Final 4 in Phx?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Final 4 in Phx?

Post by Alieberman »

Anyone know what year they are discussing?
NYCat

Re: Final 4 in Phx?

Post by NYCat »

Phoecina boner just rose like a Phoenix.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

They could fill University of Phoenix stadium for the semifinal matchups and host the NC title game at Arcadia Tavern.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:Some fan (who'll remain nameless) boner just rose like a Phoenix.
I would have a similar reaction. The FF hasn't been close to Tucson since the domes took over. Being able to drive to the game location, if the Cats made it, that would be a home game, just with 50,000 extra seats. You could hear the U of A chants in Wickenburg.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I wonder of the ASU AD was even invited to the site visit?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

One metropolitan area that has joined the bidding process is Phoenix, with the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona being the proposed host. With hopes of getting the opportunity to host a Final Four at some point during the 2017-2020 “rotation,” officials for the region’s organizing committee are hosting members of the Division I men’s basketball committee Tuesday and Wednesday.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... inal-four/
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I suppose if you can host the Superbowl and the Fiesta Bowl, you can host a Final Four. But how easy is it for visiting attendees to stay near U of Phoenix Stadium or take public transportation back and forth between their hotels, bars, and restaurants? I don't imagine there are tons of taxis. Would everyone have to compete for available rental cars and stay sober while worrying about Sheriff Joe?
Machina

Post by Machina »

Longhorned wrote:I suppose if you can host the Superbowl and the Fiesta Bowl, you can host a Final Four. But how easy is it for visiting attendees to stay near U of Phoenix Stadium or take public transportation back and forth between their hotels, bars, and restaurants? I don't imagine there are tons of taxis. Would everyone have to compete for available rental cars and stay sober while worrying about Sheriff Joe?
There are six hotels, with the Renaissance Glendale being a very big hotel, walking distance from the stadium.

Lots of bars and restaurants walking distance as well.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Because ya know...no one does society, art, sports, culture and dining quite like the west valley of the Phoenix metro area.
Sonora919

Post by Sonora919 »

scumdevils86 wrote:Because ya know...no one does society, art, sports, culture and dining quite like the west valley of the Phoenix metro area.
Considering the only thing they'll need for a F4 is hoops, booze and food they should be all set.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:I suppose if you can host the Superbowl and the Fiesta Bowl, you can host a Final Four. But how easy is it for visiting attendees to stay near U of Phoenix Stadium or take public transportation back and forth between their hotels, bars, and restaurants? I don't imagine there are tons of taxis. Would everyone have to compete for available rental cars and stay sober while worrying about Sheriff Joe?
It always surprises me that UOP can host the Super Bowl but not the FF. The necessary infrastructure can't be that vastly different.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Let's be honest. The toaster sits in Glendale. West side. Not PHX.

There is a difference for us that live here. A big difference.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Considering that 90 percent of my living family and the same percent of my buried relatives are within a mile of the Mother Ship, as my wife and I call it, this is in my backyard.

I'd probably live at the site for those three days regardless of who was playing there.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Final Four at the Arcadia Tavern? I can imagine just what Phoechina is doing at the very thought of it.

It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Uber can give you a Lyft.

Anyway, I hate domes. Ever homer domes. But not Homer's dome. Rather play in The Pit than any dome.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I understand that there's no going back to Final Fours played in basketball arenas, but a ton was lost by moving basketball games into football stadiums. Scale really is important.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Longhorned wrote:I understand that there's no going back to Final Fours played in basketball arenas, but a ton was lost by moving basketball games into football stadiums. Scale really is important.
This would help better, athletic, disciplined team, which I hope Arizona would be against anyone else in the field.

Sure the quality of play may suffer a bit, but all four teams will face the same thing.

Maybe the PAC-12 should move the tournament to Phoenix every year so that it won't be as much of an issue if a PAC-12 team ever reaches the final four.

joke about moving the PAC-12 tournament
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:I understand that there's no going back to Final Fours played in basketball arenas, but a ton was lost by moving basketball games into football stadiums. Scale really is important.
Simple solution: fatter players.
gumby

Post by gumby »

They should play in volleyball sandpits and wear Speedos. Play might suffer, but all teams would face the same obstacles.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... zona-state
The Final Four site selection committee is in Tempe, Ariz., this week, evaluating the potential of Arizona State as a host site for an upcoming NCAA Tournament. At stake is a bid for either of the 2017, 2019 or 2020 Final Fours.

The Sun Devils were passed over last time the selection committee came to Tempe in 2008, so an upcoming bid would assauge the disappointment the school felt that year.

"We knew we wanted to bid again, although that was the first question we asked ourselves," Dawn Rogers, Arizona State senior associate athletic director, told The Arizona Republic. "We talked with (ASU President) Dr. (Michael) Crow to make sure this is something the university wanted to support."

Seven members of the committee were in town on Tuesday taking in the city's scene. They'll stay through Wednesday evaluating several facets of the decision. Public transportation, number of hotels in the area, attractions for fans and venue amenities are just a few of the factors the committee will take into account when considering ASU's bid.

If the bid is approved, Arizona State will not only be the host school — they'll be involved in much of the event itself.

"We think the institutional role is really important, not just in name but in what everything looks like," Rogers said. "We would see at least two of our campuses being heavily involved in the week's activities."

Exposure on the West Coast is another factor that the committee will likely consider valuable. The West hasn't played host to a men's Final Four since the 1995 NCAA Tournament when Seattle had the honors.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Can't wait! :D
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Obviously I have my preference who makes it, but I will likely go regardless. Hopefully I get an option for tickets through the Cardinals like I usually do for U of P events.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Or I can sit in front of my 55" LED TV and be able to get back and forth to mybathroom in about 2 minutes and 2 seconds, and grab another cheap beer while I am at it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is awesome.

Hey 97Cats- What's our projected lineup that year?!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Just imagine if we're in the final 4 that year haha...would be Arizona home games with 40k Arizona fans there
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

How far out will tickets go on sale?
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Did anyone see the ticker at the bottom of the screen on the Pac12 Network when this was announced? It said something to the effect ".... and Commissioner Scott said that is a great for the west and for Arizona State University as they are the host University for the event".

What the CRAP was this about? and what did ASU have to do with getting the event there?

I thought the University of Phoenix was the host.

All I know is that the University a Arizona was not even mentioned as a co host or anything. Have we been dished again?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

For that case - Why not Grand Canyon University or all the Arizona Universities to be Hosts?

Has the Gap closed and I missed it? What is this love affair with ASU? :?

Scott needs to go! :evil:
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

MountainCat wrote:Did anyone see the ticker at the bottom of the screen on the Pac12 Network when this was announced? It said something to the effect ".... and Commissioner Scott said that is a great for the west and for Arizona State University as they are the host University for the event".

What the CRAP was this about? and what did ASU have to do with getting the event there?

I thought the University of Phoenix was the host.

All I know is that the University a Arizona was not even mentioned as a co host or anything. Have we been dished again?

They always have the closest D1 school as the "host". I think it's mostly symbolic-not sure ASU had all that much to do with
getting an event they have never played in occur near their school.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Alieberman wrote:This is awesome.

Hey 97Cats- What's our projected lineup that year?!!

No kidding. That would be a dream come true
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Only way I would attend a game of that magnitude in a football stadium is if I had great seats. Only way I'd get those is if somebody else bought them. I could barely handle the nosebleeds at The Pond. I need to see the game more than I need to be there. I could see hanging around and then decamping to a nearby TV.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Outside of courtside seats the best way to watch an Arizona final 4 would be at a bar in Tucson on 4th or university or downtown
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:Only way I would attend a game of that magnitude in a football stadium is if I had great seats. Only way I'd get those is if somebody else bought them. I could barely handle the nosebleeds at The Pond. I need to see the game more than I need to be there. I could see hanging around and then decamping to a nearby TV.
I imagine many will be watching the game on their phones and tablets while at the game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

How much for that experience?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

This is really cool. The games will be played only a few miles from where I live.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Final Fours are not nearly as enjoyable in the big stadiums as they are in traditional basketball arenas. It will be great if PHX gets one, but I have seen Final Fours in both sized venues and there is no question that traditional basketball arenas are a superior experience on every level.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Hey 97Cats- What's our projected lineup that year?!!
this realistically could be the '16 roster

Cartwright -- Jr
Thornton Jr. -- Fr
Simon -- So
Smith -- So
Ristic -- Jr

Leaf -- Fr
Victor -- Jr
Allen/Pitts -- Sr
Comanche -- So
Cage -- Fr
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I like our chances with that lineup.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote: Hey 97Cats- What's our projected lineup that year?!!
this realistically could be the '16 roster

Cartwright -- Jr
Thornton Jr. -- Fr
Simon -- So
Smith -- So
Ristic -- Jr

Leaf -- Fr
Victor -- Jr
Allen/Pitts -- Sr
Comanche -- So
Cage -- Fr
Do you think that's a Final 4 lineup?
gumby

Post by gumby »

midnightx wrote:Final Fours are not nearly as enjoyable in the big stadiums as they are in traditional basketball arenas. It will be great if PHX gets one, but I have seen Final Fours in both sized venues and there is no question that traditional basketball arenas are a superior experience on every level.
Yep. But $$$ say we must alter the game itself for the final three games. No other sport does this. Criminal.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
midnightx wrote:Final Fours are not nearly as enjoyable in the big stadiums as they are in traditional basketball arenas. It will be great if PHX gets one, but I have seen Final Fours in both sized venues and there is no question that traditional basketball arenas are a superior experience on every level.
Yep. But $$$ say we must alter the game itself for the final three games. No other sport does this. Criminal.
And when we say that "arenas are a superior experience on every level", that includes those at home watching the thing on TV. In watching a stadium game on TV, you can feel the emptiness of space, and you miss the energy of the crowd in a regular season game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spokane just landed first-round (or whatever they're called now) games for 2016. University of Idaho is the host. This doesn't do much for me, because Arizona is always slotted in the southernmost West regional.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Just got an email from the NCAA, I am getting 4 Final Four tickets for April 1 & 3. Won't find out where until November though. Never been to one before
97cats wrote:this realistically could be the '16 roster
Cartwright -- Jr
Thornton Jr. -- Fr
Simon -- So
Smith -- So
Ristic -- Jr

Leaf -- Fr
Victor -- Jr
Allen/Pitts -- Sr
Comanche -- So
Cage -- Fr
5/10 not bad ;)
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Jefe wrote:Just got an email from the NCAA, I am getting 4 Final Four tickets for April 1 & 3. Won't find out where until November though. Never been to one before
Cartwright -- Jr
Thornton Jr. -- Fr
Simon -- So
Smith -- So
Ristic -- Jr

Leaf -- Fr
Victor -- Jr
Allen/Pitts -- Sr
Comanche -- So
Cage -- Fr
5/10 not bad ;)
Dibs on purchasing your tickets after Arizona gets bounced in the Sweet 16, so I can catch my Jayhawks live on their march to a Championship.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Jefe wrote:Just got an email from the NCAA, I am getting 4 Final Four tickets for April 1 & 3. Won't find out where until November though. Never been to one before
Cartwright -- Jr
Thornton Jr. -- Fr
Simon -- So
Smith -- So
Ristic -- Jr

Leaf -- Fr
Victor -- Jr
Allen/Pitts -- Sr
Comanche -- So
Cage -- Fr
5/10 not bad ;)
im beyond embarrassed i showed Cartwright starting -- beyond embarrassed
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:
Cartwright -- Jr
Thornton Jr. -- Fr
Simon -- So
Smith -- So
Ristic -- Jr

Leaf -- Fr
Victor -- Jr
Allen/Pitts -- Sr
Comanche -- So
Cage -- Fr
5/10 not bad ;)
We all had higher hopes. I'm actually more surprised that you thought we'd get Thornton Jr. When have we gotten someone Duke has offered? Pretty sure K gets whomever he wants these days.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:
Cartwright -- Jr
Thornton Jr. -- Fr
Simon -- So
Smith -- So
Ristic -- Jr

Leaf -- Fr
Victor -- Jr
Allen/Pitts -- Sr
Comanche -- So
Cage -- Fr
5/10 not bad ;)
Don't eat humble pie. Beyond embarrassed is halfway to machaca.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just got my tickets in the 400 section, row 15. I should be able to touch the ceiling of the giant toaster, and hopefully make out the players on the jumbotron.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

just booked my hotel and flights -- super excited
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I was excited until I read the details of my flash seats. I will be over the moon if Arizona is in it...