona will have a home game with Omaha on Dec. 11, a showdown with Gonzaga on Dec. 14 and a semi-neutral game against St. John’s on Dec. 21 in San Francisco.

“I think these four remaining nonconference games are going to challenge us in a big way,” Miller said. “But not until sometimes you fail, or you really get that true test of ‘this is what it feels like to play a great team,’ do you have everybody’s attention.

“And, you know, our team right now might need that. For sure.”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If Nico and Green are ready physically, they'll start. They're the sort of players typical rules don't apply to.
perhaps, but this rule wont be bent for anyone, certainly not at this stage of the season.

the only time i can think it may be bent is in the NCAA Tournament or even Final Four, but even then i would be surprised.

remember, if there are five practices in a week and if the kid(s) practice once in the later part and display the fitness necessary they will play.
I didn't mean bent as in letting kids get away with not practicing. I meant if someone's limited, it can be counted as "participation" if they're not trying to duck practicing.

I can't imagine we'd bench someone who was held out and cleared late. But I'm no insider.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Hey, somebody's got to step up and play Gumby now that he's a star on Twitter.
o'rlly???

https://twitter.com/GaryCrooks" target="_blank

Was laid off from the Spokane newspaper, then went to work for a House campaign where his candidate lost. Trump won there in 2016.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
97cats wrote:
o'rlly???

Was laid off from the Spokane newspaper, then went to work for a House campaign where his candidate lost. Trump won there in 2016.
I hope this doesn't get the 2019-2020 Season Thread moved to the politics board, but it's time to raise funds for Gumby for Congress.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:
Merkin wrote:
97cats wrote:
o'rlly???

I hope this doesn't get the 2019-2020 Season Thread moved to the politics board, but it's time to raise funds for Gumby for Congress.
i'd settle for getting gumby back on the board
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So after watching Baylor run a double at Zeke every possession and watching Jeter flinch and get blocked by more athletic players or even miss at the rim, I would be thrilled to see Koloko get more minutes. I thought he played very well and we will need him against Gonzaga.

More rotation for our bigs and less got our guards (sorry Max). Sure it will be situational but I like that kid
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Another slow start, as expected under Sean Miller. Somehow made it close after playing catch up the whole.game.

I fully expected a loss, yet I'm still bummed about this one. We unfortunately looked soft like Miller said. Got punked and didn't show much fight. Somehow making it close late was a miracle.

Dylan Smith is definitely better this year. But Dylan Smith is going to be on the floor in late crucial moments and do Dylan Smith things. Unfortunately he passed to Josh Green for 3.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I think this team has the "it" that will let it grow from a game like today. Given all the variables involved, I don't view this as a bad loss, but a good learning experience for a team that's going to be better in march than they are today.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:I think this team has the "it" that will let it grow from a game like today. Given all the variables involved, I don't view this as a bad loss, but a good learning experience for a team that's going to be better in march than they are today.
I agree 100%, POM.

Still, I’ve got my eye on next Saturday. That’s a huge game, and it’s in our house. Gotta win that one. We’re due vs. the Zags.
Last edited by Beachcat97 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Nico needs to get healthy. Play Koloko more as well. That's all I've taken from this game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Nico needs to get healthy. Play Koloko more as well. That's all I've taken from this game.
Have you seen Gonzaga yet this year, Choo? Are they a better/worse match-up for us than Baylor?
Dave

Post by Dave »

We need to make teams pay for double teaming Zeke. Saturday is a huge game. It seems like forever since we beat a ranked team (UCLA- 2017)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Senior Jeter needs to man up once Zeke gets doubled. Jeter is playing as soft as Channing Frye did as a sophomore.
prh

Post by prh »

I'm ok with Smith passing to Green instead of taking a terrible 3 moving to his left. I'm not ok with him fouling the 87% FT shooter before an inbound at the end. And I'm really not pleased that he didn't get the ball to Nico immediately after the final rebound.