Must Sweep This Week

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Must Sweep This Week

Post by Longhorned »

Gumby says so. But I wanted to start a thread about it. Let's get this discussion going, so please address the substance of this: I think they can do it if they play hard, and if they lose more games than Utah, they'll fall behind in the conference standings.

A month ago, who would have even thought this would be a discussion?
Machina

Re: Must Sweep This Week

Post by Machina »

1 and 1 this road trip does not put Utah in a far ahead position, unlike losing to Utah at home would have on Saturday. Disagree about this being a must sweep, but a sweep goes a really long way to getting the PAC-12 crown.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I definitely think that if they don't sweep this weekend, they will put themselves in a position where they will really have to win more games than they lose in order to be successful. Hopefully they can find a way to score more points than the other team twice in a row. I believe that's the real key to victory.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

if AZ wins both games on this trip next weekend will be MAJOR important -- like MAJOR MAJOR
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Present conference standings (Lute Olson scoring format):

+2 Stanford
+1 Arizona, Utah, UCLA, OSU & WSU
0 Colorado
-1 UW, Oregon, ASU
-2 Cal, USC

A sweep this weekend puts UA at +3 and knocks Stanford down to +1.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Guard Randle.

Contain Randle to a certain extent, I mean.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

I agree on MUST sweep.....if for no other reason than still keeping a #1 seed hope alive. As for the conference race, that turd loss @ Oregon State really hurt us and I don't see Utah doing something similar up there.
I realize it's still very early but I think the conference race will be between us and Utah and if it comes down to who will win in our rematch @ Utah, then I don't like our chances. That is the only additional loss in the P12 we might have that won't want to make me slit my wrists, lol.
C'mon Cats and let's 'buy all in', 'honor the process' and take this Player's Progam to a consecutive P12 Championship! Bear Down Brothers.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I don't really think anything is a must win at all. That's just me. This ain't the tourney, this ain't march.

With that said, if the Cats plan on winning the conference the two bay area games are important games.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

must wins and must sweeps < mustard shots
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My wife told me in no uncertain terms that I must sweep this week

We're talking sweeping the carport and back patio
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Couldn't you have just made the thread title, 'I like Trains'?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:must wins and must sweeps < mustard shots
And don't you forget it Mister!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wife was vacuuming and blew out the rubber band thingy.

Now on my honey do list is to fix it. So she can get back to sweeping.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote: This ain't the tourney, this ain't march.
This ain't no fooling around.
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey
We ain't got time for that now,
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I can only assume, Gumby that you heard about Houston? Heard about Detroit? Heard about Pittsburgh, P. A.?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

The worst thing that is going to happen is we dont get the 1 seed in the West but that would probably mean Gonzaga gets it and we are the 2 or 3 in the West and when you think about it that isn't a bad thing, I would be happy to be in the West with the Zags at the 1 if we dont get it, yes please.
Machina

Post by Machina »

ButtonSalmon wrote:The worst thing that is going to happen is we dont get the 1 seed in the West but that would probably mean Gonzaga gets it and we are the 2 or 3 in the West and when you think about it that isn't a bad thing, I would be happy to be in the West with the Zags at the 1 if we dont get it, yes please.
There are bracketologists that are out there now saying the Cats in the South
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Yea, that would not be good, we do not want to be anywhere but the West but I think barring a major collapse we will stay in the West, if not the 1 then 2 or 3 with Zags as the 1, which is ok by me. I cant imagine any situation where we end up anywhere but the West unless we completely collapse down the stretch. We seem to be improving though so that is a good sign going forward.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Utah does not have to make the Bay trip this year so these next two games are pretty important for us, all joking aside. Our remaining schedule is brutal compared to theirs. We have Standford and Cal twice, @UW @ Utah, this Bay trip is a big one, cannot afford any loses but probably not must win this early.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:
ButtonSalmon wrote:The worst thing that is going to happen is we dont get the 1 seed in the West but that would probably mean Gonzaga gets it and we are the 2 or 3 in the West and when you think about it that isn't a bad thing, I would be happy to be in the West with the Zags at the 1 if we dont get it, yes please.
Link?

There were bracketologists who had us in the South BEFORE the Utah game. And they had Utah in the West as the P-12 champion.

I would be very surprised if many are projecting that now. Win the P-12 and we will stay out West.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ButtonSalmon wrote:Utah does not have to make the Bay trip this year so these next two games are pretty important for us, all joking aside. Our remaining schedule is brutal compared to theirs. We have Standford and Cal twice, @UW @ Utah, this Bay trip is a big one, cannot afford any loses but probably not must win this early.
Great post... I did not realize the nuances of Utah's schedule.

But I still think the Stanford game is less important than any other. Losing this game hurts us less than any other one left on our schedule.

I am surprised at the number of posters who seem to believe Utah is going to win 15-17 conference games just days after we ran them off of our court. They are far from invincible... I don't seem them losing only 1-2 more games.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Machina wrote:
Link?

There were bracketologists who had us in the South BEFORE the Utah game. And they had Utah in the West as the P-12 champion.

I would be very surprised if many are projecting that now. Win the P-12 and we will stay out West.
This is what the regulator is talking about: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Of course, these things are always in a state of flux (e.g. "1-seed" Villanova blown out by Georgetown) so I never take much stock in them.
Formerly McLurvin
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:I can only assume, Gumby that you heard about Houston? Heard about Detroit? Heard about Pittsburgh, P. A.?
You make me shiver, I feel so tender.
We make a pretty good team.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

BTW, reading brackets now is a complete waste of life.
ButtonSalmon

Post by ButtonSalmon »

Harvey Specter wrote:
ButtonSalmon wrote:Utah does not have to make the Bay trip this year so these next two games are pretty important for us, all joking aside. Our remaining schedule is brutal compared to theirs. We have Standford and Cal twice, @UW @ Utah, this Bay trip is a big one, cannot afford any loses but probably not must win this early.
Great post... I did not realize the nuances of Utah's schedule.

But I still think the Stanford game is less important than any other. Losing this game hurts us less than any other one left on our schedule.

I am surprised at the number of posters who seem to believe Utah is going to win 15-17 conference games just days after we ran them off of our court. They are far from invincible... I don't seem them losing only 1-2 more games.
Yea, of course we all know any roadie in the pac is a tough game, the games Utah has left are much, much easier than what we have left. I would probably say this trip to the Bay for us is the biggest of the year, since Utah doesnt make the Bay trip there wont be many more games they should be expected to lose. On the other hand, there are several troublesome games left for us to play. Needless to say if we win the pac we will have to earn it on the road from here on out while Utah will pretty much have the comfort of their home for any tough remaining games. This is one thing I hate about the new scheduling, it can clearly favor one team over another in any given year and Utah has the much easier schedule this year. I still expect they will drop a couple against teams they should not, like us at OSU.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I can only assume, Gumby that you heard about Houston? Heard about Detroit? Heard about Pittsburgh, P. A.?
Having to listen to the talking heads on ESPN is bad enough, but now the message boards? Is there no sanctuary?

Have you no sense of decency, sir?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Harvey Specter wrote:
gumby wrote:
Having to listen to the talking heads on ESPN is bad enough, but now the message boards? Is there no sanctuary?

Have you no sense of decency, sir?
We've received information ... notes over the transom ... that you have been consorting with the enemy. Are you now, or have you ever been a Sun Devil ... a fellow traveler?