Statistical Jump

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Re: Statistical Jump

Post by gumby »

luteformayor2 wrote:
gumby wrote:Nobody can score at will. Nobody can "get to the rim any time they want." Nobody is unstoppable. Stan had 8 Friday. Left his will in the locker room? No. He struggled, like all players sometimes.

P.S. Arenas was up and down, too.

How about they put together consistent season-long excellence before deification?
Yeah, I would say his numbers reflect consistent season-long excellence exactly how it is defined. 15 and 8 with his fg% is pretty fucking impressive for a freshman on a top tier team.
Better in January. Really picked it up five games ago. Averages don't measure consistency. He is impressive.
Right where I want to be.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

We are now closing in on UVA for the 2nd spot in Kenpom. We passed the Zags 2 weeks ago and managed to shed the ASU loss drop and still are getting close to the top.

Uk .9792
Uva .9639
UA .9593

If you took the Winger idea that a balanced championship caliber team needs to be top 20 in ADJo and ADJd then there are 7 teams that can win this year:

UK - 8 and 1
Uva - 17 and 2
UA - 12 and 5
Zaga - 5 and 21 (close enough) BEAT THEM
Utah - 15 and 7 BEAT THEM
Nova - 9 and 15
Kansas - 14 and 16

We have beat 2 of those teams
Kansas and UK have both beaten 1
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

We are now closing in on UVA for the 2nd spot in Kenpom. We passed the Zags 2 weeks ago and managed to shed the ASU loss drop and still are getting close to the top.

Uk .9792
Uva .9639
UA .9593

http://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjDE
hope this is the right link
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Am I the only one who believes that UK's Adj D is suspect given the conference they play in?
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Am I the only one who believes that UK's Adj D is suspect given the conference they play in?
Their defense is predicated on athleticism.

UVA is strict packline with mid-range athletes but not elite.

Ours is elite athletes in a system.

I will take ours.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

CalStateTempe wrote:Am I the only one who believes that UK's Adj D is suspect given the conference they play in?
I don't know man, when they want to play D they definitely pass the eye test. And btw, the SUC is probably better than the Pac.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

AdjD is now #3 in nation.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

luteformayor2 wrote:AdjD is now #3 in nation.
Holy crap, and Utah is 4? And our AdjO is almost the same?

This could be the game of the century!!!

UTAH should win on their home court and we can't be mad if so.

But if we win....wow, just wow.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Through today's games there are only two teams that are in the top 20 adj o and adj d. Kentucky and Arizona. Utah, Gonzaga, Villanova, kansas, and Virginia meet one of the two criteria, but fall short right now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wisconsin is moving up fast on AdjD. Still at 46, though.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Virginia has been tumbling on offense over the last two weeks.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

WildcatStunner wrote:Virginia has been tumbling on offense over the last two weeks.
Not having Anderson has hurt them
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Duke and Wisconsin will not win with their horrific D. UVA has no chance with their shit offense (as of late).

Top picks: UK and UA
2nd tier: Kansas and Nova
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

luteformayor2 wrote:Duke and Wisconsin will not win with their horrific D. UVA has no chance with their shit offense (as of late).

Kansas has really come around, I agree. If there isn't a Self-implosion, they'll be rocks. Wisconsin will be just fine until they play a team that's really strong on both sides of the ball. Duke could lose at any time to some team we may never have heard of until then.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Longhorned wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:Duke and Wisconsin will not win with their horrific D. UVA has no chance with their shit offense (as of late).

Kansas has really come around, I agree. If there isn't a Self-implosion, they'll be rocks. Wisconsin will be just fine until they play a team that's really strong on both sides of the ball. Duke could lose at any time to some team we may never have heard of until then.
Who loses first - Duke or Gonzaga?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

luteformayor2 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Who loses first - Duke or Gonzaga?
Depends on seedings---of everyone.

On a side note, I still never understand people who go "This team will make the final 4" without seeing their path. I mean, some parts of brackets are brutal and some aren't. Remember Arizona in the Russ Pennell year? Remember when we made the Sweet 16 and who we played to get there, and who we played when we got there?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:

Kansas has the same developmental path every single year. Shaky start followed by the inevitable Big 12 conference title.

I have more faith in Duke this year. I know that is also a yearly theme, but unless Okafor's injury dogs him, this is their most talented lineup in a long time.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Duke can't play D. They will have a typical Tourney, out prior to the EE.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Bosy Billups wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:AdjD is now #3 in nation.
Holy crap, and Utah is 4? And our AdjO is almost the same?

This could be the game of the century!!!

UTAH should win on their home court and we can't be mad if so.

But if we win....wow, just wow.

If they try the same m2m defense like the first time, it will be another cakewalk. As UCLA showed, even a mediocre/bad squad can hold UA scoreless for long stretches with a simple zone D that packs the paint and forces RHJ, TJ and SJ to be 3pt shooters. Allow those three to get into the paint and you can turn the lights out, game over.

I think we're going to see more of the same from UU. Zona by 12
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:
I have more faith in Duke this year. I know that is also a yearly theme, but unless Okafor's injury dogs him, this is their most talented lineup in a long time.
Yep. They have the nation's best player not named Kaminsky. Duke can reach the FF.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
luteformayor2 wrote:
Yep. They have the nation's best player not named Kaminsky. Duke can reach the FF.
You don't watch as many Duke games as do.

I wouldn't put money on them
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

As noted above (or in the other thread), it depends on matchups with Duke. If a team has some big bodies and length and can slow down Okafor with doubles or some other scheme, Duke is going to have to rely on outside shooting. Defensively, they can not compensate for an off shooting night that will come in the tournament.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'd take Duke, Virginia, Wisky and Zag in Arizona's bracket all week long.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:I'd take Duke, Virginia, Wisky and Zag in Arizona's bracket all week long.
Don't want any part of Okafor or Kaminsky. I expect both of those guys to reach the FF.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Neither of those guys are the type of A+ players who single handedly guide teams to the FF.

Generally it is guards and wings who can do this, not centers. Stanley Johnson has a better chance of leading us to the final four then Kaminsky or Okafor.
OsideCat

Post by OsideCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:Neither of those guys are the type of A+ players who single handedly guide teams to the FF.

Generally it is guards and wings who can do this, not centers. Stanley Johnson has a better chance of leading us to the final four then Kaminsky or Okafor.
Ummm Kaminsky dropping 27 against us in the elite 8 doesn't count for leading his team to a final 4?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

luteformayor2 wrote:Neither of those guys are the type of A+ players who single handedly guide teams to the FF.

LOL, where were u last year?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

There is no one common formula to get to a Final 4. Typically it takes being good at the right times.

If there was a formula to get there, then teams would be doing it over and over. The only formula is to get good players to play together well and to do well for 4-6 games.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

#2 in Kenpom!!!!

Virginia win tonight will put us back at 3, but if we win out this week we will have a very solid grasp on #2. It is crazy how focused the committee is on RPI. We are looking real nice right now.

Let's win out and jump to #1 in the west! BYU beating the Zags would be awfully helpful.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:There is no one common formula to get to a Final 4. Typically it takes being good at the right times.

If there was a formula to get there, then teams would be doing it over and over. The only formula is to get good players to play together well and to do well for 4-6 games.
I disagree somewhat. Winning your first four tourney games by any means is a pretty good formula unless you are John Calipari.
UAGreg

Post by UAGreg »

luteformayor2 wrote:#2 in Kenpom!!!!

Virginia win tonight will put us back at 3, but if we win out this week we will have a very solid grasp on #2. It is crazy how focused the committee is on RPI. We are looking real nice right now.

Let's win out and jump to #1 in the west! BYU beating the Zags would be awfully helpful.
I'm seeing us as 3.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAGreg wrote:

I'm seeing us as 3.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Jerry Palm had an article where he said RPI is the only metric they consider.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:

In Grantland's article it was said that individual members could bring in and consider any metric they want.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Chicat wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
In Grantland's article it was said that individual members could bring in and consider any metric they want.
Well at least they cleared that up for us.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Pyth .9629

First time this year in the .96 threshold. A win over Utah could very well vault us above UVA (.9662)

Current teams top 20 in Adj and Adjo:

UK
UA
Zaga
Utah

We beat...a few...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

#2 in KenPom.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

in late, but I would take Gonzaga to last longer than Dook this year. I think Dook is a Sweet 16 upset waiting to happen and this Gonzaga team is finally strong enough at all 5 positions to be a real beast. They will eventually run into a team that goes lights out (BYU tonight) or is just too physical for them (UK, UA, Virginia) that will end their season. But I gained a lot of respect for this year's Gonzaga team when they played us at McKale. They didn't just answer scoring with scoring...they answered with stops as well. Their physical presence is just much more notable this year than in year's past, when they really were a mid major playing good mid major ball. They are a legit team this year, though they have never been a legit 1 seed. They belong in the 2-3 world.

And Kaminsky flat out led UW past us and into the Final Four last year...and damn near got the comeback in the national semis...because he can go inside and out. He is such a tough matchup when he is hitting because he is a stretch post player who doesn't just play token post, but can really seal and go to town on the block and at the arc. You need a 6'9" guy with 7'1" wingspan, a healthy foot and some athleticism to guard him when he starts taking his game to the perimeter. Something we were missing
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

#2 in KenPom

Once again we are the only team (including Kentucky) who is consistently gaining steam in the team analytics.

UVA's offense is plummeting. Duke and Wisconsin's defense are non-existent.

Kentucky is who I want in April. That game needs to happen.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

looks like there's an espn insider article regarding our offense. I don't have insider, so can't read the entire thing, but here's the link to the article and first few paragraphs

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college ... basketball
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Puerco

Post by Puerco »

We're up to #7 offense...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy