The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Dave

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by Dave »

I was looking at Bal as a possible redshirt candidate. I know it was just a scrimmage, but he looks ready to go now. He also looked like the best point guard on the floor.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Well crap I missed it too!
Was it on pac 12? I got it early for the red blue game and some football.

Frickin chemo brain.
1 more of these beasts and I'm done!!

Thank the Lord!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It was on PAC 12 AZ not PAC 12 Network.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The game I sing going to be replayed at noon on Monday on PAC-12 Arizona.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm not as educated as a lot of people here in evaluating players but to me this team looks very athletic and very long. I could be wrong though.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I couldn't watch the Red/Blue game but have seen a lot of highlights on YouTube.

Sounds like Kerr is going to be a critical player. If he can be a reliable PG and defender, that will be huge. Mathurin and Tubelis are going to have big seasons, like all-Pac big. The early reviews of Koloko and Bal are encouraging.

Again, though, the biggest question mark is what kind of coach TL is going to be. Gonna be interesting!

Bear down!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I'm going to watch the replay on Pac12 channel in a bit and I am hoping to glean some insights as to what 2021-2022 will look like.
Then I will wake up and realize this is just the Red-Blue game.

But I am fascinated to watch how this season will unfold. Plus the ebb and flow drama in this thread. Popcorn is ready!!!
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Catintheheat wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:44 pm The game I sing going to be replayed at noon on Monday on PAC-12 Arizona.
Will also be on in 40 minutes from now, today on Pac-12 AZ Channel at 2:30 Pacific time.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Any feeling yet for who our best defensive player is?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:26 pm Any feeling yet for who our best defensive player is?
Koloko? perimeter defender likely one of Kriisa/Larsson would be my guess? Team has enough guys that should be solid enough defensively (3 already listed + Terry & Aiken, potentially Kier).
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Aiken looked like he gets after it on defense, but also looked lost on the glass. Koloko looked like he owned the paint and Kerr looked like he did last year, not a shut down guy but gives good effort and takes a ton of charges (I think he took 3 in a 20 minute game). I can tell you who is not our best defender, Azoulas. He was struggling on defense against the walkons.

Kier and Ballo are the only guys in the rotation I did not think looked like they belong in the rotation, but Kier may be our backup PG (please someone make that not so) and Ballo will need to play when Koloko undoubtedly gets in foul trouble.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:42 pm Aiken looked like he gets after it on defense, but also looked lost on the glass. Koloko looked like he owned the paint and Kerr looked like he did last year, not a shut down guy but gives good effort and takes a ton of charges (I think he took 3 in a 20 minute game). I can tell you who is not our best defender, Azoulas. He was struggling on defense against the walkons.

Kier and Ballo are the only guys in the rotation I did not think looked like they belong in the rotation, but Kier may be our backup PG (please someone make that not so) and Ballo will need to play when Koloko undoubtedly gets in foul trouble.
So I'm hearing we may have depth issues, particularly if (god forbid) there's an injury.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:11 pm
gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:42 pm Aiken looked like he gets after it on defense, but also looked lost on the glass. Koloko looked like he owned the paint and Kerr looked like he did last year, not a shut down guy but gives good effort and takes a ton of charges (I think he took 3 in a 20 minute game). I can tell you who is not our best defender, Azoulas. He was struggling on defense against the walkons.

So I'm hearing we may have depth issues, particularly if (god forbid) there's an injury.
That is nothing new, we essentially have only 9 scholarship players expected to contribute. Tiny Tubelis is essentially a walk on with a scholarship, Bal and Nowell could play some but we may be in trouble if they are playing real minutes, and then we have an open spot. We can not really afford injuries this year if we hope to make some noise.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is Larsen ready to practice?
Foot issues always scare me.

My biggest take away was that Ryan Anderson has put on some weight since he left Arizona.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Aiken was the biggest positive surprise for me.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

We talk a lot about defense… I wonder what’s the defense that will be played next year. I’m looking forward to something new.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Bring back the Claw!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well yeah. We have an obvious 8 man rotation and anything beyond those 8 guys is a bit of a reach.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:33 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:11 pm So I'm hearing we may have depth issues, particularly if (god forbid) there's an injury.
That is nothing new, we essentially have only 9 scholarship players expected to contribute. Tiny Tubelis is essentially a walk on with a scholarship, Bal and Nowell could play some but we may be in trouble if they are playing real minutes, and then we have an open spot. We can not really afford injuries this year if we hope to make some noise.
We've got ten guys, plus Bal. Eight we like plus two extra, normal rotation. I wouldn't say we're lacking in depth, though obviously a loss of Kerr would be pretty detrimental since I only trust him at PG.

Kier shouldn't play back-up PG, imo. I don't trust him to do more than shoot, give effort on D, and make a few passes within the offense. He's a sixth year player - he is who he is at this point, and it aint a PG. Personally I'd prefer to see Terry in that role - I continue to think that he'll settle into the game better with the ball in his hands more (though not sticking in his hands, for sake of clarity).
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:06 pm Aiken was the biggest positive surprise for me.
I've been saying it 8-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:45 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:11 pm So I'm hearing we may have depth issues, particularly if (god forbid) there's an injury.
We've got ten guys, plus Bal. Eight we like plus two extra, normal rotation. I wouldn't say we're lacking in depth, though obviously a loss of Kerr would be pretty detrimental since I only trust him at PG.

Kier shouldn't play back-up PG, imo. I don't trust him to do more than shoot, give effort on D, and make a few passes within the offense. He's a sixth year player - he is who he is at this point, and it aint a PG. Personally I'd prefer to see Terry in that role - I continue to think that he'll settle into the game better with the ball in his hands more (though not sticking in his hands, for sake of clarity).
Sounds like this is where losing Akinjo really hurts us. Depth of true ball-handlers.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:10 am
YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:45 am

Sounds like this is where losing Akinjo really hurts us. Depth of true ball-handlers.
I don't know that Akinjo would have fit Lloyd's offense so a split was probably for the best, but this is certainly where losing out on TyTy hurts. Nevertheless, the "point guard" responsibilities under Lloyd will be more shared than we're used to under Miller - so that spreads out the risk some.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

“So I’m hearing” makes me envision you getting a manila envelope with the crop report in it from a guy in a trench coat in a dark parking garage, while it’s far more likely you just looked at our roster and came to the same conclusion the rest of us have which is that outside the top 8 players we have projects and never-will-be’s.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kriisa
Mathurin
Terry
Larsson
Aiken
Tubelis
Koloko
Kier

Ballo
Bal
Nowell

The starters and rotation guys come from among the first group. The others are injury/foul trouble protection.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:17 pm Kriisa
Mathurin
Terry
Larsson
Aiken
Tubelis
Koloko
Kier

Ballo
Bal
Nowell

The starters and rotation guys come from among the first group. The others are injury/foul trouble protection.
Thanks Choo. I'm with you although when I saw Ballo with his 7' 260 pound frame I said he might be raw but could be useful to bang some opponents around. That's quite a big dude.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 am

“So I’m hearing” makes me envision you getting a manila envelope with the crop report in it from a guy in a trench coat in a dark parking garage, while it’s far more likely you just looked at our roster and came to the same conclusion the rest of us have which is that outside the top 8 players we have projects and never-will-be’s.
I just read through the thread, dude. I'll try to strike "So I'm hearing" from my lexicon to avoid further confusion.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Damn. The Tubelis free throw line dunk is not getting enough credit. He was 1 shoe in front of the line and easily dunked it

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:32 pm
Chicat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:46 am

I just read through the thread, dude. I'll try to strike "So I'm hearing" from my lexicon to avoid further confusion.
I just think you should give yourself credit. You know where this team is strong and where it has weak spots.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

didn’t watch but excited for the change

haven’t seen most of these guys yet but I do know Mathurin has a chance to be really, really good this year and Kriisa is a tough son of a gun.

looking forward to taking in the seasons first game - haven’t felt that way in a while.

Go Cats!!
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Very excited to watch the Vegas games. See if we can beat a good team in Wichita State….and if so, how we stack up against a top 5 team in Michigan
TheCatInTheHat

Non Conference Games

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

This isn't intended to be any definitive analysis for anybody to argue about; just a quick stab at an overview for anybody interested. IF we can beat a pretty good Wichita St team in Vegas, it would almost certainly line up a match-up with what would figure to be our toughest non-conference team...top 5 Michigan. They're led by 7-1, 260-lb SO center Hunter Dickinson. But, in theory, an even tougher degree of difficulty might come from a true road game at Tennessee, where Rick Barnes' team is pre-season ranked in the top 15. He's got a fairly remarkable recruiting class coming in, led by 6-10, 235-lb freshman Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, added to a fairly solid veteran team. Another toughie is at top 20 Illinois, where 7-0, 285-lb Kofi Cockburn seems to have been there for about 9 years. Wichita might be the 4th-best team we play. They're picked #3 in the AAC, led by AAC POY 6-2 guard Tyson Etienne. At McKale, a sneaky-tough team might be North Dakota St, picked #2 in the Summit league. They're led by 6-10, 245-lb forward Rocky Kreuser. Beyond that, it mostly looks like cannon fodder, although Wyoming (picked #6 in the MWC) might make things interesting. Anyway, that's how I see it from about 30,000 feet.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I really want to beat Wichita st.
After the 6-11 upset I really want to get them.
Sounds like we need to keep them off the 3 pt line and force them to put up a bunch of mid range jump shots as they were like 342nd from mid range last year.
I'm really excited about this team, but have no clue how we are going to look, I really hope to see toughness on defense. Can't wait to see more transition play. Less than a month til Nov 1!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:11 pm I really want to beat Wichita st.
the first day in the decline and eventual fall of Sean Miller at Arizona......
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Not me.... kinda hoping for a loss
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

97cats wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:56 am
Wasn't that also the sweaty shirt game? Where he had sweat through his shirt by the under 12? He had lost a bunch of weight that year, I figured he was on some crazy shiz nits from GNC or something.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Think he gained all that weight back, as I did when I lost a lot of weight.

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The Shockers were underseeded!! :x
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:39 pm
Wasn't that also the sweaty shirt game? Where he had sweat through his shirt by the under 12? He had lost a bunch of weight that year, I figured he was on some crazy shiz nits from GNC or something.
That was my thought also.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:57 pm
Right. IIRC…they were 12th in KenPom going into the tourney and ended up as an 11 seed?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:21 am
YoDeFoe wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:57 pm
Right. IIRC…they were 12th in KenPom going into the tourney and ended up as an 11 seed?
Yep. KenPom had them ranked between 1 seed Oregon and 2 seed Xavier. Same year Gonzaga got an 11 seed and smoked 3 seed Utah. Fuck the committee, honestly.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I think this past year, Loyola Chicago was like 10 in kenpom and ended up with an 8 seed. Think they had the #2 defense also. The committee is horrible at seeding really good mid majors. It's why there are so many 5-12 upsets. Because the committee is bad at their job. I should actually be on the committee, they need more analytics nerds.

It's just like the year they screwed us with Buffalo, that team was way better than a 13. Way better.

But the fans love the chaos, maybe they do it on purpose. The thing is that Illinois was a darling last year and they the Loyola draw, seems like usually the darlings get a first weekend pass.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not going to give ESPN a click. That’s something I just don’t do anymore.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Basically, it shows that Arizona is nowhere to be seen in the projected top 30
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Think the Pac is generally neglected/underrated in that forecast, not just AZ. It’s surprising given how well the league did in the tourney last season.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:25 am Not going to give ESPN a click. That’s something I just don’t do anymore.
Agreed. We have rules around here BC97. This isn't 'Nam.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

The Three Man Weave has us at 34 in their top 40, and I think that is fair.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/pac-12-2022-preview

They have a great podcast, they just did the big east preview so hopefully the pac 12 preview is soon.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:03 pm The Three Man Weave has us at 34 in their top 40, and I think that is fair.

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/pac-12-2022-preview

They have a great podcast, they just did the big east preview so hopefully the pac 12 preview is soon.
Notably this ranking was prior to Aiken's recommitment. I reached out about how that would have impacted the ranking and they said they'd bump us to roughly 30th (one of the three guys went as high as 25th, one as low as 35th).

"Fringe top-25" is fair and fine given the new system and staff, along with some under the radar talent. But goodness does this team have talent and I think we'll outperform these early trepid projections.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Pelle Larsson was participating in shooting drills but not full contact drills this past weekend. His stroke is pure. Looking forward to his full return.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:01 pm Pelle Larsson was participating in shooting drills but not full contact drills this past weekend. His stroke is pure. Looking forward to his full return.
Think he's good enough to be a starter this season, or is 6th man probably his ceiling for now?