Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Puerco

Re: Stanley Johnson Chemistry Thread

Post by Puerco »

I'm a little baffled that no one mentions the pass which enabled THE DUNK. I've seen clip after clip, and I've read all the quotes from the team after the game. No mention of SJ's pretty pass. :confused:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Puerco wrote:I'm a little baffled that no one mentions the pass which enabled THE DUNK. I've seen clip after clip, and I've read all the quotes from the team after the game. No mention of SJ's pretty pass. :confused:
Good point. That is like forgetting the bunsen burner in a chemistry experiment...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That pass was sweet.

Gonna love that connection.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He had a couple of very nice passes. I can see why 97Cats is so amped about his passing ability.

He'll be even better in that regard at the next level where the floor is more spaced out. UCI packed in their zone daring us to shoot from three, so the passing lanes were few and far between. I'm thinking we'll see that a lot this year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Puerco wrote:I'm a little baffled that no one mentions the pass which enabled THE DUNK. I've seen clip after clip, and I've read all the quotes from the team after the game. No mention of SJ's pretty pass. :confused:
Another poster and I mentioned it in the game thread-does that count?
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Another poster and I mentioned it in the game thread-does that count?
Nah, was mostly talking about the national media. So much (rightful) hype for that dunk, but the assist was a thing of beauty too.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

14 pts 7 reb 1 stl 25 mins

Improving with each game. Too many ticky tack fouls.

http://www.arizonawildcats.com/pdf9/3005112.pdf
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chad Ford:
• Arizona is the main attraction here in Maui. There are four players on the Wildcats who are potential first-round prospects. How have they fared?

Freshman Stanley Johnson has been ranked in the top 10 all summer thanks to a stellar high school career and a rep as one of the few two-way players in the draft. Blessed with a body reminiscent of a young Ron Artest, he can out-physical just about any other wing in college basketball. He's been solid so far, averaging 12.6 PPG and 5.6 RPG and he's thrown down some pretty incredible dunks. He's also had two solid games here in Maui against Missouri and Kansas State. But his lack of a jump shot (he's 4-for-14 from 3 this year) and only so-so handle puts his one-and-done status in doubt. Said one GM in Maui, "He's clearly got the physical tools to be a great NBA player, but his game has not caught up with those tools. There's a long ways to go from a skills development standpoint. Someone will take him in the lottery if he declares, but he's got a lot of work to do."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... tockWatch_
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

so-so handle puts his one-and-done status in doubt...Someone will take him in the lottery

Isn't that an oxymoron?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:so-so handle puts his one-and-done status in doubt...Someone will take him in the lottery

Isn't that an oxymoron?
was just about to comment on that. you can't state someone's one and done status is in doubt, and then quote a gm saying he'll be a lottery pick.

he's gone
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Yeah, that was pretty funny. I could have a Bluto Blutarsky GPA and only slightly better shooting percentages, and if somebody offered me a NBA lotto pick contract, I'd be gone too.
gumby

Post by gumby »

God I hate the "potential NBA" stuff, especially when it gets used to suggest we should be dominating everyone. If they're not currently playing at an NBA level, then it's meaningless. The games are played in the present tense. It's why a Marcus Foster can be the best player (offensively) on the floor.

Also wonder how much of the recruiting star system is based on potential, rather than current skill level.
Right where I want to be.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

gumby wrote:God I hate the "potential NBA" stuff, especially when it gets used to suggest we should be dominating everyone. If they're not currently playing at an NBA level, then it's meaningless. The games are played in the present tense. It's why a Marcus Foster can be the best player (offensively) on the floor.

Also wonder how much of the recruiting star system is based on potential, rather than current skill level.
Guy was 6/9 from 3 last night. Scary when a guy gets going like that. He hit a couple huge 3's down the stretch to keep it close, but our guys didn't back down.

Seemed the officials decided to tighten up on SJ coming out of the half. 2 ridiculous fouls in 1 1/2 minutes and he is on the bench with 4. You can see the talent he has, however. That behind the back dribble into the lane, then bringing it back to his right hand with the defender off-balance and going through him to the basket was monstrous! 7/8 from the line. Kid is as advertised.

He lives for games like tonight (Remember how he wanted to take Lebron in their scrimmage? Anyone think he, or the team, will be intimidated by SDSU?). If the officials call it even, or just let the teams play, I think we win by 8. We shall see.

Go Cats!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

18 & 9 MVP of the game

Stanley is clutch
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CSM with some nice praise for Stanimal. Mentioned how coachable he's been.

I think we can put to bed any notion that Stanley Johnson is a chemistry issue.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

I think he's cracked the top 25 for conference freshmen.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Give him the ball and get out the way. The Alpha we've been waiting for
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:I think he's cracked the top 25 for conference freshmen.
Should have redshirted.
-JB
az91

Post by az91 »

I would not be surprised if Stanley is our best player by the end of the season.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Johnson is truly the man. He knows how to play the fuckin game.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Stanley deserves the ball in the clutch and I want him at the line above all.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

az91 wrote:I would not be surprised if Stanley is our best player by the end of the season.
Think he's already there.

Go Cats!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Shepard three cost a lot of people money.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

4 titles in 4 years. He knows how to win.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yea, if he isnt our best player already, he will be by the end of 2014. This was his game tonight
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote:4 titles in 4 years. He knows how to win.
Stanley and Anu have that in common.
-JB
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

UAEebs86 wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:4 titles in 4 years. He knows how to win.
Stanley and Anu have that in common.
Good call. Maybe he'll play tomorrow and give us some magic to cap a perfect week.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

I think this is the first time I've posted on Stanimal...

As ridiculous as this sounds, I think he was underrated coming on. All I read about was his strength... His athleticism, both explosiveness AND quickness, was completely under-estimated. His combination of strength, athleticism, skills, & confidence is something I've never observed in the scores of freshman who have come through this program. Barring injury, I have zero doubt he will be the best NBA player (at least to date) to have ever worn an Arizona uniform. I expect more All-Star game appearances than ALL combined from those who proceeded him (although that is an astoundingly small #).

He is an Alpha dog... And while we've had our share, we've never had one with his ability. But that will be a double edged sword with respect to his legacy.

He's not selfless and lovable like Rondae & the Commish. His legacy will be dictated by how our season ends, and (while I am surprised to think this) I believe he will be the pivotal player that determines how far this team goes.

He's shown flashes of the terrific passing he was advertised to have, but he doesn't seem interested in putting in on display very often. His desire to demonstrate his skills in a 1-on-4 Fastbreak made more sense once I heard the announcers mention that he was told at the Lebron James Skills Academy that he should be a point guard. Not to say he couldn't be, but he's not right now - and that's not his role on this team.

For this team to reach its ceiling, he needs to thread the needle. Be the alpha dog when we need him to be, and back off from that mindest when the team doesn't. It's a tall order for an 18 year-old, but if his judgement can evolve to match his ability - and he can understand and operate within his own limitations and the framework of the team around him - this team can go as far as we want it to.

He's certainly an intriguing Cat... It will be interesting to see where he and this team are in March. I honestly am not sure what to expect, but it will be fun to watch.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

Love this kid. Nothing seems to phase him. As much talent as we have, I believe he's the "key" come tournament time.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Great post, Harvey.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The Goat wrote:Stanley deserves the ball in the clutch and I want him at the line above all.

SJ improves with every game. Miller talked about Stanley working to get better every week. I bet in 4-5 weeks, he'll be one of the "go to" guys for Arizona when Cats need points. (but needs work on fewer to's)

18 pts, 9 rebs, 1 ast, 3 stls, 1 blk, 37 mins

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400608748
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

In Maui he went for 46 points and 20 rebounds. Definitely our MVP for the week.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Maui "Bird" scores.

Stanley Johnson: 18+18+18 = 54.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson: 28+21+20 = 69.

Stanley was really good. Rondae was better.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

That was the case Wednesday night, as Sean Miller’s Wildcats held off No. 15 San Diego State 61-59 despite shooting just 36.5% from the field. Stanley Johnson scored 18 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead the way offensively, and Arizona’s ability to convert its defense into offense was critical.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... er=ya5nbcs
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Yeah, I'm surprised SJ won the MVP. His shooting wasn't all that great. 37% vs. RHJ's 52%. The other happy stats -- RB, ASST, STL, BLK, etc. were reasonably similar. I only actually saw one game though, so I can't much talk to the intangibles.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Stanley was the reason we won the SDSU game. His play on both ends was great. Rondae too...but he was quiet early in the game.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

So Stanley Johnson is a Chemistry major. Excellent.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Yeah, I'm surprised SJ won the MVP. His shooting wasn't all that great. 37% vs. RHJ's 52%. The other happy stats -- RB, ASST, STL, BLK, etc. were reasonably similar. I only actually saw one game though, so I can't much talk to the intangibles.
The types of shots each takes is remarkably different. Stanley takes tough jumpers which is going to drag his percentages down, but they are necessary. Without the threat of SJ's mid-range and outside game, there would be even less room than there is now for RHJ to operate.

Not saying that went into their MVP calculations, but it definitely went into mine.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It's a win win.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

The thing that impresses me the most about SJ is the body control he has when making his way to the basket. It is on another level.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Cool, thanks for the impressions guys. That's the stuff I can't get out of a box score.

Happily, the ASU game tonight is timed perfectly for me to watch on a crappy stream.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby

Post by gumby »

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... iew-120114

Wonder what he's referencing here.
Stanley Johnson had 18 points and nine rebounds in the title game on his way to tournament MVP honors. The freshman was also named Pac-12 Player of the Week despite shooting 31.8 percent in the last two games, and he recognizes there's plenty of room for improvement.

"I don't think I've fully adjusted yet, to be honest," said Johnson, who is averaging 13.5 points. "There is still a lot of stuff that we do as a team that I'm not physically good at yet. ... I still have a long way to go as a player on the team."
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

His best all around game to date as a Wildcat tonight. Great to see.

Don't know about his Chemistry but he scores pretty high in Physics.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

I haven't seen this posted yet. CBS named Stanley Freshman of the week: "Freshman of the Week for Nov. 25-Dec. 1: Arizona's Stanley Johnson."

http://tinyurl.com/mxezzr3
gumby

Post by gumby »

Loved the little rub screen that got him post-up position and the easy bucket. More of this. Also, he needs to trust his shooting early in games. He gets open looks, but then drives. All in all, looking solid.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

psiclist23 wrote:I haven't seen this posted yet. CBS named Stanley Freshman of the week: "Freshman of the Week for Nov. 25-Dec. 1: Arizona's Stanley Johnson."

http://tinyurl.com/mxezzr3
Thanks for the link, psiclist23. Terrific exposure for our guy!