Bilas

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Bilas

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seems a bit passive aggressive tonight, no?
CalStateTempe

Re: Bilas

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bilas didn't know that we haven't lost a non-con game the past two years.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love listening to Bilas actually
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I do too, and the last few minutes he's been better.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ban him.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Love his comments about flops. Professional announcer.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

gumby wrote:Love his comments about flops. Professional announcer.
I would still start Pitts over him.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Loved him today! We need games like this on ESPN every year. Great for the program.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

Bilas is a professional. Best in the business maybe in that regard. He's such a pro that when I said I liked him even though he played for Duke, the people I was with, who watch a lit of basketball were surprised. They had never ever noticed any bias from him.

In fact, the fact that I've never called him jay bias is testament to what a pro he is.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:Love his comments about flops. Professional announcer.
He said that Stanley isn't much of a shooter when I thought Stanley has been our best 3 pt shooter other than Pitts.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Shot is too flat. He's right. No more Flat Stanley.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Meh.

Betcha the schmuck hasn't even pre-ordered the latest Dylan album yet.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Never been to the Rialto.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Bilas went to Mater Dei. He knows west coast basketball, and probably has a secret love for it.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It helps having a guy that like call a game like this; it will make a big impression on him throughout the season when discussing the best teams in the country. It reinforced his assertion about the state of the program when he said something like "this is why AZ has been one of the top five programs in the nation for the past several years..."
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Bosy Billups wrote:Bilas went to Mater Dei. He knows west coast basketball, and probably has a secret love for it.
He did not go to mater Dei but he is from the area.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He went to Rolling Hills High School in RH, CA
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Duke pulled Mark Alarie in that same class. Brophy Prep. Bilas was right about Johnny Dawkins. Great college player.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

midnightx wrote:It helps having a guy that like call a game like this; it will make a big impression on him throughout the season when discussing the best teams in the country. It reinforced his assertion about the state of the program when he said something like "this is why AZ has been one of the top five programs in the nation for the past several years..."
Who gives a crap about anyone's impression. We are who we are, recruiting top 5 classes year in and year out, we don't need any praise or claims of being the 1st or 100th program in the nation. Who cares! Just win, let them follow, or not. Who cares!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Who cares? Missed all those posts where every slight -- perceived or real -- is posted?
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

He regurgitated the same b.s. every espn talking heads does about our "lack of offense" "lack of shooters"
he loses credibility with me when he says "Stanley isn't a shooter" Stanley other than Ashley and I suppose Gabe and Pitts is one of our best shooters and has shown the last three games he can knock down the jumper just fine.

Bilas use to be much better with his analysis of west coast teams.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Duke wasn't built only on the backs of its coach and players and fans. It had help with the free good press. Having an airwaves ambassador isn't everything, but it does help the brand.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Love Bilas for the most part...wish he'd respond to me, well again that is...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CalStateTempe wrote:Bilas didn't know that we haven't lost a non-con game the past two years.
So no one on our entire roster has lost an ooc game? Wow
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jefe wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Bilas didn't know that we haven't lost a non-con game the past two years.
So no one on our entire roster has lost an ooc game? Wow
Drew Mellon was there in '11. I blame him...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat wrote:Drew Mellon was there in '11. I blame him...
Had he played in the 2011 Gonzaga game, we would have won :lol: Thanks Coach
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Anyone have ESPN Insider, Bilas has a story about the Cats?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Olsondogg wrote:Love Bilas for the most part...wish he'd respond to me, well again that is...
You are awesome on Twitter, keep it up.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Irish27 wrote:Anyone have ESPN Insider, Bilas has a story about the Cats?
Jeff Goodman: Jay, we both saw Arizona in person over the past 10 days. I watched them grind out a tough win against Gonzaga and make it awfully difficult for a Zags team that has so many offensive options to score. You saw them dismantle a struggling but talented Michigan team in Tucson a week later.

I like this team a lot, especially from a defensive and toughness standpoint, but I'm just not sold it can win the national title this season. It's probably more because I don't think the Wildcats can rely on guys like Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, T.J. McConnell and Brandon Ashley to consistently make shots from the perimeter. Where do you stand with this Arizona team and what do you feel is its ceiling?

Jay Bilas: Arizona had its best game against Michigan. That was, in part, due to Arizona's preparation, which was as impressive as any game prep I have seen all season. And it was also due to Michigan. The Wolverines are not a good team right now on either end of the floor. I think Arizona is in the top tier of teams this season, but I still have the Wildcats behind Kentucky, Duke and Wisconsin. After that, I would put Arizona up with Louisville, Villanova and Virginia as the next best teams.

Sean Miller is a great basketball coach. You can see why he connects so well with players, and why Arizona calls itself "a players' program." He has the uncommon ability to get players to lock into specific detail without wearing them out mentally. Arizona is not the same team it was last season, and lacks consistency in offensive efficiency and perimeter shooting.

In short, Arizona does not have a bunch of natural scorers, nor is it as good on the offensive glass as last season's team, but it can defend. Hollis-Jefferson can guard anyone, Johnson proved against Michigan that he can lock in and be an outstanding defender, Kaleb Tarczewski is one of the better help defenders among big men, and McConnell is one of the best defenders in the country as well. Arizona will not overwhelm most of the teams it plays, but there is nobody out there that Arizona cannot beat.

Goodman: I agree with all of that, Jay -- except that I feel you may be missing one team when mentioning the best in the country. You have Arizona in a group with Louisville, Villanova and Virginia, right behind UK, Duke and Wisconsin. I think you're showing some East Coast bias -- and forgetting about the Zags. I know I went out on a little bit of a limb when I picked Gonzaga to win it all, but I do think they belong in the conversation with the top seven to eight teams.

They have everything, except for two things: (1) They haven't broken through yet to make a Final Four. (2) Their defense isn't in the same class as most of those other teams. However, it's one of the best defensive teams Mark Few has had (especially when Domantas Sabonis is on the floor), and the Zags have a guy who is as good at running a team as anyone in Kevin Pangos. You really don't think they belong in the conversation with Arizona, Villanova, Virginia and Louisville?

Bilas: Absolutely, that is fair. Gonzaga definitely belongs in that group of teams. Gonzaga is much better offensively than Arizona, although I think the Wildcats will get better (including offensive rebounding, an area in which Arizona can get much better). I see Gonzaga as being one of the five best offensive teams in the country, despite not getting to the free throw line often, and can score with anyone. I don't, however, feel Gonzaga is in the same tier defensively as Arizona, nor do the Zags get on the glass like Arizona can.

Of the teams I mentioned, all are rated at least 20 spots ahead of Gonzaga in adjusted defense, and all but Duke are rated in the top 10. Gonzaga is rated outside of the top 30 in adjusted defense. There is one other team I would put up in that tier, when healthy, and that is Texas. With a healthy Isaiah Taylor, the Longhorns are in that group behind Kentucky, Duke and Wisconsin.

Goodman: I am buying Texas in that next tier, because of their size, depth and experience. They were within a couple of possessions at Rupp against Kentucky, without arguably their best (along with Jonathan Holmes) and most important player in Taylor. Another team -- perhaps the most difficult to figure out at this point in the season -- that probably belongs in this group is Kansas.

Bill Self hasn't just handed heralded freshman Cliff Alexander and Kelly Oubre Jr. minutes. He's making them earn it. Wayne Selden remains inconsistent and Perry Ellis has clearly been the Jayhawks' most consistent player. Do you think Kansas will be a legitimate Final Four or national title threat come February and March? I think the key to the team will be point guard play and Frank Mason. He's a tough kid and has improved his shooting, but the Jayhawks need someone to make life easier for guys like Selden, Alexander, Oubre, etc.

Bilas: Kansas will be there by the end of the season, but the Jayhawks are not there yet. Of the many great coaching jobs Bill Self has done (he's a Naismith Hall of Famer right now), this will wind up being as good as any. Self's freshmen are not ready yet, his guards have not been consistent and his frontcourt is not what it has been. But I have no doubt he will take this group and make it into a top-10 team. I would not, however, put Kansas up in the top 10 right now.

Goodman: Two last questions for you, Jay: (1) Kansas or Texas winning the Big 12? Before the start of the season, I said the Jayhawks weren't going to win a share of their 11th consecutive Big 12 title because I think there are three teams that can challenge them for the crown: Texas, Iowa State and Oklahoma. (2) Did you wind up going to Dirtbags while you were in Tucson? It's where I spent many a night back in the day. Great spot -- and I think you'd feel right at home!

Bilas: I picked Kansas to win the Big 12. You'd have to be institutionalized to go against 10 straight titles, but after seeing both teams up close, Texas is better. Does that mean Kansas won't put it all together and win No. 11? Of course not, but a healthy Texas is the better team right now, and Kansas will have to catch up. As for Tucson, I wasn't able to get to any of the dives you frequented as a college student, hanging out with the unwashed masses. I was poppin' bottles in the club VIP room, which is what winners do.
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Them talking about offense and defense just seems so stupid. All that bullshit goes out the window when the ball is thrown up in the air for one particular game...and we see whose got the stones and who doesn't. This AZ team does, and they will do whatever Is necessary to win, no matter how it looks.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Arizona is not the same team it was last season, and lacks consistency in offensive efficiency and perimeter shooting.

In short, Arizona does not have a bunch of natural scorers
Pretty sure those were the same negatives we had last year, without Ashley . . .

12th in the country in FG% doesnt mean anything I guess
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

pokinmik wrote:Them talking about offense and defense just seems so stupid. All that bullshit goes out the window when the ball is thrown up in the air for one particular game...and we see whose got the stones and who doesn't. This AZ team does, and they will do whatever Is necessary to win, no matter how it looks.
This team right now is much better offensively than the Arizona team WITHOUT Ashley last year.

16th right now in AdjO I will take with so many new parts that needed to get worked in.

Hopefully Arizona can get into the Top 10 by tournament time and Top 5 in AdjD.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Modern analysis is much like modern politics: find a platform, fixate upon it ad nauseam, ignore facts to the contrary, and dismiss progress to the contrary.

This year's platform is:

Kentucky is greatest team of all time
Duke is also
Wisconsin/KAMINSKY!!!
Arizona struggles offensively

Nevermind Arizona has shot under 44% just twice this year. Same as Duke. Fewer than Kentucky and Wisconsin by half.
gumby

Post by gumby »

pokinmik wrote:Them talking about offense and defense just seems so stupid. All that bullshit goes out the window when the ball is thrown up in the air for one particular game...and we see whose got the stones and who doesn't. This AZ team does, and they will do whatever Is necessary to win, no matter how it looks.
Is it stupid for us to do so, too? Because if it is, well, um, what did you have for dinner last night? And who is hotter? Kate or Cat?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Arizona, with Sean Miller, is a bad matchup defensively for pretty much every team.

Anyone willing to bet, as I predict, that we're going to be hearing Bilas and Goodman, after Arizona shuts down at least four straight teams, echo a popular phrase in April: "Defense wins championships"?

In the new college basketball, offensive talent is random. Defensive skill is consistent. Otherwise you're Marshall Henderson.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

gumby wrote:
Is it stupid for us to do so, too? Because if it is, well, um, what did you have for dinner last night? And who is hotter? Kate or Cat?
Haha. I love reading about and being informed on all things AZ basketball so I appreciate when everyone here talks about it, I don't get into it too much personally though. It was more the way their exchange went down, as if such and such stat or the "az can't shoot" meme is a guarantee on how far this team can go and with such certainty. But I get it, that's what talking heads do. There are no grey areas when you're a talking head.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

The stage is set. We have played our toughest competition of the year in Gonzaga. Even if we run the table (don't think we will), the fact that the Pac is down will nullify any accomplishments. Kentucky, Duke and Wisconsin are the teams to beat. Fine.

We always do better with perceived slights. I actually think Miller coaches better with the disrespect chip on his shoulder. No one gets high level recruits to play defense with more passion than Miller. No one. By tourney time this team will be a monster on defense. So we stink on offense? Um, no.

Anyone who believes we are not TONS better on the offensive end this year over last has no idea what they're talking about! Was AG an offensive force? We cheered when he made one of two free throws! Greatest defender ever at Arizona as far as I'm concerned, and he was a beast on the offensive boards, but offense itself? Not so much. NJ was solid, but York/Pitts are starting to figure it out. Combine that with all the other guys having another year under their belts, mix in Stanimal, Ristic and PJC, and the cherry on the cake is BAsh is back, hitting 3's and spinning layups ... and we're worse offensively than last year? Wow! Okay. If you say so.

The stage is set and so is the narrative. I think it sets up perfectly for us.

Go Cats!!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I actually don't think we're as good offensively this year as we were last year with Ashley on the floor. I think we will eventually be better, but losing Nick hurt a lot, and replacing Gordon with York is probably a push. I think the key to our offense's success come March will be how Stanley continues to develop within the confines of the offense. Happily, this is looking pretty positive over the past few games.

I haven't seen much in the way of RHJ perimeter shooting. Any evidence that all his work over the summer paid dividends?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat34 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Love Bilas for the most part...wish he'd respond to me, well again that is...

Well Goodman blocked me...maybe Bilas is next.

I guess stats and offensive rankings get in the way of a good story...they don't like that pointed out.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Might be quantity instead of quality. It's the incessant heel-nipping that keeps me off Twitter.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Olsondogg wrote:
azcat34 wrote:

Well Goodman blocked me...maybe Bilas is next.

I guess stats and offensive rankings get in the way of a good story...they don't like that pointed out.
Goodman is a joke, keep ripping these guys.