let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: let's talk '20

Post by UAEebs86 »

baycat93 wrote:
Could not agree more Chicat. Plus I have read some Rickertesque reports on his circle.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CJ Walker is transferring out of Oregon, so I'd take that as a good sign to where Tchikou is going.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:CJ Walker is transferring out of Oregon
Called this before the season started - knew he was going to get relegated to bench minutes at the four
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ChooChooCat wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:So I saw yesterday we made the final 8 for Alex Tchikou, a 6'11 forward out of Phoenix. He announced this after we reclassified to this year's recruiting class. Only scenario I see us be able to get him is if BWill leaves and T. Tubelis becomes a walk-on. What are the odds we get him and what does that mean for our scholarship situation?
There's more than one way to skin a cat in regards to our scholarship situation. I'd expect him to go to Oregon honestly, but Arizona is certainly trying.
What cat might get skinned?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:So I saw yesterday we made the final 8 for Alex Tchikou, a 6'11 forward out of Phoenix. He announced this after we reclassified to this year's recruiting class. Only scenario I see us be able to get him is if BWill leaves and T. Tubelis becomes a walk-on. What are the odds we get him and what does that mean for our scholarship situation?
There's more than one way to skin a cat in regards to our scholarship situation. I'd expect him to go to Oregon honestly, but Arizona is certainly trying.
What cat might get skinned?
None, now.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

is makur maker gonna be eligible this year?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

SunnyAZ wrote:is makur maker gonna be eligible this year?
Don't think there's gonna be a season, man. So probably a non-issue.

I've yet to see a plausible outline of travel, venue scheduling and safety guidelines for NCAA hoops. Or football, for that matter.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

BWill has been posting workout/5 on 5 vids from I think the San Antonio Sports Academy. Speed looks good and his shot is on point :cry:
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:BWill has been posting workout/5 on 5 vids from I think the San Antonio Sports Academy. Speed looks good and his shot is on point :cry:

What does that mean? Transfer or professional? IIRC, the UA already used his scholarship.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

AZ hasn't made anything official even though its clear we recruited over him. He's playing full contact and working hard on his game at some training academy. Really sad he won't be in an AZ uniform. Wish I could find the videos he posted up a couple days ago. Spin move in the lane swishing a floater, deep 3s, everything. Wherever he goes I will cheer him on. Except asu

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

What are the odds his knees hold up though? I just don't think he has much of a future with no cartilage left in his knees.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

AZCatGirl wrote:What are the odds his knees hold up though? I just don't think he has much of a future with no cartilage left in his knees.
Yeah the concern isn't "can he play high level basketball" - it's "can he play high level basketball for an entire season." And for the last three seasons the answer has been the same: No.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wow. So 2 free throws or?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote:Wow. So 2 free throws or?
Fast break lay up.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Kerr highlights from above game
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Incredible game for him. Very exciting
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

How Arizona would it be for these awesome Euro recruits to commit to the Wildcats but they never show up because the virus is out of control? Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dosia wrote:How Arizona would it be for these awesome Euro recruits to commit to the Wildcats but they never show up because the virus is out of control? Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
They're going to show up and there is going to be a season. What that season looks like though is anybody's guess.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I cant imagine an empty McKale
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Dosia wrote:How Arizona would it be for these awesome Euro recruits to commit to the Wildcats but they never show up because the virus is out of control? Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.
They're going to show up and there is going to be a season. What that season looks like though is anybody's guess.
I wouldn't be so sure.

UofA... which has been adamant about fully reopening in August... is now basically going all online except for necessary class time like science labs, etc.

It's hard to make the case that sports are necessary
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure.

UofA... which has been adamant about fully reopening in August... is now basically going all online except for necessary class time like science labs, etc.

What happened to our local professors, BJBJ and Longhorned?

Haven't heard that officially though, just cutting class sizes by 50% or more.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure.

What happened to our local professors, BJBJ and Longhorned?

Haven't heard that officially though, just cutting class sizes by 50% or more.
Not sure if it's official yet.... but it's happening. The reopening plan at the UofA has literally changed every week.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

It’s official as a “ramp up” strategy. We will start the first week fully online except contact-essential courses. Then they will evaluate, but we will always be given at least one week notice before going back to in-person modality. So that means a minimum of the first 2 weeks online. And there will also be remote teaching after Thanksgiving, though I’m not sure if that’s campus-wide.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure.

Sports are necessary in the sense if you get rid of them for a year you're probably not getting mpst of them back. They fully intend on playing football this year and I can't imagine the same doesn't go for the other sport that networks pay for in basketball.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I’m sure they will do that, just as baseball has done that. And when there are major outbreaks there will be a re-evaluation. If somebody dies, there will undoubtedly be lawsuits. And dead people.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Online school.
That is going to devastate a lot of businesses.
If you were in California, would you bother getting a place to stay?
Or sit at home?
Even if they say week three is in person, they will still give students a week or two grace period or the option to stay online. That’s a month of food and housing revenue.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Talking to my daughter today and her old sorority is doing their rush online. She said some foreign students are staying home for now. Yeah, businesses are in for a tough time. A friend of ours is a co-owner of a restaurant on 4th avenue and he also is a manager of a bar. He's now on unemployment.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Sports are necessary in the sense if you get rid of them for a year you're probably not getting mpst of them back. They fully intend on playing football this year and I can't imagine the same doesn't go for the other sport that networks pay for in basketball.
Stanford already dropped 11 sports. I imagine that will be the norm. If it wasn't for Title IX, all women sports would be dropped along with all non revenue men's sports.

As the Marlins have shown, you need to play in a bubble which is impossible with college sports.

Not being able to pay to play for FCS and directional FBS schools has to be devastating to the AD for those schools.
Postmaster wrote:Online school.
That is going to devastate a lot of businesses.
If you were in California, would you bother getting a place to stay?
Or sit at home?
Even if they say week three is in person, they will still give students a week or two grace period or the option to stay online. That’s a month of food and housing revenue.

Out here in Cali, half the restaurants that closed will never reopen. My college son goes to Cal Poly which is almost 100% online. If he was going to the UA as an out of state student he would be staying here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

84Cat wrote:Talking to my daughter today and her old sorority is doing their rush online. She said some foreign students are staying home for now. Yeah, businesses are in for a tough time. A friend of ours is a co-owner of a restaurant on 4th avenue and he also is a manager of a bar. He's now on unemployment.
A lot of kids will still be coming back to Tucson, mostly because lots have already signed leases before the pandemic even started. But I'd still expect probably half of the students don't come to Tucson this year if they have everything online. All those University dependent businesses are going to have to live on like 1/3 the normal revenue of a fall semester.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:
84Cat wrote:Talking to my daughter today and her old sorority is doing their rush online. She said some foreign students are staying home for now. Yeah, businesses are in for a tough time. A friend of ours is a co-owner of a restaurant on 4th avenue and he also is a manager of a bar. He's now on unemployment.
A lot of kids will still be coming back to Tucson, mostly because lots have already signed leases before the pandemic even started. But I'd still expect probably half of the students don't come to Tucson this year if they have everything online. All those University dependent businesses are going to have to live on like 1/3 the normal revenue of a fall semester.
Numbers of UofA students coming back to Tucson is dropping swiftly and gets worse every day.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Stanford already dropped 11 sports. I imagine that will be the norm. If it wasn't for Title IX, all women sports would be dropped along with all non revenue men's sports.

As the Marlins have shown, you need to play in a bubble which is impossible with college sports.

Not being able to pay to play for FCS and directional FBS schools has to be devastating to the AD for those schools.
Yeah, Stanford had way too many sports programs honestly. Most of those programs that were eliminated were on borrowed time.

Lower level school athletics are absolutely screwed. If they don't get the pay money from the big programs they are absolutely DOA. On the bright side this could lead to the Power 5 finally leaving and doing their own thing.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UofA won't let students congregate on campus.... if I was a "student-athlete" I would demand to be paid if the Admin really aren't even pretending anymore
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Baseball is about to implode.

How are college athletics going to work?

Here's a hint..... It won't
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Baseball is about to implode.

Football has zero chance. Sorta feels like hoops could be influenced by this NBA bubble experiment.

Have all the Pac teams quarantined in a similar bubble in Vegas, Denver or somewhere in California. Do a shorter conference schedule. Top four teams get tourney bids.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Football has zero chance. Sorta feels like hoops could be influenced by this NBA bubble experiment.

Have all the Pac teams quarantined in a similar bubble in Vegas, Denver or somewhere in California. Do a shorter conference schedule. Top four teams get tourney bids.
Incompatible with the fact that the players are, supposedly (cough, cough), student-athletes....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Incompatible with the fact that the players are, supposedly (cough, cough), student-athletes....
Online classes? My campus has been entirely online since March. Not sure why that would change during the 2020-21 AY.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Online classes? My campus has been entirely online since March. Not sure why that would change during the 2020-21 AY.
Same at Cal Poly SLO where I used to work and my son is now taking classes in his Software Engineering major. No changes planned.

I know some players like Chris Rodgers were excellent students with real majors, but it seems many are like Luke Walton, who was a Family Studies major.

Looking at last seasons UA basketball players

Ira Lee:
Undergraduate - College of Soc & Behav Sci - Sociology
Undergraduate - College of Soc & Behav Sci - Thematic

Brandon Williams:
Undergraduate - College of Soc & Behav Sci - Communication

Dylan Smith:
Graduate - Graduate Degree Seeking - Development Practice

Chase Jeter:
Undergraduate - Eller College of Management - Pre-Business

Jemarl Baker:
Undergraduate - College of Soc & Behav Sci - Communication
Undergraduate - College of Soc & Behav Sci - Thematic

Stone Gettings:
Graduate - Graduate Degree Seeking - Entrepreneurship

Zeke Nnaji:
Graduate - Graduate Degree Seeking - Entrepreneurship

Christian Coloko:
Undergraduate - Eller College of Management - Pre-Business
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Online classes?

Online games! :shock:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
pc in NM wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Yes... UofA is going almost entirely online... for the safety of the students.... are University athletes not students too? It's a joke.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What I meant is that while classes will be online, there may still emerge a way for some sports to resume. Having a Pac 12 hoops season while the campus is closed is no different from Kawhi Leonard finishing out his season while spending his off-days completing an online degree. What's happening with the NBA in Florida, if successful, could become a model for COVID era hoops going forward.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How was Zeke doing a Graduate degree?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote:How was Zeke doing a Graduate degree?
Copy and paste error on my part, should have been: Undergraduate - Eller College of Management - Pre-Business
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ok
Thought there might be some Doogie Howser stuff going on
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NickyBCats wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 am James Akinjo entered the portal yesterday. We were in on him before he ended up at GTown. Would help at PG next season. I imagine we’ve already reached out?
Something I learned today, everyone gets a free transfer, but only if it's your first one. Akinjo will have to sit out a year if he does transfer.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... mmediately

The Division I Council granted a blanket waiver allowing all transfer student-athletes to compete immediately this season if specific criteria are met.

In order to be eligible for the waiver, the transfer student-athletes must meet the following conditions:

They must be enrolled full time at the school for the fall 2020 term.
It must be the first transfer from a four-year school.
The student-athlete must have left their previous school in good standing academically and not facing disciplinary suspension.
Both the head coach and the student-athlete must certify that impermissible recruiting did not take place.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Wow. I wouldn't think he wants to wait 2 years before he turns pro. Could bode well for us unless he wants to go Euro.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Merkin wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:15 am
NickyBCats wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 am James Akinjo entered the portal yesterday. We were in on him before he ended up at GTown. Would help at PG next season. I imagine we’ve already reached out?
Something I learned today, everyone gets a free transfer, but only if it's your first one. Akinjo will have to sit out a year if he does transfer.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... mmediately

The Division I Council granted a blanket waiver allowing all transfer student-athletes to compete immediately this season if specific criteria are met.

In order to be eligible for the waiver, the transfer student-athletes must meet the following conditions:

They must be enrolled full time at the school for the fall 2020 term.
It must be the first transfer from a four-year school.
The student-athlete must have left their previous school in good standing academically and not facing disciplinary suspension.
Both the head coach and the student-athlete must certify that impermissible recruiting did not take place.
If that is correct, that would also apply to Jemarl Baker and several other guys who I am hearing will be available this year (Mclung, Marcus Carr, etc.)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Unless Akinjo has a pro opportunity somewhere right now, I can't really see how there's a better opportunity than the one he has with AZ.