Start York!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gumby

Start York!

Post by gumby »

POG. On another note, Pitts needs to let it fly. Passing up shots.
Right where I want to be.
UAEebs86

Re: Start York!

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:POG. On another note, Pitts needs to let it fly. Passing up shots.
When he missed that one three and got the ball right back, he should have shot it again, but got gun shy.
He was still wide open behind the line - a good shot. Gabe would have jacked it up. :)

Tried to take it inside, think it ended up in a turnover.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Pitts has one made 3 the last 3 games, and 3 in his last 5.

I can see why he is gun shy.
Pop McKale

Post by Pop McKale »

He's also been boarding and playing pretty good D, too. Had a few nice dimes last night as well.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Pop McKale wrote:He's also been boarding and playing pretty good D, too. Had a few nice dimes last night as well.
Ya that pass he made to Tarc after 3 players collapsed on him was a thing of beauty
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Arizona hasn't needed Pitts' scoring. He's been helping in other ways. Very solid.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

How huge was that follow on the missed free throw tonight? That was the play that won the game. Without that play, Utah doesn't start fouling under a minute and they have a much, much better chance to win.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Amazing. And no replay.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

That rebound off the missed ft won the game. He also hit that big three when Utah appeared to have stuck the dagger in us. Yorks been playin great ball down the stretch.
Zona_Soccer10

Post by Zona_Soccer10 »

York could very well be our key come tournament time. He's picked up the flack for others the past few games when we've needed it most.
I love his effort and energy.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

If you told me at the beginning of the season that York and Zeus would be two of the best players at the end of the season, and that Johnson and Ashley's stock would drop, I would say you were crazy.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

His defense was really superb as well. He'll be a great senior leader next year.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Tarc was the POG. York is fine coming off the bench.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I was joking,

But Gabe was my POG in that game. Not the Utah one. Highest offensive efficiency game of any Cat this year.
Last edited by gumby on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:I was joking,

But Gabe was my POG in that game. Not the Utah one. Highest offensive efficiency game of any Cat this year.
Sigh. I guess I should look at the time you posted. Sorry.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Pop McKale wrote:He's also been boarding and playing pretty good D, too. Had a few nice dimes last night as well.
No hesitation from York. Drives the gap and hits the floater or the open man again and again!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Makes Arizona virtually unscoutable when he and Zeus are on. Can't defend six starters, and Stanley and Rondae are never out of a game.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

It is really unfortunate that he will be transferring after the season.

And he must have naked pictures of Sean Miller's wife, considering he is the only player in the last few years who gets PT even though (according to a few board experts, anyhow) he has continued to play matador D for the past 2 years.

Kid has been money of late...
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

York has been nails. And you just hope this is the time when he totally gets it.

I've never been down on Gabe's defense much. He drifts mentally...not the most focused player around. But many, including me, have killed him for never hitting a big shot when it mattered. He was the king of the 3rd possession trey or the 17 point lead dagger. And I was starting to get worried again tonight...he missed a contested 3, then an open three, shortly before the FT. He gets the line, and misses a FT...

...and then he makes every doubter shut up with his quick reaction to the missed FT.

I love it. This is my team. I don't cheer for one Wildcat over another, ever. I want them all to do well. I certainly don't care enough about winning message board arguments to want one player to do something to support a prior post. But Gabe deserved a lot (not all) of the criticism he received. He has a tendency to make bonehead plays and drift mentally. But something is clicking right now, and hopefully this is when the promise meets the scoresheet. Because, holy hell...we are really good when Gabe is good.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

EVCat wrote:York has been nails. And you just hope this is the time when he totally gets it.

I've never been down on Gabe's defense much. He drifts mentally...not the most focused player around. But many, including me, have killed him for never hitting a big shot when it mattered. He was the king of the 3rd possession trey or the 17 point lead dagger. And I was starting to get worried again tonight...he missed a contested 3, then an open three, shortly before the FT. He gets the line, and misses a FT...

...and then he makes every doubter shut up with his quick reaction to the missed FT.

I love it. This is my team. I don't cheer for one Wildcat over another, ever. I want them all to do well. I certainly don't care enough about winning message board arguments to want one player to do something to support a prior post. But Gabe deserved a lot (not all) of the criticism he received. He has a tendency to make bonehead plays and drift mentally. But something is clicking right now, and hopefully this is when the promise meets the scoresheet. Because, holy hell...we are really good when Gabe is good.
He has had his issues, but has played very well, and oftentimes at critical moments, in the stretch run of this conference season. He had some really big defensive plays tonight as well.

He's not Rondae or TJ as far as on-ball defense... But no one else on the team is. He has caught as much sh*t as Mayes did his last 2 years and he has been a much, much bigger contributor.

Maybe I am missing something and he really does have a bad attitude, but I have never seen any evidence of it - which is why I have always pulled for the kid. I am thrilled to see him play well and hope it continues.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Ive never seen an ounce of bad attitude from York. Hes frustrating with his inconsistent play, which has been less inconsistent down the stretch
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Love Gabe York. He stuck with the program when lots of folks thought he might transfer after his Freshman year. He stuck it out and is a true Wildcat.

I met his Mom during FB season, started talking about UA sports and she said "my son is on the BB team. I figured maybe one of the scrubs, but when I asked who, she said "Gabe York". I told her how much I like his game, and she thanked me. Later, she came back around and I said "Do you know what I like most about Gabe?" She said "what?", and I said, "his attitude". She said that really made her feel proud. And she should be proud. Gabe stuck it out when it wasn't certain that he would ever start or play a meaningful role. Well, I have to say, he is a VERY important part of this team and I'm so glad he stuck it out.
Airizona

Post by Airizona »

Gotta give huge props to Gabe after that trip. He played really well in both games and made the two biggest plays down the stretch at Utah (the free throw put back and then the blocked 3). Great to see him persevere
gumby

Post by gumby »

York breaks Miller rule in grabbing rebound.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2233774-15 ... breaks-the
The rule at Arizona is that ones and twos don't chase offensive rebounds, York said.

But as a shooter, he said, he knew he'd missed his second free throw - and how he'd missed it - the moment it left his hand.

"After I saw it bounce twice, I just sort of looked at myself and thought 'Oh, I could actually go get this,'" York said.
What motivated him? Fear!
It was late in the game and I knew I had missed the free throw so I knew coach might have been a little bit pissed-off at me," he said.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
Remember a photo like this in the 2003 Regional Final. Hinrich blocking Gardner's three.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Love Gabe York. He stuck with the program when lots of folks thought he might transfer after his Freshman year. He stuck it out and is a true Wildcat.

I met his Mom during FB season, started talking about UA sports and she said "my son is on the BB team. I figured maybe one of the scrubs, but when I asked who, she said "Gabe York". I told her how much I like his game, and she thanked me. Later, she came back around and I said "Do you know what I like most about Gabe?" She said "what?", and I said, "his attitude". She said that really made her feel proud. And she should be proud. Gabe stuck it out when it wasn't certain that he would ever start or play a meaningful role. Well, I have to say, he is a VERY important part of this team and I'm so glad he stuck it out.
Cool story BBQ....nicely done Sir! Bear Down.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

gumby wrote:
How does he get (and/or keep) a girlfriend if he's not on facebook or instagram?