let's talk '15

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

Re: let's talk '15

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Ivan Rabb too is an All American - which is no shock. That's the way to read it. ;)

Has no correlation otherwise - at all.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

correct, BDV

Zimmerman = zero chance
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Thank God we're not about to lose Rabb to UCLA. That would be a tough pill.

Still waiting for you to hit us with the "AZ's right where they want to be with Rabb" post, 97 :) Thanks for the clarification.

Bear Down and Beat the Ducks!
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

At least Zimmerman, at UCLA, will mean it'll be easy to score tickets so his friends can watch him. Seriously, that is a huge advantage UCLA has over us.....we are always sold out and impossible to get tickets......UCLA, not so much ;-).

Additionally, assuming he sticks around for a few years he will most likely get to play for two different UCLA Head Coaches :-).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ZimmerMom is on record as not being impressed at all with the support UCLA fans show their team as far as attending games.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bangkok Wildcat

Chicat wrote:ZimmerMom is on record as not being impressed at all with the support UCLA fans show their team as far as attending games.
Well, at least once every two years there will be a busy Pauley when the UA rolls into town :D
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:ZimmerMom is on record as not being impressed at all with the support UCLA fans show their team as far as attending games.
Why any top level recruit would pick UCLA is really, really strange, unless we're talking about a guy who plans to earn a degree. Most elite recruits do not plan to do so.

Crap coach, crap hoops facilities, crap fan support. Why go there when you could go to UK, Kansas, or Arizona? Makes no sense.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Why any top level recruit would pick UCLA is really, really strange, unless we're talking about a guy who plans to earn a degree. Most elite recruits do not plan to do so.

Crap coach, crap hoops facilities, crap fan support. Why go there when you could go to UK, Kansas, or Arizona? Makes no sense.
Since UCLA and Kansas are the final two, I'm guessing it's an Adidas over Nike thing for Zimmerman and why Kentucky and Arizona aren't pushing harder for him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote:

And no tourney :lol:
Bangkok Wildcat

84Cat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

And no tourney :lol:
Excellent point 84Cat, they aren't going to the tourney for at least the next 2 years.....not sure if they fully realize how they 'upgraded' from 3 Final Fours to missing the tourney multiple years...good choice Dan Guerrero :-)
NETSFAN4HASSAN

Post by NETSFAN4HASSAN »

Greg Hicks said it best; and I'm paraphrasing, "you have to wonder about any elite kid that wants to come play for UCLA this late in the game. Winning must not be a priority."
az91

Post by az91 »

I think Zimmerman will end up choosing Kansas over UCLA.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Agree. Ku will get him and us rabb
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bangkok Wildcat

az91 wrote:I think Zimmerman will end up choosing Kansas over UCLA.
Would make sense for Zimmerman but even with my UCLA bashing, would prefer to keep him in the Pac and definitely away from those KU dbags.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Wish i officially knew why an amaeutur NCAA basketball recruit/player cares if his choice of school is Addidas or Nike?
Bangkok Wildcat

CBCat wrote:Wish i officially knew why an amaeutur NCAA basketball recruit/player cares if his choice of school is Addidas or Nike?
Me too......so said amateur expects a better endorsement from said shoe company when they turn pro? Or something shadier than this?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
CBCat wrote:Wish i officially knew why an amaeutur NCAA basketball recruit/player cares if his choice of school is Addidas or Nike?
Me too......so said amateur expects a better endorsement from said shoe company when they turn pro? Or something shadier than this?
It can be as simple as future endorsement potential or showing loyalty to a brand that they've been involved with on traveling teams and on the AAU circuit. If a shoe brand has provided equipment, coaching, facilities, travel, and opportunities to showcase your talent continuously from a young age, and they've developed a relationships with you and your family for years, it's probably hard to turn around and say thanks for everything but I'm switching to your rival by attending such-and-such school.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
It can be as simple as future endorsement potential or showing loyalty to a brand that they've been involved with on traveling teams and on the AAU circuit. If a shoe brand has provided equipment, coaching, facilities, travel, and opportunities to showcase your talent continuously from a young age, and they've developed a relationships with you and your family for years, it's probably hard to turn around and say thanks for everything but I'm switching to your rival by attending such-and-such school.
You're right, Chi. And it's crazy that a guy's choice of shoe company now supersedes his choice of college. Can't believe it's gotten to that. To future NBA players, college hoops really is nothing more than a secondary promotional vehicle.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
You're right, Chi. And it's crazy that a guy's choice of shoe company now supersedes his choice of college. Can't believe it's gotten to that. To future NBA players, college hoops really is nothing more than a secondary promotional vehicle.
Not everyone chooses a school based on the same factors, athlete or non-athlete. Heck, I chose UA largely because of the weather. I'd say that's leaps and bounds more crazy than choosing a school based on loyalty to people who supported your dreams throughout your life and are continually working to put you in a position to make a really nice living after school is over.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Not everyone chooses a school based on the same factors, athlete or non-athlete. Heck, I chose UA largely because of the weather. I'd say that's leaps and bounds more crazy than choosing a school based on loyalty to people who supported your dreams throughout your life and are continually working to put you in a position to make a really nice living after school is over.
I didn't mean crazy in the sense that the guys/families making these decisions are crazy. I meant it's crazy how inconsequential a guy's college choice has become, in the bigger scheme of things.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

With the way the season is playing out, do we have a spot for rabb? Ashley and Zeus both look like second round picks at best and we have Anderson and ristic both back.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This has been bandied about a few times. My position is, if you want Rabb here, Zeus and Ashley need to both play well enough through the next two months to get at least a first-round assurance.

Just no room for the man otherwise.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

catgrad97 wrote:This has been bandied about a few times. My position is, if you want Rabb here, Zeus and Ashley need to both play well enough through the next two months to get at least a first-round assurance.

Bash and Zeus have to leave this year. Their stock won't rise further next year, barring a crazy leap, but especially for Zeus, their ceiling looks to be near.
Leaving Jr. year gives teams a little more hope that their development curve still has upside.
Like Nick Johnson, this is the best chance, especially if we make a deep run in the NCAA
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

catgrad97 wrote:This has been bandied about a few times. My position is, if you want Rabb here, Zeus and Ashley need to both play well enough through the next two months to get at least a first-round assurance.

I think Ashley and Rondae are gone but Zeus is questionable at this point. Plenty of playing time for Rabb as long as Ashley goes

Anderson/Rabb/Smith
Zeus/Ristic/Comanche

Loaded at the guard position too

PJC/Kadeem/Trier/York/Simon

The question is, who would redshirt? Comanche?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Bosy Billups wrote:

Bash and Zeus have to leave this year. Their stock won't rise further next year, barring a crazy leap, but especially for Zeus, their ceiling looks to be near.
Leaving Jr. year gives teams a little more hope that their development curve still has upside.
Like Nick Johnson, this is the best chance, especially if we make a deep run in the NCAA
BAsh was really exposed yesterday on defense. Not a single player he could guard out there. UO had a nice run when RHJ took a blow.

Zeus had a very nice 5 minute stretch where he really took control of the paint on offense and defense. He just needs to show he can do that for 25 minutes.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Jefe wrote:I think Ashley and Rondae are gone but Zeus is questionable at this point. Plenty of playing time for Rabb as long as Ashley goes

Anderson/Rabb/Smith
Zeus/Ristic/Comanche

Don't forget Pitts.

No doubt Comanche would redshirt next season to bulk up, if for no other reason.

But no one-and-done big man is coming even to Arizona to come off the bench. Even Rondae, bless his sixth-man heart, had too much development to do to ever be a serious one-and-done candidate.

Why would Ivan Rabb come to Arizona if not to start and challenge for the championship? If he was fine with coming off the bench his only year of college, he could just go to Kentucky.

Besides, I would go so far as to say right now that, given their shown abilities, Rabb would start over a senior Zeus. It would be pretty insulting for a talent like Rabb to have to watch, from the bench, Kaleb get stuffed by slappy defensive hands, his own lack of wingspan or the rim itself--much less Ashley getting blown by.

Kaleb's not that far removed from those games yet. But Miller loves seniors. So it is Zeus and Ashley IMHO who need to make room for Rabb.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

catgrad97 wrote:
Jefe wrote:I think Ashley and Rondae are gone but Zeus is questionable at this point. Plenty of playing time for Rabb as long as Ashley goes

Anderson/Rabb/Smith
Zeus/Ristic/Comanche

Don't forget Pitts.

No doubt Comanche would redshirt next season to bulk up, if for no other reason.

But no one-and-done big man is coming even to Arizona to come off the bench. Even Rondae, bless his sixth-man heart, had too much development to do to ever be a serious one-and-done candidate.

Why would Ivan Rabb come to Arizona if not to start and challenge for the championship? If he was fine with coming off the bench his only year of college, he could just go to Kentucky.

Besides, I would go so far as to say right now that, given their shown abilities, Rabb would start over a senior Zeus. It would be pretty insulting for a talent like Rabb to have to watch, from the bench, Kaleb get stuffed by slappy defensive hands, his own lack of wingspan or the rim itself--much less Ashley getting blown by.

Kaleb's not that far removed from those games yet. But Miller loves seniors. So it is Zeus and Ashley IMHO who need to make room for Rabb.
Rondae was easily a one and done candidate and would have either gone lottery or in the top twenty last year if he wanted to. The only reason he came back was because he said he wanted to be a top 10 pick.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Airizona wrote:Rondae was easily a one and done candidate and would have either gone lottery or in the top twenty last year if he wanted to.
Sorry, but I can't help but laugh at this notion that all draft picks have to do in order to be a Top 20 pick is "want to."

Refresh my memory, but I don't remember Rondae being Top 20 on draft boards last season. Draft Express, which has him seventh this season, only had him 28 last year.

Yes, his life's goal is to be a Top 10 pick, but he didn't even project Top 20 by the end of his freshman year. His shot was just too junk to be ready.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

catgrad97 wrote:
Airizona wrote:Rondae was easily a one and done candidate and would have either gone lottery or in the top twenty last year if he wanted to.
Sorry, but I can't help but laugh at this notion that all draft picks have to do in order to be a Top 20 pick is "want to."

Refresh my memory, but I don't remember Rondae being Top 20 on draft boards last season. Draft Express, which has him seventh this season, only had him 28 last year.

Yes, his life's goal is to be a Top 10 pick, but he didn't even project Top 20 by the end of his freshman year. His shot was just too junk to be ready.
He was projected in the top 20 or lottery in a lot of the draft boards after his solid tourny performance if I remember correctly. I mean Zach Lavine got picked up at no. 13. So yes if he wanted to declare for the draft last year he would have been a top 20 pick.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Bosy Billups wrote:

Have to leave???? I think not.

If "having to leave" means playing club ball in Paraguay then I'm sure they could find it in themselves to stick it out another year. I think that either one of them has to at least believe they can get drafted (2nd round) before they would consider going.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Most encouraging thing I've heard from Rabb in some time:

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/w ... 9228b.html

Goazcats has posted free video of Ivan Rabb, where he discusses UA (around the 2:00 mark) and says he's no longer bothered by people suggesting he'll follow the Oakland Soldiers pipeline to Arizona.

"That might be the right decision," Rabb said, adding that he may decide in April.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Thx dmj, that's definitely encouraging (not that I was worried). I could totally see how it would be annoying for everyone to assume they know what you're going to do, but when it comes down to it AZ really is a great match.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote:Most encouraging thing I've heard from Rabb in some time:

Goazcats has posted free video of Ivan Rabb, where he discusses UA (around the 2:00 mark) and says he's no longer bothered by people suggesting he'll follow the Oakland Soldiers pipeline to Arizona.

"That might be the right decision," Rabb said, adding that he may decide in April.

I'm liking this ;)
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

HiCat wrote:

I'm liking this ;)
I tried watching this video and its not free! WTF!
az91

Post by az91 »

Hate to say it, but we might be better with Comanche and Rabb in the lineup than BAsh and Tarc.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

az91 wrote:Hate to say it, but we might be better with Comanche and Rabb in the lineup than BAsh and Tarc.
You mean Ryan Anderson and Rabb?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

3goggles wrote:
HiCat wrote:

I'm liking this ;)
Do you expect anything less from Goazcats?

Cal leads?

CBCat

Post by CBCat »

3goggles wrote:
HiCat wrote:

I'm liking this ;)
Ya, me as well.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Still waiting for 97 to chime in. Until that happens, this is all hearsay.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

have i not chimed in?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:have i not chimed in?
And nothing has changed since your last chime?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Jesus Beachcat, calm down. This is why we can't have nice things.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

He's taking a visit to Cal with 2 other prized recruits?

Miller may as well pull the offer, because we obviously have zero chance.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:
He's taking a visit to Cal with 2 other prized recruits?

Miller may as well pull the offer, because we obviously have zero chance.
That's not what 97's been saying.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Your sarcasm meter is broken BeachCat.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:Your sarcasm meter is broke BeachCat.
It was actually never installed.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
What is this meter? And where do they sell them? I'd like to see about doing the installation this weekend.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
What is this meter? And where do they sell them? I'd like to see about doing the installation this weekend.
Can you pick me up a penis mightier while you're there?