Sean Miller Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Sean Miller's ceiling

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:What did Coach K do his first 10 years as a coach?

What has Miller done his first 10 years as a coach?

Any questions?
Yes. So you're implying that because of this supposed parallel between the two coaches' first 10 years, we should expect that Miller is likely to go on and achieve something similar at AZ to what K has done at Duke?

So not happening.
So you're implying that because you're depressed about a conference loss and identifying with the loss at some kind of personal level, we should expect your prognostications about Sean Miller's ceiling to bear any kind of adherence to how the future will unfold?
No, you shouldn't expect that. You should expect this year's team to reach the FF. So let's check back in like five or six weeks and see if they break from Miller's pattern.
So if Sean Miller doesn't make his first Final Four at the age of 46, in his second year with a pre-season top-6 team, then that's his pattern or ceiling that he can't break away from or break through?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:What did Coach K do his first 10 years as a coach?

What has Miller done his first 10 years as a coach?

Any questions?
Yes. So you're implying that because of this supposed parallel between the two coaches' first 10 years, we should expect that Miller is likely to go on and achieve something similar at AZ to what K has done at Duke?

So not happening.
"So not happening"? Moon Unit (Dweezil's sister) called - she wants her 80's Valley-girl cliches back.

Pretty unlikely that any coach accomplishes what Krzyzewski has. If Miller achieved 1/2 of what K did he would go down as unquestionably the greatest coach we will ever have.

Coaches develop over time. Bosy's point clearly illustrates that for anyone with a modicum of deductive reasoning.

I'll go one better... What did John Wooden accomplish in his first 15 years of coaching? By your standards he should never have been kept around that long, which is what it took him to reach his first Final 4; he was 52 at the time. "He'll never be able to compete with Pete Newell, otherwise he would have already!"

But your ridiculous notion that the first 5, 10, or whatever years dictate a coach's ceiling in terms of career accomplishment is inane. Nothing new.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

BeachCat forgot to take his bi-polar meds I see.

Can't wait to bump this later in the season when he's all over Miller's nuts.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Bad loss but it is not the end of the world. After what happened last year in Tempe and what Miller and Byrne did as a result, I was not expecting this and lots of people have been hurt as a result.

But the Lute event was outstanding on Friday.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Machina wrote:Bad loss but it is not the end of the world. After what happened last year in Tempe and what Miller and Byrne did as a result, I was not expecting this and lots of people have been hurt as a result.

But the Lute event was outstanding on Friday.
Please elaborate.
Machina

Post by Machina »

No Tip Off Taste this year which was a huge fund raiser for scholarships. (see hints)

Lute stepped it up though. Todd Walsh interviewed Lute in front of 200 fans and honored Lute and Phoenix Country Club. Lute was outstanding. Told great stories as did Walsh.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Was a coaching change necessary after Lute Olson took a 2 and 3 seed and drove them off a cliff in the first round?

This is such a ridiculous conversation. Playing in Elite Eights means playing for Final Fours. Sean Miller is young and will improve as a coach. The pipeline will continue to be strong. And we will consistently compete for Final Fours. A ball going halfway in and out in 2011 and a crazy offensive foul call in 2014 are not coaching. Yet the naysayers would be idolizing Miller if either of those two plays went the other way, without a peep of how easily it could have gone against us.

Sucky fans suck.
gumby

Post by gumby »

But we're hurting NOW! Someone must pay NOW! Because this is "unacceptable" NOW!

Fascinating how it's basically crickets after six-straight victories, and a braying mass of whiners after a loss.

Dumbasses. Entitled dumbasses.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

gumby wrote:But we're hurting NOW! Someone must pay NOW! Because this is "unacceptable" NOW!

Fascinating how it's basically crickets after six-straight victories, and a braying mass of whiners after a loss.

It's really just sad.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

It's like a little kid with a toy.

They are fine when the toy is in front of them, but take it away for 2 seconds and they lose their minds.

The nearsightedness of some of the posters on this board is unbelievable.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If 3 shots in the past 3 tourneys had gone in, what would the ceiling whiners be whining about exactly?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
az91

Post by az91 »

EVCat wrote:Was a coaching change necessary after Lute Olson took a 2 and 3 seed and drove them off a cliff in the first round?
And just like Lute, Miller will have a few teams that underachieved. This year's team is definitely heading in that direction.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

az91 wrote:
EVCat wrote:Was a coaching change necessary after Lute Olson took a 2 and 3 seed and drove them off a cliff in the first round?
And just like Lute, Miller will have a few teams that underachieved. This year's team is definitely heading in that direction.

Yeah all is lost. You are priceless.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I don't even read the majority of these threads after losses anymore
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

az91 wrote:
Just like when they lost to Arizona State last year around this time of year.

Oh yea, that team was a shot away from the Final Four.

Seriously, when has a Miller team not been going full speed in the Tournament? Last year was especially tough and they still were a shot away from the Final Four.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

gumby wrote:But we're hurting NOW! Someone must pay NOW! Because this is "unacceptable" NOW!

azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

This season and last Miller is 53-8. I think that's pretty good, can 97cats confirm this for me?
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

This is as bad if not worse than the "Can Sean Miller Recruit" thread from TOS. Offense comes and goes, but the defense should remain consistent. If we are not consistent on D we lose. No one is above criticism, that is understood. But be realistic about it and look at the numbers SM has achieved here. Relax, sit back, enjoy the ride.
gumby

Post by gumby »

az91 wrote:
Just like every coach, actually.

What does "heading in that direction" even mean? That in 1993, you just knew in February that the Santa Clara loss was coming? Ditto, 1992 with East Tenn. State? Conversely, you could judge the 2009 team in February (16-8, 6-5 on Feb. 7) and predict it would overachiece and get to the Sweet Sixteen? Just knew that 1997 team (15-5, 6-3, Feb. 5) would win a natty while in the midst of conference struggles? That the 5th-seeded Wildcats would blow out Duke and get to the EE in 2011 (after squeaking by Memphis and Texas) by evaluating the team in February?

How does one know a team is headed in that direction? Please, let me in on the secret so I can contact Vegas.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

gumby wrote:

What does "heading in that direction" even mean? That in 1993, you just knew in February that the Santa Clara loss was coming? Ditto, 1992 with East Tenn. State? Conversely, you could judge the 2009 team in February (16-8, 6-5 on Feb. 7) and predict it would overachiece and get to the Sweet Sixteen? Just knew that 1997 team (15-5, 6-3, Feb. 5) would win a natty while in the midst of conference struggles? That the 5th-seeded Wildcats would blow out Duke and get to the EE in 2011 (after squeaking by Memphis and Texas) by evaluating the team in February?

How does one know a team is headed in that direction. Please, let me in on the secret so I can contact Vegas.
pls continue -- dont stop
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
az91 wrote:

What does "heading in that direction" even mean? That in 1993, you just knew in February that the Santa Clara loss was coming? Ditto, 1992 with East Tenn. State? Conversely, you could judge the 2009 team in February (16-8, 6-5 on Feb. 7) and predict it would get to the Sweet Sixteen? Just knew that 1997 team (15-5, 6-3, Feb. 5) would win a natty while in the midst of conference struggles?

How does one know a team is headed in that direction. Please, let me in on the secret so I can contact Vegas.
One of college basketball's biggest assets is the "madness" ensuing from masses of people who don't know enough about the history of the game and the nature of one-and-out tourney competition between two teams that don't really know each other. So let's not undermine that asset by dismantling the "heading in that direction" myth.

We could note Sean Miller's pattern of tourney failures or disappointments. Or we could recognize that pattern as a set of Sweet 16's and Elite 8's. Barring any unforeseen injuries, this year will be the first year ever that Sean Miller brings an arguably top-4 team to the tourney. And yet we're already talking "ceiling".
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Longhorned wrote: this year will be the first year ever that Sean Miller brings an arguably top-4 team to the tourney. And yet we're already talking "ceiling".
Were we not the #1 ranked team entering the tournament last year?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

KaibabKat wrote:
Longhorned wrote: this year will be the first year ever that Sean Miller brings an arguably top-4 team to the tourney. And yet we're already talking "ceiling".
Wanna say we weren't the same team after Bash went down...I know stats may not show it....
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

KaibabKat wrote:
Florida
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:
That was a "barring injuries" question. Arizona was granted one of the four top seeds in the tourney, but that seed was earned through an undefeated start until Ashley went down in February, followed by 4 losses. And it ended with an overtime loss on the final possession of the Elite Eight.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:
Wanna say we weren't the same team after Bash went down...I know stats may not show it....
They do. I posted in another thread pre and lost bash injury adj o and adj d
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:
They do. I posted in another thread pre and lost bash injury adj o and adj d
Gotcha, wasn't sure.

The way Bash has played defensively this year, I wonder if AdjD would improve...
milbarge

Post by milbarge »

KaibabKat wrote:

#4 in both polls going into tourney. Florida, Wich St, Nova ahead of us
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Machina wrote:No Tip Off Taste this year which was a huge fund raiser for scholarships. (see hints)

Lute stepped it up though. Todd Walsh interviewed Lute in front of 200 fans and honored Lute and Phoenix Country Club. Lute was outstanding. Told great stories as did Walsh.
:lol: :roll:

You are relentless if nothing else...
gumby

Post by gumby »

I'm not a ...

gumby

Post by gumby »

Too many ...

Merkin

It's all fun and games until...

Post by Merkin »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Miller was p...ssed at the refs. Intense.

A bigger problem probably was getting to the line in the first place. UA took only 14 free throws while ASU took 28.

After the game, a reporter asked UA coach Sean Miller about officiating, saying that he appeared to be upset by it. (Check out the Fox Sports screen shot on allsportstucson)

Miller said: "I was upset with our team."
http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/w ... 9228b.html
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

HiCat wrote:Miller was p...ssed at the refs. Intense.

A bigger problem probably was getting to the line in the first place. UA took only 14 free throws while ASU took 28.

After the game, a reporter asked UA coach Sean Miller about officiating, saying that he appeared to be upset by it. (Check out the Fox Sports screen shot on allsportstucson)

Miller said: "I was upset with our team."
http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/w ... 9228b.html

Miller was trying to get a T during the game. I fully expect people to criticize his sideline behaviors, although I think most of it was warranted.

I don't think you'll ever hear Miller complain pregame or postgame about the officiating in the PAC ever again. It is clear that there have been issues, and appear that there still are issues. I know that it is a common theme from conference to conference about the officiating in CBB, and something needs to be done about the way games are called.

Personally all I want is some consistency. And I am not even talking game to game. I am talking within the game. You can't watch a game like the one on Saturday and figure out wtf is going on. 7 FT in the 1st and over 30 in the 2nd shows that the way the game was called changed over time. How can a team continue to play defense the same way throughout a game when what was not a foul suddenly becomes one? How can a hand check or a screen not be a foul in the first half, but become one in the second?

It's always so surprising to me that a team can get absolutely blown out of McKale, and I mean blown the fuck out, and a month later they become world beaters in their home arena. I also will never understand how a team that shoots more FT's than the other teams in their league attempt suddenly can't seem to find a way to get to the line....so odd...

I do think that the officiating totally changed the way UA played Saturday. When TJ picked up his 2nd, and I wanna say we were like up 7 or something with about 9 to go in the 1st, Arizona consistently settled for contested jumpers and failed to crash the offensive boards (which is one thing Miller has pointed to as a way to not get foul calls). Players seemed tentative on Saturday to man up on defense, and my thought was the fear of getting another foul. Perhaps Miller was pissed both at the officiating and the fact that his players were letting the officiating take them out of what they do.

With all that said, nothing will change until we get to the tourney...which is why it is the best time of the year.
gumby

Post by gumby »

More free throws. More one-point possessions. Don't believe we made consecutive tosses in that game. Hard to come back when the other team is hitting 80 percent, despite being a poor FT team. They raised their level. We dropped ours. In all facets.

UCLA crushed in SLC. Win at home. Happens a lot. That's why coaches preach "focus."
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller on ASU loss

"You'll learn a lot about our team this weekend.." sic

http://tucson.com/online/video/more-spo ... 948ef.html
az91

Post by az91 »

gumby wrote:More free throws. More one-point possessions. Don't believe we made consecutive tosses in that game. Hard to come back when the other team is hitting 80 percent, despite being a poor FT team. They raised their level. We dropped ours. In all facets.

UCLA crushed in SLC. Win at home. Happens a lot. That's why coaches preach "focus."
Miller doesn't have the players this year that can execute his defense effectively.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

az91 wrote:
Miller doesn't have the players this year that can execute his defense effectively.
Yea, must be why our AdjD is 7th in the country. Let's ship these players out. I think those guys over at Notre Dame would do better executing this defense, don't you? Maybe the Iowa State guys, now that I think of it...
milbarge

Post by milbarge »

dcZONAfan wrote:
az91 wrote:
Yea, must be why our AdjD is 7th in the country. Let's ship these players out. I think those guys over at Notre Dame would do better executing this defense, don't you? Maybe the Iowa State guys, now that I think of it...
Not only is it 7th but our Kenpom AdjD this year is 88.2, last year we were #1 AdjD with an 88.5. So according to Kenpom our AdjD is actually better this year.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

milbarge wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
az91 wrote:
Not only is it 7th but our Kenpom AdjD this year is 88.2, last year we were #1 AdjD with an 88.5. So according to Kenpom our AdjD is actually better this year.
UK's historic AdjD has continued to go up as well. With a strong finish Arizona could easily have the top AdjD in the country going into March Madness.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

az91 wrote:
gumby wrote:More free throws. More one-point possessions. Don't believe we made consecutive tosses in that game. Hard to come back when the other team is hitting 80 percent, despite being a poor FT team. They raised their level. We dropped ours. In all facets.

Is it hard to be wrong all the time?
Machina

Post by Machina »

I see a lot of talk about KENPOM and AdjO and AdjD. How much of it is this year's team and how much of it is the weak competition?

Some stats are better this year but my eyes and heart tell me last year's team was better, even without Ashley
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Uh oh, someone has a lack of understanding!!!
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Sean Miller's ceiling is the moon.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Machina wrote:I see a lot of talk about KENPOM and AdjO and AdjD. How much of it is this year's team and how much of it is the weak competition?

Some stats are better this year but my eyes and heart tell me last year's team was better, even without Ashley
If any post was just begging to be bumped...again and again...
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

az91 wrote:

What's effectively? Can an opponent ever score in order for it to be effective? Olson probably wouldn't have sniffed the top 10 in efficiency with his scheme and this team.

Interior defense was god awful at ASU. Atrocious. It's an anomaly and it will be fixed. Not the norm. The pack line isn't broken, at all. And that's the glory of it, the system typically trumps most personnel deficiencies.

You watch the games, right?
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Machina's eyes and heart > KenPom's revolutionary analytics software.

I knew it!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

threenumberones wrote:
az91 wrote:

What's effectively? Can an opponent ever score in order for it to be effective? Olson probably wouldn't have sniffed the top 10 in efficiency with his scheme and this team.

Interior defense was god awful at ASU. Atrocious. It's an anomaly and it will be fixed. Not the norm. The pack line isn't broken, at all. And that's the glory of it, the system typically trumps most personnel deficiencies.

You watch the games, right?

Just a point on your post...Miller was asked what the problems with the interior defense were against ASU...and he said the problems weren't the interior, but the perimeter defense. To many players getting past defenders, able to dribble drive into the paint.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Bosy Billups wrote:Sean Miller's ceiling is the moon.
One of these days he may show some Pac-12 ref his ceiling.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat34 wrote:Machina's eyes and heart > KenPom's revolutionary analytics software.

I knew it!

He missed the word "adjusted"...or perhaps he doesn't know what that term means. Maybe he's from Pitt...