TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: TJ McConnell's 'MAGIC' Numbers

Post by gumby »

85Cat wrote:And two 40-pointers.

I wonder if anyone on our team will score more than 30 this year?
Hope not. Balance is better.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I agree that balance is better. As much as I loved some of the great performances in the past by individuals, it does become reliant on that individual to score.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Olsondogg wrote:I agree that balance is better. As much as I loved some of the great performances in the past by individuals, it does become reliant on that individual to score.
True. On the other hand I doubt there will be many objections to having a Wooden Award candidate on the team. If RHJ has gotten his shooting ability up to snuff. . . Sean Elliott 2.0 is not a bad thing. Having a capable leader is as important has having balance.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh yeah. Well, how many titles did Elliott win?

J/k, St. Sean.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If Rondae Hollis-Jefferson were an animal, he'd be a golden retriever.

If Sean Elliott were an animal, he'd be a deer.

Two different animals.

ghostwhitehorse

Longhorned wrote:If Rondae Hollis-Jefferson were an animal, he'd be a golden retriever.

If Sean Elliott were an animal, he'd be a deer.

Two different animals.

Sean Elliott has never been stunned by bright head lights. . . and I doubt RHJ is easily distracted by squirrels.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah but look at them. I nailed it!

97cats

Post by 97cats »

UPDATED

45% | 42% | 83% = Final Four
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Mine coincide, to a degree, but extend a bit...

I'm looking at 11, 52, 2.7/1

11 as in I want a minimum of 11 shots a game, be it from FG, 3FG or FT. I want a more aggressive TJ to keep defenses honest.

52 as in Effective FG%, as I not only want more shots, I want good shots, and taken advantage of opportunities.

2.7/1 as in Assist/Turnover ratio, as if he's aggressive and making his shots, the floor will be more open for cleaner passing lanes, crisper passing.

We need TJ to play instinctually, not with the occasionally timid, reactive mentality that found him second-guessing too many open shots, paralyzed by over-analysis mid-dribble, and a few too many lapses when passing.

He has to lead, not react. See and do. Not examine and think.

Yes, play smart, but have confidence in those split-second reads and then act.

He doesn't have to be Steve Nash, but we need a Travis Diener type of lead guard. The days of trying to win games without taking shots needs to be abandoned. He has to be a threat to maximize the surrounding talent. An Elbow Jumper would go a long way here.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Airizona

Post by Airizona »

He didn't shoot well tonight, but look at his stat line. 12 pts, NO turnovers, 6 steals (yes, 6 steals), 4 assists, and 9 rebounds. Damn.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Airizona wrote:He didn't shoot well tonight, but look at his stat line. 12 pts, NO turnovers, 6 steals (yes, 6 steals), 4 assists, and 9 rebounds. Damn.
Impressive!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

TJ and Rondae turned the momentum in the second half. Credit to both of them for a hanging tough and finding a way to get the win. Anteaters a very solid team. They play smart and are well coached. I was getting a little nervous in the second half waiting for a run. Rondae came through with the slam on the big man.

Arizona took a leap with last nights win.
gumby

Post by gumby »

His shooting is still puzzling. Much better as an underclassman. But he does make up for it in other ways. Maybe, like Bullwinkle the Magician, he just needs another hat.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Through 4 games he has 28 assists and 6 turnovers
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
loomer

Post by loomer »

shooting 28% and 22% from 3
97cats

Post by 97cats »

through four

28% | 21.4% | 100%

not magic
AzDave

Post by AzDave »

97cats wrote:through four

28% | 21.4% | 100%

not magic
Certainly we need those numbers to get better...but in the mean time, the nearly 5:1 a/to and 2.5:1 st/to ratios help balance it out. I haven't been able to watch much yet, but it seems he's playing at a pretty high level overall....just gotta start getting shots to drop.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

He's averaging 5.5 rebounds too. His game is A plus right now other than the fact he can't hit the broadside of a barn
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

97cats wrote:through four

28% | 21.4% | 100%

not magic
More like tragic.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

But his defense is phenomenal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:His shooting is still puzzling. Much better as an underclassman. But he does make up for it in other ways. Maybe, like Bullwinkle the Magician, he just needs another hat.
I thought it was due to the lesser competition Duquesne faced, but TJ is getting plenty of good looks this year.

His form actually looks better, shoots higher up and less like a girl, and the rotation on the ball looks better, but they are still missing badly.

One thing I recall about Simon and Shakur is that you don't mess with a shot that goes in, although their funky shot mechanics cost them a NBA career.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm not worried about TJ
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well he and York won't shoot this poorly all year. Keep winning and watch those % go up. At least he is looking for his shot.

If nothing more it should shut Jay Williams up. Man he is annoying when he talks about how much he hates AZ
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ghostwhitehorse

azcat49 wrote:Well he and York won't shoot this poorly all year. Keep winning and watch those % go up. At least he is looking for his shot.

If nothing more it should shut Jay Williams up. Man he is annoying when he talks about how much he hates AZ
You are assuming the "body surfer" knows how to. . .
gumby

Post by gumby »

He's becoming Doug Gottlieb! Or Russell Brown.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Yeah, his shooting is horrible and he's taking a lot of shots. Teams leave him wide open and will continue to do so. He does everything else well, including rebounding. So, need to figure out if he CAN shoot. Hasn't shown it yet. If it's a matter of finding the groove and he can shoot 35-40%, keep firing it up when you get those wide open looks. Otherwise, he's gonna have to start passing it up. He's killed a good number of offensive possessions very quickly firing it up very early in possession.
gumby

Post by gumby »

51/43/84 his sophomore season. Too many tacos? Too much weight-lifting? Too much sunshine?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:51/43/84 his sophomore season. Too many tacos? Too much weight-lifting? Too much sunshine?
He actually did pretty well against some stiff competition. UA excepted of course.

But he was also nails on FTs! WTF happened on those?

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lofty wrote:Yeah, his shooting is horrible and he's taking a lot of shots. Teams leave him wide open and will continue to do so. He does everything else well, including rebounding. So, need to figure out if he CAN shoot. Hasn't shown it yet. If it's a matter of finding the groove and he can shoot 35-40%, keep firing it up when you get those wide open looks. Otherwise, he's gonna have to start passing it up. He's killed a good number of offensive possessions very quickly firing it up very early in possession.
Miller keeps insisting that TJ is our best shooter and wants/needs TJ to shoot when he is open.

Better to be in a shooting funk now then when it really matters.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Miller also said that TJ's shooting is mental right now. He's thinking about it too much and making too big a deal about hitting shots. Once he relaxes and takes shots in the flow of the game, he should be fine.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Alieberman wrote:
Miller keeps insisting that TJ is our best shooter and wants/needs TJ to shoot when he is open.

Better to be in a shooting funk now then when it really matters.
I want TJ to keep shooting, the sooner he finds his shot the deadlier our offense will be. He really just needs to stop taking NBA 3's and move two steps in. I don't understand why he always allows himself to stay 2-3 feet too far back, maybe it's just a spacing thing on offense but if he could step up when he is wide open it would really help
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

AZCatGirl wrote:Miller also said that TJ's shooting is mental right now. He's thinking about it too much and making too big a deal about hitting shots. Once he relaxes and takes shots in the flow of the game, he should be fine.
If he keeps thinking this much, his last best chance at a basketball legacy is going to be over before it even started.

Two problems keeping this team from greatness right now:

1) Soft starts from starters not comfortable with their shooting; and

2) Miller not letting the bench compete during games.

Both problems are interrelated, purely perceptual but deepening. Without any "wear down" tonight, the point of no return for "This is who we are" is approaching sooner than we think with this roster.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:Miller also said that TJ's shooting is mental right now. He's thinking about it too much and making too big a deal about hitting shots. Once he relaxes and takes shots in the flow of the game, he should be fine.
If he keeps thinking this much, his last best chance at a basketball legacy is going to be over before it even started.
what the FUCK are you babbling about?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catgrad97 wrote:

Two problems keeping this team from greatness right now:

1) Soft starts from starters not comfortable with their shooting; and

2) Miller not letting the bench compete during games.

Both problems are interrelated, purely perceptual but deepening. Without any "wear down" tonight, the point of no return for "This is who we are" is approaching sooner than we think with this roster.
What are you talking about? "Perceptual but deepening"… please. Not sure if you're trying to talk in riddles or not, but this reads like something scripted by the Sphinx.

#1 has some merit... #2 doesn't. His use of the bench this year has been refreshing. You mean the top seven gobble up most of the minutes in the second half of a tight game? Not exactly shocking.

On a final note... I'm not expecting "" Greatness" in November, but I still have high expectations for March.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Catgrad is summoning his inner Machina...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Catgrad is summoning his inner Machina...
Are you summoning your inner bruins? Because you're sure on my nuts tonight for having a differing opinion.

Sorry I can't join in hailing a four-point win over Kansas State in Maui as the building block of a championship season. CatintheHeat feels the same way I do and apparently you and pokinmik had no problem understanding what the f*ck he was talking about.

But I'm just complaining to complain. Gotcha. I love our streaks of struggles to score and pull away from a one-scorer team. No, really! :roll:

Considering the missed FTs tonight and the open looks late, I have no doubt Miller is p*ssed that this team didn't finish off that d-bag Bruce Weber sooner--especially after he sneaks one of his players into our FT line huddle then tells Foster to act like he was in the act of shooting no matter where he was fouled on the last KSU possession.

Yeah, I love it when Arizona gives the Tad Boyle of the Big 12 hope. Kansas State doesn't freaking deserve to hold Arizona's jockstrap, but the Cats sure do enjoy letting 'em hang around!
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

I think the problem here is that even if we end up 20-0 OOC the general perception is that you will still be moaning that we didn't blow out enough of them, we're soft, etc etc. Sometimes you just gotta look at results and be happy.

PS Under Sean Miller we are not and will not have Lute-like teams wrt scoring. But we have a hardassed defense team reminiscent of Desert Swarm in football and we won't be losing to scrub teams in the first or second round of the tourney either. You might as well embrace it.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

cats101 wrote:But his defense is phenomenal.
#2 for K State absolutely abused TJ. We had to switch Jefferson on that guy at the end so we could eek out a win. And even then, he shook and stutter stepped and nailed a 3 on Rondae. But I think we should've checked McConnell's ego and had Rondae on Foster MUCH earlier.

Having said that, Marcus Foster for Kansas State is playing in the NBA next year. He is way too strong, fast (how many times did he blow by TJ??) and has way too good of an outside shot not to.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

catgrad97 wrote:
Are you summoning your inner bruins? Because you're sure on my nuts tonight for having a differing opinion.

Sorry I can't join in hailing a four-point win over Kansas State in Maui as the building block of a championship season. CatintheHeat feels the same way I do and apparently you and pokinmik had no problem understanding what the f*ck he was talking about.

But I'm just complaining to complain. Gotcha. I love our streaks of struggles to score and pull away from a one-scorer team. No, really! :roll:

Considering the missed FTs tonight and the open looks late, I have no doubt Miller is p*ssed that this team didn't finish off that d-bag Bruce Weber sooner--especially after he sneaks one of his players into our FT line huddle then tells Foster to act like he was in the act of shooting no matter where he was fouled on the last KSU possession.

Yeah, I love it when Arizona gives the Tad Boyle of the Big 12 hope. Kansas State doesn't freaking deserve to hold Arizona's jockstrap, but the Cats sure do enjoy letting 'em hang around!
Hey I didn't say anything cg97! DC and I have similar avis. But since you summoned me I do think it's still so early to be jumping to conclusions. The team is still gelling, I'm not worried one bit, we'll get into a rhythm eventually and everyone will become more comfortable and confident during the games.

Before last night some people were hating on York and Tarc hardcore, and I bet they feel like boobs this morning. Patience everyone, we are going to be a damn good team.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I fear we are going to lose tonight.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

catgrad97 wrote:

Never happy unless it's a blowout, gotcha. I don't understand how fans like you operate...you aren't satisfied unless it fits the parameters of what you think a "good game" is.

I hear guys like you whine and bitch all year long about how something "needs to be fixed" or how something isn't right, and then the inevitable "this team isn't going far in March" thread pops up because of something that doesn't look good to you. Meanwhile, the team racks up wins, trophies and accomplishments.

So I get it, you are gonna whine and bitch because games don't look pretty to you.

Keep on.
Last edited by PieceOfMeat on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: let's not devolve into petty, nasty name calling, please. it reflects poorly on you, and all of us.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

CalStateTempe wrote:I fear we are going to lose tonight.
I'm pretty confident actually. It's gonna be a battle and every possession will count with all the D being played by both teams. But I think we pull away at the end for a close win and the Maui title.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

CalStateTempe wrote:I fear we are going to lose tonight.
You're not alone. It will be our best opponent so far, by far. Not even close. We haven't sniffed playing a ranked team. I kept waiting last night for the pull-away, wear-down, if you will. Never happened. Almost let it get away.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Won't be any pull away tonight no matter what. Just too hard to play so many minutes in so few days. TJ was really dragging end of game last night. Hope to see a lot of PJC tonight. SDSU has been playing a much deeper bench. Like I mentioned in the other thread, SDSU had 5 bench players with 12 or more minutes v. Pitt. UA had only RHJ with more than 7 v. KSU.
gumby

Post by gumby »

The only thing to fear ...
gumby

Post by gumby »

... is being guarded by McConnell.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /19599235/
"My mission every night is to make life miserable for whoever I'm guarding."
Who says that anymore? Our point guard!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Our first goal is to win the conference outright, our second goal is to win the Pac-12 tournament. Then we want to get to Indianapolis. Then we want to win the national championship."
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Post edited by POM is laugh out loud funny.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

97cats wrote:40% | 40% |80% = Final Four

Arizona's fifth yr Senior PG is the key to the season -- level out the peaks and valley's and the CATS will be close to unbeatable
through 12 Pac12 games its clear McConnell is playing his best basketball of his career

a re-set to the beginning of the year when i mentioned that McConnell, IMO, and his benchmark number production -- 'MAGIC Numbers'-- would be the key to Arizona's chances at a Final Four.

while there has been a few bumps, i believe Arizona has come as close to hitting its apex as a TEAM during the conf portion of the schedule -- there is a direct correlation

31mpg, 12.25ppg, 56%fg, 55.5%3pt, 70%ft 5.6apg, 3.5rpg, 1.9spg