let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SunnyAZ

Re: let's talk '20

Post by SunnyAZ »

84Cat wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:I cannot think of any student who would not drop out of college to make $500K per year to play basketball all day.
Soloman Hill played 4 years and makes $12 million/year. How much is Grant Jarrett making? How about Stanley Johnson? Crazy that TJ & Stanley make about the same amount of money now
I really don't think you want to compare average O&D salaries to average 4 year salaries lol

I hope Dalen is good enough to be a 1&D too
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My only hope is that none of our recruits told the coaches they’d give the program one year and then they were 100% going to bounce. That would disappoint me if we still offered them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote:
Ned Zissou wrote:I cannot think of any student who would not drop out of college to make $500K per year to play basketball all day.
Soloman Hill played 4 years and makes $12 million/year. How much is Grant Jarrett making? How about Stanley Johnson? Crazy that TJ & Stanley make about the same amount of money now
16 of the top 21 paid players the NBA this season played college ball for two or more years.

Why 21 instead of 20? Because Lillard is the 21st and he has the highest contract of all time. Without him it would be 15 out of the top 20.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote:My only hope is that none of our recruits told the coaches they’d give the program one year and then they were 100% going to bounce. That would disappoint me if we still offered them.
I'd be entirely fine with Azuolas and Tautvilas Tubelis playing with the stated expectation of a single season here. In fact I hope that's the case so we could make that part of our offer to Banchero - an open starting spot at his PF position.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

PHXCATS wrote:
16 of the top 21 paid players the NBA this season played college ball for two or more years.

Why 21 instead of 20? Because Lillard is the 21st and he has the highest contract of all time. Without him it would be 15 out of the top 20.
13 of the top 21 biggest contracts are by O&D players (excluding foreign players who played overseas instead of college).

I think the per season is a little biased because older players can make more per year. And players stayed in college longer 10+ years ago.
also because shooting was undervalued at the time.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

SunnyAZ wrote:
84Cat wrote:
I really don't think you want to compare average O&D salaries to average 4 year salaries lol

I hope Dalen is good enough to be a 1&D too
I was trying to compare players with similar skills sets when they entered the UA. Did Ayton have the same expectations as Soloman Hill?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

SunnyAZ wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

13 of the top 21 biggest contracts are by O&D players (excluding foreign players who played overseas instead of college).

I think the per season is a little biased because older players can make more per year. And players stayed in college longer 10+ years ago.
also because shooting was undervalued at the time.
I dont get the math. Taking out the Intl' and including Lebron as OAD that is only 11 of 21, I guess that is a small enough difference to ignore for some. But of those OAD who many were not top 10 picks? Tobias and Booker? I believe the point that was being made is marginal OAD's do not make much or last long in the league, transcendent talent will always be transcendent talent and that profile does not really fit Dalen from what I have seen of him. As Choo said if he is a OAD talent, that is great news for Arizona and I will be ecstatic. The fear though is he is another Kobi Simmons or Grant Jarrett who doesn't really have the talent justify the quick jump but may go that route anyway.

1. Russ - 2 yrs @ UCLA
2. Steph - 3 yrs @ Davidson
3. Klay - 3 yrs @ Wazzu
4. Tobias Harris (LOL at that contract) - OAD @ Tenn
5. Khris Middleton - 3 yrs @ TAMU
6. Blake - 2 yrs @ OU
7. Harden - 2 yrs @ ASU
7. Wall - OAD @ Kentucky
9. Murray - OAD @ Kentucky
9. Simmons - OAD @ LSU
11. Durant - OAD @ Texas
12. CP3 - 2 yrs @ Wake
13. KAT - OAD @ Kentucky
13. Kristaps - Intl'
13. Booker - OAD @ Kentucky
16. Lebron - HS
17. Conley - OAD @ OSU
18. Jokic - Intl'
18. Embiid - OAD @ Kansas
18. Wiggins - OAD @ Kansas
21. Butler - 3 yrs @ Marquette
21. Kemba - 3yrs @ UCONN
23. Dame - 4 yrs @ Weber St.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

https://www.basketball-reference.com/co ... ayers.html" target="_blank

that's what I went off of, sorted by total guaranteed $

Dlo, jaylen, Klove, KD, Wiggins, Embiid, Wall, Irving, KAT, Booker, Murray, Ben, Tobias

just off memory so might be wrong

but we should move on lol in a wildcat forum

edit: well I guess that might be total $ left on their contract and not the original contract, either way 1&D are doing swell lol
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The guy was courted by the G league as they dangled that money carrot in front of him. That has to be the temptation. Some guys just want to get paid to work on their game or they hate school that much. No way Terry is a top 15-30 pick. I know wings that can guard multiple positions are coveted but his game has holes
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Miller just said that we need to get BWill back on his media discussion a little bit ago. Personally I don't see that happening as that would mean someone like Ira Lee would be leaving the program or someone else would be losing a scholarship. Thoughts?
I said what I said and I mean it.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

azcat49 wrote:The guy was courted by the G league as they dangled that money carrot in front of him. That has to be the temptation. Some guys just want to get paid to work on their game or they hate school that much. No way Terry is a top 15-30 pick. I know wings that can guard multiple positions are coveted but his game has holes
Exactly. These top 50 players typically don't want to be in school for more than one season, even if they are not ultimately NBA ready. He arguably has NBA potential, but who knows how many years it will take for him to get there. Unfortunately few of these players ever look at the college opportunity as a possible multi-year development opportunity, if that is what it takes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Miller just said that we need to get BWill back on his media discussion a little bit ago. Personally I don't see that happening as that would mean someone like Ira Lee would be leaving the program or someone else would be losing a scholarship. Thoughts?
Correct me if I'm wrong, Choo and others, but aren't we basically 100% sure that BWill isn't playing basketball for AZ again?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:Miller just said that we need to get BWill back on his media discussion a little bit ago. Personally I don't see that happening as that would mean someone like Ira Lee would be leaving the program or someone else would be losing a scholarship. Thoughts?
Correct me if I'm wrong, Choo and others, but aren't we basically 100% sure that BWill isn't playing basketball for AZ again?
I don't think there is a scholarship for him, if memory serves.

I imagine like Ray Smith, his athletic scholarship will transition into an academic one once he medically retires.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If you watch the presser yesterday, Sean says it will work itself out. Last year we had 3 changes to our team from Memorial day until the start of the season
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would imagine for appearance sake, we are giving as much rope and hope as we can to BWill but we know there is no credible DR that will green light his return. Young man needs to be able to run with his kids in his thirties
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
From what I'm told if he wants to play bball again it won't be at Arizona.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

[Insert image of smiling Jim Carry with tooth gap and bad haircut]
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Interesting. I mean, as others have pointed out, Miller's roster moves over the past few months indicate that BWill will not be part of the 2020-21 team. But who knows.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
From what I'm told if he wants to play bball again it won't be at Arizona.
Medical liability?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

So who gets Romar'd in the summer?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Glad to see Brandon has been cleared. From what I know, he is not going anywhere.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No one from Arizona has cleared him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just an uneducated guess, but reads like Williams is prepping in order to transfer and continue to play basketball.

I don't expect him ever to play in an UA uniform again.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:No one from Arizona has cleared him.
I guess the article puts all those comments by Miller casually in the context of the clearance. If Arizona hasn't cleared him, that was an unhelpful article.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:
I guess the article puts all those comments by Miller casually in the context of the clearance. If Arizona hasn't cleared him, that was an unhelpful article.
He hasn't been in Tucson since our last home game.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
He hasn't been in Tucson since our last home game.
He ought to transfer to BYU...

...everyone else has. :o

Actually - My guess is he will probably transfer to a school close to home.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Help me out: if he's actually cleared -- as in, no longer being affected by the injury/condition -- why aren't we trying to keep him?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Help me out: if he's actually cleared -- as in, no longer being affected by the injury/condition -- why aren't we trying to keep him?
He has no cartilage in his knee. There's no telling if he'll ever be remotely close to what he once was (the odds are very good he never will be) and that's disregarding the fact of the liability of putting him back out on the court in an Arizona uniform.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Help me out: if he's actually cleared -- as in, no longer being affected by the injury/condition -- why aren't we trying to keep him?
He has no cartilage in his knee. There's no telling if he'll ever be remotely close to what he once was (the odds are very good he never will be) and that's disregarding the fact of the liability of putting him back out on the court in an Arizona uniform.
No cartilage in his knee and yet he's being cleared to play? Something doesn't add up. Is the clearance report bullshit? Do AZ's doctors set a higher bar for medical clearance?
prh

Post by prh »

I would guess the report came from his camp

He could play, just deal with the pain. Brandon Roy 2.0

At some point, Miller and the UA has a responsibility to say, we are not going to put a player on the court who is destroying himself. We don't talk about that much in basketball, but we've seen it become big in football.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
No cartilage in his knee and yet he's being cleared to play? Something doesn't add up. Is the clearance report bullshit? Do AZ's doctors set a higher bar for medical clearance?
From Miller's recent comments, Williams was ready for basketball activities at the end of the season. Importantly though: that's just another stage of observation and rehab - Arizona doctors/trainers need to see how he physically responds to increased activity (and keep working with him to fix issues that will arise). Realistically, he's likely fine to play a game of basketball. But with the lost cartilage in his knee, the wear and inflammation from practicing and playing will likely prevent him from playing a season (at least from Arizona's perspective).

I've got reduced cartilage in my right knee from high school wrestling (so many sprawls...) - I'm "okay" to run, but I know that when I approach the 2 mile mark, my knee will swell up and stop working. I'm cleared to run like Brandon is cleared to play basketball.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Very well worded quote from Miller, especially the end. BWill is not accepting that this needs to be the end of his playing career
“I think the number one thing we can control is whenever we’re allowed to get him back here, we’re going to do that,” Miller said. “He’ll have our doctors, we’ll have new MRIs, he’ll be able to hopefully pick up where he left off, and give it his best to finish what he started. But for us or anybody to speculate on his future when he was never able to finish the crucial part of his recovery, that’s just not fair right now. I think we just have to let this play out. If we didn’t hit the (corona)virus, I think all the answers would be clearly on the table. Number one, I think he would know himself how healthy he is and what he can and can’t do.”
prh

Post by prh »

We constantly discuss how the NCAA takes advantage of athletes, it's a business, etc. If 9 months from now, BWill can't play in the tournament, and it comes out that he can't even walk around campus, what would people across the country be saying? That Miller destroyed a player for his/our own gain

Hell, there was lots of talk like that when baseball won the natty in 2012, multiple ESPN guys continuously dragged Lopez for overworking his pitchers. Factor in how much Sean has to be aware of and concerned with his public perception and reputation. I don't blame him at all if he refuses to let BW play again (for us).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:We constantly discuss how the NCAA takes advantage of athletes, it's a business, etc. If 9 months from now, BWill can't play in the tournament, and it comes out that he can't even walk around campus, what would people across the country be saying? That Miller destroyed a player for his/our own gain

Hell, there was lots of talk like that when baseball won the natty in 2012, multiple ESPN guys continuously dragged Lopez for overworking his pitchers. Factor in how much Sean has to be aware of and concerned with his public perception and reputation. I don't blame him at all if he refuses to let BW play again (for us).
They did the same to Jay Johnson during his CWS run. ESPN hates them some Arizona baseball.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:We constantly discuss how the NCAA takes advantage of athletes, it's a business, etc. If 9 months from now, BWill can't play in the tournament, and it comes out that he can't even walk around campus, what would people across the country be saying? That Miller destroyed a player for his/our own gain

They did the same to Jay Johnson during his CWS run. ESPN hates them some Arizona baseball.
They do that to every college team that is not from the SEC or ACC. They accused Rice of it for Wayne Graham's entire career.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

legallykenny wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

They do that to every college team that is not from the SEC or ACC. They accused Rice of it for Wayne Graham's entire career.
Oh I totally believe it. Baseball doesn't exist outside of those two conferences if it were up to ESPN.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Oh I totally believe it. College sports doesn't exist outside of those two conferences if it were up to ESPN.
FIFY
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I literally thought that after I hit post.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo who was better in their practice battles, Akinjo or Nico?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Choo who was better in their practice battles, Akinjo or Nico?
Don't know.who got the better of whom, but Akinjo was very very good if that's what you really want to know. The guy has proven he's more than good enough for this level of ball.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Apparently Bwill posted he was playing pickup last week. Today I saw on twitter that Donavan Mitchell and his Jazz teammates were getting some run in at the Mamba Academy against some other pros and local college guys including Bwill.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NickyBCats wrote:Apparently Bwill posted he was playing pickup last week. Today I saw on twitter that Donavan Mitchell and his Jazz teammates were getting some run in at the Mamba Academy against some other pros and local college guys including Bwill.
Glad to hear he's back out hooping but I hope BWill is relying on some capable medical partners to assess and repair his body as he turns up the intensity. There's a potential for a young guy to push through the pain of recovery and come out the other side, but if we're looking at long term physical success for BWill... nothing beats the kind of structured approach that the Arizona medical staff was hoping to complete with Williams.
BeardownZonaZona

So I saw yesterday we made the final 8 for Alex Tchikou, a 6'11 forward out of Phoenix. He announced this after we reclassified to this year's recruiting class. Only scenario I see us be able to get him is if BWill leaves and T. Tubelis becomes a walk-on. What are the odds we get him and what does that mean for our scholarship situation?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:So I saw yesterday we made the final 8 for Alex Tchikou, a 6'11 forward out of Phoenix. He announced this after we reclassified to this year's recruiting class. Only scenario I see us be able to get him is if BWill leaves and T. Tubelis becomes a walk-on. What are the odds we get him and what does that mean for our scholarship situation?
There's more than one way to skin a cat in regards to our scholarship situation. I'd expect him to go to Oregon honestly, but Arizona is certainly trying.
BeardownZonaZona

Thanks Choo!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:So I saw yesterday we made the final 8 for Alex Tchikou, a 6'11 forward out of Phoenix. He announced this after we reclassified to this year's recruiting class. Only scenario I see us be able to get him is if BWill leaves and T. Tubelis becomes a walk-on. What are the odds we get him and what does that mean for our scholarship situation?
There's more than one way to skin a cat in regards to our scholarship situation. I'd expect him to go to Oregon honestly, but Arizona is certainly trying.
It would be wise of Sean to keep at least one kid who has been in the program for more than 1 year around.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
It would be wise of Sean to keep at least one kid who has been in the program for more than 1 year around.
Could not agree more Chicat. Plus I have read some Rickertesque reports on his circle.