Better starting lineup, 13/14 or 14/15?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Better starting lineup, 13/14 or 14/15?

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm talking about our healthy 13/14 lineup of TJ/NJ/AG/BA/Zeus vs TJ/SJ/RHJ/BA/Zeus.

It's a projection because we haven't seen SJ's fit yet. That said, I'm optimistic 14/15 is more complete and experienced. We'll miss the freaky athleticism, but we should be stronger and we'll be the most seasoned of the top teams.
ASUHATER!

Re: Better starting lineup, 13/14 or 14/15?

Post by ASUHATER! »

well:

junior tj<senior tj
junior nj?sj (no data to compare)
freshman ag=sophomore rhj
sophomore ba<junior ba (as long as he's 100% come november)
sophomore zeus<junior zeus

unless sj is worse than nj significantly in a defense and overall production standpoint, i'd say that with a healthy ashley this year's lineup is better.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Give me last year's lineup with RHJ off the bench. We were defensive gods last year, and a no doubt title team with a healthy BAsh IMO. This year will be good but it won't be as good defensively. Still good enough for a title run, though.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

This year - presumably more offense

Last year - more defense

TJ 15 > No offense horrible shooter TJ 14

Stanley ≠ Nick's 2nd half season legs

Sophomore Shimmy > freshman Gordon, shooting is as legit as McCants making the deans list,

Bash 15 > Bash's foot 14

Zeuszeuski 15 > Can't hold on to the ball 14

its way too early to be discussing bball
Last edited by NYCat on Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CryptoCat

Post by CryptoCat »

TJ 15 > TJ 14 (I think this is no-brainer)
NJ 14 > SJ 15 - This should also be a no-brainer. NJ was an all-american, Pac-12 POY, defensive stud...ya'll think SJ is going to come in and match that, you're crazy. Same kind of thinking as saying Anu would come in and start as a frosh, or Spencer Hawes would average a triple-double. SJ is going to come in and contribute - you bet! At a POY/AA level? On a team as stacked as ours? No way.
RGJ 15 = AG 14 - it's possible RHJ15 is actually better. Let's see a shimmy on those free throws!
14 Bash = 15 Bash - I'm a little concerned about what we've been reading on the recovery time. I expect bash may be somewhat timid at the start of the year, and his minutes will be closely watched. He may be more efficient, but less playing time will probably make it a wash in the end.
Zeus 15 > Zeus 14 - Zeus may end up our most important offensive player. We all saw that playing through Zeus was the most efficient way for us to score. I think Zeus could give us 15 and 8 this season, which I think would lead the team in both categories.

Overall, I think the combination of TJ & Zeus' improvement makes up for the gap between NJ and SJ (because it's not a huge gap).

Where I think we're much, much, much better than in 14 is the bench. No matter who is in foul trouble, or who is having a rough night, there's someone waiting behind them.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Why does everything have to be a comparison? Was the 98 team better than the 97? Who the fuck cares?

I like every team that hits the floor. Just as excited this year as I was last, and so on.

Sorry, I know it's the offseason...but I had to rant.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Defensively 13/14
Offensively 14/15
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

13/14 - Massive, Massive, Massive
14/15 - Massive, Massive, Deep
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Main Event wrote:Defensively 13/14
Offensively 14/15
I agree. But the defense of 14/15 may be so good, the difference doesn't matter, and the stronger offense should be what puts 14/15 over the top. Hopefully Zeus will be improved, and TJ comes around. The sophomore jump of RHJ should be something to behold.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:Why does everything have to be a comparison? Was the 98 team better than the 97? Who the fuck cares?

I like every team that hits the floor. Just as excited this year as I was last, and so on.

Because you touch yourself at night.

I'm surprised at the number of people who think RHJ=AG. I'd need to see RHJ with a consistent jumper before I got on that train. Otherwise, he's really similar, only smaller and not the explosive athlete AG is. Other than free throws and potentially the jumper, I don't see any area Rondae is superior to AG, and AG is superior in a few areas.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Slight nod to 2013-14
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I just spent the better part of the day talking to an old H.S. friend who lost his dad when he was 9. After reading that, I have an urge to shoot myself in the head. I have a 10 year old son. Please...
NYCat wrote:14-15 w/o seeing them play obviously but.. Last year it seemed like a log jam with the lineup resulting in a lot of scoring droughts (late 2nd half). This year a true 1,2,3,4 & 5, here as last year you had Nick who was a combo guard and Gordon (though great defensively and on the boards) was a tweener between a wing and a forward. MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE. More experience, 1 Sr, 2 Jr, a So. McDonald's AA,

Last year - more defense

I rather let them score slightly more if the offense scores more; and its not like this lineup won't do the wear down, the cats still have size, athletic advantage most of the time. Size and athleticism will still affect opposition offenses - need more offense than defense at this point besides the defense is going from an A+ to a A- or B+ not a big dropoff.

Stanley > Nick shows up in the late half only if at all

Sophomore Shimmy > freshman Gordon, shooting is as legit as McCants making the deans list,

Bash 15 > Bash's foot 14

formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Longhorned wrote:
Main Event wrote:Defensively 13/14
Offensively 14/15
I agree. But the defense of 14/15 may be so good, the difference doesn't matter, and the stronger offense should be what puts 14/15 over the top. Hopefully Zeus will be improved, and TJ comes around. The sophomore jump of RHJ should be something to behold.
Rondae shows anything resembling a jumper next season he's the best player in the conference
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I just spent the better part of the day talking to an old H.S. friend who lost his dad when he was 9. After reading that, I have an urge to shoot myself in the head. I have a 10 year old son. Please...
NYCat wrote:14-15 w/o seeing them play obviously but.. Last year it seemed like a log jam with the lineup resulting in a lot of scoring droughts (late 2nd half). This year a true 1,2,3,4 & 5, here as last year you had Nick who was a combo guard and Gordon (though great defensively and on the boards) was a tweener between a wing and a forward. MASSIVE MASSIVE MASSIVE. More experience, 1 Sr, 2 Jr, a So. McDonald's AA,

Last year - more defense

I rather let them score slightly more if the offense scores more; and its not like this lineup won't do the wear down, the cats still have size, athletic advantage most of the time. Size and athleticism will still affect opposition offenses - need more offense than defense at this point besides the defense is going from an A+ to a A- or B+ not a big dropoff.

Stanley > Nick shows up in the late half only if at all

Bash 15 > Bash's foot 14

I hope you didn't mean my post. I'm sorry your friend has to go through that.

I don't post too much seriousness on the internet BC it's nice to get away from the **** that real life brings and just talk basketball. Again, I hope my post(s) weren't bothersome, and sorry about your friend's situation.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Why does everything have to be a comparison? Was the 98 team better than the 97? Who the fuck cares?

I'm surprised at the number of people who think RHJ=AG. I'd need to see RHJ with a consistent jumper before I got on that train. Otherwise, he's really similar, only smaller and not the explosive athlete AG is. Other than free throws and potentially the jumper, I don't see any area Rondae is superior to AG, and AG is superior in a few areas.
I kind of agree with this sentiment. It's more or less surprise at people dismissing the impact losing Gordon and, to a lesser extent, Johnson will have on the defense. I think RHJ returns as our best defender, but he's a perimeter force on defense, not the all-over-the-floor blanket that Gordon was. I think RHJ was already better in a couple areas, mainly offensive vision, his first step and his ability to finish at the rim. He could be better as a sophomore with his jumpshot, and he's probably equally consistently giving effort. Still, he cannot match watch AG brought in terms of defensive force and dynamism.

Sure, '15 should be good defensively, but last year's team was the best defense in AZ history by a huge margin. It was so good that its efficiency margin neared '88 levels, and that was impressive considering how average the offense was. I can believe this idea that '15 is better offensively. I can't believe it's going to be one of AZ's best ever. Not saying it absolutely can't be but, like you feel about soph RHJ>frosh AG, it has to prove it first. Maybe '15 has a better combination of offense and defense, and I think they're definitely a title contender, but last year, especially before Ashley went down, we were witnessing pure domination. Not necessarily in scoring margin but in terms of the way the team controlled every game and wore opponents down. It was damn impressive, and when I see something like that, I don't easily believe it can be replicated. '15 starting lineup should still be really good.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Overall, 14-15.

Stanley's probably better than Nick, every returning player is or should be better, and the bench is better.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

TJ needs to rediscover his three point shot if this year's team is going to be better on offense. No way we can replace Gordon's impact on the other side of the court. Therefore, the safe bet is on last year's starting lineup being more effective.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

when did ag have a jumper? rhj is a better offensive threat and ft shooter by far, and as a 2nd year player in miller's system, i can't see his defense being that far behind gordon's as a freshman.

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Puerco wrote:TJ needs to rediscover his three point shot if this year's team is going to be better on offense. No way we can replace Gordon's impact on the other side of the court. Therefore, the safe bet is on last year's starting lineup being more effective.
eh i dunno. 4 of the top 6 contributors return older and wiser. stud freshman coming in...outside of the ? at sj vs. nj, i don't see how you can definitively say last year's starting lineup+1 was any better.

Two Bits

Post by Two Bits »

thenewazcats wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I kind of agree with this sentiment. It's more or less surprise at people dismissing the impact losing Gordon and, to a lesser extent, Johnson will have on the defense. I think RHJ returns as our best defender, but he's a perimeter force on defense, not the all-over-the-floor blanket that Gordon was. I think RHJ was already better in a couple areas, mainly offensive vision, his first step and his ability to finish at the rim. He could be better as a sophomore with his jumpshot, and he's probably equally consistently giving effort. Still, he cannot match watch AG brought in terms of defensive force and dynamism.

Sure, '15 should be good defensively, but last year's team was the best defense in AZ history by a huge margin. It was so good that its efficiency margin neared '88 levels, and that was impressive considering how average the offense was. I can believe this idea that '15 is better offensively. I can't believe it's going to be one of AZ's best ever. Not saying it absolutely can't be but, like you feel about soph RHJ>frosh AG, it has to prove it first. Maybe '15 has a better combination of offense and defense, and I think they're definitely a title contender, but last year, especially before Ashley went down, we were witnessing pure domination. Not necessarily in scoring margin but in terms of the way the team controlled every game and wore opponents down. It was damn impressive, and when I see something like that, I don't easily believe it can be replicated. '15 starting lineup should still be really good.

True that. Our defense with Ashley, and the effect it had against other teams was truly awe-inspiring. It gave me confidence that regardless the score during any point in the game, we'd end up winning. Similar to how I felt with the 2001 team.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I hope you didn't mean my post. I'm sorry your friend has to go through that.

I don't post too much seriousness on the internet BC it's nice to get away from the **** that real life brings and just talk basketball. Again, I hope my post(s) weren't bothersome, and sorry about your friend's situation.
We're good, Pooh. I had that occasional day where one couldn't get far enough away from me. You've always been a solid poster. I think we're all also adjusting to the new forum format.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
gumby

Post by gumby »

We will shoot from the line better. Rest is up in the air.
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Ashley makes a full recovery, the sky's the limit. If he can't regain his form, we're in limbo until Kadeem Allen or Elliott Pitts make a surge along with Stanley Johnson.

BA's dead-on jumpers from three-point range and in were the biggest surprise IMHO of last season. Everybody else more or less performed to potential, but Ashley had a breakout campaign offensively and closed off the weak side defensively.

Up until the injury, everybody underestimated just how vital his outside (!) shot was to the weardown, as not even Gabe York could match his perimeter efficiency.

Extrapolating here a bit, he would've been the West Region and possible Final Four MVP if he had remained healthy.

I think he'll also learn from this off-season how to avoid being the foul magnet, fairly or not, that cost him so many first-half and late-game minutes. He's incredibly valuable to this team as the shutoff valve on defense and defense-stretcher on O.
Last edited by catgrad97 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I would expect Bash will make a full and complete recovery.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote:I would expect Bash will make a full and complete recovery.
yes
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

You can sprinkle in some "extreme motivation and determination" along with that recovery...

Also, I'd like to add, that Bash was the most improved, and arguably the best, player in a UA uniform last year...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bash wasn't our best player. He made eleven threes. Typical game: 11 points, 6 boards. A trey every other game.

Fine player. Did improve. Will improve. Wasn't our best.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:Bash wasn't our best player. He made eleven threes. Typical game: 11 points, 6 boards. A trey every other game.

Only shot 29 threes, and his % was 3rd best on team...but shooting treys wasn't his game...but improved on the 3 he made the year prior. Shot 52% from the field, best outside of Zues...76% from the line, which was behind NJ in %...5.8 boards...

I said arguably our best player...
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Olsondogg wrote:
gumby wrote:Bash wasn't our best player. He made eleven threes. Typical game: 11 points, 6 boards. A trey every other game.

Only shot 29 threes, and his % was 3rd best on team...but shooting treys wasn't his game...but improved on the 3 he made the year prior. Shot 52% from the field, best outside of Zues...76% from the line, which was behind NJ in %...5.8 boards...

I guess Gumby said arguably you're wrong.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

That's fine...he and you can argue I'm wrong...
gumby

Post by gumby »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

No, he's definitely wrong. :)
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think you could argue that Bash was the best offensive player on the team last season, and relative to his position - (without a doubt) the best shooter on the team.

And regardless of what stats people care to counter with, he would have been my top choice for "player I most want taking the shot at the end-of-the-game". Not that he had a lot of competition in that regard, though.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Harvey Specter wrote:I think you could argue that Bash was the best offensive player on the team last season, and relative to his position - (without a doubt) the best shooter on the team.

And regardless of what stats people care to counter with, he would have been my top choice for "player I most want taking the shot at the end-of-the-game". Not that he had a lot of competition in that regard, though.
NJ was my choice.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

Ashley had the highest eFG% of anyone besides Zeus.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

You could argue he was the player we needed most to beat Wisconsin that's for sure.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:You could argue he was the player we needed most to beat Wisconsin that's for sure.
Nicely stated.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

All I can say about Brandon Ashley is we don't lose a single game all year if he's in the lineup, when he went down we had no chance at a championship.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:All I can say about Brandon Ashley is we don't lose a single game all year if he's in the lineup, when he went down we had no chance at a championship.
That's how I felt WHEN he went down, but if you think we had no chance to win, even after we SHOULD have beat Wisconsin and easily could have beat Kentucky/Uconn, then you were watching a different tournament. Even without Brash, at our VERY best we were probably still the best team in the tourney, we just didn't play our very best against Wisky (or SDSU, for that matter).
gumby

Post by gumby »

salim'sheadband wrote:Ashley had the highest eFG% of anyone besides Zeus.
Typical of fours. Few assists. Also typical for the position.
gumby

Post by gumby »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:All I can say about Brandon Ashley is we don't lose a single game all year if he's in the lineup, when he went down we had no chance at a championship.
We had more than "no chance." A 7 seed won it. We lost by two.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

gumby wrote:
We had more than "no chance." A 7 seed won it. We lost by one.
FIFY.
gumby

Post by gumby »

So twice as close!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I like any starting line up that has Aaron Gordon In it, so for me it would be last year. Now I do think this years team will be better because we get Ashley back and we will be much deeper
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:So twice as close!
Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, drive-in-movies...and Elite 8's.