let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Re: let's talk '21

Post by UAEebs86 »

Kentucky brought their bag man A game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Look at Tee Washington's Twitter right now. It'S nOt DoNe. NoThInG sEt In StOnE! Ya bro. It's done and you know if. Lavar Ball wannabe
I said what I said and I mean it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 pm Lol Tyty already signed his NLI with Kentucky. He had a zoom meeting with the Arizona coaches literally yesterday.
Cold

Would make sense possibly moving up his commitment
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kentucky's a joke. They never have worse than a top 5 recruiting class and have one title (thanks to AD) to show for Calipari's 10+ years in Lexington. They're OAD University.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Alieberman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 pm Life of an AZ fan-

April 6- "Sean Miller is going to have a top 15 team!!!!"
April 7- "Sean Miller is fired"
April 9- "We have our Head coach all lined up"
April 10 "The University President got involved"
April 14 "Tommy Lloyd is hired as Head Coach"
also April 14 "Who the Hell is Tommy Lloyd? Tommy Lloyd is a horrible hire"
April 16 "Tommy Lloyd is going to be awesome!"
April 22 "Oh crap.... we have no guards!"
April 24 "We are going to get TyTy!!!!!!"
also April 24 "Who is TyTy?"
May 6 "We lost TyTy.... Tommy Lloyd sucks again!"

Did I get that right?
I am still at April 14, until he actually show everyone he can be a very good head coach. Not just "good", VERY good. Because that is who was fired to make room for him.
Last edited by BBQ wildcat on Fri May 07, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeardownZonaZona

https://playersprogramu.com/index.php?t ... 6.msg41402
The idiot at ppu is saying tyty hasn't decided. Like he 100% did lmao. The guy who runs that site has zero sources
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:41 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 pm Lol Tyty already signed his NLI with Kentucky. He had a zoom meeting with the Arizona coaches literally yesterday.
I hope he's a complete bum at Kentucky. The hell with the Washington family. Made the staff here think we're in a great position literally last night. They wake up to him signing an NLI for another another school. Jerk
I'm rooting for TyTy - in all of his interviews he seems like a really kind kid. Seems like his dad is the villain here, and I hope it doesn't result in another transfer back west.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Think Calipari called Sean and said “ that one is for you”?
BeardownZonaZona

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:45 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:41 pm
I hope he's a complete bum at Kentucky. The hell with the Washington family. Made the staff here think we're in a great position literally last night. They wake up to him signing an NLI for another another school. Jerk
I'm rooting for TyTy - in all of his interviews he seems like a really kind kid. Seems like his dad is the villain here, and I hope it doesn't result in another transfer back west.
You're right. I shouldn't have said that. It really is the dad.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:25 pm
Alieberman wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 pm Life of an AZ fan-

April 6- "Sean Miller is going to have a top 15 team!!!!"
April 7- "Sean Miller is fired"
April 9- "We have our Head coach all lined up"
April 10 "The University President got involved"
April 14 "Tommy Lloyd is hired as Head Coach"
also April 14 "Who the Hell is Tommy Lloyd? Tommy Lloyd is a horrible hire"
April 16 "Tommy Lloyd is going to be awesome!"
April 22 "Oh crap.... we have no guards!"
April 24 "We are going to get TyTy!!!!!!"
also April 24 "Who is TyTy?"
May 6 "We lost TyTy.... Tommy Lloyd sucks again!"

Did I get that right?
In a way, I admire the fans who stay arms length from all of this. How well they must sleep at night.
No doubt.
I remember the first time I really heard about recruits. Guy on radio (probably Mike Gabrielson) was talking about how Lute had a guy coming in at all five spots, including a sharpshooter named Joe Mcclean.
It’s just a trap.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:48 pm Look at Tee Washington's Twitter right now. It'S nOt DoNe. NoThInG sEt In StOnE! Ya bro. It's done and you know if. Lavar Ball wannabe
Is it really written like that?
BeardownZonaZona

Postmaster wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:11 pm
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:48 pm Look at Tee Washington's Twitter right now. It'S nOt DoNe. NoThInG sEt In StOnE! Ya bro. It's done and you know if. Lavar Ball wannabe
No. Kids do that in Twitter but retyping someone's tweet like that to be annoying. It's like mocking the person for being dumb
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Postmaster wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:11 pm
He says he hasn't signed also

Btw, never tweet at recruits and family
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I trust Tee Washington’s public comments as much as I trust Book Richardson to not take money from a dude he barely knows, but yes don’t tweet at the recruits let alone at their family FFS.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

So I shouldn’t tweet at him “ hey, how about $20k per month?”
BeardownZonaZona

Postmaster wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:16 pm So I shouldn’t tweet at him “ hey, how about $20k per month?”
Offering to be Tyty's sugar daddy?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:16 pm So I shouldn’t tweet at him “ hey, how about $20k per month?”
I mean if you have to tweet at them only noodz would be appropriate.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Looks like Cal practices the ABC’s of recruiting. Always be closing
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Q: What has the interest been like since he was released by UNLV?

Stevens: "My phone hasn't stopped beeping. He's being heavily recruited by the University of Arizona. Right now I'd say it's a four horse race between Arizona, Syracuse, Creighton and Washington with Western Kentucky hanging around a little bit. It's heavy. He broke it down there from having the entire Pac-12 calling to this level of about four. Syracuse being really the only program that was recruiting him pre-UNLV at a high extent."
Q: What is Kaluma's timeframe for a decision?

Stevens: "Actually, he's looking at making a decision probably in the next week. He's ready to start his college process. I would expect as soon as maybe next Friday, he'll be committed somewhere. He took Zoom calls from Creighton Wednesday, Syracuse and Arizona Thursday, and Washington and Western Kentucky will be Friday."
BeardownZonaZona

He doesn't seem like the type to give an official date or drag this out. From everything I've heard and read about the family, they're pretty much all-business. I think as soon as he's reached a decision, he'll announce next day or so. Couldn't tell you our chances but we got the most minutes to offer out of the schools involved so that's a plus
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 am He doesn't seem like the type to give an official date or drag this out. From everything I've heard and read about the family, they're pretty much all-business. I think as soon as he's reached a decision, he'll announce next day or so. Couldn't tell you our chances but we got the most minutes to offer out of the schools involved so that's a plus
Our chances are very good.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:09 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:42 am He doesn't seem like the type to give an official date or drag this out. From everything I've heard and read about the family, they're pretty much all-business. I think as soon as he's reached a decision, he'll announce next day or so. Couldn't tell you our chances but we got the most minutes to offer out of the schools involved so that's a plus
This is great news, and we'll be thrilled if it happens.

It's the PG situation that has some of us wringing our hands.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

hell yeah! would be a fantastic pick up. the exact type of player that I wanted to add this offseason, and a key player type that we did not have for most of Miller's tenure imo.

not too worried about PG, Tommy and staff will figure it out. Add Kaluma, and hopefully Bal and/or Larsson, and I feel much better about our long-term outlook.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:03 am

There are two major PG jobs open right now: Arizona and Kentucky.

There are two immediate starting caliber rising freshman available (Washington and Hickman), and additionally there are other guys who would become available if one of those two jobs were available to them. We're in a fine spot.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:55 am

There are two immediate starting caliber rising freshman available (Washington and Hickman), and additionally there are other guys who would become available if one of those two jobs were available to them. We're in a fine spot.
I like the confidence, YDF. Good vibes heading into the weekend.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:55 am

That is to much optimism for me to have after the last decade. Especially at the PG spot.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:04 pm That is to much optimism for me to have after the last decade. Especially at the PG spot.
I get that - reminds me of when we didn't have a roster set to join Lauri until Kobi committed in Jan and Rawle in March. That felt like the latest possible commitments I could imagine. But the landscape has changed and with the allowance to transfer immediately, there's more opportunity out there than we could possibly be aware of.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:04 pm That is to much optimism for me to have after the last decade. Especially at the PG spot.
I get that - reminds me of when we didn't have a roster set to join Lauri until Kobi committed in Jan and Rawle in March. That felt like the latest possible commitments I could imagine. But the landscape has changed and with the allowance to transfer immediately, there's more opportunity out there than we could possibly be aware of.
It's true, and it's hard to say what this bodes for the future. The G-League is impacting the inflow of college hoops talent, and I don't expect the NBA's age rule will be in place forever. Also, these looser transfer rules are temporary. Once we're truly on the other side of this -- "this" encompasses so much -- the college hoops landscape will look quite different.

Still, I think this roster uncertainty so late into the year is a product of firing our coach and Covid-related rule changes. Going forward, I don't expect to have so many unused scholarships so deep into spring/early summer. Tommy just needs a couple solid recruiting cycles to stabilize things.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I realize some have actually watched footage and followed the evaluations for this recruit. But the photo in this tweet leaves me with the first impression of a young man saying, "Ehhhhhhhh. I'd rather not."
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kaluma and Pelle Larsson will both decide in the next week or so. I like our chances for both.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Will Pelle have any effect on Kerr sticking around?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:40 pm Will Pelle have any effect on Kerr sticking around?
Nah not at all. He’s a 2 that can play the 1 in a pinch if you need it.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 pm
84Cat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:40 pm Will Pelle have any effect on Kerr sticking around?
Kerr or Pelle? That describes them both doesn't it? And I would think Pelle would beat out Kerr for a starting role, but I do not think that would be reason for him to transfer. If we get Pelle, I could both him and Kerr getting over 20 mpg.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:47 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 pm
Kerr or Pelle? That describes them both doesn't it? And I would think Pelle would beat out Kerr for a starting role.
Kerr is way more of a PG than Pelle is. Kerr is a 1 that can play the 2. Pelle is a 2 that can play the 1 in a pinch.
BeardownZonaZona

We get those two I'd be very happy. We get our point guard and we'd have a pretty set rotation
Starting pg
Kerr
Mathurin
Kaluma
Tubelis
Bench:
Larsson
Terry
Koloko
Nowell
That's a pretty good 9 guy rotation
BeardownZonaZona

Also saw Scheer put out that point guards name on his board Choo and I were talking about yesterday. Didn't want his name out there. Not really happy he did that. Would've preferred this to be like the Tubelis situation where the name was kept under raps until it was almost done
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:32 pm Kaluma and Pelle Larsson will both decide in the next week or so. I like our chances for both.
feel like AZ fans are sleeping on Pelle a bit...he’d be a huge pickup, I think he has NBA upside depending on his development.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I agree. Pelle would be a very nice pickup.
https://youtu.be/fvl1dtTRYQs
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

How is his soccer game?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:03 pm How is his soccer game?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

goslingswagg wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:26 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:32 pm Kaluma and Pelle Larsson will both decide in the next week or so. I like our chances for both.
feel like AZ fans are sleeping on Pelle a bit...he’d be a huge pickup, I think he has NBA upside depending on his development.
Pelle and Kaluma would both be massive lifts to the team. Pelle is a big guard with unlimited range who can play both guard spots (though he was a bit ambitious with his passing last season... that may be a result of forcing things on a mediocre talent team + acclimating to the NCAA game). I've raved about Kaluma's versatility - I think we'll also be pleasantly surprised by his passing ability if we secure his talents.

Honestly with those two I'd be pretty excited about the team even without the addition of a marquee PG. There'd be a ton of guys with good vision and some very good spacing in our line-ups.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 pm We get those two I'd be very happy. We get our point guard and we'd have a pretty set rotation
Starting pg
Kerr
Mathurin
Kaluma
Tubelis
Bench:
Larsson
Terry
Koloko
Nowell
How deep did Few go with his bench?
Miller seemed to stay around 7-8 man rotation.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Postmaster wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:10 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:14 pm We get those two I'd be very happy. We get our point guard and we'd have a pretty set rotation
Starting pg
Kerr
Mathurin
Kaluma
Tubelis
Bench:
Larsson
Terry
Koloko
Nowell
It all depends on what our final team makeup looks like.
I’d think we will see at least an 8-9 rotation especially early on as CTL see's what he has.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:18 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:24 pm
It's true, and it's hard to say what this bodes for the future. The G-League is impacting the inflow of college hoops talent, and I don't expect the NBA's age rule will be in place forever. Also, these looser transfer rules are temporary. Once we're truly on the other side of this -- "this" encompasses so much -- the college hoops landscape will look quite different.

Still, I think this roster uncertainty so late into the year is a product of firing our coach and Covid-related rule changes. Going forward, I don't expect to have so many unused scholarships so deep into spring/early summer. Tommy just needs a couple solid recruiting cycles to stabilize things.
On Lloyd needing a few recruiting cycles to stabilize things, things were stable and then the U of A president got involved.

The one time rule for a no sit transfer will be a new impact on everyone. I return to Robbins's firing Miller because it's hard to build stability, period, was harder in the face of the FBI/ESPN thing and I don't think Robbins ever got that.

I posted a stat about Gonzaga having lost 35% of players that could have returned in a 2 year sample size I selected. That's the new world, and people tout Zaga as an example of retention and development even.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:10 am
Starting pg
Kerr
Mathurin
Kaluma
Tubelis
Bench:
Larsson
Terry
Koloko
Nowell
Last 4 years, they had 2 seasons with only 7 players above 10 mpg, 1 with 8 players and 1 with 9.

Miller actually played more guys more than 10 mpg than Few. Last 4 years for Miller were 3 seasons of 10 guys with 10 mpg and 1 season of 9 guys.

My thoughts on the above rotation...who this starting PG guy is makes a gigantic difference. Mark Lyons and the team could be solid. Justin Coleman and the team could be distinctly less solid.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So like, there’s zero chance rumors of Tyty’s pending UK commitment have been greatly exaggerated, right?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:33 am So like, there’s zero chance rumors of Tyty’s pending UK commitment have been greatly exaggerated, right?
He’s going to Kentucky
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I hope whoever we end up taking for our starting PG can contribute immediately, as well as stay at least 2 years.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am assuming March 15 will be a highly suspenseful day. lol