Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Post by Chicat »

UAGreg wrote:So...
I get the feeling he's going to break out in the next game.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hope you are right EVCat.

For as great as a coach Miller is, he does love his stars. I hope he uses the bench to straighten SJ out if his chucking ways continue.
gumby

Post by gumby »

From a source. This thread is endlessly entertaining. Keep up the good work.
Right where I want to be.
'ZONA97

Post by 'ZONA97 »

Eight shot attempts. What a chucker.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I disliked one shot. The early three. I liked the drives and left hand finishes. I liked the screens that freed Ashley for layups. Gets lost on D at times, like all new players.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Guys, back to reality from the largest river in Egypt? De Nile.

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I didn't freak out 15 minutes into the exhibition Hanson. And talk about being over critical of Stanley. Not liking him being upset at Dusan for the messed up pass? Really? Also, Arizona players don't taunt? Yeah, I'm sure Stanley is the only member of the team to do that. Everyone else is a pure angel!
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Bosy Billups wrote:Guys, back to reality from the largest river in Egypt? De Nile.

There's also decrazy and deluded. You're using that video as proof of your premise?
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

29 Freshmen have now played their first game in Pac-12 competition.

Stanley Johnson ranks 25th as measured by PER.

Statistically he has not shown very much to shout about in his first three public appearances in McKale.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Yea, SJ missed a couple of shots, but the kid can play. He's improving each game. I predict he'll be huge in UOA's run in March. (and April)
Growing pains tough to watch at times, but keep the faith boys. When he figures things out and finds his groove, nobody will stop him. (imo that is) ;)
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

KaibabKat wrote:29 Freshmen have now played their first game in Pac-12 competition.

Stanley Johnson ranks 25th as measured by PER.

Statistically he has not shown very much to shout about in his first three public appearances in McKale.
Are you trying to imply that SJ is the 25th best freshman right now?

People.... come on.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

check back in at 8pm MST today
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

97cats wrote:check back in at 8pm MST today
Purrfect, 97!

My surprise is we've had such a cohesive start for this early, and I include SJ's integration. Such good stuff----I can't wait to experience our growth from here.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Too late. Sample size is so large now SJ can never overcome it. Reggie Geary didn't taunt? He was the master! When SJ dive bombs the opposing bench, I'll grow concerned. Hassan? Oh yeah, he was just celebrating life in general. Arenas and Simon? Just chatting with imaginary friends. Edgerson? Just establishing some personal space.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

much better

Stanley Johnson -- 25min(s) 17pts, 7-10fg, 3to
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Get those threes in a rhythm, hit the boards hard... and he will be even more scary.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Amazing rebound tonight and almost had an assist- all that with only 3 TO's and 3 PF's.
'ZONA97

Post by 'ZONA97 »

KaibabKat wrote:Amazing rebound tonight and almost had an assist- all that with only 3 TO's and 3 PF's.
Gabe York is better than Brandon Ashley!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

SJ's block was nice, 17 pts looked good
Wtg Elliot! 10 pts
PJC 7 pts, 4 rebs, 2 asts..better and better
Rondae! 14 pts, 8 rebs, 3 ast, 1 stl

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400593190
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

It will take SJ a bit to get acclimated. Still, his acclimation time is better than 95% of the players in division one. Once he gets more comfortable with the offense and defense so he doesn't have to think so much and just play ... Well, let's just say this is a guy who couldn't wait to get on the floor to challenge Lebron James one-on-one.

I get the sense that the stage is not too big for SJ. He is a freshman in name only. Guaranteed he will beg Miller to guard the opposing team's best player. He is an absolute warrior in the mold of Geary and Gardner, but with a 6'7" 245 lb. body to go with it.

He is supremely confident, coachable and finding his role on the team. The chemistry will get better and better.

Go Cats!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Always like to see our star freshman bark at his upper classman like Tarc when he missed a pass and shouted to him f-ing run
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

azcat49 wrote:Always like to see our star freshman bark at his upper classman like Tarc when he missed a pass and shouted to him f-ing run
I have 0 problem with him doing this because Zeus needs to get better at that. But did he really do this?
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

He had 1 rebound and 0 assists. Better work on that.
gumby

Post by gumby »

'ZONA97 wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Amazing rebound tonight and almost had an assist- all that with only 3 TO's and 3 PF's.
Gabe York is better than Brandon Ashley!
Craig Victor is better than both! SJ will be lucky to crack fourth team all frosh.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Chemistry issues are over. He's in. /Thread
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I really liked him overall tonight. Made a few freshman mistakes, but played well down the stretch when we needed him. He's really coming along on defense.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Led the team in turnovers
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I don't know about /Thread, but he definitely took a big step tonight.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Rebounds and assists were nice. His play was within the flow of the offense, which was key.

My biggest complaint was him flying by ballhandlers trying for the steal. If he comes out at them and instead of going for the ball he squares up that massive frame right in their space, puts his chest on their shoulder and his hands straight up, he'll get that steal by denying all options.

He'll learn. Which is really exciting.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:Rebounds and assists were nice. His play was within the flow of the offense, which was key.

My biggest complaint was him flying by ballhandlers trying for the steal. If he comes out at them and instead of going for the ball he squares up that massive frame right in their space, puts his chest on their shoulder and his hands straight up, he'll get that steal by denying all options.

He'll learn. Which is really exciting.

Miller was on him about this.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

My only big issue with Stanley is his insistence on bringing the ball up court himself after a defensive rebound and trying to finish himself in what amounts to a 1-on-4 fast break. When he decides he's taking the ball nothing will stop him... Which accounts for a good # of his many turnovers

Many things to like about his game tonight though, and his talent is obvious. But how he and York continue to get the nod over RHJ in the starting lineup baffles me.

If York does not start hitting 3's at a higher clip, he needs to come off the bench. If Stanley can hit them with any consistency - then start '97's lineup with SJ at the 2 on O and let RHJ guard the 2 on D.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Harvey Specter wrote:But how he and York continue to get the nod over RHJ in the starting lineup baffles me.
According to Miller, he left it up to Rondae and Rondae said he and the team play better when he comes of the bench. I have to agree it's nice having that big spark off the bench.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

RHJ was put into the game literally after 3 mins had elapsed. Does it really matter who fucking starts? I swear fans get upset about the lamest things.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Olsondogg wrote:RHJ was put into the game literally after 3 mins had elapsed. Does it really matter who fucking starts? I swear fans get upset about the lamest things.
#Goodfan
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Better than being baffled by something irrelevant.
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

If he would stop shooting dumb early 3s I would be 87% happier.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Harvey Specter wrote:My only big issue with Stanley is his insistence on bringing the ball up court himself after a defensive rebound and trying to finish himself in what amounts to a 1-on-4 fast break. When he decides he's taking the ball nothing will stop him... Which accounts for a good # of his many turnovers
While that's true, I thought there was some real inconsistency on the part of the refs allowing lots of reach ins which caused some of those TOs. SJ also has traveled on his drives about 3 or 4 times and then stepped on the baseline (not the one during the attempted steal) once. I thought he put more team effort into this game with 10 rebounds and some good help defense. Its taking some time for him to adjust but he clearly has skillz.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't understand the travelling calls...or palming, if you will...considering it happens on nearly every play run in CBB...
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

I'm not a huge fan of him having so many touches. Clearly talented, but shouldn't RHJ and Ash get more?
Reydituto

Post by Reydituto »

Sneer anymore and your face will freeze like that forever!

I think Stanley is pressing too much. Offensively this was his best game by far, but he needs to let the game come to him a bit more, and select better shots. One of these games, it's all going to click for both him and the team, and there'll be no looking back. UA needs him to be a potent option on offense for UA to reach their potential.
But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up!
Tonight he gets Happy-Go-Jackie on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle!
Sweet Sassy Molassey, get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:I'm not a huge fan of him having so many touches. Clearly talented, but shouldn't RHJ and Ash get more?
I'm not that sure that's something that can be dictated. Guys that are open are guys that are open.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Um...tonightTJ took the most shots, Bash had more than SJ, and RHJ had one less...

On the season, SJ has taken the same amount of shots as Bash, 3 more than RHJ and 2 less than TJ.

The sample size is small, but there aren't huge discrepancies...
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

1stNGrant Frys wrote:I'm not a huge fan of him having so many touches. Clearly talented, but shouldn't RHJ and Ash get more?
Wing players are going to get more touches just in the idea of passing the ball around.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Chicat wrote:
Im not that sure that's something that can be dictated. Guys that are open are guys that are open.
This was just an eyeball judgement (affected by Stanley's turnovers and shot selection). I just an not as comfortable with his offense as the centerpiece as with say AG, DWill and Jordan Hill. I forgot how good a passer Gordon was.
Last edited by 1stNGrant Frys on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

I'd like to see TJ take the open shot and quit driving in and taking an off-balanced leaner.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I don't like the calling for the ball thing SJ does on almost every possession. Run the set, get into position, and you'll get yours.

Hope RJH can sit down with him and let him know how to succeed and "get his" in this offense.
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

I distinctly remember Gordon having an adjustment period like stanley is having.

He'll be good. I honestly don't have many qualms about his early season play.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NETSFAN4HASSAN wrote:I distinctly remember Gordon having an adjustment period like stanley is having.

He'll be good. I honestly don't have many qualms about his early season play.
Completely agree.

I guess, its a perception is reality thing with me, which I agree is unfair to SJ. Some posters mentioned the possibility of chemistry issues, wanting to be top dog, posting photos of him standing apart from the team on the track, etc etc, so when I watch games, I'm probably looking for those things (having been driven nuts by selfish play by JT and Lyons), whereas had that chemistry issues not been raised, I'm not noticing or creating them.

That being said, all we heard about AG is how humble and hard working and a team player he is/was. He really didn't start to assert himself till conference play and even then still within the team concept.

Frankly, this is RHJ's and TJ's team and I hope SJ gets that. I can handle RHJ missing a shot with the game on the time, cause he's earned it. SJ hasn't, yet.