Starting Five

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catstatic

Starting Five

Post by Catstatic »

I think our fast start last night on the road was the result of starting our five best guys. They can compete with any starting 5 in the country, including Kentucky and Duke. Bring in York, Pitts, Ristic and PJC a couple of times in the first half, and a couple times in the second. If Miller uses the 4 off the bench enough, our stars should be able to start as well as being rested without too much foul trouble for the last 8 minutes of the game, to put the foot on the neck of almost any team the Cats will face.

Having Ashley, Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson at the 2-4 spots is almost unfair. When TJ is as aggressive as he was last night, fast starts will become the norm and not the exception. Oh, and Johnson is our best drive and dish option. Guys have to help, and he is becoming a better passer by the game. Zeus is a fan.

Go Cats!!
Chicat

Re: Starting Five

Post by Chicat »

I really liked the starting 5, and that's the group I want to see on the floor most often together.

However, I think the past two games have shown us why York was starting and Rondae coming off the bench. York just has not seemed as in tune with the flow of the game on either end of the court coming off the bench. Could being on the court at the opening tip really make that much of a difference?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

Chicat wrote:I really liked the starting 5, and that's the group I want to see on the floor most often together.

However, I think the past two games have shown us why York was starting and Rondae coming off the bench. York just has not seemed as in tune with the flow of the game on either end of the court coming off the bench. Could being on the court at the opening tip really make that much of a difference?
Think you're right. Even so, the starting five is just too dominating to not have them on the floor at the beginning and, if necessary, at the end of games. York will have to adjust or he will move from 6th to 9th.

Go Cats!!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catstatic wrote:
Chicat wrote:I really liked the starting 5, and that's the group I want to see on the floor most often together.

Think you're right. Even so, the starting five is just too dominating to not have them on the floor at the beginning and, if necessary, at the end of games. York will have to adjust or he will move from 6th to 9th.

Go Cats!!
My thoughts exactly. If York needs to see a hypnotist or something to make him think he's been in the game since the ref threw up the jump ball, then do it. The team is just so much better (and MORE MASSIVE) with TJ, SJ, RHJ, Bash, Zeus on the floor from the get go.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RHJ shut down Young from the tip and he never got in a rhythm all night. We learned from the UNLV game that match-ups matter in CBB. For the most part, York/Pitts should only play when their defense isn't a big liability.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Does it really matter how we reach 25-23?
Right where I want to be.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

gumby wrote:Does it really matter how we reach 25-23?
Sure, if we get out to a big lead and the opponent is fighting uphill the rest of the game. It got to a two point game, and then the Cats extended it. Tough to play from behind all game.

Go Cats!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Catstatic wrote:I think our fast start last night on the road was the result of starting our five best guys. They can compete with any starting 5 in the country, including Kentucky and Duke. Bring in York, Pitts, Ristic and PJC a couple of times in the first half, and a couple times in the second. If Miller uses the 4 off the bench enough, our stars should be able to start as well as being rested without too much foul trouble for the last 8 minutes of the game, to put the foot on the neck of almost any team the Cats will face.

Having Ashley, Johnson and Hollis-Jefferson at the 2-4 spots is almost unfair. When TJ is as aggressive as he was last night, fast starts will become the norm and not the exception. Oh, and Johnson is our best drive and dish option. Guys have to help, and he is becoming a better passer by the game. Zeus is a fan.

Go Cats!!
Yes. Rondae should start. He is too good on defense, and is a very tough match up. High energy means better game flow right out of the gate.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Catstatic wrote: Oh, and Johnson is our best drive and dish option. Guys have to help, and he is becoming a better passer by the game. Zeus is a fan.

Another aspect of this is free throws. Paraphrasing Miller: "Our free throw shooting to this point in the year is not representative of our team shooting ability"
Arizona is one of the nation’s best teams at getting to the line, ranking fifth nationally with 408 free throw attempts; Stanley Johnson ranks third among freshmen nationally with 95 free throw attempts.
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/ViewArti ... =209842598

Lately Stanley has been free throw machine and the team has been killing it from the line, being over 80% in our last 2 games. It seems the question of "go to guy" is solved. Just throw it to SJ on the wing enough and soon the team is in the double bonus.

-------

Oregon didnt have the size or defensive philosopy to just pack it in and make us score from the perimeter. In just over a week we will have that test vs Utah.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

:idea:
bring Rondae off the bench again as super-dee-duper 6th man, it's his decision plus the other team loves getting that guaranteed early lead

thank you, csm for starting the clear 5 best players finally.

Still have no idea though why we must sub them all out at the same time after the 1st timeout so Oregon can erase the lead. Is this Arizona - A Hockey Players Program? Are we keeping the starters fresh for the 3rd period? Image