December 6, 2014 -- Arizona vs Gonzaga

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: December 6, 2014 -- Arizona vs Gonzaga

Post by Olsondogg »

Oh man, my source came through...not behind bench, but still got me tix. Taking the wife (only likes the big games!!)
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I will be there. Heading down Friday after work. Plan on watching the pac 12 championship game downtown or on 4th. Got a room at Aloft. Waking up eating at frog before the game!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote: I would rather not watch than be in the "we can put the game on" situation. Can't bear the stupid comments and small talk when my mind is 100 percent on the tube. My kids know when to clear out. Adults do not. Had a neighbor visit in the midst of the Illinois meltdown game. "Oh, I thought it was over."

Yeah, me, too.
Kids have to adapt to adults with this affliction. I don't have kids, but I have nephews and nieces and friends' children who have to adapt to mine. Adults generally don't get anything that they or someone close to doesn't suffer from. No host with dogs and cats really gets that somebody with allergies has to leave their house right this very minute.

The only adults who truly recognize and share our illness are students currently in college, or older adults who went to one of:

Ohio State
Notre Dame
Penn State
Indiana
Syracuse
North Carolina
Duke
Florida
Florida State
Alabama
Auburn
Louisville
Kentucky
Texas
Michigan
Michigan State
Arizona
USC

I don't know if I'm missing any on that list. UCLA should maybe make it, though its sickos are further and farther between. Oregon might get there.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Nothing better than a Saturday afternoon/evening game in McKale.
PerpEph

Post by PerpEph »

I'll be there. 7th row. Unreal.

Anybody want to grab drinks after the game? We are spending the night in Tucson.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PerpEph wrote:I'll be there. 7th row. Unreal.

Anybody want to grab drinks after the game? We are spending the night in Tucson.
you know it!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote: I would rather not watch than be in the "we can put the game on" situation. Can't bear the stupid comments and small talk when my mind is 100 percent on the tube. My kids know when to clear out. Adults do not. Had a neighbor visit in the midst of the Illinois meltdown game. "Oh, I thought it was over."

Yeah, me, too.
Kids have to adapt to adults with this affliction. I don't have kids, but I have nephews and nieces and friends' children who have to adapt to mine. Adults generally don't get anything that they or someone close to doesn't suffer from. No host with dogs and cats really gets that somebody with allergies has to leave their house right this very minute.
But we vacuumed! Fluffy never goes into that room!
Right where I want to be.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love my wife!

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

wtf is wrong with Pitts' elbow?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Last night I was excited for Saturday...couldn't sleep. Love big games in McKale...I can't think of another regular season sporting event I'd prefer.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:wtf is wrong with Pitts' elbow?
Nothing it just grew an acorn.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

When: Saturday, Dec. 6, 5:15 p.m.

TV: ESPN

The best-of-the-West list is a short one, with Arizona reigning over the likes of Gonzaga, San Diego State and fellow Pac-12 team UCLA. Thankfully, these teams tend to play each other quite frequently, and Gonzaga's visit to Arizona makes for one of the biggest non-made-for-TV games of the month.

Labeled as coach Mark Few's best team yet, Gonzaga has looked very good so far. The Bulldogs had three wins of 50-plus points at home before handling both Georgia and pseudo-home team St. John's in the NIT Season Tip-Off in New York City. It's been a mix of old and new for this squad, with point guard Kevin Pangos looking like the best guard in the country thanks to having new weapons Kyle Wiltjer and Domantas Sabonis to work with.

Arizona hasn't been dominant, but it's also continued to keep winning the way it wants to—with tough defense and balanced offense. The Wildcats plodded through to the Maui Invitational title last week, edging San Diego State in the final for their fourth win in three seasons over the Aztecs and maintaining their spot atop the West Coast hoops hierarchy.

This is a rematch of last year's third-round West Region NCAA tournament game (which Arizona handily won 84-61).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2281 ... er/page/11
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It will be worthwhile to see how a plodding team like Arizona does against a dominant team like Gonzaga. Does Arizona make Gonzaga carry buckets of gravel up a hill? Or does Gonzaga blow out Arizona by 50? Either way it will be interesting, if you find the only three noteworthy examples of college basketball in the west interesting. We'll show the game right here on ESPN just in case you want to watch the same Arizona team who slid down the rankings a bit after squeaking by that third team in the west in Maui right here on ESPN while you all slept. They did it their way, rather than in a convincing way like Duke would have. But first, tune in right here to ESPN to listen to Seth Greenberg wonder whether Arizona can shoot well enough.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Will Arizona continue their tradition of disappointing victories?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:Will Arizona continue their tradition of disappointing victories?
:lol:

Reminds me of what Gary Danielson said of Florida State's football team. One more victory and they're out of the playoffs.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

I just scored tickets for me and 4 year old daughter from my BOSS!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Not sure a 4-year-old should be exposed to such an intense event. Better give that to a local poster.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

gumby wrote:Not sure a 4-year-old should be exposed to such an intense event. Better give that to a local poster.
Shit she loves her some UA Basketball brother! She can name you the whole roster and still asks me daily how Nick Johnson is doing with the Rockets. One of these moments I charish with my Daughter!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Biggest game of the year.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Gonzaga fanbase is probably the most real and respectful I have ever made acquaintance.

As well as the Cats were hitting the three ball last night, that covered for some bad lapses in defensive recovery.

Gonzaga's at a different level, and I expect Pangos to make the Cats pay for those attention deficits and for the Bulldogs to go aggressive man and make Zeus beat them one-on-one.

It's really important to an Arizona victory that the Cats dial in and attack the Zags from the opening tip. Screw the fouls, use our bench and make them play uncomfortably fast just like they did in the tournament last year.

Give them time to set up in their offense while having another slow first 10 minutes and Gonzaga can break the non-conference winning streak and McKale Magic IMHO.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

gumby wrote:Biggest game of the year.
yeah, i think you're right (though michigan could be really good for our rpi if they can beat wisconsin) - big statement game for both teams. i think i read somewhere (here?) that our last reg season non-conf loss was to gonzaga in 2011.

saturday's game will not only be a huge test for our team, but a real opportunity to take a big step forward in creating the kind of identity we'd like our team and program to have. as fans, we often sense that other teams don't get the type of stage fright they might get when playing duke at cameron or uk & the bbn or (for you fellow old-schoolers) 90s-era arkansas & their 40 minutes of hell. we want to strike fear into the hearts of our opponents. we want other teams to loathe playing arizona.

go 'cats.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Zags fans are pretty realistic.

This is a good post:
A few keys:

1) The Zags must keep turnovers to a minimum. Pangos, Bell and company will have defenders in their grill all game long. The bigs must be decisive with their offensive moves and passes. The Zags need to do everything possible to make Arizona run halfcourt offense and keep the crowd out of the game. They must reduce Zona's transition game.

2) Karnowski and Sabonis must stay out of foul trouble. They have to stay away from cheap fouls so that the fouls they give are legit. They will be battling an elite frontcourt. I expect Wiltjer to struggle in this game defensively (he is going to have a hard time containing almost anyone he is assigned to). Karno and Sabonis need to play a lot of minutes together in order for the Zags to excel in this game.

3) The Zags must hit their free throws. Arizona may only be shooting 71% from the foul line, but they can stick a lineup out there that consists of 75%+ foul shooters. I don't expect Zona is misfire on the foul line that much in their home arena.

4) Hollis-Jefferson needs to be boxed out. He is a nuisance on the offense glass and loves blocking shots and stealing the basketball from big men and wings who aren't decisive in their moves going toward the hoop. He is the kind of guy who can completely turn a game around and ignite a crowd with his electric athleticism and ceaseless motor.

The biggest thing the Zags need to do is just stay in the game. If they can build a lead and maintain it, all the better because Arizona is so good when it comes to getting stops in the final 3-4 minutes. Their defense, which is already elite, goes up a notch in crunch time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Gonzaga fan is coming to the right place. Arizona loves to let good opposition build up a lead and maintain it. They like to pick that pattern up and fondle it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

HiCat wrote:Zag fan talk ...predictions

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/sho ... 8f4d954c22
Some of those predictions for Gonzaga or Arizona winning are ridiculous. The worst is that fan who thinks Gonzaga will win by 10 points while carrying as much as a 20-point lead.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Those scores they're predicting are much too high as well. Unless it goes to OT I doubt it'll be in the 70s.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

I know this is pretty shocking, but Seth Davis picked Gonzaga:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Seth Davis is a major tool.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i depart LAX at 5pm tonight -- to say im excited for this one is an understatement.
  • 32 straight OOC victories
    25 straight home wins
last OOC loss -- December 17, 2011 vs Gonzaga on a neutral floor in Seattle
Last edited by 97cats on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

very excited....but i can't put my full effort into this game until about 10:30 tonight! maybe not until the morning depending on if i'm celebrating or not tonight.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

97cats wrote:i depart LAX at 5pm tonight -- to say im excited for this one is an understatement.
    25 straight home wins
last OOC loss -- December 17, 2011 vs Gonzaga on a neutral floor in Seattle
Bear Down 97... We need to keep those streaks going!

This is gonna be a hell of a 24-hour stretch starting at 9EST tonight...
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

24hours of intense CATS sports.

What a great time to be a CATS fan.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Good column

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/d ... t-friendly
You could certainly infer as much talking to Arizona coach Sean Miller three Decembers ago, when he was trying to swallow a pretty fair beatdown the Zags had administered to his team in KeyArena. It ended 71-60, but was 34-15 at one point and Miller was chain-smoking timeouts.

This was the game in which Elias Harris rediscovered his freshman self and tortured the Wildcats inside, and when Miller took a swing at an analogy afterward he found the sweet spot.

“If this was a football game,” he said, “they would have 180, 200 yards running – 5 yards on every carry.”

Miller felt bullied. So he kicked his chair and gambled a stamp and did the Charles Atlas thing, and over the next few years some big, strong types like Aaron Gordon, Kaleb Tarczewski, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Stanley Johnson have made their way to UA. Gordon has moved on to the NBA, but the Zags must deal with the other three come Saturday.
That is some fine writing.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

azcat34 wrote:I know this is pretty shocking, but Seth Davis picked Gonzaga:
I love that final score prediction. Gonzaga has scored 104, 72, 94, 109, 88, 73, 76 in their seven wins this season. Against the best defense they've seen so far, they'll score the same amount of points they've been scoring? When the game is AT Arizona? Obviously our defense isn't as good as last year's, but we're not giving up 75 points unless the team folds under pressure and stops playing defense for long stretches. I just don't see that happening. We may not win, but Gonzaga won't have as easy a time scoring as they're used to.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
97cats

Post by 97cats »

thank you, Gumby
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Seth Davis and Jeff Goodman going with the Zags is a great sign.

Can't wait for McKale on Saturday.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

AZCatGirl wrote:
azcat34 wrote:I know this is pretty shocking, but Seth Davis picked Gonzaga:
I love that final score prediction. Gonzaga has scored 104, 72, 94, 109, 88, 73, 76 in their seven wins this season. Against the best defense they've seen so far, they'll score the same amount of points they've been scoring? When the game is AT Arizona? Obviously our defense isn't as good as last year's, but we're not giving up 75 points unless the team folds under pressure and stops playing defense for long stretches. I just don't see that happening. We may not win, but Gonzaga won't have as easy a time scoring as they're used to.
That's the thing. When Davis and (before he got canned) Digger Phelps pick Arizona to lose, they're right sometimes. But in any big game they always pick against Arizona. Based on the principle that teams do lose (except Kentucky), Davis gets to be right sometimes, and as a result there's no bearing his haughty looks. Still, Arizona tends not to lose for the reasons that Davis and Phelps give. Davis in particular really has just a casual fan's "eye test" understanding of the game, which is why he can't analyze match ups. Last pre-season he was right about Arizona's limitations, but only after Ashley unexpectedly went down after Arizona dominated college basketball.

I think if you were to ask Davis to sum up Arizona's basketball program in one word, he'd say "pretender". I don't know if it's for real or if he's just a troll, but he consistently lives in a world where the universe over-values Arizona.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I agree with what Longhorned wrote above.

The "eye test" is what ruins your bracket every March. Zags are a good team, at least I think they are. They have yet to play a really good team.

I have read alot about how great the Zags offense is, and yeah they've shot well. Against SAC, SMU, St Joes, STACY, UGA, SJU and SELA...

Oh and they were down at half, at home, against SELA.

Hats off to them if they pull out a victory in McKale. But I don't see this as the game where the streak ends. I actually worry more about the team visiting next weekend...
gumby

Post by gumby »

We can handle Utah Valley. C'mon!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:We can handle Utah Valley. C'mon!

Weekend, gumby...weekend....
gumby

Post by gumby »

Damn speed reading course. F*ck Evelyn Wood.

Wrong Wolverines.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

@GoodmanESPN · 2h hours ago

Good to be home:
97cats wrote:
    25 straight home wins
Gardner-Webb made it 34 actually.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what does everyone think about tomorrows game? Should be a good one.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Please salvage the weekend Basket Cats.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I've never been more thankful to have a ticket. Get my mind off tonight. No pressure Cats. The fans just really need you to win this game more than ever.

You know one thing I bet we'll see tomorrow? Arizona basketball for 40 minutes. Not this conservative offense bullshit.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

CalStateTempe wrote:So what does everyone think about tomorrows game? Should be a good one.
I think the zags are gonna win.

making this sports weekend the complete opposite of last weekend.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jay Williams and Seth Greenburg both picked us to win.

We are fucked...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Screw that. It may not be pretty, but we're winning that game tomorrow.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

I'm guessing that Arizona is excited and ready for this game. (fired up, and running from the get go)
Last edited by HiCat on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.