Team USA U18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ElGatoBlanco

Re: Team USA U18

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

EOCT wrote:
Stanley. Did he get in a little trouble after the first two plays----a breakaway dunk and rim hang, then a steal and ?. Pulled at 2/3 min of the 1stquarter, sat the rest. Didn't start the second Q nor get much play. An electric one hand catch of a high rim bounce for a dunk. Activity level below most of the team.
He was much better in the 2nd half, although he only played like 7 minutes lol. The move he made and shot he took to beat the buzzer at the end of the 3rd quarter was fantastic.

On a side note Trier sure took a nasty spill, but after awhile on the ground he got back up. I hope he's ok.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
EOCT wrote:
Stanley. Did he get in a little trouble after the first two plays----a breakaway dunk and rim hang, then a steal and ?. Pulled at 2/3 min of the 1stquarter, sat the rest. Didn't start the second Q nor get much play. An electric one hand catch of a high rim bounce for a dunk. Activity level below most of the team.
He was much better in the 2nd half, although he only played like 7 minutes lol. The move he made and shot he took to beat the buzzer at the end of the 3rd quarter was fantastic.

On a side note Trier sure took a nasty spill, but after awhile on the ground he got back up. I hope he's ok.
Only saw a few minutes the second half while wolfing down dinner.

Luke Kennard---oh my. 30 pts? Lights out guy, moves really well without the ball and the guys found him.

After their 14 class, Duke now starting with Kennard for 15. Whuh!
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

EOCT wrote:
ElGatoBlanco wrote:
EOCT wrote:

Only saw a few minutes the second half while wolfing down dinner.

Luke Kennard---oh my. 30 pts? Lights out guy, moves really well without the ball and the guys found him.

After their 14 class, Duke now starting with Kennard for 15. Whuh!
I already hate everything about J.J. Redick V2.0, especially his Kyle Singler haircut.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

:lol: :lol: Not much Kenard in the first half today. When in, he actually passed the ball a couple of times.

US another big lead at half.

Stanley a lot of PT, switching mainly with Winslow. Had 7/8 points, missed three long Js and half his freethrows. A little more active and played some D. He's got big forward moves--a big lunging cat; and average laterally, but it would be great if there was more overall movement. He's gonna be very, very difficult to guard.
Winslow continues to impress. A fkn thoroughbred.

Love Lonzo's game. Very active, quick, sees what's going on everywhere. Really hope we get him.
loomer

Post by loomer »

Really like Trier. Need to fix that hitch though...
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Yeah, Trier is really nice. Hope we get him!

Here's a recap of yesterday's game:
http://www.usab.com/mens/u18/14_mu18_game_02.html

Stanley leading scorer. Looking much better and getting the PT.

Winslow again my POG with 7/10 field goals, 7 boards, 4 assists, 4 steals and 2 blocks.

Today's game with Argentina at 4:30 PD & MD tie I believe. US/Portugal soccer and US U18 a nice multitask along with a few cold ones!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Recap of Sunday's victory over Argentina: 118-64

http://www.usab.com/mens/u18/14_mu18_game_03.html
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Daryl Zero wrote:Recap of Sunday's victory over Argentina: 118-64

http://www.usab.com/mens/u18/14_mu18_game_03.html
From KVOA interview ( http://www.kvoa.com/news/stanley-johnso ... o-springs/ )with Johnson before(?) last night's game:

"It also helps that Team USA brings in the top coaches in the country to guide these young stars. This year, that includes Sean Miller and according to Johnson, coach Miller has no problem getting after him to improve his game.

Said Johnson, "when you're a player like me with everyone around you telling you 'good, good, good' you need somebody to tell you 'bad, bad, bad' sometimes. So I'm happy he's here. Coach Donovan, he has no problem getting on me either so I have my fair share of that here."

Interesting. Stanley only got 9 minutes yesterday and wasn't visible on the bench late in the 2nd half. He started the game firing away and then....

Gato, 97, you hear'n anything bout this? From my perspective it did look like the big guy could have used a little tude-up even in game 1.
85Cat

Post by 85Cat »

90-56 USA Final
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Johnson and Tyus Jones led the USA team tonight against a chippy Dom Rep team.

Stanley was 6/12, 3/4 at the line, 7 boards and 2 steals. The Big Guy was an entirely new player tonight. Constant motion, especially on D for the first time. Stuck to his defensive assignments like glue. Got back beautifully, regularly out-running his assignment. Moved well without the ball and passed accurately. Communicated with teammates and appeared to be actively leading. Positive, congratulating teammates, sat next to Coach Miller much of his time out rather than his often end-of-the bench spot.

Stanley Johnson, meet Coach Miller.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

EOCT wrote:
Gato, 97, you hear'n anything bout this? From my perspective it did look like the big guy could have used a little tude-up even in game 1.
I actually missed that game, but it's not as if the team really needed him to win that game. They could've been sending a message or just resting him. Attitude and motivation definitely aren't issues for Stanley, so I wouldn't be too concerned either way.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
EOCT wrote:
I actually missed that game, but it's not as if the team really needed him to win that game. They could've been sending a message or just resting him. Attitude and motivation definitely aren't issues for Stanley, so I wouldn't be too concerned either way.
As they are playing every single day, they have lots of talent, and Stanley was part of a scoring breakout, I'm guessing it was more for rest.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

One game left for the USA :

http://fibaamericas.com/en/noticiasread ... 5B638A23ED

USA Men’s U18 National Team Dispatches Dominican Republic 90-56, Advances To Eighth Gold Medal Game In Nine FIBA Americas U18s

After downing the Dominican Republic (2-2) 90-56 in the 2014 FIBA Americas U18 Championship medal semifinal, the 2014 USA Basketball Men’s U18 National Team (4-0) advanced to its eighth gold medal game in nine U18s on Monday night at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

The U.S. squad again produced a well-rounded scoring effort. USA Basketball veterans Stanley Johnson (Mater Dei H.S./Fullerton, Calif.) and Tyus Jones (Apple Valley H.S./Apple Valley, Minn.) combined for 29 points, eight assists and five steals to lead the way as five players scored in double digits and two more scored no less than eight points apiece.

In the gold medal game, which will tip-off on June 24 at 5:30 p.m. (MDT), the U.S. will face also undefeated Canada (4-0), which defeated Argentina (2-2) 91-82 in overtime in the first semifinal game of the day. Argentina will square off against Dominican Republic for the bronze medal at 3:15 p.m. (MDT). All games are being streamed live online by FIBA Americas and can be viewed via http://www.fibaamericas.com or http://www.YouTube/fibaamericas.

The USA, which has medaled in each of the previous eight FIBA Americas U18 Championships, is assured of its ninth medal at the event after winning gold in 1990, 1994, 1998, 2006, 2010 and 2012, while capturing silver in 2008 and bronze in 2002.

“I actually thought our guys did a good job and went in with a 22-point lead at the half,” said USA U18 National Team and University of Florida head coach Billy Donovan, whose USA Basketball head coaching record now stands at 18-0. “I thought what hurt us was that we went 5-for-12 from the free-throw line in the third quarter. I thought our press was good. We went through a long stretch in the second half where we really held them down and they didn’t score, but the problem was we kept getting fouled and missing free throws. I think the guys did a nice job and I’m excited for them to get to play in the gold medal game.

“I think Canada is a good, solid, quality team,” stated Donovan on the USA’s final opponent. “They are undefeated as we are going into this gold medal game. They have a lot of really good players, they seem like a very well connected group, they’re well coached and they play well together. We’ll have to play very, very well to put ourselves in position to win.”

Myles Turner (Trinity H.S./Bedford, Texas), who entered the game with 12 blocked shots over the first three contests, notched his 14th block at the first quarter buzzer to surpass the previous USA U18 competition record of 13, set back in 1994.

“I think that’s one of my biggest roles in this team, to play defense,” said Turner upon learning of the record. “I accept that role, and I take a lot of pride in that role. Going forward, if that’s what it takes to win, that’s what I’m going to do. I’m very excited about setting the record and see all the hard work paying off.”

Johnson led all scorers with 15 points, also swiped a team-high seven rebounds and had three steals; Jones scored 14 points and dished out seven assists; Allonzo Trier (Montrose Christian/Seattle, Wash.) scored 13 and picked off three steals; Luke Kennard (Franklin H.S./Franklin, Ohio) shot 3-of-6 from 3-point and closed with 11 points; Jalen Brunson (Adlai E. Stevenson H.S./Lincolnshire, Ill.) scored 10 points and shot 8-of-12 from the line; while Turner added nine points and Isaiah Briscoe (Roselle Catholic H.S./Union, N.J.) had eight.

The Dominican Republic struck first, but the USA answered with a 12-1 run, with eight points coming from Jones, to go up 12-3 at 6:07. However, the islanders fought back and by the end of the first quarter the USA held a 10-point lead, 24-14.

“They came out there and had a great mind-set going forward,” said Turner. “They tested us a little bit mentally because they were getting real physical, but we kept our composure and just played like USA Basketball.”

Opening the second quarter on an 18-5 run, aided by a perfect 10-of-10 from the line to go up 42-19, it looked as if the Americans were set to run away with another game. Weisner Perez, who finished with a team-high 11 points for Dominican Republic, then scored seven points in an 8-2 spurt to close to 44-27. However, Jones hit a pair from the line, got a running fast-break lay-up and assisted a buzzer-beating Trier 3-pointer as the USA outscored the Dominican Republic 7-2 to take a 51-29 lead at the half.

Despite the 22-point deficit, the Dominican Republic continued to run with the USA’s fast-paced offense and worked hard at breaking the full-court pressure defense. A pair of and-ones and a drive to the hoop early in the second half helped the Dominicans close to 56-37 early in the second half. The Dominicans were soon deflated, however, as the USA forced them into a pair of misses and three turnovers, while the USA’s offense scored eight straight points to expand the lead to 64-37 with 4:14 left in the third quarter. By the end of the period, which saw Kennard take a pass from Jones and hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer, the Americans were up 28, 69-41.

The U.S. continued to stretch its lead in the fourth quarter, which the Americans won 21-15, and advance to the gold medal game with the 37-point victory.
“You learn to sacrifice for something that is bigger than you as a basketball player,” said Trier, who is averaging 13.5 points, yet playing only 16 minutes a contest. “We have one goal at hand, and that is to win gold. Winning gold is bigger than all of us, so individually it’s us coming together and sacrificing what we need to in order to win gold.”

In addition to Perez, who had six rebounds, the Dominican Republic was led by Jeremy Rodriguez, who hit a double-double with 10 points and 10 boards.
The U.S., which scored eight points off of 11 Dominican turnovers in the first half, closed the night with 21 points off of 21 turnovers and was credited with 15 steals. On the flip side, the USA only gave up four points from its 13 turnovers.
While the USA edged the Dominicans on the glass, 52-48, it was outscored 15-4 on second-chance points. However, the USA outscored its opponent 50-38 in the paint, 25-6 on the fast break and held a 39-33 edge off the bench.

Tonight’s game marked the lowest the Americans held an opponent’s 3-point shooting as they defended Dominican Republic into a paltry 11.8 percent (2-17 3pt FGs) from afar and just 31.4 percent (22-70 FGs) overall, while the USA hit 49.2 percent (31-63 FGs) from the field and 26.7 percent (4-15 3pt FGs) from 3-point.

Not everything went well for the red, white and blue tonight. After hitting a perfect 16-of-16 from the line in the first half, the USA faltered from the charity stripe in the second half and finished the game with 66.7 percent (24-36 FTs) free throw shooting.

Canada is guaranteed its best finish at this event after claiming three bronze medals (2008, 2010, 2012); while Argentina has captured one gold medal (2008) and four silver medals at the U18s (1990, 1994, 1998, 2006) and the Dominican Republic has never finished higher than fifth place (1998, 2002).

In classification semifinals, Puerto Rico (2-2) edged Mexico (0-4) 70-69, while Brazil (1-3) downed Uruguay (1-3) 97-55.

USA Basketball
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uySLh8lPgE
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Anyone have a better stream? That one is unwatchable.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

19-0
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Watching recruits get accolades like that never gets old. Congratulations to Stanley!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Merkin wrote:
No, Moms, I'm not relaxing:

June 16 to Zagoria---"Arizona: “Coach [Sean] Miller’s here helping coach…It helps me see what kind of coach he is and how he can adapt from coaching his team and then switching over to coaching a bunch of different players, so it’s eye-opening.”

Oh.....Moms....I love you!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

have you ever heard the phrase, 'playing to the crowd'?

ya, thats her fo sho
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Ok so now that it is over can Ray Smith and Trier just go ahead and commit.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Was Stanley the MVP of the tournament?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

SCCat wrote:Was Stanley the MVP of the tournament?
yep
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

97cats wrote:have you ever heard the phrase, 'playing to the crowd'?

ya, thats her fo sho
Why exactly has Arizona never truly been in that recruitment? Just bothers me to no end that UNLV is such a player for him and we're not.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Does she meet criteria for "letting the talent play"

God I wish we could import that entire thread here. :)
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona has a track record of driving the level of interest in most cases -- rarely does Coach Miller get put in the back seat, if ya know what i mean?

more on this later tonight if you're around......
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

ElGatoBlanco wrote:
97cats wrote:have you ever heard the phrase, 'playing to the crowd'?

ya, thats her fo sho
Why exactly has Arizona never truly been in that recruitment? Just bothers me to no end that UNLV is such a player for him and we're not.
I can't speak for Miller, but I'm perfectly fine with Zimmerman not coming here.