[youtube]uDEQdxa8c1Q[/youtube]
97cats

Re: Gabe York

Post by 97cats »

he looks like hes mature physically -- best ive ever seen his frame look
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Per my thunderdome on the wing thread, the better he is, the more blood is spilled for that backup playing time. That is good.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

97cats wrote:he looks like hes mature physically -- best ive ever seen his frame look
Yeah he looks huge. Let's hope that translates on the court and inside the 3 point line.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
97cats wrote:he looks like hes mature physically -- best ive ever seen his frame look
Yeah he looks huge. Let's hope that translates on the court and inside the 3 point line.
Being stronger with the ball is necessary. If he could do that, play good D and hit threes against good competition, that would be a big deal.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:
Being stronger with the ball is necessary. If he could do that, play good D and hit threes against good competition, that would be a big deal.
Being strong with the ball and being able to accomplish anything inside the 3 point line would be huge.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Kinda reminds you of Nick Johnson in that clip.
:)
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

He's like a fine wine.

Well, at least for some of you.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:Image

Did he make it? Looks like he is coming in to low.

Drew League = No D league?
gumby

Post by gumby »

CBSSports.com: On paper, this team looks like it could be one of the deepest you've had since you've been a head coach. Who is the one player that isn't in bold print right now that could be a more known name by the time conference play kicks off in January?

Miller: Gabe York. Gabe has waited patiently since his freshman year. He's gotten bigger and stronger. He's motivated by things that used to motivate college players. He played a little his freshman year and got hungrier to have a bigger role. He had a good year for us last year and he'll have a bigger role this year. He can really shoot and that's critical to our team. We need him to make shots and he will because that's what he's known for but he's more versatile and he's a better player than he was last year. I mentioned that Rondae had 110 practices under his belt and Gabe has 220 practices under his belt. I have no doubts that he's going to be a significant contributor to our team and make a major impact.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -chemistry
Right where I want to be.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Top 10 Thursday: Best reserves

The 2014-15 season will commence this weekend for some programs as practice begins.

It might take some time for most teams to finalize their rotations. But the coaches with legit depth will have some tough decisions to make. The good news, however, is that they'll also have some talented players to use off the bench.

These 10 players might not start, but that doesn't mean they won't contribute. They're going to find a way to help.

1. Gabe York, Arizona Wildcats

The Arizona junior shot 39 percent from the 3-point line and averaged 6.7 points per game last season. After a strong offseason, a leaner York will be vital for a Wildcats squad that has an abundance of scorers but limited options for perimeter shooting.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... 015-season
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

A leaner York? Really? He needed to lose weight? Pffft.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
biggles

Post by biggles »

I don't know that I'd put too much stock into a single word from a Myron Metcalf post.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gabe York will be our 6th starter this year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Working on the mid-range. Trying for the same improvement Nick Johnson achieved in that area.

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/ ... basketball

Saying all the right things.
I’m shooting the ball well and not fading back on my shot anymore,” York said. “Instead of looking at the ball when I shoot, I’m just looking straight at the rim. Just by changing that alone, I’ve been making a lot more shots and free throws. Now I’m not just a shooter; I can take those two dribbles and go try to dunk on someone or pull up for a floater or mid-range jump shot. I’ve really worked on that.”

York also said he’s worked on his in-between game, such as floaters and pull ups, along with working on becoming a better finisher at and around the basket. This is an area he struggled in during his first two years.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Gabe turned 21 last Thursday and I saw him and Hazzard in HiFi Friday night. Still cant remember what I said to him :lol:
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't understand that tweet.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

He's subversively saying Arizona can't shoot, so York is it's best bet to remedy it.

Yes, York and Pitts are important.

But he's looking to be both smart and smartassed at same time.

Per the usual
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Gotcha.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

UA starting lineup still in flux after exhibition

http://tucson.com/sports/basketball/col ... 34fef.html
SeattleCat

Post by SeattleCat »

“It doesn’t matter if he’s happy,” Miller said after UA beat Cal Poly Pomona 67-51 in an exhibition game Sunday. “It really only matters if I’m happy.”
Love it!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just to be clear: He was saying that about Johnson. Forgot that Jerrett started over Ashley in the exhibition games.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

That quote also reads differently than the way it was said. I interpreted that Miller was being snarky to a rather stupid question.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Last night was his best game of the year. Great job, Gabe! Keep it up!

Go Cats!!
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Catstatic wrote:Last night was his best game of the year. Great job, Gabe! Keep it up!

Go Cats!!
Yep. Need the outside shooting threat. Played smart basketball last night.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He had a very good second half, first half not so much. Goose eggs I think.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, York still needs to get dialed into games from the beginning. He should understand the pace and level of intensity they require by now.

Still hoping to see him go off on one of those three streaks tonight. *crosses fingers*
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Best game I've seen Gabe play in a long time. He hit a couple of floaters and inside the arc jumpers, which was awesome. Hope he continues it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote:Best game I've seen Gabe play in a long time. He hit a couple of floaters and inside the arc jumpers, which was awesome. Hope he continues it.
You can usually tell what kind of game you're gonna get from York by how he does in the 1st few minutes.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

On a no-time-to-think just catch and shoot he's deadly. It's when he get the ball, dribbles, sets, and shoots, that he can't seem to hit the broad side of a broad.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
gumby

Post by gumby »

York and Tarc came up big.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

It's been a wild ride with Gabe for us board addicts. Going way back to the recruitment.

I'm happy for him. He reminds me a little of Kyle Fogg with the exception being - Kyle didn't have this kind of talent around him (& also wasn't so unnecessarily hyped in HS)...

BUT - he's working hard. It's paying off. York City is my boy. I never bought into the hype but I sure as hell buy into his work the last 16 months or whatever it's been.

Go Gabe Go.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

UAdevil wrote:On a no-time-to-think just catch and shoot he's deadly. It's when he get the ball, dribbles, sets, and shoots, that he can't seem to hit the broad side of a broad.
This. The play they're running for him now has him running all over the place along the baseline. They take the ball from side to side at the top of the key until a screen gives him just enough of an opening. They feed it to him and he quickly turns and shoots in one motion. I think he was 4-4 on that play last night. Playing to our guys' strengths. Great job, coaches!!

Go Cats!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:It's been a wild ride with Gabe for us board addicts. Going way back to the recruitment.

I'm happy for him. He reminds me a little of Kyle Fogg with the exception being - Kyle didn't have this kind of talent around him (& also wasn't so unnecessarily hyped in HS)...

BUT - he's working hard. It's paying off. York City is my boy. I never bought into the hype but I sure as hell buy into his work the last 16 months or whatever it's been.

Go Gabe Go.

If Gabe could become Fogg on defense, I'd be happy. Not to say that he hasn't improved, but the bar Gabe set was really low.
gumby

Post by gumby »

A consistent-shooting York would be so important to the team, so I can see why Miller is patient. In these grinder games, just a couple of three-pointers can be huge. If he became a true threat who had to be accounted for on every possession, the inside game would improve, too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Wow. Career high and no bump. 3 of 5 inside the arc ... 3 of 5 outside the arc.

Yorkcity!
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

gumby wrote:Wow. Career high and no bump. 3 of 5 inside the arc ... 3 of 5 outside the arc.

Yorkcity!
It's a New York!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:
gumby wrote:Wow. Career high and no bump. 3 of 5 inside the arc ... 3 of 5 outside the arc.

Yorkcity!
It's a New York!
Waiting for the gangs of new York.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Gabe did well last night. Hope he continues to bring it against the Zags.
Last edited by HiCat on Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Maybe it is a new York. That's what Miller said we'd see. As long as his production is commensurate with his role, then all is right in the world. Keep it up.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

His release is more fluid and quicker. He is also more aggressive of late. I like that.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

York is fine when he sets his feet, or gets into the hop. He cant shoot very well on the move. He has been doing a good job of squaring up and setting his feet prior to catching the ball.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Sets his feet and importantly has knees bent on the catch. Release has always been sweet, but this year from catch to air he's lightning.

Hate to say it, but I agree with McLean's observation that York is probably more accurate under pressure. A lot of shooters are like that.

Another theme in itself is York's D progress. I'm sure most would disagree, but I consider his D the past two years to be at very strong B level. I ike that: DB. Next, DA you criminals.
gumby

Post by gumby »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:

Yorkcity!
It's a New York!
I want to be a part of it.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »