The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by YoDeFoe »

Three Man Weave projects Arizona to finish 3rd in the Pac-12, atop the "second tier" of teams that include USC, ASU, WSU, Colorado, and Stanford. They have UCLA and Oregon in their own tier up top.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/pac-12-2022-preview
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

They also have Tommy Lloyd as coach of the year in the PAC 12
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Some games mean more than what it's impact is on our tournament profile.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hung out with my best friend from college all day Saturday.

About 4 hours into hanging out all of a sudden he said, “Do you realize we haven’t talked once about Arizona Basketball??”

He was right. Because there was really nothing to say. No excitement for the new regime. No anticipation of what the returning players will do. Not even a wonder if we’ll be any good.

In past years we’ve talked Arizona hoops for literally hours. This year, beyond the surprise that neither of us seem to care all that much right now, and some observations that Robbins and Heeke may not have killed our love for the program but they certainly put it in a coma, we just moved on to other topics.

Congrats to the Arizona Admin for fucking up to the degree that two diehards are now just occasionally casually interested … maybe.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:56 am Hung out with my best friend from college all day Saturday.

About 4 hours into hanging out all of a sudden he said, “Do you realize we haven’t talked once about Arizona Basketball??”

He was right. Because there was really nothing to say. No excitement for the new regime. No anticipation of what the returning players will do. Not even a wonder if we’ll be any good.

In past years we’ve talked Arizona hoops for literally hours. This year, beyond the surprise that neither of us seem to care all that much right now, and some observations that Robbins and Heeke may not have killed our love for the program but they certainly put it in a coma, we just moved on to other topics.

Congrats to the Arizona Admin for fucking up to the degree that two diehards are now just occasionally casually interested … maybe.
Well here's a good question, do you think you two would be talking about this year's team if Sean Miller were still the coach?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think I would be wondering about the role of our three new players (2 gone), their strengths, weaknesses and ability to contribute. I assume I would be having some conversation on our progress on future recruits.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:38 am
Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:56 am Hung out with my best friend from college all day Saturday.

Well here's a good question, do you think you two would be talking about this year's team if Sean Miller were still the coach?
I could see people wanting to discuss a team that was generally projected as a top 20 team. I doubt the utter lack of national buzz is helping get anyone interested.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.c ... atform=amp

That's ESPN's last projection before Miller got fired, with us at #16. I think that generates a bit more interest than not appearing at all.

Now, I think we have talent to surprise, but that isn't really going to stir up interest until it happens. Before that point, the coaching change was mirrored by a decline in expectations that's going to drive apathy.

Regardless of what people think about the HC, winning is what drives interest. Jedd Fisch should be exhibit A there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:45 am I think I would be wondering about the role of our three new players (2 gone), their strengths, weaknesses and ability to contribute. I assume I would be having some conversation on our progress on future recruits.
The 2 gone of those new players would've been bench fodder. So you're not curious the role of the other players that Lloyd brought in to replace the 2 guys that he didn't take I.E. Bal and Larsson? I'll give it to you the way recruiting is handled is completely different, way less attention whore status. Turns out that may not be bad at all...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:16 am

I could see people wanting to discuss a team that was generally projected as a top 20 team. I doubt the utter lack of national buzz is helping get anyone interested.

That's ESPN's last projection before Miller got fired, with us at #16. I think that generates a bit more interest than not appearing at all.

Now, I think we have talent to surprise, but that isn't really going to stir up interest until it happens. Before that point, the coaching change was mirrored by a decline in expectations that's going to drive apathy.

Regardless of what people think about the HC, winning is what drives interest. Jedd Fisch should be exhibit A there.
Yeah the media silence is definitely different. We honestly only lost one player of value that would've been here with Miller in Akinjo. I think it's just the unknown with a new head coach who has never been a head coach, because it's certainly not the roster they're evaluating. It certainly wouldn't be the only time the sports media had their heads in the sand about a good team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm pretty damn excited for this season. Been talking about the roster with my college friends for weeks now. Not sure what's going on with some of the others in this thread. Sounds like a pretty jaded, unexcitable group of fans.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yes, absolutely.

And that’s really no reflection on Tommy Lloyd. Neither of us know what he brings to the table. But the way Miller’s firing was handled, coupled with the fact that there would have been curiosity stemming from questions around what CSM could do with lesser-known talent that he could coach up over the course of at least a few years, there just isn’t that level of interest now that there would have been with Miller.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:22 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:16 am I could see people wanting to discuss a team that was generally projected as a top 20 team. I doubt the utter lack of national buzz is helping get anyone interested.

Yeah the media silence is definitely different. We honestly only lost one player of value that would've been here with Miller in Akinjo. I think it's just the unknown with a new head coach who has never been a head coach, because it's certainly not the roster they're evaluating. It certainly wouldn't be the only time the sports media had their heads in the sand about a good team.
There are two scenarios that I think of.

Scenario 1 is what (IMO) should have happened. BobRob and Heeke publicly support Miller and give him a 2 year extension with relatively minimal buyout. This scenario keeps us in the running for transfers like Au'Diese Toney who could have been potential roster upgrades and made us a top ten team.

Scenario 2 is where Miller just sort of survives. I think you're correct in saying we keep Akinjo. We probably also retain J. Brown and don't get Ballo, which I see as better than right now. We keep Simpson, Dezonie and Nowell instead of just Nowell. We don't get Kier. Unclear if we compete for Pelle Larsson, because he wasn't on the market yet.

So minimum, we are better at C and PG and the wing rotation looks basically the same with less talent but more depth. I don't mean this as a shot at Lloyd either, but you expect more from a guy who's been a HC for decades vs someone who reasonably will have growing pains. I don't think that's crazy to see Scenario 2 as the difference between #15 and maybe #30 nationally, and that's a top four seed vs a team that's close to the bubble.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am I'm pretty damn excited for this season. Been talking about the roster with my college friends for weeks now. Not sure what's going on with some of the others in this thread. Sounds like a pretty jaded, unexcitable group of fans.
I’m glad you’re excited.

From the amount of discourse on the team on this board, I’d say you’re in the minority.

You could blame that on those who don’t see things the way you do. Personally I believe that Robbins and Heeke have sucked the excitement out of this program, first with the out-of-the-blue postseason ban, and then by firing Miller.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:00 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:16 am I could see people wanting to discuss a team that was generally projected as a top 20 team. I doubt the utter lack of national buzz is helping get anyone interested.

Scenario 1 is what (IMO) should have happened. BobRob and Heeke publicly support Miller and give him a 2 year extension with relatively minimal buyout. This scenario keeps us in the running for transfers like Au'Diese Toney who could have been potential roster upgrades and made us a top ten team.

Scenario 2 is where Miller just sort of survives. I think you're correct in saying we keep Akinjo. We probably also retain J. Brown and don't get Ballo, which I see as better than right now. We keep Simpson, Dezonie and Nowell instead of just Nowell. We don't get Kier. Unclear if we compete for Pelle Larsson, because he wasn't on the market yet.

So minimum, we are better at C and PG and the wing rotation looks basically the same with less talent but more depth. I don't mean this as a shot at Lloyd either, but you expect more from a guy who's been a HC for decades vs someone who reasonably will have growing pains. I don't think that's crazy to see Scenario 2 as the difference between #15 and maybe #30 nationally, and that's a top four seed vs a team that's close to the bubble.
We weren't landing Toney regardless. He wasn't concerned about Sean Miller being around for more than one year and when he made his decision. He committed to Arkansas before Miller was fired.

Jordan Brown actually preferred Tommy Lloyd's system, but he had pull from outside to leave Arizona as he wasn't going to be starting regardless who the coach was.

So, no we wouldn't be better at C. PG sure, but I'm not a big Akinjo guy at PG. You're right about the HC situation and that's probably what's giving every one, including those here, pause.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:58 am

Yes, absolutely.

And that’s really no reflection on Tommy Lloyd. Neither of us know what he brings to the table. But the way Miller’s firing was handled, coupled with the fact that there would have been curiosity stemming from questions around what CSM could do with lesser-known talent that he could coach up over the course of at least a few years, there just isn’t that level of interest now that there would have been with Miller.
So you're not interested because of the university leadership's ineptitude along with the fact you'd be more curious how a long time coach would coach more developmental players vs what a new coach can do with the same players?

I get the former, they sucked the fun out of it for you. I'm glad Sean Miller isn't our coach any more though. Wish I knew more of what we were getting at the head man spot, but Tommy and his style of play at least intrigues me. I was beyond bored with Sean Miller ball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:56 am I'm pretty damn excited for this season. Been talking about the roster with my college friends for weeks now. Not sure what's going on with some of the others in this thread. Sounds like a pretty jaded, unexcitable group of fans.
I feel a lot of trepidation. We have some talent, but a lot of newness and needing people to step up. We have a first time HC and new staff. Just who knows?

Long term, I feel even more trepidation. Lloyd hasn't made the recruiting inroads I'd hoped he would. Right now, our future isn't bright without Miller's guys. I'd like to say I have confidence in how Lloyd will coach, but it's hard to say that until you see results on the floor. PR only gets you so far.

This doesn't mean Lloyd can't bring in guys that would bring that long term optimism out of me a little more, just that to date he hasn't. I don't ding him for being unsure about him as a coach, that's just trepidation that comes with his background and position.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:02 am
I’m glad you’re excited.

From the amount of discourse on the team on this board, I’d say you’re in the minority.

You could blame that on those who don’t see things the way you do. Personally I believe that Robbins and Heeke have sucked the excitement out of this program, first with the out-of-the-blue postseason ban, and then by firing Miller.
Life's too short to stay pissed about what's happened, Chi. I'm in my 40s, man. It's been 20 years since our last Final Four. At this point, I'm just looking for the shortest path back there. Is our current administration incompetent? Probably. Would our athletics be better served across the board if Heeke and Robbins were replaced? Maybe.

But for now, we've got a new basketball coach and a roster full of guys who want to win games. Many of our players have pro potential, some even lottery potential. I'm fired up for a new era of AZ hoops.

I'm done being pissed about how the Miller situation was handled. It's over. I'm ready to just fucking cheer for this program again and see them climb in the rankings. Could be a fun ride.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I personally could care less about how the whole hiring and firing, I am just not as excited for this season because everything around Tommy is boring. If we improve and win though, all of that means nothing in the end.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:20 am So you're not interested because of the university leadership's ineptitude along with the fact you'd be more curious how a long time coach would coach more developmental players vs what a new coach can do with the same players?
Correct. Unlike you, I’m a Sean Miller fan. I also felt he was hindered by having so many one-and-dones. Some continuity as far as the roster I think would have paid dividends.

Now we have the same players, but in a new system. Which is much like starting all over with new players in the old system. Not nearly as intriguing to me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 am
I’m glad you’re excited.

Life's too short to stay pissed about what's happened, Chi. I'm in my 40s, man. It's been 20 years since our last Final Four. At this point, I'm just looking for the shortest path back there. Is our current administration incompetent? Probably. Would our athletics be better served across the board if Heeke and Robbins were replaced? Maybe.

But for now, we've got a new basketball coach and a roster full of guys who want to win games. Many of our players have pro potential, some even lottery potential. I'm fired up for a new era of AZ hoops.

I'm done being pissed about how the Miller situation was handled. It's over. I'm ready to just fucking cheer for this program again and see them climb in the rankings. Could be a fun ride.
I’m very happy for you.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:19 am
TheCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:45 am I think I would be wondering about the role of our three new players (2 gone), their strengths, weaknesses and ability to contribute. I assume I would be having some conversation on our progress on future recruits.
The 2 gone of those new players would've been bench fodder. So you're not curious the role of the other players that Lloyd brought in to replace the 2 guys that he didn't take I.E. Bal and Larsson? I'll give it to you the way recruiting is handled is completely different, way less attention whore status. Turns out that may not be bad at all...
You say cannon fodder. I don't think you know what they are or could become. Is Bal cannon fodder? I think we know what we are getting with Larsson to some extent. A good shooter that turns over the ball at a unacceptable rate based on prior performance.
Last edited by TheCat on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:09 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 am
I’m glad you’re excited.

I’m very happy for you.
And I gotta say, I'm kind of bummed for you.

The psychology of the jaded, discontented Arizona fan is a curious spectacle.

If Tommy is successful, a lot of these gloomy posts are going to disappear. If he's not, the "I told you so" posts will arrive en masse.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:18 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:00 am

We weren't landing Toney regardless. He wasn't concerned about Sean Miller being around for more than one year and when he made his decision. He committed to Arkansas before Miller was fired.

Jordan Brown actually preferred Tommy Lloyd's system, but he had pull from outside to leave Arizona as he wasn't going to be starting regardless who the coach was.

So, no we wouldn't be better at C. PG sure, but I'm not a big Akinjo guy at PG. You're right about the HC situation and that's probably what's giving every one, including those here, pause.
We wouldn't be better at center with the 6th man of the year in the PAC? Think you under estimate JB. I always look forward to the basketball season but this one has a lot of unknowns and Akinjo loss may or may not be a big deal.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:29 am Is our current administration incompetent? Probably. Would our athletics be better served across the board if Heeke and Robbins were replaced? Maybe.
This portion of your post is like a bat signal for my anger complex towards Heeke and Robbins.

BobbyBobby's star football HC just lost to ****ing NAU. That is on the heels of his previous star football coach going winless and losing 70-7 to ASU.

Robbins and Heeke sandbagged and shitcanned one of the better/best head coaches in college basketball to hire a career assistant coach. I mean he is in the national assistant coaches hall of fame, which is like being the best minor league baseball player never to play in the majors.

I mean, the outside the box football hire is at a point we just took an L to a below average FCS team. The outside the box basketball hire is a gigantic TBD.

PROBABLY? MAYBE? I don't know, maybe it's a bad decision to mount a ground war vs Russia in the winter. Probably not a great thought.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 amThe psychology of the jaded, discontented Arizona fan is a curious spectacle.
Really? After all that’s gone on you’d need to have been lobotomized to approach this season with a contented “just so happy about everything” attitude. (no offense)
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 am If Tommy is successful, a lot of these gloomy posts are going to disappear. If he's not, the "I told you so" posts will arrive en masse.
I don’t delete my posts so they’ll all be right here for you. I hope you get to tell me “told you so” eventually but in the meantime if I were you I’d refrain from telling any Arizona fan they shouldn’t feel jaded.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Arizona Athletics has been more than a hobby for me for well over 40 years, and I can say I don't recall seeing things any worse. Maybe Mackovic/early Stoops coinciding with the decline of Lute Olson was comparable. But that was awful, and if there was no joy in Mudville then, there certainly isn't now. So, I don't think you can blame anyone for expressing unhappiness on a message board; it's probably healthy. That said, I try to keep UArizona Sports in it's own box...and this message board is in that box, BTW. It's been a lot of miles, so generally not expressing much angst is more a case of thick skin and callouses than any supposed naïveté. Lloyd hasn't lost his first game yet, and he's still got the NCAA cloud impacting recruiting, and I try to bear that in mind. So I'll give him at least until after the Red & Blue game, LOL.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:28 am
We wouldn't be better at center with the 6th man of the year in the PAC? Think you under estimate JB. I always look forward to the basketball season but this one has a lot of unknowns and Akinjo loss may or may not be a big deal.
I said Brown was going to leave regardless, because he was going to be coming off the bench.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I'm excited for the season and to see what Tommy can do and bring to the program. The program needed a change and so did Miller before he was fired.

I'm hoping Tommy turns it around and I'm excited to see some eye pleasing offense again. I don't care what metrics say I couldn't stand Millers offense or how he coached that side of the ball. Loved his defense when he had Nick Johnson and Tj around but he stopped putting together teams like that. Beardown and lets go Coach Lloyd, at he's not a used care salesman like our football coach.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

personally, I am very excited for this program to get a fresh start...imo, it was time to move on from Miller, Lloyd was the best realistic option on the market, and, although there is significant unknowns with a first time head coach, I am as excited about AZ b-ball as I've been since the leadup to Ayton's season.

I'm also quietly very confident about the team this year...think we're going to surprise people, as long as our top 6 guys stay reasonably healthy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Those of you who are excited about the upcoming season should post more. I’m looking at the posting histories of those of you who are expressing excitement and one poster hasn’t posted on the BBall forum since April and the other has posted only twice in the same timeframe.

Share your excitement with those of us who are “jaded” and “discontented”. Would love to share in your optimism.

Meanwhile, it still feels like no one really cares that the season starts in 7 weeks. With football in the shitter I’d think you’d all be here talking about hopes, dreams, and expectations.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:38 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 amThe psychology of the jaded, discontented Arizona fan is a curious spectacle.
Really? After all that’s gone on you’d need to have been lobotomized to approach this season with a contented “just so happy about everything” attitude. (no offense)
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:24 am If Tommy is successful, a lot of these gloomy posts are going to disappear. If he's not, the "I told you so" posts will arrive en masse.
I don’t delete my posts so they’ll all be right here for you. I hope you get to tell me “told you so” eventually but in the meantime if I were you I’d refrain from telling any Arizona fan they shouldn’t feel jaded.
Do you watch Ted Lasso? What's his line about the goldfish? Can't remember it exactly, but it's about having a 10-second memory. The point is that it's fine to feel the sting of disappointment, but dwelling on it is only going to bring you deeper, persistent disappointment. At some point you're better served by letting that shit go, especially if it's something we ourselves can't change.

I've spent PLENTY of time feeling pissed and joyless about AZ hoops the last few years. My discontentment has run its course. It's exhausting and not fun.

Tommy Lloyd seems like a good dude. I'm excited to follow his and the team's progress and see if he can bring us back to prominence.

I'll always be a Sean Miller fan and will continue to follow his career wherever he coaches. If I ever see him in a restaurant, I'm buying that dude a drink.

Don't mean to belabor this, Chi. I'm sorry you're struggling to take an interest in this team at the moment. Maybe it'll change when the games begin.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:04 pm Lloyd was the best realistic option on the market,
Can I tell you that I would have utterly not believed you if you'd said this to me at any point after 2009?

Honestly, I'm not sure I believe it now, except for the fact I wonder why any better option would sign up to work for puppet Heeke and Robbins, the world's foremost expert on everything.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:39 pmDon't mean to belabor this, Chi. I'm sorry you're struggling to take an interest in this team at the moment.
So far your reasoning regarding WHY I should take an interest in this team has basically boiled down to Don’t Worry, Be Happy, which was a dumb song, and an even dumber mantra.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:24 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:39 pmDon't mean to belabor this, Chi. I'm sorry you're struggling to take an interest in this team at the moment.
So far your reasoning regarding WHY I should take an interest in this team has basically boiled down to Don’t Worry, Be Happy, which was a dumb song, and an even dumber mantra.
Hakuna Matata.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If someone actually has to persuade you to be interested in AZ hoops, you're maybe in a worse place than I realized.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 pm
Hakuna Matata.
"Back it up for Bobby."

--B.O.B.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:47 pm
If someone actually has to persuade you to be interested in AZ hoops, you're maybe in a worse place than I realized.
If someone tells me that my interest in the 2021/2022 Arizona Basketball season should be just as great as in past years because “ *shrug*… maybe try having the memory of a goldfish?” then they very well may not have any good reasons at all and I should probably quit the conversation before I hear something like “well at least you have your health!”
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:10 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:47 pm
If someone tells me that my interest in the 2021/2022 Arizona Basketball season should be just as great as in past years because “ *shrug*… maybe try having the memory of a goldfish?” then they very well may not have any good reasons at all and I should probably quit the conversation before I hear something like “well at least you have your health!”
Bear Down, Chi! It's not as bad as you think!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bear Down BC. It can always get worse.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

No excitement here either. Not a fan of hiring someone with no head coaching experience. And for me it will take more than him doing “OK “ with mostly Miller’s players Years 2, 3, and 4 will be more telling. I am just not convinced that a career assistant will make a better than average head coach. So yeah, I’m just feeling Meh about UA basketball at this point
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 am I personally could care less about how the whole hiring and firing, I am just not as excited for this season because everything around Tommy is boring. If we improve and win though, all of that means nothing in the end.
I just so thoroughly disagree :lol:

Y'all know I'm excited about Lloyd and the offensive style he'll bring. From all that I've read and heard about him (and it's been a ton), the man is obsessive about basketball and specifically about picking up new ways to improve his players and refine or evolve his system. I love it.

There was that long form article in the Athletic about the Gonzaga guys below Few - Lloyd, Gentry, Jakus - here it is: https://theathletic.com/2459932/2021/03 ... n-spokane/

Stuff like this: “Every day at Gonzaga is like an education in basketball,” [Gentry] says. “Just being around great coaches. We’re always talking basketball. It’s kind of this really cool melting pot of different basketball philosophies.”

It's inspiring, man. It gives me hope. And I'll be damned if I'm not honest that I run on hope.

I think like Choo, I was a Miller defender but I was running low on steam. I don't want to go down the hypotheticals and what we should have done or what could have been road (I really don't). What's important to me now is that I think we're all going to be impressed with Lloyd's creativity and willingness to evolve. I think we're going to see a team that has great offensive flow and executes on that end really well. The beautiful game kind of stuff on the floor of McKale.

I'm chomping at the bit y'all. I'm excited as all hell.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Unless something big happens, I'm usually more focused on football than hoops at this time of year, at least until there's something tangible, like the Red & Blue Game. So, if I'm way off, somebody let me know, but I'm assuming a lineup kinda/sorta like this:

Kier, the graduate transfer from George Mason, at the point.
Kriisa joining him in the backcourt.
Mathurin at forward.
Tubelis at forward/center.
Either Koloko at center if we go big, or Terry or Aiken from Eastern Washington at a wing with four out.

That would be a core of seven with experience, with the freshmen guards Bal and Nowell gradually earning more time, and Ballo as a project as backup center. Last I heard, Larsson has a broken foot, so until he shows he's fine and ready, I'm assuming he's not. The "other" Tubelis rounds out the roster, along with the five walk-ons. Seven are foreign nationals and four are transfers. Not the way you typically want to do it, but a transition year with the seemingly endless dark cloud still overhead, so hopefully Lloyd can soon get to a more normal approach.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With the failure in football and soccer, and yet to be determined in softball and basketball, the MO of hiring "never a head coach" has me being meh too about basketball.

Barnes was a homerun, but the reason being no one gave a shit about WBB and there was no risk involved. They had the worst coach in Arizona sporting history in Niya Butts, and look how long they kept her around. At one time she lost 9 out of 10 to ASU. In what sport is that acceptable?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 pm Those of you who are excited about the upcoming season should post more. I’m looking at the posting histories of those of you who are expressing excitement and one poster hasn’t posted on the BBall forum since April and the other has posted only twice in the same timeframe.

Share your excitement with those of us who are “jaded” and “discontented”. Would love to share in your optimism.

Meanwhile, it still feels like no one really cares that the season starts in 7 weeks. With football in the shitter I’d think you’d all be here talking about hopes, dreams, and expectations.
Chi be careful what you wish for here man, I'll flood this place with my hopes and dream :lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:16 pm Unless something big happens, I'm usually more focused on football than hoops at this time of year, at least until there's something tangible, like the Red & Blue Game. So, if I'm way off, somebody let me know, but I'm assuming a lineup kinda/sorta like this:

Kier, the graduate transfer from George Mason, at the point.
Kriisa joining him in the backcourt.
Mathurin at forward.
Tubelis at forward/center.
Either Koloko at center if we go big, or Terry or Aiken from Eastern Washington at a wing with four out.

That would be a core of seven with experience, with the freshmen guards Bal and Nowell gradually earning more time, and Ballo as a project as backup center. Last I heard, Larsson has a broken foot, so until he shows he's fine and ready, I'm assuming he's not. The "other" Tubelis rounds out the roster, along with the five walk-ons. Seven are foreign nationals and four are transfers. Not the way you typically want to do it, but a transition year with the seemingly endless dark cloud still overhead, so hopefully Lloyd can soon get to a more normal approach.
Kier isn't a point guard, don't believe anyone who tells you he is (including Kier).

Starting:
Kriisa
Dalen
Benn
Azuolas
Koloko

Best lineup:
Kriisa
Pelle
Dalen
Benn
Azuolas

We'll have Aiken, Kier, and one of Dalen/Pelle rounding out the top eight. I'd have thought Dalen coming off the bench, given Pelle was the more productive player last season, but alas with the foot and what I've heard of Dalen's good play over the summer... I think he takes it from the start. That leaves Omar and Shane as the spot minutes guys with a little Adama in garbage time.

We've got a killer collection of players. I'll post some more thoughts when I have time (maybe later tonight).
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

OK, thanks. That's interesting, as I'd expected Kier to be a plug-in/experienced guy along the lines of some of the players Miller brought in on more than one occasion. What will also be interesting will be to see how well they handle the transition to Lloyd's more up-tempo/transition ball. From what I've heard and seen (just video clips), it sounds like it's going okay, particularly with Terry, and (as you'd expect) with Mathurin.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Don't see anyone on the team that can drive and dish like Akinjo. Kriisa has been playing PG on an international level, but don't see him performing that role. Didn't he only have 1 or 2 shot attempts in the paint last season, although that wasn't his role as a 2G.

Maybe use Mathurin as a point forward to help open things up.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I am thoroughly in the camp that wanted to keep Miller.

I am thoroughly in the camp that was bored with his system.

I am thoroughly excited to see what Tommy can do here.

You can have all 3.

I am extremely excited to see Benn, Dalen, Pelle, and Kerr in this system. Tubelis will get his no matter the system.

Let’s Fucking Go! Bear down!!!!!
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

And. To everyone bashing Tommy for recruiting…it’s been 5 months and he was jumping into all these recruiting battles late.

Give him time. He will find the right guys.

Please quote me if 2 years from now we aren’t expected to win the PAC and contend for a 4 seed or higher. I hope you won’t have to though
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I just think it's interesting how this whole ordeal has brought to light a breaking point among some fans. AZ hoops is the one team I'm ride or die with come hell or high water. We could hire Josh Pastner...I'm still pumped to see our guys play. We could hire one-eyed Dick Vitale...I'd still find an angle to get excited about.

My love and enthusiasm for AZ hoops are inviolable. But not everyone shares that sentiment, I've learned today.