How about that railing?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

How about that railing?

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Yeah, um, why the hell is that there again?

Just glad RHJ is ok.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

UAGreg

Re: How about that railing?

Post by UAGreg »

Dumbest idea ever
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I know they added railing to help with safety, but I don't think they thought it through where to add them. That collision scared me for a second.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

AZCatGirl wrote:I know they added railing to help with safety, but I don't think they thought it through where to add them. That collision scared me for a second.
what safety?

Has there been a rash of bluehair's storming the court at McKale?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Can they put some kind of padding over it at least? Or better yet remove it? RHJ was pissed at that railing.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:I know they added railing to help with safety, but I don't think they thought it through where to add them. That collision scared me for a second.
what safety?

Has there been a rash of bluehair's storming the court at McKale?
Mainly for the stairs. I thought that was a smart idea.

Why there's some that close to the court... not so smart.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Hope Miller gets that taken care of. I'm sure he would have something to say to Byrne
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Can't stand it. I always think of Florida's crappy arena when I see the railing although are's isn't even close to that bad. Not having them was a great thing about McKale. Sign of the times I guess for safety.
azdoubledown

Post by azdoubledown »

Really an ill advised addition to the arena, they need to replace it.

Something fixed and metal like that is a hazard. Let's think outside the box - surround the court with a moat!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Need it since all the people that sit there are fall and broken hip risks.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Need it since all the people that sit there are fall and broken hip risks.
Yeah, probably best to have our players break hips when they hit it.

The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

I heard from someone who has season tickets that the cup holders on the seats are completely unusable because they aren't deep enough to handle a drink (falls right the fuck out) and the arm rests are way too short. You can't even use them.

That's crazy. You'd think they'd have tried the damn things out before they put in nearly 15,000.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The Butcher wrote:I heard from someone who has season tickets that the cup holders on the seats are completely unusable because they aren't deep enough to handle a drink (falls right the fuck out) and the arm rests are way too short. You can't even use them.

That's crazy. You'd think they'd have tried the damn things out before they put in nearly 15,000.
Cup holders... Proving people will complain about anything.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The Butcher wrote:I heard from someone who has season tickets that the cup holders on the seats are completely unusable because they aren't deep enough to handle a drink (falls right the fuck out) and the arm rests are way too short. You can't even use them.

The average age of these complainants has to be at least 60
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Catatonic

Post by Catatonic »

Let's not have a Paul George incident here. A Players program should put player safety first and seeing Rondae land so hard there was disturbing.

The Paul George incident was because of an irregulars distance to the stanchion, but this is a similarly unexpected hazard for the players.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Must have been a faulty cup holder. The seats I've been in have been able to hold a drink, and I noticed the same thing with the people around me.

I'm surprised there are people who actually use the arm rests. I've never been to sit back and relax like that during a game.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the railing behind the court-side seats is easily the dumbest thing the did with the upgrades.

very very very dangerous
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What would you all think about getting started with an online petition at Change.org to remove the metal railing behind the seats and behind the benches? It would come from concerned fans who fear for the safety of the players, especially visiting players who will be less aware of its presence? Whatever the stated purpose of the railing, it's a serious risk for bodily injury. We could attach to the petition a video of Rondae Hollis-Jefferson colliding with the rail when jumping after a loose ball.

It would probably need a lot of support. Potentially, a high level administrator could also want this done, but would need to demonstrate some degree of pressure to get it done because this is expensive.

The description of the railing is vague, so that will need some help (I haven't seen it in person).

What are your thoughts?

Whom do you want to petition?

Greg Byrne, Director of Athletics, University of Arizona

What do you want them to do?

Immediately remove the metal railing behind the front row seats and behind the benches at the McKale Center in Tucson, Arizona.

Why is this important?

The metal railing poses a serious and immediate risk for bodily injury to the players, including brain injuries. Players commonly leap from the court in order to save loose balls. One player for the home team, Arizona, collided with the railing during the first game of the season. This is a major safety issue that cannot wait for a replacement solution. Any longer term solution should be attended to following the removal of the railing. The danger is only hightened for visiting players who are less aware of its presence.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Has an online petition ever accomplished anything?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

why the hell is that stupid railing in anyway?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:why the hell is that stupid railing in anyway?
For security. The idea is to prevent ticket holders from going onto the court. When has this ever been a problem? And why would you sacrifice safety for security?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote:

Cup holders... Proving people will complain about anything.

I complained about it cause they are useless. Brought my 2 year old, who constantly wants liquids, and found it to be annoying in its current location. Not a big deal, but pretty useless if you actually want to use a cup holder.

The railing on the other hand makes zero sense.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:why the hell is that stupid railing in anyway?
For security. The idea is to prevent ticket holders from going onto the court. When has this ever been a problem? And why would you sacrifice safety for security?
I hear you...so stupid, its not like McKale needs to rush the court for any reason, especially for the foreseeable future.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

On that note, anyone think it might be a mandated change as in the NCAA wants to prevent court storming?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Railing is the hallmark of the Internet. If we can't rail here, where can we rail. Just leave it be!
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The cupholders were made to hold the larger AZ branded plastic cups. If you buy a regular paper cup drink there is some wiggle room so I assume that's what he is talking about. They are about 2.5" deep and I havent had a problem yet. The arm rests are pretty short though so if you use the cup holder, the arm rest becomes an elbow rest.

Row 9 seats and lower you can move the arm rest and cupholder completely out of the way. Not necessary for most as there is more room between the arm rests in those rows compared to rows 10-32. Ive heard multiple complaints from people around me at each game so far on the width in rows 10-32

The rails are pretty well hidden now that the floor seats are back but you dont dare try to jump over that row or you will get close-lined like Rondae almost was
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Byrne is on 1290 @ 4:00. I just tweeted him and Woodman a question about the railing.

If a few others do the same maybe he'll answer today.

@Kevin1290
@Greg_Byrne
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Byrne is on 1290 @ 4:00. I just tweeted him and Woodman a question about the railing.

@Kevin1290
@Greg_Byrne
be interesting to see if he responds.

I just don't see any value in that tiny, short railing. It's not stopping anyone who wants to go onto the court, and it's definitely an impediment if you have a team where players go all out for loose balls.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:Byrne is on 1290 @ 4:00. I just tweeted him and Woodman a question about the railing.

@Kevin1290
@Greg_Byrne
be interesting to see if he responds.

I just don't see any value in that tiny, short railing. It's not stopping anyone who wants to go onto the court, and it's definitely an impediment if you have a team where players go all out for loose balls.
They didn't address it. Talked about just about all the other changes (lighting, floor access, seat width)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I had row 4 seats last game and noticed that the walkway in front of Row 1 is now like 4' wide. You can see it here:

Much wider than it used to be. There is a about a 2' drop from that platform to the floor so I think they had to put those rails in due to code. The floor seats are right up against the rails so I don't know why anyone would try to go down there anyways. Sucks for players trying to save a ball though
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Somebody insists that all arenas that renovate have to install that railing to comply with code. I asked to see the code, but he ignored me. If true, then we're going to see this in every college and NBA arena before long. And if that's the case, then there needs to be a new rule where it's a violation for any player to leave the court. To prevent players from leaping after loose balls and endangering themselves.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

thx, Jefe -- I agree!

I've sat first row behind the bench in the past yrs (including the Florida game) and the rails are needed for fan safety for sure, that's not debatable at all.

however, the railing right behind the floor seats is one of the dumbest and most uncommon things Ive seen in a arena. put security behind those seats and allow for the player to have unobstructed ability to go after sideline play -- as of now, Greg Byrne has set himself up for a negative in some manner whether a player on AZ or God forbid an opponent really has a nasty injury because of the prison bar retaining walls fastened into the floor

serves no purpose
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Longhorned wrote:Somebody insists that all arenas that renovate have to install that railing to comply with code. I asked to see the code, but he ignored me. If true, then we're going to see this in every college and NBA arena before long. And if that's the case, then there needs to be a new rule where it's a violation for any player to leave the court. To prevent players from leaping after loose balls and endangering themselves.
Codes: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ ... sec028.htm

Before this upgrade the drop off from the last step to the floor was maybe 8"

We had to install a handrail in our office bathroom for handicap customers to get up to code. I imagine rules are a little more stringent for arenas
97cats wrote:put security behind those seats and allow for the player to have unobstructed ability to go after sideline play -- as of now, Greg Byrne has set himself up for a negative in some manner whether a player on AZ or God forbid an opponent really has a nasty injury because of the prison bar retaining walls fastened into the floor

serves no purpose
Wait and see how anal security is now. If you have seats on the other end of a row, they make you go all the way back up to row 17 and go around. They wont let anyone pass in front of row 1 and go to their row. Unless of course you are affiliated with the program then you can do whatever you want. They only allow floor seatholder's to exit where the players come out now as well. Everyone else has to go up to the top to exit and use bathrooms/concessions.