let's talk '15

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: let's talk '15

Post by Alieberman »

At this point the only reason you wouldn't list Arizona in your top 4 is if Arizona doesn't want you.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Chicat wrote:Chase Jeter lists Arizona as one of the four schools recruiting him the hardest: http://zagsblog.com/articles/chase-jete ... g-hardest/
Arizona: “Arizona, I like the location, I like how close to home it is. Coach [Sean] Miller has done a great job with the program. I have a great relationship with Coach Book [Richardson] and also their facilities are top of the line and their strength and conditioning programs are out of this world.”
Duke unfortunately.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
The Goat wrote:
“Most schools like me at both guard spots. I can play point and I can play off the ball,” Trier said. “I’m not a guy who is going to bring the ball up every play, but I can run your offense and handle the ball. All the schools like how I can score, like how I get after it defensively and like how I can make plays from either the 1 or the 2.”
Hopefully it won't be long until Arizona is right where it wants to be for Allonzo Trier.
What are our chances?

Wildcats recruit Trier back in the spotlight after long journey

3 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Trier has reascended into the national rankings — he’s now ranked No. 12 overall by 247 and No. 15 by Scout — so of course has suitors. Trier said UA coach Sean Miller saw him at the EYBL event in Sacramento in April and has been recruiting him hard ever since.

Last Friday, Miller formally offered Trier a scholarship. This week, he’s helping coach Trier at the U18 trials.

While Miller cannot discuss the unsigned players he is recruiting, he said he is expecting to sign four high school players from the 2015 class. (He already has Boston College transfer Ryan Anderson as technically part of the class, along with 2015 guards Justin Simon and Tyler Dorsey.)

Miller said he expected he might sign a “big wing,” and Trier said Miller has told him how he would fit in. In return, Trier said his interest in Arizona is “pretty high,” even as he still has a list of about 14 schools he’s considering, including Kansas, Connecticut, UCLA and Louisville.

“They talk about how they’re going to use me and help me build their program, and how it could fit my ability to score,” Trier said. “I’m a little bit of a bigger guard, but I can play point guard as well. I score the ball well, and I make plays for my teammates. It’s just a matter of how a coach wants to use me.”

http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketball/ ... a20a2.html
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Chicat wrote:Chase Jeter lists Arizona as one of the four schools recruiting him the hardest: http://zagsblog.com/articles/chase-jete ... g-hardest/
Arizona: “Arizona, I like the location, I like how close to home it is. Coach [Sean] Miller has done a great job with the program. I have a great relationship with Coach Book [Richardson] and also their facilities are top of the line and their strength and conditioning programs are out of this world.”

Bada-Bing! 8-)
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Only 4 HS recruits? Am I missing something?
Zero

Post by Zero »

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 7m

Where there is smoke, there is (often) fire. Don't expect the charade of the Arizona commitment of Tyler Dorsey to last much longer.

Not sure how to post an embedded tweet.
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Allonzo Trier come on down.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Zero wrote:Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 7m

Where there is smoke, there is (often) fire. Don't expect the charade of the Arizona commitment of Tyler Dorsey to last much longer.

Not sure how to post an embedded tweet.
Use [tweet][/tweet] and put the url in between.

So https://twitter.com/ZonaZooOfficial/sta ... 5116859392 between the tweet tags.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona will only take one shooting guard in the 2015 class

one
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I assume Maria Conchita Alonso would beat Dorsey Levens in a fight.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

[quote="Zero"]Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 7m

Dorsey unwavering in commitment to cats.

3 hours ago • By Bruce Pascoe

Then there’s the fact that fellow 2015 UA commit Justin Simon is also a well-regarded combo guard — and that the Wildcats are still recruiting 2015 guards such as Isaiah Briscoe and Allonzo Trier.

Reading between those lines may have led to the speculation that Dorsey might decommit from the Wildcats, but he refuted that by posting on Twitter that he’s still a solid commit.

He also said during the USA Basketball’s U18 trials this week that he’s OK with the idea of continuing to play shooting guard in college.

“I’m not worried about that,” Dorsey said.

In any case, the U18 experience has allowed both Dorsey and Miller to learn more about each other. Dorsey and Simon did not make the list of 15 finalists for the 12-man team – though Trier and Briscoe did – but he had a chance to see UA coach Sean Miller on the floor instead of just talking to him as a recruiter or watching UA practice.

http://azstarnet.com/sports/basketball/ ... 1d68f.html
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I really hope that the pending decommitment doesn't affect Miller's reputation in any kind of negative way. From an outsider's perspective, a kid that commits to the Wildcats, then gets to spend some time with Sean and then decommits might be construed as "he liked Coach Miller until he really got to know him".
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think history should say if a player doesn't like Miller after getting to know him then said player just does not want to honor the process and we are better off without him no matter how talented he is.

No one player is bigger than "A Players Program" and Miller should never compromise that position.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I agree, but that's an insider's/true fan perspective. I'm more thinking about recruits, their parents, and rival coaches looking for anything to use against Miller on the recruiting trail.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:I agree, but that's an insider's/true fan perspective. I'm more thinking about recruits, their parents, and rival coaches looking for anything to use against Miller on the recruiting trail.
That's always going to happen. Negative recruiting is just the way of the world.

We can let people like Aaron Gordon respond.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

JMarkJohns wrote:Love long arms on the perimeter in a packline!
In many areas, long appendages are considered as a positive.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:I agree, but that's an insider's/true fan perspective. I'm more thinking about recruits, their parents, and rival coaches looking for anything to use against Miller on the recruiting trail.
That's always going to happen. Negative recruiting is just the way of the world.

...as well as Nick Johnson and his mom.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

...as well as Nick Johnson and his mom.
Or Solomon Hill. Or any of our ever growing number of players Miller has sent to the pros.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

FWIW, this from my connection with UNLV basketball, 'There's traction with the Dorsey rumors. Looks like he's going to reopen his recruitment. UNLV will most likely be on his short list".

Not sure though if this is from all the other rumors going around or something first-hand. It would also probably give him the chance to play PG as a freshman
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

More like "he liked Coach Miller until he found out that he couldn't just play point guard and would be competing with other recruits."

Wish Winger was here so he could weigh in on the Dorsey personality and reaction to it here.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:I really hope that the pending decommitment doesn't affect Miller's reputation in any kind of negative way. From an outsider's perspective, a kid that commits to the Wildcats, then gets to spend some time with Sean and then decommits might be construed as "he liked Coach Miller until he really got to know him".
what if it improves his reputation???? -- just something to think about.

and just for sh*ts and giggles, im not sure i would classify it as a decommitment per say if in fact it does happen.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:what if it improves his reputation???? -- just something to think about.
I think the only way that happens is if Dorsey turns out to be a shit, which I'm obviously not rooting for.
97cats wrote:and just for sh*ts and giggles, im not sure i would classify it as a decommitment per say if in fact it does happen.
But how do you think it will play out in the press? Writers like labels, and it's much easier to say, "Dorsey decommitted from the University of Arizona" than to say, "There was a mutual parting of ways between Dorsey and the Arizona basketball team for the following reasons...".
YoungMattOthick

Post by YoungMattOthick »

Sometimes kids just get advice, or think they are one thing more than another. I don't want anyone here that can't buy in to the team first mentality. I am also not going to bash a kid for doing what he, or his advisors, thinks is best for him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
97cats wrote:what if it improves his reputation???? -- just something to think about.
I think the only way that happens is if Dorsey turns out to be a shit, which I'm obviously not rooting for.
97cats wrote:and just for sh*ts and giggles, im not sure i would classify it as a decommitment per say if in fact it does happen.
But how do you think it will play out in the press? Writers like labels, and it's much easier to say, "Dorsey decommitted from the University of Arizona" than to say, "There was a mutual parting of ways between Dorsey and the Arizona basketball team for the following reasons...".
I'm not sure it doesn't help our profile if it happens. Recruits like prestige, and when you have more top 15 recruits interested than you can actually take, you sound pretty ****king prestigious.

How it would actually play depends on how it goes down. Not even knowing if it will, it's early to worry too much.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote: I think the only way that happens is if Dorsey turns out to be a shit, which I'm obviously not rooting for.
you might be on to something
Chicat wrote:But how do you think it will play out in the press? Writers like labels, and it's much easier to say, "Dorsey decommitted from the University of Arizona" than to say, "There was a mutual parting of ways between Dorsey and the Arizona basketball team for the following reasons..."
i think Arizona will handle with class as it always does, and let the kid translate the situation in the best possible light for himself in the press, but those that need to know (including scouts, AAU heads, HS Coaches, parents, and especially players) are already aware of why?
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Bottom line ....... is Dorsey the type of player we even want wearing an Arizona uniform. Every time we hear a Dorsey quote it's I, me , mine . Doesn't sound like a team player willing to buy into the process. I'm sure CSM will handle this properly when the time comes .
Last edited by CatnapTom on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97's posts are are telling as ever!

Interesting stuff.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote: I think the only way that happens is if Dorsey turns out to be a shit, which I'm obviously not rooting for.
you might be on to something
Chicat wrote:But how do you think it will play out in the press? Writers like labels, and it's much easier to say, "Dorsey decommitted from the University of Arizona" than to say, "There was a mutual parting of ways between Dorsey and the Arizona basketball team for the following reasons..."
i think Arizona will handle with class as it always does, and let the kid translate the situation in the best possible light for himself in the press, but those that need to know (including scouts, AAU heads, HS Coaches, parents, and especially players) are already aware of why?
Good stuff Jon. Appreciate the insight!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

The true shall make you free?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i failed at my upload of a video....still adjusting i guess
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

hey 97 if dorsey does "reopen" his commitment, does that mean, 100%, he will not be a wildcat in your opinion? I would imagine that is the case but this doesn't seem to happen all that often in basketball the way it does in football
97cats

Post by 97cats »

in the end i dont think he will be a Wildcat
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:i failed at my upload of a video....still adjusting i guess
All you need is the string of letters/numbers after the last slash mark in the URL. Paste that in between the [youtube][/youtube] and that should work.

So for instance:

http://youtu.be/1MeP9bTv_90

Cut out "1MeP9bTv_90" and paste between [youtube][/youtube] and you get:

[youtube]1MeP9bTv_90[/youtube]
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I keep hearing Briscoe.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Irish27 wrote:I keep hearing Briscoe.
im told "either" would be fine --

Briscoe almost committed last yr around this time so .... ....... ......................
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Hoping it is Trier over Briscoe.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

I think Trier is a better fit with our roster based solely on shooting ability and creating space offensively, but I wouldn't complain about landing Briscoe. In regards to Dorsey just remember that high level basketball products are a very small community. They are typically well aware of what's going on in a situation and aren't "fooled" by what's put out publicly.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

The Goat wrote:Hoping it is Trier over Briscoe.

Either one looks like they would be a great addition .
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

The Goat wrote:Only 4 HS recruits? Am I missing something?
I saw the full quote. He said 4 for the early signing date, and probably one more later in the season.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

UAEebs86 wrote:
The Goat wrote:Only 4 HS recruits? Am I missing something?
I saw the full quote. He said 4 for the early signing date, and probably one more later in the season.
Rabb is waiting for the Spring to sign. Sounds about right to me :mrgreen:
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Alieberman wrote:97's posts are are telling as ever!

Interesting stuff.
:geek:

For reals
salim'sheadband

Post by salim'sheadband »

So excited. I'm pretty excited for this year too!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

salim'sheadband wrote:So excited. I'm pretty excited for this year too!
I get the feeling we will be able to say this every year for as long as Miller coaches here.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

At least one school on that list doesn't seem to belong with the others.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat49 wrote:At least one school on that list doesn't seem to belong with the others.
Yeah, Arizona.

The rest of those teams suck. ;)
97cats

Post by 97cats »

97cats wrote:Arizona is right where it wants to be with Ray Smith
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
97cats wrote:Arizona is right where it wants to be with Ray Smith
Stay tuned?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

via OBs...

The buzz in the recruiting circles is that Arizona is the team to beat for Smith. And there might be something to that.

"I'm not going to say they're in the lead, but I would say Damon Stoudamire offered him really early, when he wasn't ranked that high. That was big for us," said Smith about the Arizona assistant. "Damon saw something in the kid before anyone else did. They've always been around. I think that's why everyone assumes that Arizona was the frontrunner. We definitely like Arizona. We're not saying we're going there."
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

the real dill wrote:via OBs...

The buzz in the recruiting circles is that Arizona is the team to beat for Smith. And there might be something to that.

"I'm not going to say they're in the lead, but I would say Damon Stoudamire offered him really early, when he wasn't ranked that high. That was big for us," said Smith about the Arizona assistant. "Damon saw something in the kid before anyone else did. They've always been around. I think that's why everyone assumes that Arizona was the frontrunner. We definitely like Arizona. We're not saying we're going there."
OBs? Orangebloods?