Merkin

Re: free throws

Post by Merkin »

12-25.

3PT 4-16 not so great either.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Good shooting is for teams that don't know how to grab rebounds.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

We'll be fine...two very good FT shooting bigs, SJ can shoot FTs and will get a ton, and TJ is capable of being another 70+% shooter.

Opening game jitters. This team doesn't scare me at the line like AG and freshman Rondae did last year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

loomer

Post by loomer »

yes please
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Do this every game and March will be fun.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

29 of 34

It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Best part of the game. Other shots sure weren't falling.
Right where I want to be.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

3 games in a row we've shot it well. I really do think we've turned the corner.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

71.4% tonight
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

87% after missing the first 5.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Gotta make those 1and1's though. That is an extra few missed free throws in my book. But yea I'm not complaining tonight.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Sorry, but not entirely a clutch team yet. Did not like those misses from Stanley, TJ and York in the final two minutes.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:Sorry, but not entirely a clutch team yet. Did not like those misses from Stanley, TJ and York in the final two minutes.
what DO you like? anything?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:Sorry, but not entirely a clutch team yet. Did not like those misses from Stanley, TJ and York in the final two minutes.
Shooters. High basketball IQ. 40 minutes of desire.

The ability to know when a team is about to be put away and stepping on their throats.

Most of all, I'd like to gag the next ESPN talking head who tries to say the SEC is "clearly No. 1" in both basketball and football. It happened tonight with that studio nimrod next to Williams and Greenberg.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catgrad97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

The ability to know when a team is about to be put away and stepping on their throats.

Most of all, I'd like to gag the next ESPN talking head who tries to say the SEC is "clearly No. 1" in both basketball and football. It happened tonight with that studio nimrod next to Williams and Greenberg.
Dude you try way too hard to sound cerebral.

Have you not watched all the games this year.? This team has flaws that can be fixed ... but I don't think their toughness is in question. At least not to date.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

shot 71% from the line. Hit 6 of 8 to close out a game.

That is all.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Yeah, after all those misses early, including usually reliable Tarzewski (wasn't he very solid last season?), the end line from the charity stripe was actually pretty good. Acceptable even. It just seemed like we missed a bunch because they were all consecutive early on.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Free-throws were pretty awful yesterday. Don't give me the 6-8 at the end or 71% (which is not good enough to win in the NCAA or against elite teams). Missing the front end of one and one is just as bad as missing two. Also anytime you miss a clutch free-throw (in my opinion down or up by six or less under four minutes left) that is huge as well and worth more than one miss.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Can't argue with such a solid opinion based on feelings.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Machina wrote:Free-throws were pretty awful yesterday.
Don't give me the 6-8 at the end or 71% (which is not good enough to win in the NCAA or against elite teams).
Since those facts aren't good enough, how's bout this: After missing their first five free throws (All but one by Zeus' inexplicable charity stripe brain fart), the Wildcats made their next 14 in a row. FOURTEEN! Bad free throw shooting teams don't tend to string 'em together like that.
Missing the front end of one and one is just as bad as missing two.
Wrong again. There is value in drawing a personal foul, even if no points are scored, that is an improvement over simply missing a shot.
Also anytime you miss a clutch free-throw (in my opinion down or up by six or less under four minutes left) that is huge as well and worth more than one miss.
Besides the front end of a 1-and-1, no free throw has any more value than any other, regardless of when it is taken. There's no such thing as clutch. But hey, who am I to argue with your feelings?!
Formerly McLurvin
gumby

Post by gumby »

pokinmik wrote:Gotta make those 1and1's though. That is an extra few missed free throws in my book. But yea I'm not complaining tonight.
Or counted as turnovers. Missed two front ends.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Who would? Did not like the ones from other players over the years either.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Machina wrote:Free-throws were pretty awful yesterday. Don't give me the 6-8 at the end or 71% (which is not good enough to win in the NCAA or against elite teams). Missing the front end of one and one is just as bad as missing two. Also anytime you miss a clutch free-throw (in my opinion down or up by six or less under four minutes left) that is huge as well and worth more than one miss.
Every team misses free throws during all portions of the game. Simon, Dickerson, Walton, Gardner, Frye, Jefferson. You name them, they've missed them in crunch time. You just remember the Arizona misses.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

You completely misinterpreted. The SEC has the #1 RANKED team in both sports. He was not trying to argue that the SEC is the best conference in basketball. I know ESPN is incompetent, but please they aren't THAT bad.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yes no one would make the claim that the SEC is a good basketball conference. I mean, they are probably the worst out of the power conferences, although the PAC isn't that far behind.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Free throws were the difference tonight. Clutch.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

gumby wrote:Free throws were the difference tonight. Clutch.
I'd imagine the sdsu fans are bemoaning their performance from the line, and rightfully so. cost them the game.

Very nice to be on the winning end of the free throw battle.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UCLA and SDSU going through what we did last year. Now I know how other teams must have felt when we went to the line.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

20-24 is damn solid. Won the game at the line. ,
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Stanley Johnson = 21-26 in Maui
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

97cats wrote:Stanley Johnson = 21-26 in Maui
people only remember the 5. That's just how it works.

Most people would insist FT shooting is way worse today than back in the olden days, too. They also had to go up hill both ways to go to school and think all kids get participation trophies and are coddled in win-de-emphasized youth sports (this couldn't be farther from the truth, as anyone with kids playing competitive sport knows).

It's just the typical "bah" of so many fans.

Stanley was clutch. And will only get more so. Which is pretty awesome to think about...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

FT shooting is better across the landscape than it ever has been...just don't ask Don MacLean
gumby

Post by gumby »

Arizona has made almost as many as its opponents have attempted. So while the percentage needs work, we still need to stay aggressive.

BTW, the natty team shot 65 percent from the line. Perimeter studs did not shine in this regard:

Bibby, 70
Dickerson, 71
Terry, 71
Simon, 75

How many people here remember it this way?

However, all points in OT against UK ... free throws. Just never know, so keep the declarations of What Must Be Done!!! to a minimum.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:Arizona has made almost as many as its opponents have attempted. So while the percentage needs work, we still need to stay aggressive.

BTW, the natty team shot 65 percent from the line. Perimeter studs did not shine in this regard:

Bibby, 70
Dickerson, 71
Terry, 71
Simon, 75

How many people here remember it this way?

However, all points in OT against UK ... free throws. Just never know, so keep the declarations of What Must Be Done!!! to a minimum.
And I wanna say that Donnell Harris hit a few from the charity stripe in OT. Memories are a drunken haze, but I think that was the case.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yep. He sure did.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Off glass, in fact. More than one.

Stanley Johnson was absolutely a winner at the line in the final minutes against SDSU. He is our clutch dude this year and defenses and refs are going to have to bend over backward to try and foul him out before he can carry the team to the buzzer.

Just wish York and TJ were as automatic, because they're going to be the first ones to be fouled to stop the clock.
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Olsondogg wrote:Yes no one would make the claim that the SEC is a good basketball conference. I mean, they are probably the worst out of the power conferences, although the PAC isn't that far behind.
Pac 12 teams gotta start breaking some ankles or something like that of their star players to stop them from going pro too early; like Ashley w/his ligament injury last year. Maybe then we'd collectively be good again. Damn draft keeps depleting us (well at least the other 11 teams).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Funny how the memory works. Harris missed 4 of 6 FTs. Davison, Terry and Simon were 8-8. But Harris got huge boards, and was clearly the freshest player out there. Kentucky was just gassed.

Love the shots of Lute being cool as can be. So smart to play Terry instead of Dickerson down the stretch.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not from UTEP but he was pretty upset last night about FTs
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That % will get you beat somewhere
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Gotta drive Miller crazy. At least three guys who shoot them worse than last year.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

No excuse for TJ. Tarc may be reverting to the mean, but if the shimmy won't save Rondae, what will?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ashley has regressed, too.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Completely a mental issue. If the first couple guys get up there and clang a few, I believe it's starts creeping into everyone's mind. Frustrating to no end. I hate missed free throws
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

None of the guys seem to mentally prepare up there. They have to get a little routine and get their heads on straight.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.