CalStateTempe

Re: Nick Johnson

Post by CalStateTempe »

Mine too.

Congrats NJ!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Morey isn't a bad GM for Nick. Great for him.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Congratulations Nick, hoping you have a good career ahead of you.
:)
Bruins02

Post by Bruins02 »

Did the rockets draft him to help cover for Harden's defensive liability?
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

Bruins02 wrote:Did the rockets draft him to help cover for Harden's defensive liability?

:lol:
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Happy for AG and thrilled for NJ.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

good job nick. hopefully he gets used a lot to take harden's place when the rockets need some defense played. no idea if nick will ever be a consistent starter in the league, but if he can be a career 6th man/defensive stopper/athletic spark off the bench for the next decade then that would be great i think.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Congrats Nick! Well done.
ElGatoBlanco

Post by ElGatoBlanco »

Bruins02 wrote:Did the rockets draft him to help cover for Harden's defensive liability?
Seriously was the first thing that came to my mind as well.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Chad Ford draft grade for Houston:
HOUSTON ROCKETS | GRADE: C-

Round 1: Clint Capela (25)

Round 2: Nick Johnson (42)

Analysis: The Rockets are busy trying to clear cap space for a run at LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. Again, I'm not sure how likely it is they land either guy, but both players are worth the effort. So the Rockets took a player in Capela, whom they can leave in Europe to develop -- and he needs the time. Capela is long and athletic, but very raw. His analytics numbers were off the charts for Kevin Pelton, but watching him in games was pretty painful. He has a ways to go. Johnson, who is tough and super-athletic, could help now if the Rockets have a roster spot. He defends and can shoot it a bit. If he were a few inches taller, he would've gone much, much higher.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft201 ... fresh=true
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Awesome for NJ. Congrats. That's not the worst analysis.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Happy for Nick. One of the most successful young men from the state of Arizona. Just google him.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Congratulations, Nick. One of my all time favorite Cats.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

[youtube]xtl9PFHf0OE[/youtube]

[youtube]zcQ0MDoLyAk[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtl9PFHf0OE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcQ0MDoLyAk
Last edited by the real dill on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

the real dill wrote:[youtube]xtl9PFHf0OE[/youtube]
FYP...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I remember NJ's tweet about how Harden plays no D. Funny now, but still 100% true.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I thought he would go around 44th, even better. So happy for him. So we missed the pick on TV right? Came back from commercial and the Hawks were up with the 43rd pick. Obviously not in attendance?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:I thought he would go around 44th, even better. So happy for him. So we missed the pick on TV right? Came back from commercial and the Hawks were up with the 43rd pick. Obviously not in attendance?
Yes to both. It took me a second to realize he'd been picked.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
The Goat

Post by The Goat »

Was definitely wrong about him. Can someone tweet Goodman and ask him if it was still a mistake for Nick to leave early?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Awesome for Nick
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

When's the last time a UA guard got drafted and played in the Association? Bayless?
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Really happy for Nick. His hard work, and his enthusiasm, have really paid off.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Really happy for Nick. His hard work, and his enthusiasm, have really paid off.
He'll probably start in the NBDL (just how the Rockets handle rookies), but there is no reason outside of a trade he shouldn't be in the 8 man rotation by the All Star game.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

So happy for Nick. Amazing to think how far he's come.

I wonder if this will finally stop the "Miller can't produce NBA talent" crap.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

NJ deserves it. He improved greatly every year under Miller and if he keeps it up, he should have a nice NBA career.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

3 year contract is not normal for that late of a pick right? What are we talking, $1.6ish/year?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:3 year contract is not normal for that late of a pick right? What are we talking, $1.6ish/year?

Don't understand that either, 2nd round contracts don't have to be guaranteed either. They expecting Nick to be another Gilbert Arenas?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Jefe wrote:3 year contract is not normal for that late of a pick right? What are we talking, $1.6ish/year?

Don't understand that either, 2nd round contracts don't have to be guaranteed either. They expecting Nick to be another Gilbert Arenas?
They want to lock Nick up. Good for him, because his play has earned that treatment.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I think the Rockets realize they found someone that can contribute right away off the bench and who also might have a pretty high ceiling considering he can shoot, board, play defense and provide some high-octane athleticism.

Nick might be considered a diamond in the rough...but we all knew having seen him play day in and day out.

Good for him and good for the program. :)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Canaan was taken 32nd last year and is making $816k. Nick will be a combo 1/2 depending on who's in. I watched a lot of his summer games and he was all over every play. Rebounding, passing, shooting, driving, stealing, everything. He would have averaged 10+ assists per if his teammates could finish.

Cant wait to see a lob from Dwight to Nick

Rockets trying for Bledsoe?

http://forwardtimesonline.com/2013/inde ... a%E2%80%9D
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

"Steals" of the draft always make me chuckle...those that are surprised are those that don't watch CBB

The fact that a 1/2 dozen PAC players went before NJ is a joke.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Hey, I watched almost every game of Nick's career and I still had my doubts. I still have them. Awesome that he got the contract. I hope he takes the league by storm.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

NYCat wrote:When's the last time a UA guard got drafted and played in the Association? Bayless?
lets see...our other recent draftees:

aaron gordon sf (pf)
solomon hill (sf)
derrick williams (pf)
jordan hill (pf)
chase budinger (sf)
jerryd bayless (sg)
hassan adams sf
channing frye (pf)
salim stoudamire (sg)
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

thenewazcats wrote:Hey, I watched almost every game of Nick's career and I still had my doubts. I still have them. Awesome that he got the contract. I hope he takes the league by storm.

Doubts are fine, nothing is guaranteed. But to be surprised by it is another thing...nobody should be shocked when the PAC POY plays well on a b-ball court.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Lol. Found this on the Rockets message board:

"ChankMcStank

I like Johnson. I like the way he penetrates."

Houston fans are having a load of fun with the Johnson references. lol. Most seem thrilled that he was signed.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

"Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets," Harden said while appearing at a charity event in the Philippines, according to The Philippine Star. "The rest of the guys are role players or pieces that complete our team. We've lost some pieces and added some pieces.

"I think we'll be fine next season."

During an appearance on the "Jay Mohr Sports" show on Fox Sports Radio, Parsons reacted strongly when told what Harden reportedly said.

"That's a pretty ridiculous statement if he meant that," Parsons said. "That's part of the reason I wanted to go to Dallas, because I'm ready for that next step. I'm ready for a bigger role, and I'm ready for more leadership.

"If anybody should understand that, it's James, because he was in the same situation in Oklahoma City and then he got his chance to come to Houston and shine. I'm not real sure what that means."

Parsons, 25, averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.0 assists per game to help Houston win 54 games last season.

In Harden's third NBA season, he averaged 16.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.7 assists as Oklahoma City's third option behind Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. Harden's statistics shot up to 25.9 points, 4.9 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game in his first season after being traded to the Rockets.

This isn't the first time that Parsons has publicly acknowledged being bothered by comments coming from his former team. He was "offended" by Rockets general manager Daryl Morey's opinion that the Rockets were better off not exercising the right to match the Mavs' offer for Parsons because it would have prevented Houston from having the flexibility to add the star needed to complement Harden and Parsons.

"We feel strongly that turning down Chandler's option gives us a better chance to win a championship than not turning it down," Morey said on Sports Talk 790 AM in Houston the day after Parsons officially became a Maverick. "It really comes down to the question of, Harden, Howard, Chandler, what chance does that [core] have a chance of winning a championship?"
wait wait, Mohr has a show again?!
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'm surprised Mohr has a career at all.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Unlistenable.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Jay Mohr is ear rape. It is wholly and woefully awful.

I listen to Dan Patrick nationally. I'll listen to static-fuzzed KTAR for sports in Flag over Mohr, etc.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

JMarkJohns wrote:Jay Mohr is ear rape. It is wholly and woefully awful.

I listen to Dan Patrick nationally. I'll listen to static-fuzzed KTAR for sports in Flag over Mohr, etc.
DP is the only thing worthwhile to listen. If I want to hear bad analogies and the repeat of every thing said, I mean every thing said...like literally everything said over and over....everything....I put on Cowherd.

Other than that, nothing is worthwhile.

I guess also SVP if I drive my wife's car with Sirius...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I don't have SVP, and can only tolerate Cowherd's smug ignorance for a laugh or 20 minutes max.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Gotlieb drives me crazy. Every segment takes 10 minutes to get to a point, any point. Every topic is prefaced by a 5 minute analogy that is so bad I still have no clue what it being discussed.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2139 ... in-the-nba
Why Houston Rockets Rookie Nick Johnson Will Have a Long Career in the NBA

The Houston Rockets only had one first-round pick in the 2014 NBA draft, but after snagging Nick Johnson at No. 42, they might as well have had two.

A low ceiling likely limited Johnson to just second-round consideration for most teams. At 6'3", Johnson falls short of the NBA 2-guard height requirement. And he's not a point guard—at least not by traditional standards.

There isn't exactly a position on the floor where Johnson has a distinct advantage, and without that mismatch potential, his upside is perceived as limited.

But that's just why he wasn't taken with a first-round pick. I'd be willing to bet Johnson would have gone in the top 25 had he measured in two inches taller.

Johnson's limited upside might keep him out of All-Star games and starting lineups, but it shouldn't stop him from bringing something to the table as a role player. The Rockets apparently feel the same way, given they just inked him to a fully guaranteed three-year deal, per Shams Charania of Realgm.com.

He finished his first Summer League experience with averages of 13.7 points, five boards and 3.3 assists through 13 games in Orlando and Las Vegas. And though some of his flaws and weaknesses were exposed, so were his strengths, which should hold legitimate value in the NBA, even if it's to a supporting cast.

Johnson ultimately does enough things well to help make up for the drop-off his scoring average will see caused by a lack of size and length.

One of things that should help neutralize Johnson's physical disadvantage is his superhero-like athleticism. We're talking about one of the best leapers you'll see at any level, having got up for a whopping 41.5-inch max vertical leap at the NBA combine. Johnson gives off the impression that he's got springs in his kicks or that the paint is his own personal trampoline.

He ended up shooting 68.2 percent at the rim last season, per Hoop-Math, a reflection of his ability to finish high above it.

The fact that he ended up in Houston, where the Rockets have finished in the top five in pace in back-to-back seasons, bodes well for Johnson, given how potent he is on the open floor.

The big question surrounding Johnson has always concerned his projected role in the half court, where he lacks the instincts of a facilitator and the measurements of a scorer. This question likely led to teams passing on him 41 total times.

However, Johnson excels in a few areas offensively that should allow him to thrive without a natural NBA position—especially as a member of a second unit.

For starters, he shot 38.4 percent on his catch-and-shoot three-point attempts last year, per DraftExpress. His pull-up game brought his shooting percentage down, but when placed off the ball, his accuracy in spot-up situations should translate favorably.

And though not the craftiest ball-handler or shot-creator, Johnson can at least put pressure on the defense with the dribble, whether he's pushing the ball up the floor or attacking an open lane.

Johnson might not be able to run an offense at the point for long stretches of a game, but as a secondary ball-handler he's a willing passer with a high basketball IQ.

Still, one of the things scouts raved about most over the past year was Johnson's leadership and competitiveness. An off-game from Johnson in the box score doesn't necessarily mean an off-game on the floor.

That's what ultimately separates Johnson from other combo guards or tweeners who haven't been able to stick. He's the type of guy who can make an impact on those days when his shot just isn't falling.

One of his more memorable college moments came this year in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament, when he missed his first 10 shots against San Diego State and then erupted for 15 points on jumpers and free throws in the final three minutes.

He's fearless, which shows during pressure situations, and he's relentless, which shows up on defense. Johnson doesn't exactly have lockdown tools, but with his drive, energy and athleticism, he's capable of pestering opposing ball-handlers from baseline to baseline.

I like the Avery Bradley comparison for Johnson in terms of how he can contribute at both ends of the floor.

Johnson spoke about his transition and why he'll fit into the pro game, per Lang Whitaker of NBA.com:

I think my game fits really well. In the NBA, I have the ability to use my athleticism a lot more than I did in college. I believe that the floor, the spacing is a lot wider with so many shooters around. I saw that a little bit in both of these summer leagues. And with my ability to make plays and get after it on the defensive end, I feel it will translate pretty well.

Johnson won't win any awards, and chances are he'll spend most of his career coming off the bench. But every winning team needs role players, and a few inches in height and length shouldn't stop Johnson from presenting himself as one with value.

Between his jaw-dropping bounce, his team-first intangibles and threatening ball-handling and shooting ability, Johnson should last a long time supporting featured scorers and playmakers.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Wait until they find out how well he plays D too...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I heard he signed his contract today with the Rockets but I did hear terms. Anyone else hear what he got?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

azcat49 wrote:I heard he signed his contract today with the Rockets but I did hear terms. Anyone else hear what he got?

No, but here is another thread trying to follow all signings

http://forum.prodigaleyelid.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=581
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I get the feeling Sean is a little tired of hearing people say Nick shouldn't have gone to the NBA yet.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

AZCatGirl wrote:I get the feeling Sean is a little tired of hearing people say Nick shouldn't have gone to the NBA yet.
Loved seeing Sean praise Nick like that. You can't ask for more. You can hope, they were darn close, but it was as a much a "well done" as it was "congratulations."