Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Let's talk '25

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well that's some exciting news.

Koa would be the best recruit we've landed for a while.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I think all the nil money that C Love is getting this year will go to Koa next year
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:32 pm I think all the nil money that C Love is getting this year will go to Koa next year
Arizona isn't going to give that much NIL to a non-proven player. He'll get paid for sure, but he's not going to get C Love money in year 1.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:11 pm
84Cat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 1:32 pm I think all the nil money that C Love is getting this year will go to Koa next year
Arizona isn't going to give that much NIL to a non-proven player. He'll get paid for sure, but he's not going to get C Love money in year 1.
Then that may not bode so well for landing him?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:58 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:11 pm
Then that may not bode so well for landing him?
Nah, not necessarily. NIL is important for this recruitment, but you don't have to be the highest bidder to land a guy.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UA didn't make the cut
Dave

Post by Dave »

Pretty interesting! We go from being the leader to not even making the Top 6. ASU! Seriously!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:15 am Pretty interesting! We go from being the leader to not even making the Top 6. ASU! Seriously!
I don't get ASU either. They recruit very well, even as their program continues to fail. Reminds me of Romar at UW.

I think this kid ends up at USC or KU.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:15 am Pretty interesting! We go from being the leader to not even making the Top 6. ASU! Seriously!
Sheer/Luke said on YouTube it was a highest bidder + getting family members into the US scenario.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah he wants A LOT.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:01 am
I don't get ASU either. They recruit very well, even as their program continues to fail. Reminds me of Romar at UW.

I think this kid ends up at USC or KU.
Hurley has a good amount of money to spend at the moment and he's trying to get a quality liferaft outside of Tempe ASAP.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

I am afraid that we are starting to see the full effect of NIL on AZ basketball recruiting. We just can't afford to stay up with the Jones's.

I think that Lloyds recruiting strategy is going to involve more lower rated 4 stars that are not being pursued by the $monied$ SEC/B1G programs with a healthy dose of international players sprinkled in. We will probably have enough money to chase only 1 or 2 top players each year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'd just look at the transfer portal for mid-major players. With all the one and dones, and unlimited transfers by players, why waste any time on developing freshmen?

Keep looking at Euros of course, just don't make them the core of the program.

UA obviously doesn't have the NIL money KU does, but Self is really killing it with transfers.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:25 pm I'd just look at the transfer portal for mid-major players. With all the one and dones, and unlimited transfers by players, why waste any time on developing freshmen?

UA obviously doesn't have the NIL money KU does, but Self is really killing it with transfers.
I agree that the Portal is going to play an ever important role in filling out the roster, but thats largely going to resemble the HS recruiting scene. The better players are going to portal to the B1G/SEC schools with the +100MM in yearly TV revenue. I hope the fans don't start calling for Lloyds head......theres not a thing he can do about it. Its all about $$$$$$$$$$ and the poor ole UA doesn't have that.

I am still holding out slim hopes for Congress to step in and place guardrails on the whole NIL system and restore some form of amateur status to the College game. College football/Bball are now little more than Semi-Pro leagues and the UA will never compete effectively in that environment.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:36 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:25 pm I'd just look at the transfer portal for mid-major players. With all the one and dones, and unlimited transfers by players, why waste any time on developing freshmen?

I agree that the Portal is going to play an ever important role in filling out the roster, but thats largely going to resemble the HS recruiting scene. The better players are going to portal to the B1G/SEC schools with the +100MM in yearly TV revenue. I hope the fans don't start calling for Lloyds head......theres not a thing he can do about it. Its all about $$$$$$$$$$ and the poor ole UA doesn't have that.

I am still holding out slim hopes for Congress to step in and place guardrails on the whole NIL system and restore some form of amateur status to the College game. College football/Bball are now little more than Semi-Pro leagues and the UA will never compete effectively in that environment.

Yup. SEC congressmen are going to vote in a block.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:50 pm I am afraid that we are starting to see the full effect of NIL on AZ basketball recruiting. We just can't afford to stay up with the Jones's.

I think that Lloyds recruiting strategy is going to involve more lower rated 4 stars that are not being pursued by the $monied$ SEC/B1G programs with a healthy dose of international players sprinkled in. We will probably have enough money to chase only 1 or 2 top players each year.
This is an east coast guy. Not sure how many true east coasters we've gotten recently, or at least in the Lloyd era. Bradley's from NY, but he transferred in.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 12:50 pm I am afraid that we are starting to see the full effect of NIL on AZ basketball recruiting. We just can't afford to stay up with the Jones's.

If you want to land a guy like this (Top 50ish from the east coast) you better get on him early. We got on him late, which has been the norm for Tommy Lloyd, so yeah what else could you expect?
Dave

Post by Dave »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 1:36 pm

I have some real concerns about the impact of NIL on us but to say that we will never be able to complete effectively might be a little dramatic. Top 30 in revenue is pretty good. It could also mean our ceiling is top 25.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/1 ... s_in_2023/