Pac-12 Tournament 2015

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Gilbertcat

Re: Pac-12 Tournament 2015

Post by Gilbertcat »

Its always funny watching AZ fans leave and whatever game is next have a small crowd. I understand the 4 northwest schools are far away but the rest can fill it up too. But there is one team in this conference...
UofACat23

Post by UofACat23 »

Gilbertcat wrote:Its always funny watching AZ fans leave and whatever game is next have a small crowd. I understand the 4 northwest schools are far away but the rest can fill it up too. But there is one team in this conference...
Vegas and Arizona are a perfect match because (1) Arizona is really good so there's always the chance we make the Finals, and (2) Arizona fans know how to have fun.

I don't think another fan base has both of those qualities which is why Arizona dominates the attendance.
Machina

Post by Machina »

ASUHATER! wrote:What are the odds this was some scheme by Larry to try to shut out Arizona fans and get other fans to buy tickets? Normally 90% of them would've just been gobbled up by Arizona fans. What if only Arizona fans couldn't buy tickets today...
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Honestly I haven't understood this promotion the past 2 years - I understood it in year 1 to drive interest (plus the unique 12-12-12 date) but now it seems odd from a business perspective to unload inventory early at a discounted price.

I guess it's still to drive interest/buzz, but it's clear this year that they seriously constrained the inventory available at $12 , seemingly cut it from a couple thousand to less than a thousand.

If you're going to do that, you have to have a better way of dealing with the "lottery" than the shitshow that the PAC put out there yesterday. All that did was reinforce existing bitterness.

And while I don't think it's a conspiracy (though it's fun to joke about), there is no doubt that the PAC knew that 90% of the the buyers yesterday were going to be AZ fans. (Certainly based on the Twitter gripes at the PAC, that seems like a conservative estimate).

It really doesn't matter as barring an unthinkable collapse in program quality , we are going to own that place for as long as the tournament is there.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Dosia wrote:I personally think the popularity of this tourny has exploded and they want to sell the more expensive all session passes vs the $12 for arizona game tickets. They just didnt offer many tickets plain and simple.
True but last year Az made up 75-80% of the entire tournament. Bet if Arizona fans didn't show up in masses it wouldn't be "as popular" Arizona drives the market here, lets be honest. Every game the Cats aren't involved in the tickets on stubhub are half the price. I stayed for the UCLA Stanford game last year and the atmosphere was night and day. Was like a college game vs a little league game. Larry Scott might be an ass wipe but he knows this as well as scalpers. 4 ticket cap makes sense, but Wtf am I suppose to do with 2 tickets? :evil:
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Sell them to me. I couldn't get in on the action yesterday but I'd love to go w/ wife or friend.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

There are plenty of tickets available every session. You just have to hit up the scalpers and don't do it wearing Az gear or they will jack the price. Also the losing fans will sell each day
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

azcat49 wrote:There are plenty of tickets available every session. You just have to hit up the scalpers and don't do it wearing Az gear or they will jack the price. Also the losing fans will sell each day
So it's easy to scalp ea day? Where? Outside the hotel? or it just happens in and around the bars inside and such?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Starts at the walk way from MGM to the arena. You see plenty of guys near the food court hawking tickets. If you just need 2 each day I wouldn't worry. Price is always an issue though but they are negotiable
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

azcat49 wrote:Starts at the walk way from MGM to the arena. You see plenty of guys near the food court hawking tickets. If you just need 2 each day I wouldn't worry. Price is always an issue though butvthey are negotiable

Right on. Thanks.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

I talked to a couple people last year and they got tickets on Craigslist for each session. Some of their tickets were great although for the championship game they ended up about as high as you can get
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I'll likely have some tickets for sale come tourney time...won't be the best seats, but you'll get into the game...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Plan on booking my room this weekend. As for tickets, any recommendations on the way to go? Buy single session when they become available? Scalp? All session pass?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Gotta say, that even in a loss on Saturday, having that arena filled with Arizona fans was awesome...and I can't wait until Vegas is filled with red/blue as well.

Nothing in the PAC remotely close to how Arizona travels. Fun times ahead.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Yeah I am counting down the days.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote:Gotta say, that even in a loss on Saturday, having that arena filled with Arizona fans was awesome...and I can't wait until Vegas is filled with red/blue as well.

My vision of McKale North far surpassed the reality of watching a game there. Even before the loss was certain, the upper deck really wasn't that filled and the UofA supporter energy was kinda weak.

Glad I went (expect for the loss of course) but overall a very underwhelming experience. Doubt I return to watch a game in that dump.

Can't wait to get to vegas some day. that will be fun.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Need to find a way to get to Vegas CST. Make it happen when you move west
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Gotta say, that even in a loss on Saturday, having that arena filled with Arizona fans was awesome...and I can't wait until Vegas is filled with red/blue as well.

My vision of McKale North far surpassed the reality of watching a game there. Even before the loss was certain, the upper deck really wasn't that filled and the UofA supporter energy was kinda weak.

Glad I went (expect for the loss of course) but overall a very underwhelming experience. Doubt I return to watch a game in that dump.

Can't wait to get to vegas some day. that will be fun.
Yeah, I pretty much go every year to Tempe and we haven't had the best success there recently...but especially now I like going after seeing McKale and comparing it to their dump. I really am going to stop calling it "McKale North" because it disparages what McKale is now.

I thought it was funny that they took down the banner that restricted the seats up top, but then didn't managed to sell out those seats. Even funnier were the banners hanging in the rafters for "Tourney Appearances" and "Conference Champions". Next time you're in there, just laugh and point.

Vegas is epic. At least last year was. I wasn't the biggest fan of conference tournaments, mostly seeing as they are cash grabs, but I give Larry Scott credit for one thing--moving it to Vegas. The MWC has their championship in town too and it was packed with college basketball fans, mostly Arizona Fans...which made it fun.

Looking forward to this year cause we are actually crashing in the Grand.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Awesome thanks.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

For those that got tickets through Ticketmaster, I was just talking to the box office at the MGM and they said we'll either get our tickets on Tuesday, or they're getting shipped out on Tuesday. Either way, should have tickets by next week!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The 12-12 ones? I have mine waiting in my acct. I can print or transfer to someone else.

Probably selling my round 1 tickets which is Game 5/6. #1 seed vs the winner of Game 1(#8 vs #9 seed) as well as # 4 seed vs the winner of Game 2(#5 vs #12 seed).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I know that if you bought the Full pass from the MGM direct, the tix will be printed and sent a couple of weeks before the tourney.
sublime_cat

Post by sublime_cat »

Hey ya'll, good to see this board picking up steam. I used to post on the old board as biz cat.

Curious to see if anyone has extra Friday/Saturday tickets or knows where to get them at reasonable prices. If so, please send me a message or just post here. I've been all over the resale sites and I haven't found anything at a price that didn't hurt me right in my cheap soul.

I need two tix per day, btw.

Thanks and Bear Down
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I threw some up on stubhub. Section 203. What are you looking to spend?
sublime_cat

Post by sublime_cat »

Olsondogg wrote:I threw some up on stubhub. Section 203. What are you looking to spend?
As little as possible lol. I was hoping for lower or mid level tix for Saturday at a bare minimum without having to shell out more than a couple hundred. Is that reasonable at this point or should I prep to shell out some dinero?

So pissed at myself for missing the 12/12 and 1/12 deals :(
sublime_cat

Post by sublime_cat »

The best I've found is like $175 per ticket in the mid level.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I think my thurs tix are $80 apiece and my champ tix are $180 apiece.
Oilfield Cat

Post by Oilfield Cat »

I was out last year and went with no tix in hand. Was able to buy from people there and the back up is the stub hub ticket store that they have about a mile or so from the MGM (it is back behind Ceasars)...Ended up paying anywhere from $50 to $125 for tickets to each game...all were in the lower section - great venue and great time! Got the All Tourney Pack this time around.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

There is no shortage of tickets once teams start getting bounced or a person realizes they lost too much at the tables and needs some food money. Its almost annoying trying to get to the gate with the amount of people selling tickets every 5 feet. Plus with the cops all around, I would feel pretty good about buying from random dudes (unless they take off running right after you get the tickets).
Oilfield Cat

Post by Oilfield Cat »

Another important note for Cat fans entering the arena...we learned last year that you can take in one (1) drink in plastic/disposable cup as you enter the arena...an important note as the cocktails inside are stout from a pricing standpoint - but going in with a 32 ounce mixed drink seems to make the pregame warmups that much more entertaining AND a bit more economical before having to purchase inside!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

looking for a single for the SEMIS Friday night -- flights booked
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Oilfield Cat wrote:Another important note for Cat fans entering the arena...we learned last year that you can take in one (1) drink in plastic/disposable cup as you enter the arena...an important note as the cocktails inside are stout from a pricing standpoint - but going in with a 32 ounce mixed drink seems to make the pregame warmups that much more entertaining AND a bit more economical before having to purchase inside!

It was nice playing Utah first last year. No lines for beer with those fans.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I think with Utah being good this year, the prices have gone up even more. Besides Arizona, they're a fan base that has a good amount of fans. I think the CATS will dominate attendance, but Utah will have its fair share, which has made finding tickets effing annoying. Last year Utah was fairly average and they had a nice little gathering of fans. Probably second or third with the Bluffs. The all tournament passes have sold out so finding single session tickets are hard as well. I know in the past Az fans have bought session tickets through other schools who don't travel. Next year I'm probably going to do the all tournament pass.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

cats101 wrote:I think with Utah being good this year, the prices have gone up even more. Besides Arizona, they're a fan base that has a good amount of fans. I think the CATS will dominate attendance, but Utah will have its fair share, which has made finding tickets effing annoying. Last year Utah was fairly average and they had a nice little gathering of fans. Probably second or third with the Bluffs. The all tournament passes have sold out so finding single session tickets are hard as well. I know in the past Az fans have bought session tickets through other schools who don't travel. Next year I'm probably going to do the all tournament pass.
What are you looking for...I have 2 tickets available for all sessions that Arizona (the 1 seed) should be in...

PM me if you are interested.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Got my tix today. Awww yeah
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I used to enjoy going to Staples. As a basketball junkie, I loved showing up to the first day (that mattered) at Noon, purchasing a ticket in the "premier" section of the lower bowl that had its own entrance/concessions. Can't remember what that section is called...PR1-12, maybe? Whatever...those who have been there know what I mean. I'd often go out to LA alone...some "me" time. Get a room downtown, walk around and check things out before noon, meet up with some friends in between sessions, and watch 4 games of basketball on Thursday, two on Friday, and one on Saturday. The early session on Thursday was pretty sparsely attended, but I didn't mind...I'd bring my iPod, listen to some music or podcasts in between games, check my phone, and then geek out on basketball. Sometimes, I was the only person in my entire section for the first game...which was fine. I liked it. I recognized it wasn't optimal for the conference, and was pretty sad on TV, but it was basketball.

I had no idea how much better it could get. My first time walking into the MGM arena for an Arizona game was the first tournament there. It was alive. Just a totally different feel than even a game in McKale. The excitement was thick. The celebration fully underway. It was one of the best sports experiences of my life. Then the game was over and I went out into Vegas proper...and it was like the arena was everywhere. Red clad Cats fans everywhere. Bear Down as a greeting set to repeat. It was truly the Arizona Invitational. "He Touched the Ball" happened, which sucked, but nothing could match that first game, the first experience in that arena. It had all the fun that comes with a tournament environment, which is helped in part by fans of all teams being present. And they were there...just outnumbered 10-1. I swore I'd never, ever, ever, ever not go.

Then I didn't go last year. There was a ton going on, we had just had some medical expenses pop up, and it just wasn't going to happen. The first arena image on the broadcast let me know I had made a mistake...I should have found a way.

There just isn't anything like it. I love McKale, but the vibe is just different. The tournament is even better than an Arizona home game, because everyone else had equal opportunity to buy those tickets, and we STILL own the place. It is less home game than hostile takeover. The crowd is younger, more fun, and the environment is not just about one game like a home game, but more an event. Every hardcore Arizona fan has to experience it. My wife and I are going this year, meeting some friends for a mini-reunion like we did the first time. And I swear, for reals this time, that I will not miss it again.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

EVCat wrote:I used to enjoy going to Staples. As a basketball junkie, I loved showing up to the first day (that mattered) at Noon, purchasing a ticket in the "premier" section of the lower bowl that had its own entrance/concessions. Can't remember what that section is called...PR1-12, maybe? Whatever...those who have been there know what I mean. I'd often go out to LA alone...some "me" time. Get a room downtown, walk around and check things out before noon, meet up with some friends in between sessions, and watch 4 games of basketball on Thursday, two on Friday, and one on Saturday. The early session on Thursday was pretty sparsely attended, but I didn't mind...I'd bring my iPod, listen to some music or podcasts in between games, check my phone, and then geek out on basketball. Sometimes, I was the only person in my entire section for the first game...which was fine. I liked it. I recognized it wasn't optimal for the conference, and was pretty sad on TV, but it was basketball.

I had no idea how much better it could get. My first time walking into the MGM arena for an Arizona game was the first tournament there. It was alive. Just a totally different feel than even a game in McKale. The excitement was thick. The celebration fully underway. It was one of the best sports experiences of my life. Then the game was over and I went out into Vegas proper...and it was like the arena was everywhere. Red clad Cats fans everywhere. Bear Down as a greeting set to repeat. It was truly the Arizona Invitational. "He Touched the Ball" happened, which sucked, but nothing could match that first game, the first experience in that arena. It had all the fun that comes with a tournament environment, which is helped in part by fans of all teams being present. And they were there...just outnumbered 10-1. I swore I'd never, ever, ever, ever not go.

Then I didn't go last year. There was a ton going on, we had just had some medical expenses pop up, and it just wasn't going to happen. The first arena image on the broadcast let me know I had made a mistake...I should have found a way.

There just isn't anything like it. I love McKale, but the vibe is just different. The tournament is even better than an Arizona home game, because everyone else had equal opportunity to buy those tickets, and we STILL own the place. It is less home game than hostile takeover. The crowd is younger, more fun, and the environment is not just about one game like a home game, but more an event. Every hardcore Arizona fan has to experience it. My wife and I are going this year, meeting some friends for a mini-reunion like we did the first time. And I swear, for reals this time, that I will not miss it again.
Epic man, just epic. I am beyond excited. Beers will be purchased for anyone here I run into!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yup, that was a good post. I have season tickets but i sell them to a colleague since I am out of Tucson now. Went to Staples one year and Found it a terrible experience. Went to Vegas in year 1 and would not miss this event ever. It is just as EVCAT said.

Oh, and ODogg, I want that beer buddy But I am buying the second and third for you
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat49 wrote:Yup, that was a good post. I have season tickets but i sell them to a colleague since I am out of Tucson now. Went to Staples one year and Found it a terrible experience. Went to Vegas in year 1 and would not miss this event ever. It is just as EVCAT said.

Oh, and ODogg, I want that beer buddy But I am buying the second and third for you
Cool deal man. My Brother-in-law will be there with a small contingent of friends...

I wasn't too happy with the beer choices at the venue, but I heard there was a local taproom (in Ceasars I think?). Hit me up when that week rolls around and lets get those pint glasses filled!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Will do. The alumni event at the Diablo on Wednesday is always fun and we have a suite at the MGM to tailgate before the game begore we tank ip and make the trip over to the garden arena. We always have plenty of drink, mixers and beer. Always go with Dosia and his crew and we usually hook up with DC who has worked the tourney after the last game of each night
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

azcat49 wrote:Will do. The alimni event at the Diablo on Wednesday is always fun and we have a suite at the MGM to tailgate before the game begore we tank ip and make the trip over to the garden arena. We always have plenty of drink, mixers and beer. Always go with Dosia and his crew and we usually hook up with DC who has worked the tourney after the last game of each night

We hit up the alumni even, mostly to get the t shirt. We are staying at the Grand this year. You got 2 expectant fathers here together, both UA grads, without their hormonal wives, for a weekend in Vegas.

So yeah, we are gonna have fun!
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Olsondogg wrote:
cats101 wrote:I think with Utah being good this year, the prices have gone up even more. Besides Arizona, they're a fan base that has a good amount of fans. I think the CATS will dominate attendance, but Utah will have its fair share, which has made finding tickets effing annoying. Last year Utah was fairly average and they had a nice little gathering of fans. Probably second or third with the Bluffs. The all tournament passes have sold out so finding single session tickets are hard as well. I know in the past Az fans have bought session tickets through other schools who don't travel. Next year I'm probably going to do the all tournament pass.
What are you looking for...I have 2 tickets available for all sessions that Arizona (the 1 seed) should be in...

I wish but I'm in need of 3-4 (1 is slightly undecided). Any chance you would have any more?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Olsondogg wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Yup, that was a good post. I have season tickets but i sell them to a colleague since I am out of Tucson now. Went to Staples one year and Found it a terrible experience. Went to Vegas in year 1 and would not miss this event ever. It is just as EVCAT said.

Cool deal man. My Brother-in-law will be there with a small contingent of friends...

I wasn't too happy with the beer choices at the venue, but I heard there was a local taproom (in Ceasars I think?). Hit me up when that week rolls around and lets get those pint glasses filled!
What I did was go to the bar with video poker between games and get a bunch of free drinks and then take one it.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

cats101 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:

I wish but I'm in need of 3-4 (1 is slightly undecided). Any chance you would have any more?
No, I only have 2 together...
PerpEph

Post by PerpEph »

The wife and I will be there for our third straight year. Last year we did a ton of drinking at Pub 1842 with some cool Colorado Bros and, on another occasion, 97Cats and his boys. It's right next to the arena and has a great beer selection. Great pre-game place.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So now that we have clinched the 1 seed we know we tee it up at noon on Thursday and 6 on Friday. Friday we need to get one hell of a pre game party on and march our way in.

Would love to play ASSU on Thursday and just beat them to death. Would hate to play Tinkle and his zone
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Received my tickets from the UA ticket office yesterday.

Road trip in 10 days.
gumby

Post by gumby »

azcat49 wrote:So now that we have clinched the 1 seed we know we tee it up at noon on Thursday and 6 on Friday. Friday we need to get one hell of a pre game party on and march our way in.

Would love to play ASSU on Thursday and just beat them to death. Would hate to play Tinkle and his zone
Pretty good chance of ASU. Pretty good chance it's Cal/Stanford repeat.
Right where I want to be.